Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It really depends on why you liked Persona 3 and 4. because if it's the whole social life sim element I don't think P2 will be the game for you.

Well, I liked that, but not just that; I liked the story (specifics and depth) in general and the combat and the fusion and the general pace of the game. Whereas in 1 I didn't like the long slogs and backtracking and much-slower combat with dense unavoidable random encounters or the negotiation system that basically meant I had to 'fight' most groups twice to get past them.

So, 2 is closer to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Persona 1. Mind you they are all tedious to play but P3 and P4 are a bit less tedious because the actual battle mechanic is handled well enough.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Yeah, Persona 2 is more of a straight ahead RPG than P3 or 4. P3 was actually a HUGE departure from the series' regular tropes, in fact.

I still think Persona 2 is vastly superior to Persona 1, but that's mostly because I adore the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thranguy posted:

Well, I liked that, but not just that; I liked the story (specifics and depth) in general and the combat and the fusion and the general pace of the game. Whereas in 1 I didn't like the long slogs and backtracking and much-slower combat with dense unavoidable random encounters or the negotiation system that basically meant I had to 'fight' most groups twice to get past them.

So, 2 is closer to...
It's closer to 1 but the battle system and encounter rate are far less irritating, and perhaps more importantly the dungeons won't put you to sleep.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Don't forget that you can negotiate with monsters in Persona 2 to give you items, money, info etc, which you can't in P3/P4.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
Yeah, I've played a bit of Persona 2, and it has Playstation RPG written all over it. It feels like it takes forever to do anything between the load times and the encounter rate, and the whole drawing cards out of monsters reminds me a lot of FFVIII. The environments also feel like they could have been done better, perhaps with an isometric perspective, and instead I felt like I was getting lost relying on the lovely perspective and camera controls. It clearly has some good drama and comedy in it, but it all depends on how willing you are to play something from the dark ages.

On the other hand, the loads aren't any worse than P3/4, but playing Nocturne is a breeze compared to them. The battles play out like Phantasy Star, although there is an auto battle option. I don't really know why you'd use it unless the battle happens to be a total joke, though.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

PunkBoy posted:

I don't think I would mind a simple Jack Frost shirt.
Same here.

The ones they did make are also sold out everywhere though :smith: (as well as the Black Frost one)

Happy Blue Cow posted:

:eek: Where can I get this t-shirt. Please tell me I can get this somewhere.
If I remember this right, it was a pre-order bonus of sorts (e: or maybe just special edition??) with the Japanese version of the game and never retail sold. I guess if you really, really want one you can hook yourself up with a proxy and look through Japanese auction sites or keep an eye on stores that sell used goods like Mandarake but the chances are still really slim.

Shame because it's just so nice.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 9, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
After a bit of searching, it looks like you can get it on Play-Asia (with a Japanese version of Persona 4). It only comes in XL though, which kinda sucks.

vv Oh poo poo, sorry about that. :smith:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2011

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Looks like Play-Asia says it's out of print though, unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

You got my hopes up for a moment there. :sigh:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The t-shirt and a Kuma plushie were the Persona 4 Konamistyle package.

Kind of underwhelming when you look at the Persona 3 FES Konamistyle package came with a leather Moonlight Academy messenger bag, a crystal Thanatos statue, an enhanced CD with music, wallpapers, a screensaver, and voice clips from the game, and an authentic Special Extracurricular Execute Sector armband.

The P3FES package had the ATH-EM700 headphones, though, with the Moonlight Academy logo on them. Super nice.

Katsudon posted:

Looks like Play-Asia says it's out of print though, unless I'm looking at the wrong one.

Konamistyle packages are always pre-order only, I doubt if you could ever find one after it's released.

I ordered my P4 konamistyle package from yesasia (I think?), so I could choose what size shirt I got.

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

After a bit of searching, it looks like you can get it on Play-Asia (with a Japanese version of Persona 4). It only comes in XL though, which kinda sucks.
Yeah, that's why I felt a little bit better about P3P coming with a hat, because Atlus seems to think all of their fans are huge.

VV Oh my bad. It's just that post and this social link expansion pack on Amazon gave me the impression that Atlus just makes XL shirts. VV

Aquans fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 10, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Aquans posted:

Yeah, that's why I felt a little bit better about P3P coming with a hat, because Atlus seems to think all of their fans are huge.

The shirt came in multiple sizes; I picked a Medium. PlayAsia just didn't let people specify shirt size for this particular order.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

FINALmasa posted:

Yeah, I've played a bit of Persona 2, and it has Playstation RPG written all over it. It feels like it takes forever to do anything between the load times and the encounter rate, and the whole drawing cards out of monsters reminds me a lot of FFVIII. The environments also feel like they could have been done better, perhaps with an isometric perspective, and instead I felt like I was getting lost relying on the lovely perspective and camera controls. It clearly has some good drama and comedy in it, but it all depends on how willing you are to play something from the dark ages.

On the other hand, the loads aren't any worse than P3/4, but playing Nocturne is a breeze compared to them. The battles play out like Phantasy Star, although there is an auto battle option. I don't really know why you'd use it unless the battle happens to be a total joke, though.

Most battles can and should be taken care of with one shot with a fusion spell. If you're not glancing at the Analyze menu and then grabbing whatever elemental fusion won't hit any strengths right off the fusion menu, you're playing Persona 2 wrong.

