Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

areyoucontagious posted:

This would not have ruined the scene.

In Star Trek, now that you mention it, one of my irritations is why give Spock so goddamn much of that red matter when all he needed was a very tiny bit? That is just asking for trouble.

Well, he was on his way to hoover up a supernova with it, and they're pretty big.

(Even though the supernova was shown as a slowly expanding ball of fire, and also described as about to destroy the entire galaxy. Supernovae do not work that way!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw Aliens for the first time 2 years ago and it blew me away. I suddenly got all the references to it in the video games I played. Video games would be so different today if Aliens wasn't made.

Really, I thought it was a perfectly made action movie. Lots of tension and great atmosphere with just the right amount of explosions.

Did you someone how just miss it or are you one of those wretched young people? I'm literally scared that there are people born in the 90's on SA. It sucks.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, but even in the beginning when he fires it off at the supernova, he uses just a tiny little bit. And it creates a black hole that sucks them back in time. It did seem like he had probably 10,000 times as much of the stuff as he needed, though blowing up all of it at once seems to only have the same effect as blowing up a tiny bit of it.

On the subject of star trek, Nero's motivations really didn't make much sense. He, for whatever reason, blames the federation for natural phenomena. He hates the federation and Spock because his planet gets blown away in a supernova (as noted above, literally blown away, which doesn't really make much sense as its told as if its some distant star that goes supernova), I mean, christ, its an exploding star, and where is Romulus in either A: doing something about it if its so easy, or B: evacuating if it was predictable? Also, he makes a bunch of comments about saving romulus by blowing up assorted Federation planets, even though there is not even the most attenuated of causal connections between vulcan and an exploding star. It would be one thing if he decided that since his world (literal and figurative) ended, he was going to just generally be out to destroy poo poo. Maybe a little 2 dimensional as far as antagonist motivations go, but passable, but his whole revenge/protection theory was just stupid.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Yeah, Nero's motives make no sense at all. Instead of saying "Well, thanks for at least trying, Spock." he went straight to "It was entirely YOUR fault and I will hunt you through space and time and kill countless thousands for my revenge on you, personally! And then I'll let you go and dump you in a cave from which you can see Vulcan, somehow." :argh:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Insanitylad posted:

I have always paid really close attention to a movies soundtrack, and it more than anything can pull me in or push me out of a film.

Two instances where in an otherwise fantastic movie is brought to a halt are in Inglorious Basterds, and the new JJ Abrams Star Trek. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these movies to death, but . . .

In Inglorious Basterds there is the scene just before the final climax of the film when operation Kino is about to go underway, Shosanna is putting on makeup and before heading downstairs, and David Bowie's Cat People starts playing... In a movie that otherwise kept things at least somewhat in period, this just threw me off... to this day I firmly believe that it if it were not for this one scene that the movie would have had a legitimate shot at winning Best Picture.

Did you miss the scene earlier in the film where a defective Nazi murders his superiors to the tune of a Billy Preston rock song.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tardstar posted:

Did you someone how just miss it or are you one of those wretched young people? I'm literally scared that there are people born in the 90's on SA. It sucks.

I just missed the whole series somehow. I've watched Terminator, Robocop, and all that good stuff.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Tardstar posted:

I was born in '84, and I haven't seen any of the Alien series (Edit: or Robocop, for that matter). I don't think I've see any of the Terminator series all the way through, just caught bits and pieces at a time on TV if it's playing. I did watch the Predator movies, though.. on up through AvP.

Walfry
Sep 6, 2007

GoodbyeLaika posted:

"...fava beans and a nice chianti."

It's pronounced kee-ON-tee, not kee-ANN-tee you are well educated and would know this god drat.

On a similar line with this, what got me more was the actor who played Hannibal in the first film adaptation of the books (Brian Cox in 1986's Manhunter). He dropped his R's when he spoke. I agree that Hannibal would know how to pronounce chianti (unless it was intentional), but at least that's small. No way in hell, ever, would Hannibal drop his R's.

