Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Playing Persona 1 in preparation for innocent sin, anything I should know before starting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Alteisen posted:

Playing Persona 1 in preparation for innocent sin, anything I should know before starting?

Don't.

Alternate response:
Take Elly as your fifth and fuse Judgement Phaleg and give it to one of your other characters. Congratulations, two of your five party members are effectively invincible.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Alteisen posted:

I don't want to be 'that guy,' but don't be afraid to play the game on Easy. The game is already hard enough as it is. You can't buy a lot of basic equipment you can in other RPGs- instead they're dropped after you kill enemies. I had to do a lot of grinding to continually have worthy personae on my team.

There are various characters in the game that can join your party, but you can only get one of them for the entire game. If you don't like someone or how the game portrays them, just tell them "no" if they ask to join.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Use cheats and then get yourself the best Persona and just mow through the story, that's what I did on my second playthrough and I found the game far more enjoyable.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't.

Alternate response:
Take Elly as your fifth and fuse Judgement Phaleg and give it to one of your other characters. Congratulations, two of your five party members are effectively invincible.
You can also fuse Lilim for your MC which is 100% element/force absorb. Pretty much the only way I was able to get through the dungeon where you're forced to go through without most of your party.

Edit: also, as always in RPG's, name your MC something stupid. :v: (spoilers?) http://i.imgur.com/L5X9V.jpg

Dem Bones fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 11, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Alteisen posted:

As people stated. You really shouldn't. But if you choose to do so, remember that exp is given out by how much damage a person did in battle, so if someone starts trailing behind. You will have to sit out your main damage dealers and let the slow kid try and catch up.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Put all your MC's ability points in agility until it is maxed, then put all points in luck; the system used in Persona 1 actively discourages spreading character points evenly, and those are the two best stats. Get personae with megido, etc., early on to curbstomp most random battles.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I just finished P3P with the female character and now I'm incredibly sad. :( I love the game, and would like to be able to play it again on normal, but I don't even know if I can.

This is the second time that a Persona game has made me cry like a little girl. :(

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm starting Nocturne. I know it's hard. I'm already familiar with most of the battle mechanics from other SMT games. What I wanna know: is there a universally agreed upon "best" type of main character build? Or should I just pick a style and min max it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

I'm starting Nocturne. I know it's hard. I'm already familiar with most of the battle mechanics from other SMT games. What I wanna know: is there a universally agreed upon "best" type of main character build? Or should I just pick a style and min max it?

You wanna go phys if you're planning on doing the True Demon end, if not you can really just go with whatever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

jackofarcades posted:

The best type of MC build is one that spams Fog Breath.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jackofarcades posted:

I went mag early on and made sure to have every elemental magic on the MC or in my party members and I breezed through the entire game, once I reached the end then I focused on phys.

Remember you'll be able to 40 in all his stats anyway provided you level like a madman so you can't really gimp yourself, its more like how do you want fight early on.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nessa posted:

I just finished P3P with the female character and now I'm incredibly sad. :( I love the game, and would like to be able to play it again on normal, but I don't even know if I can.

This is the second time that a Persona game has made me cry like a little girl. :(

Thank you. Welcome to the support group. I could probably be the leader if I wasn't such a crybaby when it comes to P3's ending. :gbsmith:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you're playing on Hard Mode I would recommend a magic based build with fire breath, ice breath, and tornado until the midgame. Once you get access to the good physical skills always have at least one on hand along with the skill Focus. Also keep media from the ankh node on you until the midgame as well, you might need the backup healing and you'll have plenty of room for it. Ignore stuff like anti-fire as it becomes obsolete rather quickly. War Cry and/or Fog Breath are also useful.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't.

Alternate response:

That's terrible advice.

Reiji is the best party member. :colbert:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Thank you. Welcome to the support group. I could probably be the leader if I wasn't such a crybaby when it comes to P3's ending. :gbsmith:

The only way for me to get over it is to take the ending as ambiguously as possible and make up my own to replace it.

I get pretty broken up by sad endings, but this one takes the cake. I got so attached to these fictional characters that I've formed imaginary bonds with. Pretty sure I'm gonna be in a funk for the next week or so. :(

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Technique posted:

That's terrible advice.

Reiji is the best party member. :colbert:

But Elly will make things easier in general, both because she shows up way earlier and she starts with a Judgement Persona.

Nessa posted:

The only way for me to get over it is to take the ending as ambiguously as possible and make up my own to replace it.

Shero dozes off and everyone enjoys the nice spring day, then they all go out for ice cream and live happily ever after. Shero possibly keeps the boys as a part of her harem.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

But Elly will make things easier in general, both because she shows up way earlier and she starts with a Judgement Persona.

