Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If you don't count the Snow Queen Quest (which took grinding to a new extreme but most people won't care to play it) I think I had to grind once in Persona 1 before the last boss. I know it's cool to hate on that game and all but if you can find it for $20 and you like JRPGs it's a good buy.

I also agree that contacting demons once to get their card is a much better system than contact grinding for cards in Persona 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I really wish they hadn't redone Persona's music completely because I really liked the original's soundtrack a lot. It was very atmospheric and set the mood well for the game. I haven't tried the remake but I really don't care for the P3 style music used in the P1 setting (I like P3's music so don't get the wrong idea). The sounds guys make when you hit them in P1 is great too and I liked the Persona sound effect. Maybe I'll beat the game one day.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 14, 2011

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ambrotos posted:

:words:

bit posted:

The 6(!) different paths are all explained pretty well here. Massive spoilers obviously.

Ahh, alright, thank you. I'll have to read through that after beating the game.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Sony pre-TGS press conference just ended, and in the list of games/franchises expected to be on Vita within a year of launching, one of the entries was Shin Megami Tensei. Speculation time!

Isn't that going to be the P4 remake?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I really wish they hadn't redone Persona's music completely because I really liked the original's soundtrack a lot. It was very atmospheric and set the mood well for the game. I haven't tried the remake but I really don't care for the P3 style music used in the P1 setting (I like P3's music so don't get the wrong idea). The sounds guys make when you hit them in P1 is great too and I liked the Persona sound effect. Maybe I'll beat the game one day.

Agreeing with this, what little I played from the original had some neat gothic tracks, very in tune with typical SMT, the new pop music for P1 just doesn't fit to well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I prefer P2's card system over P1, simply because of the existence of Free Tarots. Free Tarots ensure that at any given point in the game, you are free and clear to make any persona you want. In fact, you should generally have way more Free Tarots than any other kind of card (I maxed out 999 at one point in IS or EP I think). And since Igor lists what personae are available, you have an easy shopping cart to peruse to find what best suits your character or the situation. And given how useful the personae straight up given to you for free by Philemon, much of this "grinding" is a moot point anyway!

In P1, you better pray that whatever random demons you have in your current area, they are juuuuuuust the right ones you need to fuse. There's a very real danger to find yourself with an inadequately constructed team, but guess what? You're hosed because the demons around you either are too strong to talk to or the cards they give are completely useless. Better hope you have a FAQ on hand to ensure you don't completely gimp yourself with no way of proceeding through the game anymore, which is actually quite easy to accomplish given how a lot of enemies are immune to all but one kind of attack (and some will straight up instant kill your whole party if you don't have a specific resistance).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one who said gently caress PERSONAS and just used charm bullets on everyone to beat most of Persona 1? More like Gunsona.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Isn't that going to be the P4 remake?
I don't think so, but I'm positive. It said Shin Megami Tensei series, and in Japan the Persona games don't have that title. I don't know whether or not the spinoffs are ever referred to as "Shin Megami Tensei series games" in the same way they're all called MegaTen games though, which could be what happened here.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Agreeing with this, what little I played from the original had some neat gothic tracks, very in tune with typical SMT, the new pop music for P1 just doesn't fit to well.

The music is the change I didn't really care for in the P1 re-release and I would have like to have a classic soundtrack option.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dolphin Fetus posted:

The biggest problem about the new soundtrack is that it only has like a quarter of the songs from the original, so you constantly hear the same couple of tracks over and over and over, even if they're wildly inappropriate for the current scene. Compare and contrast:
Visiting Maki at the hospital (Playstation) and visiting Maki at the hospital (PSP).

Edit
The new Deva Yuga song is one of the biggest travesties when compared to the source material. I guess the new version isn't bad by itself, but compared to the original...