On top of that, sticking with this movie, was the whole climax. It wouldn't have bothered me so much except that for the "Red Dragon" remake there were a lot of speculative references to whether it could be better than Manhunter. It was like... really? Critics liked that? Did they stop watching right before Inna-Gadda-da-Vita started playing? Must have. It's even got a 7.2 on imdb for crying out loud. I laughed the whole way through the climax. Not a comedy.

The Onion AV club did a feature a way back on Bad Scenes in Good Movies. Very literally my first thought was "Wonder if they put the shower scene from Elephant in there?" and there it is, #10.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-bad-scenes-happen-to-great-movies,1460/

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I have very few gripes with movies (I try to take everything with a grain of salt), but 2 come to mind.

1. In "The 9th Company", during the climax, there's a last stand atop the hill the company is stationed at. Over the course of the battle, pretty much every character gets killed off until in the end, there's only 1 left. The Soviet commander shows up and is like "Oops we kind of forgot you guys were here, our bad. We're leaving Afghanistan." I decided to look it up afterward, and HOLY poo poo this couldn't be far from the truth. The USSR High Command (or whatever you want to call them) were in contact with them the entire time, giving them artillery and air support, and 30 or so people died, not all but 1. poo poo that claims it's based on a true story and all that and then is completely fabricated pisses me off.

2. In "Inglourious Basterds", when Brad Pitt and the one guy from the Office are captured by the German officer, they just sort of let the other 2 guys get killed in the theater while they escape. I'm sure there must be some reason they didn't warn them(that I'm forgetting since it's been a while), but I still think it was incredibly stupid to just let them stay in there and be killed.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ziji posted:

2. In "Inglourious Basterds", when Brad Pitt and the one guy from the Office are captured by the German officer, they just sort of let the other 2 guys get killed in the theater while they escape. I'm sure there must be some reason they didn't warn them(that I'm forgetting since it's been a while), but I still think it was incredibly stupid to just let them stay in there and be killed.

I only saw that movie once but weren't they on a suicide mission? Brad Pitt's character had the dynamite strapped to his leg too.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Ziji posted:

I have very few gripes with movies (I try to take everything with a grain of salt), but 2 come to mind.

Aldo had been captured by Landa at that point, there was no way he could get to the others and he'd have to assume they were still acting to the plan and getting out of the cinema once the bombs had been planted rather than deciding to stay and gun down the Fuehrer

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Ohh ok. I didn't know that it was a planned suicide mission. I was under the impression they were going to plant the dynamite somewhere and get out, or something. No idea why I thought that.

Oh well thanks for clearing that up for me!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Red Dragon posted:

Yeah, the "pip pip" of the motion tracker was masterful.

Robocop was a great film, (and I even liked number 2!) but how many bullets did ED-209 and the Police shoot into him without hitting his chin? I think he was shielding it for at least part, but still.

Also, who the gently caress programmed ED-209 to scream? Why would a (military) mech even need to scream? And why like an elephant? Pah.

Ed-209 roared like a jaguar and squealed like a pig. :eng101:

Though why I'm not sure. I guess it was to make the machine look/sound (more) silly.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Insanitylad posted:

"Live long and prosper. . .-bum bum chicka chicka bow bow bow-

Funky Spock!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

GoodbyeLaika posted:

"...fava beans and a nice chianti."

It's pronounced kee-ON-tee, not kee-ANN-tee you are well educated and would know this god drat.

I'm sorry what?

Chianti is definitely not pronounced Kee-ON-tee, it's not a loving french wine. It's pronounced kyahn-tee, like an italian would - being that it's an italian wine.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chianti

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Tardstar posted:

You understand that people born in 1990 can drink now right? Oh no someday adults will not have grown up in the 80s, oh no previous years will become further and further back as time continues forward at a constant rate. Get over it.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Electronico6 posted:

Ed-209 roared like a jaguar and squealed like a pig. :eng101:

Though why I'm not sure. I guess it was to make the machine look/sound (more) silly.