But Reiji will punch things in the face, kick things in the face, and wield an assault rifle with one hand.

Also, magic tricks! :haw:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Something I never got in Persona 3. Why exactly is it that they thought that Aegis would fit into the school perfectly? Wouldn't that thing on her head and her way of speaking sort of throw suspicion onto her?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The thing that always bothered me was, how does Aigis wear shoes with her pointy robot feet?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baalster posted:

Something I never got in Persona 3. Why exactly is it that they thought that Aegis would fit into the school perfectly? Wouldn't that thing on her head and her way of speaking sort of throw suspicion onto her?

They told everyone she's from Wisconsin and explained that everyone in Wisconsin wears weird headbands, speaks in a stilted tone, and binds their feet to look like they have peg legs. And then everyone in school agreed that people from Wisconsin are weird.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The thing that always bothered me was, how does Aigis wear shoes with her pointy robot feet?

I imagine she switches them out like her gun hands.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

They told everyone she's from Wisconsin and explained that everyone in Wisconsin wears weird headbands, speaks in a stilted tone, and binds their feet to look like they have peg legs. And then everyone in school agreed that people from Wisconsin are weird.

Well poo poo, I guess I'm just weird too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Shero dozes off and everyone enjoys the nice spring day, then they all go out for ice cream and live happily ever after. Shero possibly keeps the boys as a part of her harem.

Exactly.

(P3P ramblings and impressions up ahead. Spoilered just because.)

I dated Akihiko, but took the Ryoji romantic link too just to see how creepy and weird it would get. And because of Ryoji, I totally had to make a Thanatos that I never used, but kept in my party for the end game. It totally took me off guard when I went out with Fuuka and she asked if I was cheating on my boyfriend.

And holy crap on my awkward timing of social links. I just finished maxing out Akihiko when I come downstairs to meet Ryoji who whispers that he wants to see my room next time. Then Fuuka asked why my face looked so flush.:psyduck:

Oddly enough, when I first started watching my boyfriend go through FEZ, I couldn't stand Junpei. I thought he was as bad as Yosuke and a skeevy pervert who would probably betray the group at some point. "There's no way I'll social link with that guy in P3P."

But then I started playing P3P and suddenly found Junpei to be totally endearing. He pervs to show affection. And we totally went out for ramen and he agreed that I should go for Akihiko cause it would be just like a manga. That's when Junpei became my best friend.:unsmith:

I still wanna go on some swings with him. I cried during his rank up when he talks about going on a swing together because I had just gone on a playground swing for the first time in years the day prior and realized that I really missed swings. The game just happened to hit really close to home.

I also really wish there was an option to hug people. I just wanted to give the poor guy a hug after the mess with Chidori and tell him everything will be okay.:smith:

The summer festival was also really cool to play as a girl and I'm glad I went with Junpei.

Also, characters remembering previous things that I've said and done totally gets to me. Akihiko remembered that I liked sweet food and took me to the candy shop, and then he knew that I had just started the cooking club with Fuuka and asked me to make him some sweet things.

Akihiko also has the best Christmas gift ever. Up to that point in the game, I was always complaining about running out of SP cause I'm a heavy magic user. The music box is totally the best thing. And I'm glad he liked the cute scarf I made. :)

I'm really surprised that the Aigis route didn't change much for the female character. I thought of her as a cute, sisterly character through most of the game, but she still had me touch her "sensitive organ" and didn't want me to find happiness with a man. I still love Aigis, but she's totally weird.

That felt good to write out. I needed that.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 12, 2011

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Nessa posted:

(P3P ramblings and impressions up ahead. Spoilered just because.)
If I may offer a male perspective:

I dated and maxed out three female S.Links: Yuko, Chihiro and Fuuka. Of the three I thought Yuko was by far the best written and most compelling love interest. Her story arc with acting as a coach for the little kids was really endearing. Hers was also the only end game part that really got to me, once I realized that the MC was dead. Like, I was legit depressed after how she says she'll make the MC fall for her all over again.

Chihiro wasn't a good investment, I guess you could say. Her story arc is such pandering anime garbage by the end I was just grinding it out to get her Max Persona, which wasn't even that good. Fuuka was a happy medium, but the whole "girl can't cook how waaacky" is such an overdone trope that it kinda annoyed me from the get go.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

If I may offer a male perspective:

I dated and maxed out three female S.Links: Yuko, Chihiro and Fuuka. Of the three I thought Yuko was by far the best written and most compelling love interest. Her story arc with acting as a coach for the little kids was really endearing. Hers was also the only end game part that really got to me, once I realized that the MC was dead. Like, I was legit depressed after how she says she'll make the MC fall for her all over again.

