Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

so what alexander
Jun 19, 2007

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! / The world forgetting, by the world forgot / Eternal sunshine --"

Shut the ^%@$ up, Alexander. Sorry, Michel Gondry ruined your %#$%!
Can someone please sticky the poem of the month thread and make it August/September? Thanks :) It's cool if you don't want to, though. Understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it worth, me not being a total sperg, to buy this H.P Lovecraft collection?

http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-GollanczF/dp/0575081562/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews say its not a DEFINITE collection, which is OK by me since those are really tiny details, but I'm more worried about the technical aspect of the book, lots of people mention that it isn't particularly well put together.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Splash Damage posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-Weird-Tales-Lovecraft-GollanczF/dp/0575081562/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews say its not a DEFINITE collection, which is OK by me since those are really tiny details, but I'm more worried about the technical aspect of the book, lots of people mention that it isn't particularly well put together.
Well, I have that edition, and its a hardback leatherbound book thats pretty huge. Its got plenty of stories and pictures and theres a nice little afterword at the end.

However, I don't know much about Lovecraft so I have no idea if this really is a collection of his best stories. Furthermore, I live in the UK so the version on Amazon.com could be different from the one sold over here.

I think some of the reviewers are expecting a little too much though. As an introduction to the mans works, I quite enjoyed it and I'm interested in reading more when I find the time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Barnes and Noble sells a pretty nice and reasonably priced collection of all of his work. I think it's just called H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction.

Edit: Well, either I got it when it was on sale or it's just cheaper in Barnes and Noble itself. Here it is on Amazon, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Barnes and Noble sells a pretty nice and reasonably priced collection of all of his work. I think it's just called H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction.

Edit: Well, either I got it when it was on sale or it's just cheaper in Barnes and Noble itself. Here it is on Amazon, though.

They're selling a newer version of this in-store, with that fake leather binding. It's $20 or $25.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

They're selling a newer version of this in-store, with that fake leather binding. It's $20 or $25.

Ah, gotcha. I got a regular hardback version of it a while back for $11.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Splash Damage posted:

There's a free ebook version floating around the interwebs. Let me find it ..

Here it is!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just noticed this on Goodreads, I don't know if it's a new feature or something, but pages for each book now have recommendations for other books, based on user ratings. It's in the right-hand column under the genre info.

They seem to be quite well matched books for an automated system. Better than Librarything's recommendations, from what I've seen. I'm going through all my favourite books now and seeing what it recommends, and I'm getting quite a few interesting looking titles :)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I didn't see any other threads about this but aren't Robert Howards Conan stories , most of lovecraft and most stories before 1900 considered to be in public domain?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

In the US, things published before 1923 are public domain, that includes some Lovecraft stories but I'm pretty sure there's nothing by Howard in that time frame.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

deety posted:

In the US, things published before 1923 are public domain, that includes some Lovecraft stories but I'm pretty sure there's nothing by Howard in that time frame.

I think there's *some* stuff by Howard but not the Conan stuff, or rather, the copyright status on the Conan stuff is ambiguous:

quote:

The name Conan and the names of Robert E. Howard's other principal characters are claimed as trademarked by Paradox Entertainment of Stockholm, Sweden, through its US subsidiary Paradox Entertainment Inc. Paradox copyrights stories written by other authors under license from Conan Properties Inc.
However, since Robert E. Howard published his Conan stories at a time when the date of publication was the marker (1932 through 1963), and any new owners failed to renew them to maintain the copyrights,[28] the exact copyright status of all of Howard's Conan works are in question.[29] In practice, most of the Conan stories exist in at least two versions subject to different copyright standards: The original Weird Tales publications before or shortly after Howard's death, which have been understood to be "public domain", and "restored" versions based on manuscripts that were unpublished in Howard's lifetime, for which current copyrights are easily defended.
The Australian site of Project Gutenberg has many Robert E. Howard stories, including several Conan stories.[30] This indicates that, in their opinion, the stories are free from copyright and may be used by anyone, at least under Australian law, which was 50 years from author's death until 2005. Subsequent stories written by other authors are subject to the copyright laws of the relevant time.
In the United Kingdom, 70 years after the death of an author his works fall into the public domain and as such the works of Robert E. Howard have now fallen into the public domain there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_the_Barbarian#Copyright_and_trademark_dispute

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's really cool the book of the month club is literally about books that nobody wants to read. What's October's category? In-Flight Magazines?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

barkingclam posted:

It's really cool the book of the month club is literally about books that nobody wants to read. What's October's category? In-Flight Magazines?