All I can think of is they designed ED-209 to be more "human" (or at least utilize logic like a human would) so they programmed it with base emotions like squealing as an expression of helplessness. Yeah, I'm really stretching this one but it's all I can think of besides "it cracked the crew up so we left it in there".

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Kee-ON-tee kyahn-tee

There is literally no difference between these pronunciations for tens of millions of people, you are just being difficult

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Walfry posted:

The Onion AV club did a feature a way back on Bad Scenes in Good Movies. Very literally my first thought was "Wonder if they put the shower scene from Elephant in there?" and there it is, #10.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/when-bad-scenes-happen-to-great-movies,1460/

I'm confused, they don't really say why it was a bad scene. I thought it was good in that it really drove home how little the two of them had really lived, how young they were etc. The scene is hardly erotic, or exploitative, it's just a brief kiss.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

All I can think of is they designed ED-209 to be more "human" (or at least utilize logic like a human would) so they programmed it with base emotions like squealing as an expression of helplessness. Yeah, I'm really stretching this one but it's all I can think of besides "it cracked the crew up so we left it in there".

What I always wondered is why in the hell did they put live rounds in it, for the first demonstration where the executive gets killed in the board room? I love Robocop 1 and 2, and I think the ED-209 is one of the neatest robots ever to grace the silver screen, but the fact that they walked a loaded weapon into a roomful of CEOs has always struck me as silly.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
When I heard Keanu was starring in The Matrix my reaction was "Oh boy another Keanu classic :rolleyes:". As I started watching it I was genuinely surprised at how well he fit the role and didn't Keanu it up too much, until the horrible "Jujitsu...I know...jujitsu" line. All I could do was :ughh:

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011
my loves, I was born in 89 and let me tell you what suprise it was to see Terminator 1 or 2. When I was allowed to see T1 I was shocked that Terminator is the bad guy cause i heard thar arnold is the hero(t2 was already out) and then bam Arnie is the villian. By the time I saw T2 i was 100% sure that Teminator was the bad guy and bam! black is white up is black i was shocked and Arnie was a goid guy :D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Stoatbringer posted:

Well, he was on his way to hoover up a supernova with it, and they're pretty big.

(Even though the supernova was shown as a slowly expanding ball of fire, and also described as about to destroy the entire galaxy. Supernovae do not work that way!)

There is so much wrong with that movie, but I still like to watch it to laugh at all the pretty colors and Kirk getting punched.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Pagan posted:

What I always wondered is why in the hell did they put live rounds in it, for the first demonstration where the executive gets killed in the board room? I love Robocop 1 and 2, and I think the ED-209 is one of the neatest robots ever to grace the silver screen, but the fact that they walked a loaded weapon into a roomful of CEOs has always struck me as silly.

I always thought that was the point of it. To look silly and make a point. The Corporate Suits are so removed from life itself, that simple safety precautions didn't cross their minds, all they want is the money in the end. The brutal death of a coworker is almost treated as a minor incident. Nobody gets fired, the Old Man's main concern is not for the dead executive but the money they going to lose because of the "glitch" and Mordon(Or whatever) even throws a joke a scene later.

It's also a funny scene in a sick twisted way. :v:

Electronico6 has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Sep 6, 2011

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Electronico6 posted:

I always thought that was the point of it. To look silly and make a point. The Corporate Suits are so removed from life itself, that simple safety precautions didn't cross their minds, all they want is the money in the end. The brutal death of a coworker is almost treated as a minor incident. Nobody gets fired, the Old Man's main concern is not for the dead executive but the money they going to lose because of the "glitch" and Mordon(Or whatever) even throws a joke a scene later.

Totally. It's a really stupid move because the characters are really stupid. RoboCop isn't exactly subtle satire-- they never thought not to load ED-209 with blanks because they didn't think anything could go wrong.

The villains in RoboCop are pretty much just That Eighties Guy from Futurama, and it's wonderful.