Chihiro wasn't a good investment, I guess you could say. Her story arc is such pandering anime garbage by the end I was just grinding it out to get her Max Persona, which wasn't even that good. Fuuka was a happy medium, but the whole "girl can't cook how waaacky" is such an overdone trope that it kinda annoyed me from the get go.

Yeah, my boyfriend maxed out both Chihiro and Yuko in his game too. Yuko is pretty cool, but Chihiro is a total doormat who runs away from guys. I enjoyed Fuuka's story just cause I liked helping her out and making goodies. :)

In my own game I was really sad for Akihiko because he already lost Miki and was terribly depressed that he couldn't protect her and nearly lost Shinji (I saved him in my game!). Especially because Akihiko is so protective. "Watching you fight makes me angry because I'm worried about you. I don't want to lose you like I lost Miki." That made me break down too. :(

And Junpei already lost Chidori in such a heart wrenching way, I couldn't bear for him to lose his best friend too.

gently caress depressing endings.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm so sad that Junpei was never a S. Link in the original and FES. We're supposed to be bros. :smith:

Also, after playing 4, it's hard to go back to 3 where there's no "friendship" option.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Nessa posted:

In my own game I was really sad for Akihiko because he already lost Miki and was terribly depressed that he couldn't protect her and nearly lost Shinji (I saved him in my game!). Especially because Akihiko is so protective. "Watching you fight makes me angry because I'm worried about you. I don't want to lose you like I lost Miki." That made me break down too. :(

And Junpei already lost Chidori in such a heart wrenching way, I couldn't bear for him to lose his best friend too.

gently caress depressing endings.

God, I forgot about that. That just makes the ending even more :smithicide:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
About Junpei's special friend, you guys DID bring her back, didn't you?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Justice posted:

I didn't know you could. :(

And I made an effort to talk to everybody, every day, just so I wouldn't miss anything important.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nessa posted:

I didn't know you could. :(

And I made an effort to talk to everybody, every day, just so I wouldn't miss anything important.

Oh :( it was a special set of flags added in P3FES, and they're present in P3P as well. There are four dialogue options you must pick when talking to Junpei in September. They should all be pretty obvious, but you do have to actively track him down somewhere in town once or twice.

Don't give up! Also, the special rooftop scene with the romantic party member S. Link of your choice is only available in New Game+.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Junpei was kind of a dick in P3 and while I started out liking him, didn't really care much for him by the end of the game but felt like a much better friend in P3P.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justice posted:

Nope. :colbert: It feels like it defeats the point of the storyline if you magically revive her from death just to have a happy ending. Even if you buy the MCcoming back via the whole Messiah thing, it gets more and more muddled when you start saving Chidori and Shinjiro and such.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Thank god Azusa Kido is far less prosaic than you :c00lbutt: Have you no romance?!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You wanna go phys if you're planning on doing the True Demon end, if not you can really just go with whatever.

My impressions of the different endings is just that one is sad, happy and neutral. Am I right?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. :colbert: It feels like it defeats the point of the storyline if you magically revive her from death just to have a happy ending. Even if you buy the MCcoming back via the whole Messiah thing, it gets more and more muddled when you start saving Chidori and Shinjiro and such.

Yeah, all of that poo poo was basically really dumb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

casual poster posted:

My impressions of the different endings is just that one is sad, happy and neutral. Am I right?
Aren't there more than three endings in nocturne?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got the Neutral ending because the three alignments were monumentally retarded (or at least the humans supporting them were). Felt it was a pretty solid ending, all things being equal. If I play through it again I'll probably go for the TDE I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justice posted:

Thank god Azusa Kido is far less prosaic than you :c00lbutt: Have you no romance?!

I normally am a sucker for that kind of stuff, it just didn't work in Persona 3 for me. :smith:

casual poster posted:

Not really. Aside from neutral, they embody different philosophies. (And even neutrality kind of does that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Radish posted:

Junpei was kind of a dick in P3 and while I started out liking him, didn't really care much for him by the end of the game but felt like a much better friend in P3P.
See I really didn't care about Junpei until after Chidori, at which point he became one of my favorite characters. I ended up replacing Mitsuru with him, because he could deal all three types of physical damage which was really handy for the top levels of Tartarus, and because Mitsuru wouldn't stop using useless ailment attacks. On top of that I gave him the Lavaentenn, so he could do fire damage with his basic attacks which was pretty nice too.