Furniture assembly instructions, actually. We'll be choosing from Ikea, Pier 1, Target, and WalMart. You don't have to be a jerk about it. :rolleyes:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

What part of "awful" don't you understand?

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Ornamented Death posted:

What part of "awful" don't you understand?

Yes, but we were expecting something not everything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's called the "Awful Book of the Month" not the "Something Awful Book of the Month." If you're upset or confused, it's your own fault for not reading A) the thread title and B) the second sentence in the OP ("In the Awful Book of the Month, we choose one work of literature utter crap and read it over a month. If we can finish it at all.").

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
On a side note...

This makes like, cover #5 that has a nerf longshot as the SCI FI WEAPON of choice.

I love finding these :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well I posted earlier about having a OCD order in regards to reading, currently I am trudging through Kj Parker This is where the OCD hurts when I obsessively read bad books. Ugh 2 more books to go and it will go away.

I think I am going to go back and read Kurt Vonnegut it's been a while.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 29, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Hollis posted:

I think I am going to go back and read Kirk Vonnegut it's been a while.

It must have been; you don't even remember that his first name is Kurt! :iamafag:

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

It must have been; you don't even remember that his first name is Kurt! :iamafag:

Not a good thing to tell someone with literary OCD. He's now writing "Kurt Vonnegut" very neatly 50,000 times on lined sheets of paper.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

DrGonzo90 posted:

Not a good thing to tell someone with literary OCD. He's now writing "Kurt Vonnegut" very neatly 50,000 times on lined sheets of paper.

Or tattooing it on his skin. "Kurt Cobain Vonnegut!"

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Odette posted:

Or tattooing it on his skin. "Kurt Cobain Vonnegut!"

Smells Like Slaughterhouse Five?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Anyone interested in helping me to create a "Who am I"-type riddle about protagonists in books?

An example that I just made up:
"I can walk between worlds, I can manipulate shadows. I have 8 brothers and 4 sisters. I am a prince. I wield a silver sword. I recently regained my memories after centuries of amnesia. Who am I?"

Answer: Corwin, Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny, 1970

It's for a geocaching puzzle (yes, I'm gay but I love running in forests looking for hidden poo poo). If you're interested, PM me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

HUMAN FISH posted:

"I can walk between worlds, I can manipulate shadows. I have 8 brothers and 4 sisters. I am a prince. I wield a silver sword. I recently regained my memories after centuries of amnesia. Who am I?"

A river, right?

wevs
Jan 5, 2009

classic wevs
It's a river.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Definitely sounds like a river to me.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, unless you're writing this for someone who you know has heard of this river. It doesn't matter how good the clues are; if it's a totally obscure river, the riddle is basically unsolvable except by brute force or luck. Pick a river everyone's heard of - Dracula or Sherlock Holmes or Circe.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

House Louse posted:

Definitely sounds like a river to me.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, unless you're writing this for someone who you know has heard of this river. It doesn't matter how good the clues are; if it's a totally obscure river, the riddle is basically unsolvable except by brute force or luck. Pick a river everyone's heard of - Dracula or Sherlock Holmes or Circe.
There's a Sherlock Holmes River?

I've read the books so the answer didn't seem obscure to me but I'm not sure how "I can manipulate shadows" and "regained my memories after centuries of amnesia" = river. Am I missing out on an in-joke?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

xcheopis posted:

There's a Sherlock Holmes River?

I've read the books so the answer didn't seem obscure to me but I'm not sure how "I can manipulate shadows" and "regained my memories after centuries of amnesia" = river. Am I missing out on an in-joke?

The form of your clue was very much like a traditional children's riddle, and "a river" would be a traditional answer to such a riddle.

Example:

I can run but I never walk; I have a mouth but I never talk; I have a bed but never sleep; I have a head but never weep. What am I?

A river

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DirtyRobot has it; I was just playing along with the other two goons who said "It's a river".

Anyway the point is: everyone knows what a river is; how many people have read Amber?

Edit:

Flaggy posted:

I have read it

You're missing the point.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

DirtyRobot has it; I was just playing along with the other two goons who said "It's a river".