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.
One thing that always drives me nuts is in Pulp Fiction's scene where John Travola and Samuel L. Jackson go to the apartment to get the briefcase. They get shot at by the Jerry Seinfeld guy, and none of the bullets hit them, leaving bullet holes behind them.

But the bullet holes were already seen before they get shot at. loving drives me crazy every time I watch this scene.

ohthatdan
Jan 10, 2007

...Soldering Iron...
Time to throw a romantic comedy of sorts into the mix here.

In The Money Pit, Tom Hanks has good reason to assume that his fiancee has cheated on him, and as far as she and the audience believes, she has. His fiancee, played by Shelley Long, denies the allegation vehemently, and then eventually gives in and admits to it being true in the middle of the night. After she admits, he rightfully gets upset, but she goes even more ballistic. Yes, I understand that Hanks promises he would still love her, but her right to be upset is so ridiculous to me that it completely ruins the entire comedy and even conclusion of the movie. I hope I'm not the only person who feels this way.

I guess I just can't understand how she could possibly feel more betrayed at Hanks for being angry when she was the one who did something far worse.

Tsercele
Sep 27, 2008

As a general thing, I hate it when superhero costumes look all spic-and-span, as opposed to scratched and lived-in. It makes sense with Iron Man, whose armor is literally brand new, but if you've got characters like Batman or Thor, who go out and kick rear end on a regular basis, the armor is going to get roughed up. It's going to get scratched, worn, bashed and dented... otherwise, it looks like somebody's Halloween costume.

More specifically, I hated it how everybody in Watchmen knew stereotypical kung-fu. Rorschach, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre - all of them are busting out Matrix moves, despite the fact that most of them never received formal training. It just didn't make any sense.

The trailers for the Doom movie advertised the Rock as the main character... and it turned out to be Karl Urban. What the gently caress? If you want the movie to have star power, write it so the star has the most prominent role.

For me, Scream is really hard to watch because 99% of the characters are either a) complete assholes or b) completely incompetent. All of Sidney's friends are annoying pricks who make light of murders and suffering, the police force couldn't detect their way out of a paper bag, the reporter is actively stalking an assault victim for no discernible reason... the list just keeps going. I know that it's supposed to be metafilm, but c'mon. If you're going to parody a genre, at least try to subvert it instead of following the guidelines to a T.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

The Man with a Hat posted:

The trailers for the Doom movie advertised the Rock as the main character... and it turned out to be Karl Urban. What the gently caress? If you want the movie to have star power, write it so the star has the most prominent role.

I felt the same way, but saying "THE MOTHERFUCKING ROCK" is going to bring in more people than Karl "oh hey its that dude" Urban.

I loved that they referenced it in the movie too. I'm not supposed to die!

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
In the original Matrix movie, Morpheus is like "If you see an agent, run," and then they're all blown away because holy poo poo Neo is fighting an Agent in the Subway he must be the one!

In The Matrix Reloaded, Morpheus takes on an agent on top of an eighteen-wheeler and holds his own. It drives me nuts because they turn agents into 2-bit grunts just to make those ghosty twins the cool new bad guys on the block.

That and every time they forget about Spider-Sense. Hi I'm loving Spider-Man I'm just going to get cold-clocked left and right by everyone who takes a swing at me also you can attack me from behind while I ride my moped and I won't see poo poo coming.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
This one is so stupid, but this was one of my favourite movies as a teenager (along with Idle Hands) so it's the one that sticks out the most.

In "The Nightmare Before Christmas" there's a song called What's This? that has a really glaring grammatical error at around 1.45 - Jack sings "the smell of cakes and pies are absolutely everywhere" but it should be "the smell of cakes and pies is absolutely everywhere" because smell is singular.

So, so stupid. That kind of thing really takes me out of the magic though.

E: because pressing ctrl+v to paste a link only helps if you've copied first.

Overlord7517
Jul 9, 2007
I AM A BAD POSTER I MAKE BAD POSTS.

Pagan posted:

Because it was a planned assassination....?