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 14, 2011

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I would literally pay cash money for DLC that allowed you to use the original OST.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

TurnipFritter posted:

The biggest problem about the new soundtrack is that it only has like a quarter of the songs from the original, so you constantly hear the same couple of tracks over and over and over, even if they're wildly inappropriate for the current scene. Compare and contrast:
Visiting Maki at the hospital (Playstation) and visiting Maki at the hospital (PSP).

Whoa, they certainly did change a lot... Glad I still have my old ps1 copy around somewhere. I never really understood the P1 hate, I really liked their take on localization. Compared to P2 it was way easier to play also. I kinda want the P2 release though because I never did finish that one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Xlyfindel posted:

I really liked their take on localization.
I'd love to see your rationale for this doozy of a comment.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I took the plunge and ordered a copy of Nocturne (or Lucifer's Call as it's known here). Considering that my only SMT experience is with Persona 4, which as I understand it is considerably easier than the main series, I'm a little apprehensive.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Dr Snofeld posted:

I took the plunge and ordered a copy of Nocturne (or Lucifer's Call as it's known here). Considering that my only SMT experience is with Persona 4, which as I understand it is considerably easier than the main series, I'm a little apprehensive.

Hey, buddy! You and I are in the same boat. I've played P3, P4, and Devil Survivor, but I've put off Nocturne all these years. For some reason, though, I just ordered a copy to torture myself during this, The Season of Best Games.

bit
Jan 2, 2010

A bit is the basic unit of information in computing and telecommunications; it is the amount of information that can be stored by a device or other physical system that ca
I just played through Nocturne for the first time a few months back and to be honest I didn't find it as hard as everyone led me to believe. It's certainly not an easy game by any stretch, but once I learned that buffs/debuffs were necessary and I started custom tailoring my demons to fit the situation (as opposed to just keeping my favorites all the time) I had a pretty smooth ride. Also, you can always break the game with Daisoujou if you're still having trouble.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Also, I suppose Matador wasn't as bad as I had heard. On my second try, after using all of my Beads and Bead Chains, I managed to defeat him with just my main character left.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm slowly making my way through Nocturne (on normal), I beat Matador on my 2nd try without much trouble. "Without much trouble" being losing both my Shiisa and Sudama, and finishing it off with about 30 health. But my plan worked out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magikoopa189 posted:

Also, I suppose Matador wasn't as bad as I had heard. On my second try, after using all of my Beads and Bead Chains, I managed to defeat him with just my main character left.

You can create a party that can kill him in 10 press turns, less if you get a crit on him, Matador's the dude that teaches you the hardway to prepare properly for most encounters.

Thing is that with the demons you create for the matador fight, you can just keep fusing and re-fusing them as they fall back in levels and never have to worry about anything again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Magikoopa189 posted:

Really, from what I've come to understand, Matador isn't really a ridiculously impossible boss as he is the first major roadblock, so he winds up being really memorable.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

King of Solomon posted:

Really, from what I've come to understand, Matador isn't really a ridiculously impossible boss as he is the first major roadblock, so he winds up being really memorable.

I had way more trouble with Dante because for about 5 straight fights my taunt+focus+lunge would miss on the killing blow and he would come back with some dumb one-shot MC kill.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

King of Solomon posted:

I came across him and the first time I fought him he slayed me so bad that when the game over screen popped up I'm like "Oh I'm supposed to win that one?" :v:

But just fusing a couple of force resistant demons did the trick

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

TurnipFritter posted:

Edit
The new Deva Yuga song is one of the biggest travesties when compared to the source material. I guess the new version isn't bad by itself, but compared to the original...

What the poo poo, travesty indeed the original makes the new version sound like balls. Some tracks on the new OST are cool and all but I could never listen to them more than maybe 3 times without growing tired and just wanting to take them off my ipod, save for a few. This track in particular was one of the ones I really didn't care for but I am digging the hell out of the original. I had no idea the original OST was this much better, christ.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Out of all the things in the new OST, the new Deva Yuga theme was a solid improvement. Personally i just wish they had remade Kandori's theme.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
This is why the PSX version of Persona 1 had the best localization, in my opinion:

Mega spoilers of course, so be warned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0t5Ose4pAg

I'll kill you slow!