And if you're hitting up every encounter for cards, you are ALSO doing it wrong. Hit them up when you don't feel like fighting, it's not an obligation. Contract with the most annoying demons in the dungeon and milk them for Free Tarot. You barely need to summon any new Personas in IS anyway, Philemon hands them out like candy. I think...Pixie, Hel, Tsukuyomi should get you through the entire game, if you're sure to make Phil hand you upgrades. (EP you need to switch much more often, yeah)

I'd seriously call P3 more grindy than P2. Just be sensible about what you do and don't give in to gamer OCD.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess I played P2 wrong then because my priority was getting the advanced persona while holding myself over with any Persona I got from cards until I got them. Then I just went through the game wrecking poo poo with the advanced Persona.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

After Koudelka, I promised myself I would never try a new PSX era JRPG again because of their loading times and encounter rates, but I'm making an exception for Persona 2. :colbert:

Katsudon posted:

Same here.

The ones they did make are also sold out everywhere though :smith: (as well as the Black Frost one)

There are these, though! (Borrowed from the Atlus D shop)

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Oh god those mugs are just the cutest things. Raiho! :swoon: Definitely want at least one of those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
HD version of the recent trailer for Mayonaka Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHKTnDNOpg

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
FULLMETAL SISTER COMPLEX GANG LEADER :ssj:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

HD version of the recent trailer for Mayonaka Arena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHKTnDNOpg

For some reason, I really love that Chie actually has God Hand as a move.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well there is no move better than a giant fist coming from the sky.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Justice posted:

FULLMETAL SISTER COMPLEX GANG LEADER :ssj:

Is Chie's something like "Meat eating dumped girl?"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the MC in that fighting game universe is a dick as nobody has their evolved personas.

And Aigis feels to unbelievably tacked on, hopefully there's more P3 guys in the game outside of the dumb robot.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Near the end of the trailer with the multiple screens, you can see Kanji wielding a folding chair. :black101:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Radish posted:

Is Chie's something like "Meat eating dumped girl?"

"Carnivore beast who cast away her femininity"

None of the characters seem pleased with their assigned titles, though.

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
Yosuke's is Captain Ressentiment. Also, I like how they basically just took the Japanese memes about the main character and made them official.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rondino posted:

Yosuke's is Captain Ressentiment. Also, I like how they basically just took the Japanese memes about the main character and made them official.

Wait, there are Persona 4 memes? :confused:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, there are Persona 4 memes? :confused:

Some beary clever ones! :smugteddie:

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
Just calling the main character banchou(gang leader/badass) and saying he has a sister complex. I dunno if they really count as "memes", but they're popular fan-given attributes for him.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rondino posted:

Just calling the main character banchou(gang leader/badass)

This is because Izanagi is wearing an old-school boys uniform, unbuttoned, which gives him the appearance of a stereotypical Japanese delinquent (or a male cheerleader :gay: ). The 'Hagane' title also refers to Izanagi's metal body.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Alteisen posted:

And Aigis feels to unbelievably tacked on, hopefully there's more P3 guys in the game outside of the dumb robot.

P3P FemC! :laugh:

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Is there ever a way to regain MP during a battle in Devil Survivor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fooley posted:

Yes.

Most effective:
The Drain spell. Crack that poo poo ASAP. Drain is ridiculously, insanely, crazy broken. Give it to any demon that uses MP.

Second most effective:
A Tyrant-class demon will replenish a ton of MP after a fight.

Third most effective:
Cracked skills which can replenish 10% or 30% of your MP after a fight. Victory Cry if it is still around. (It may not be in the 3DS version, if it is it is harder to get.)

Beyond that you've got Blood Wine and Sacrifice such, but those three give you roughly infinite MP.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Fooley posted:

Learn Drain, it's actually a very-useful attack move if you have a high Magic stat. There are also species abilities like "Sacrifice" and "Tyranny" that will recover some.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also Divine-type demons' skill 'Blood Wine'

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fooley posted:

Divine demons can use their racial ability to sacrifice health to recover MP for the whole team. Tyrant demons gain HP and MP after every engagement. I think those are the only ways.

Edit: both beaten and wrong.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Drain is insane on the MC with a super high magic.

Why yes I do enjoy taking 300 hp and 200mp and restoring myself to full and leaving the enemy defenseless.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm trying to avoid information on Persona 2: Innocent Sin, since the PSP release'll be be my first time playing, but Siliconera had an article title I couldn't resist:

Nothing Charms Demons Like Motorcycle Noises

Well, it's already a preorder for me, but now I feel cemented in the awesomeness of that choice.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Is there a spoiler-free list of all of the new stuff added to Persona 2: IS? Any new personae?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Devil Survivor, Dual Shadow is so hilarious broken in combination with Drain and Holy Dance. I mean I took out the 8th day boss for Naoyas route in two battle rounds with dual shadow proc'ing off Holy Dance both times.

For the people who've played the sequel, did they tone down magic at all? I know reading up on some stuff they made Phys viable (which is great) but nothing really on magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Speaking of Devil Survivor, Dual Shadow is so hilarious broken in combination with Drain and Holy Dance. I mean I took out the 8th day boss for Naoyas route in two battle rounds with dual shadow proc'ing off Holy Dance both times.

For the people who've played the sequel, did they tone down magic at all? I know reading up on some stuff they made Phys viable (which is great) but nothing really on magic.

Physical's pretty okay in Overclocked, you just kinda have to build it around Multi-Attack. Once you do that, though, it's a one way ticket to attacking every enemy 7 times and probably healing yourself to full every time you do it.