But growing on your point. How come the Junior CEO who was in charge of the ED-209 did not get fired for bringing live ammo to the board room? How senile was the CEO of Omni?

Overlord7517 has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Sep 6, 2011

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Basically nearly all cinematic representations of the magic power of "hacking". I think the worst offender I can think of is Live Free or Die Hard in which the hackers hack everything under the sun from their All-Powerful Hacking Van. I think they even hacked gas mains at some point. I don't know why they just didn't hack all of John McClane's guns so they wouldn't fire.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Fantasmo posted:

That and every time they forget about Spider-Sense. Hi I'm loving Spider-Man I'm just going to get cold-clocked left and right by everyone who takes a swing at me also you can attack me from behind while I ride my moped and I won't see poo poo coming.

I only remember him being attacked on his moped once..When his Spider-Sense kicked in and he backflipped over the car as it ran over his moped.

You know even comics Spidey gets punched occasionally, right? I think of all the horrible things the Spider-Man movies did, not using his Spider-Sense correctly wasn't one of them.

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Polaron posted:

I only remember him being attacked on his moped once..When his Spider-Sense kicked in and he backflipped over the car as it ran over his moped.

I'm talking about Harry nabbing him in the 3rd movie. Sure in the comics he might get punched if he's forced into close combat but in those movies it's like they forget about it completely except to show a fly buzzing in slow motion. Lay off man it says "Irrationally" in the thread title.

edit: or to make a "eat your vegetables" joke that has nothing to do with any fight.

Fantasmo has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Sep 6, 2011

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Overlord7517 posted:

But growing on your point. How come the Junior CEO who was in charge of the ED-209 did not get fired for bringing live ammo to the board room? How senile was the CEO of Omni?

He's not fired because to the corporate suits life is literally nothing. Verhoeven's satire does not operate through being subtle. He's the kind of guy who makes NPH throw on a Gestapo uniform to point out that maybe Starship Troopers is a book that has a slight fascist slant possibly.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

FuriousGeorge posted:

Basically nearly all cinematic representations of the magic power of "hacking". I think the worst offender I can think of is Live Free or Die Hard in which the hackers hack everything under the sun from their All-Powerful Hacking Van. I think they even hacked gas mains at some point. I don't know why they just didn't hack all of John McClane's guns so they wouldn't fire.

Oh gently caress yes. But I have to disagree on Worst Offender. My suggestion is Independence Day: "NP I'll just hack the alien computer with my MacBook because hackers viruses information superhighway mathematics insert thing producer heard from nephew last week"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

gnarlyhotep posted:

Oh gently caress yes. But I have to disagree on Worst Offender. My suggestion is Independence Day: "NP I'll just hack the alien computer with my MacBook because hackers viruses information superhighway mathematics insert thing producer heard from nephew last week"

Writing the virus wasn't that hard once they found out the aliens use USB ports

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

stefania_r posted:

my loves, I was born in 89 and let me tell you what suprise it was to see Terminator 1 or 2. When I was allowed to see T1 I was shocked that Terminator is the bad guy cause i heard thar arnold is the hero(t2 was already out) and then bam Arnie is the villian. By the time I saw T2 i was 100% sure that Teminator was the bad guy and bam! black is white up is black i was shocked and Arnie was a goid guy :D

You might want to clean up that message a bit. Sloppy posting and improper capitalization are generally frowned upon here.

Anyhow, something dumb still bugs me about Toy Story. When Buzz is first trying to prove that he can "fly," he extends the wings from his back. With his wings out he glides down a Hot Wheels track and somehow makes it through a full loop, which wouldn't be possible because he would hit the track with his wings as he entered and exited it. The film is even aware of this and uses a combination of cut-away and perspective to hide it.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl
In Hellboy there's a scene where he's running across a crumbling bridge underground and it looks so fake you can clearly see him running across the air where it's already crumbled away. Sadly I can't find a video. It makes me embarrassed for the filmmakers that they kept it in.

• Locked thread