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Footage of P4 Mayonaka Arena

http://www.4gamer.net/games/139/G013961/20110915020/

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Unlimited folding chairs :haw:

more videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idVTzBLiOEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV-zV_N-7fQ

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 15, 2011

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

nachos posted:

I had way more trouble with Dante because for about 5 straight fights my taunt+focus+lunge would miss on the killing blow and he would come back with some dumb one-shot MC kill.
After my first encounter with Dante, all my demons were dead and Demi-Fiend had 1 HP left. That's how real men (or terrible players such as myself) win a boss fight. :black101:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Footage of P4 Mayonaka Arena

http://www.4gamer.net/games/139/G013961/20110915020/

Man I hope they do one of these for Perona 1+2. Axes and bows and guns and so on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really don't know what to think of Ultimate. On one hand it looks like it has its own thing going for it (Which is good), but on the other I am just largely bored by the gameplay I've seen. I dunno, I should probably wait to get better quality gameplay before I judge too much.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Baalster posted:

I really don't know what to think of Ultimate. On one hand it looks like it has its own thing going for it (Which is good), but on the other I am just largely bored by the gameplay I've seen. I dunno, I should probably wait to get better quality gameplay before I judge too much.

It's hard to judge a fighting game by watching it I think, I mean at least for me in this case. What matters to me in this game is that it plays closer to GG than BB I think but I don't know if I'll be able to really tell from watching people play. I think I'll need to hear opinions of GG/BB players or get my hands on it myself. I will say that from what I saw last night I was a little underwhelmed. Bottom line I'll end up buying it and playing it for sure, I just hope I like it enough to be one of my main games.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Does anyone know how long P3P will be on sale from the Playstation Store?

Will saves from a disc copy will function with the downloadable version?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Desty posted:

Will saves from a disc copy will function with the downloadable version?

Yup, they should.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I hope there's a Junes stage.

I love Blaz Blue, so I've got high hopes for this game. :)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My copy of Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) arrived. The short walkthrough at the back of the manual happily tells you never to get rid of Pixie, but you can fuse her, right?

How does fusion work in this one as compared to P4? Is skill inheritance weighted like that game or is it random?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

My copy of Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) arrived. The short walkthrough at the back of the manual happily tells you never to get rid of Pixie, but you can fuse her, right?

How does fusion work in this one as compared to P4? Is skill inheritance weighted like that game or is it random?

You can fuse her but do not sacrifice fuse her or any monster she is fused into. As long as she is still around in some form you'll be fine.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Is it worth it to keep Pixie to the end of the game? I heard about some bonus demon...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Magikoopa189 posted:

Is it worth it to keep Pixie to the end of the game? I heard about some bonus demon...?

If you retain Pixie or something she has fused into until near to the end of the game and do a portion of the bonus dungeon you will get a Pixie with insanely high stats and powerful skills. It is far from necessary but a fun extra.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Dolphin Fetus posted:

This is why the PSX version of Persona 1 had the best localization, in my opinion:

Mega spoilers of course, so be warned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0t5Ose4pAg

I'll kill you slow!

Ahahaha, I really want to find that game now. ~*memories*~

Magikoopa189 posted:

It isn't that hard to do, and the reward is pretty nice. I don't think keeping her around is neccesarry to finish the game, but if you're a completionist like most rpg players I know you'll definitely want to do it.

Also, I can already tell I am going to play the poo poo out of Ultimate. GG is boss as hell and I thought the first BB was really fun.
edit: I think the backgrounds look really freakin nice too.

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Magikoopa189 posted:

It's not really even a question of whether the effort is worth it because you can just fuse her whenever her current form stops being useful. Just never sacrifice or dismiss the demon at the top of your list.