Anyway the point is: everyone knows what a river is; how many people have read Amber?

I have read it, its not bad in the first part of the books. Than it gets real, real boring.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ah, I see.

But:

DirtyRobot posted:

The form of your clue...
All right, now I'm very confused. My clue? :(

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Speaking of Zelazny, I recently discovered that I own a signed paperback copy of Nine Princes in Amber (hooray used books!). But because I am a horrible person with negative dollars in my bank account, I want to look into selling it. Does anyone know how to find what the average price of such a thing would be? I trolled ebay for a bit but the price range was just ridiculous.

I hope it is okay if I ask this here!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Radio! posted:

Speaking of Zelazny, I recently discovered that I own a signed paperback copy of Nine Princes in Amber (hooray used books!). But because I am a horrible person with negative dollars in my bank account, I want to look into selling it. Does anyone know how to find what the average price of such a thing would be? I trolled ebay for a bit but the price range was just ridiculous.

I hope it is okay if I ask this here!

I hate to poo poo on your dreams, but it's probably not worth a lot, unfortunately. The first and major strike is that it's a paperback, which means it's most definitely not a first edition (since that was hardcover and is stupidly rare). Next, since, again, it's a paperback, came from a used book store, and is at least 16 years old, I'm guessing it's not in great condition.

Zelazny is popular, but he never attained the level where his signature alone commands high prices, regardless of what it's on. You need the signature on a first edition in fine condition to start raking in real money. I imagine if you could find a sucker, you could get $20 out of him - a collector probably wouldn't pay more than five to ten.

For reference, the lowest-priced signed item on eBay is a PBO of Bridge of Ashes, and it's only going for $20. Granted, that isn't as popular a title as anything Amber, but even signed Amber hardcovers are going for less than $50 until you get into the limited edition stuff (and you're paying for that as much as the signature with those).

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

That's about what I figured. My friend is a huge Zelazny fan and offered to buy it immediately, so I didn't want to be a jerk and ask for a stupid amount of money. Thanks, though!

It was still a pretty cool thing to find. :)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Radio! posted:

That's about what I figured. My friend is a huge Zelazny fan and offered to buy it immediately, so I didn't want to be a jerk and ask for a stupid amount of money. Thanks, though!

It was still a pretty cool thing to find. :)

Yeah, it's always nice to find little surprises like that. About ten years ago I picked up a cheap paperback copy of Damon Knight's The World and Thorinn to replace a copy I lost. About a year and a half ago I was entering stuff into LibraryThing and discovered that cheap paperback was signed by Knight. Not really worth much, but a very cool item to have.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
So... Orson Scott Card rewrote Hamlet to make Hamlet's father a gay pedophile.

It's like he actively wants me to hate Ender's Game, instead of enjoy it. And it's loving working.

Rage Nage
Dec 16, 2004
It's Hellacious Z time!!
Random question - did anyone else find it hard to get into Catch 22? By all accounts I should love it, but a friend and I independently started reading it a few months ago and gave up after a few chapters. We found it very hard to read and just didn't think that much of it. This was a coincidence, we didn't discuss it until recently, after we'd both given up on it.

So, is it known as a hard book to get into?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Rage Nage posted:

Random question - did anyone else find it hard to get into Catch 22? By all accounts I should love it, but a friend and I independently started reading it a few months ago and gave up after a few chapters. We found it very hard to read and just didn't think that much of it. This was a coincidence, we didn't discuss it until recently, after we'd both given up on it.

I got into it pretty easily, but on this very subforum there have been several people with the same experience as you. The most common advice is to not give up because everything comes together very nicely after a bit. The hardest thing for me was just keeping track of all of the characters.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

I got into it pretty easily, but on this very subforum there have been several people with the same experience as you. The most common advice is to not give up because everything comes together very nicely after a bit. The hardest thing for me was just keeping track of all of the characters.

Also if you don't give up you get to read about Milo! :allears:

I should read that book again. It's been a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

Rage Nage posted:

I've started it numerous times and never finished. I liked a lot of it, but at a certain point it felt like I was just getting a cast of characters and no real action or reason to care about them. I usually get as far as Major Major Major and then the book slows to a crawl and I tap out. I'm fairly certain I would enjoy it if I pushed through but I have literary ADD or something and tend to jump ship whenever I spot the next shiny book.