Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

arhra posted:

You sure you weren't just testing in creative? There's a bug (feature?) that allows you to attack mobs from any distance in creative mode.

Ah, it was, and upon further experimentation, it applies to all items. This is what I get for not using the scientific method!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Since melons and pumpkins pop when pushed by pistons, I decided to knock together farms that harvest them that way; it beats the hell out of smashing a bunch of them by hand and saves tool wear. All I have to do is run around the farm and grab the dropped ones, then re-plow the plots where there were melons. As a bonus, pushing a farmland block doesn't revert it to dirt, in case you want to harvest a farm that hasn't grown 100%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NII_T6SFT_M

some kind of bug
Jul 10, 2011

So is it possible to open doors without destroying them in creative mode or is that just a result of me using a trackpad and ctrl+click as button 2? Because that's the only thing I can think of that could be causing it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Mad Archivist posted:

I am finding this myself. I could deal with my crappy tools wearing out constantly, but having myself wear out completely in between the incremental steps I take to build a base... really annoying. That said,

This is true. I mean, I *know* all the animals have delicious, delicious meat to harvest now, but force of habit makes me only associate pigs with food. It's going to take some retraining.

I just think it's ridiculous there's no option to turn it off unless you turn it to peaceful (and apparently Notch's view of it was "you won't get the option, deal with it"). I don't like having to deal with that, having to stop what I'm doing to go eat or get food because my food bar is low and if it hits empty then I start dying. I'd like to play on non-peaceful, while also not having to worry about the food bar.

There's still plenty I do love about the update though. Everything looks prettier for some reason, even on the default texture pack. I love rivers, and I also love that I'm practically tripping over clay no matter where I go (though it's kind of annoying all the clay I've found has been underwater). I love the huge oceans. Like, standing on the edge of a beach and looking out and not seeing anything form. Oh and swamps are wonderful.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I don't get the gripes about the hunger bar. I have spent probably 1% of my time since the update giving a poo poo about it since it barely goes down much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatest gatsby posted:

So is it possible to open doors without destroying them in creative mode or is that just a result of me using a trackpad and ctrl+click as button 2? Because that's the only thing I can think of that could be causing it

I know right-clicking with a regular mouse will open doors/push buttons/flip switches/etc in Creative without breaking them. Dunno what to tell you with a trackpad though.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Javid posted:

I don't get the gripes about the hunger bar. I have spent probably 1% of my time since the update giving a poo poo about it since it barely goes down much.

Hunger bar is great, it gives me something to do after a bit if I've neglected to gather food, sort of quest-like.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lord Dangleberry posted:

I just ate the rotten zombie meat the first night, which there is plenty of. Other than turning your food bar green, it seems to have no adverse effects.

I do believe I've figured out what goes on with the zombie meat and the green hungerbar---I obviously haven't spaded it all out because I can't be bothered with that poo poo, but just by staring really hard at the thing, I believe that the green hungerbar means you got indigestion or something, and the hungerbar drains faster...which can be fixed by eating more zombie meat. It still fills you up, you just remain full for a much shorter time.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Hunger bar own because it allows me to go caving a million times longer!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I'm recently getting the "Minecraft has run out of memory" a lot more than usual lately. Sometimes as soon as I enter into a brand new world it will say that. Java is completely up to date. I don't know what's going on. :( Is there a possible fix for this?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm having a lot of fun in 'shipwreck.' I have 6 hearts left, 5 hunger bars left, and I have 3 seeds growing next to water. Hopefully they grow into wheat before I starve to death. In the meantime I'm staying completely still and wondering how the heck I am going to get out of this mess even if I'm able to make a loaf of bread.

Edit: nthing the love for the hunger bar.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 16, 2011

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Cephalocidal posted:

Hunger bar is great, it gives me something to do after a bit if I've neglected to gather food, sort of quest-like.

I agree. People may hate me for this but I kinda wish there was more survivalish stuff with a point beyond "obtain more blocks". Like keeping your house warm if it's in a snow biome.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
Hey y'all I know this is oldass overposted poo poo here but I have to say: hunger makes this game fun as hell and for the first time ever I am playing it totally unmodded on a private server (Skeezy Pete's is back bitches) and hold up, gotta play the Mickey D's jingle on my giant boombox here, because "I'm lovin' it." I have an erection

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I finally got 1.8.1 going and I realized that the changing light colors make it easier to tell if an area is dark enough for mob spawns, even if you have brightness boosted.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

SyRauk posted:

I'm recently getting the "Minecraft has run out of memory" a lot more than usual lately. Sometimes as soon as I enter into a brand new world it will say that. Java is completely up to date. I don't know what's going on. :( Is there a possible fix for this?

Join the club. Heaps of us are getting that and so far there's no fix. I'm reinstalling Win7 tonight for unrelated reasons but I'll report back if it happens to make a difference.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

You know I was just thinking Creative mode would be great for messing around with note blocks. Then I dropped one and hit it to see what sound it made... oh, yeah. :saddowns:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I wish there was a sliding move after sprinting, it just seems so right

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Scumbag posted:

Join the club. Heaps of us are getting that and so far there's no fix. I'm reinstalling Win7 tonight for unrelated reasons but I'll report back if it happens to make a difference.

Try making a shortcut with this as the shortcut target:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx3172M -Xms1024M -jar "C:\Users\jeremiah\downloads\Minecraft.exe"

Only, you change the last part depending on where you put the minecraft.exe

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I have to admit, I thought hunger was gonna be masochistic sperg poo poo like it almost always is, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's balanced really well.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

SyRauk posted:

are you running out of HD space?

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
So, after doubting my memories about the whole bedrock fog thing due to seeing some of those videos in the mc forums thread, I decided to go and apply some :science: to the question, as it was entirely possible that some fixes had been made since that first pre-release version.

So, I fired up a new creative world, and quickly dug myself a hole down to the bottom of the bedrock layer (fun fact: in creative mode you can destroy bedrock. Including the final layer that's the last thing protecting you from a horrible death in the void. Although if you're quick enough you can double-tap space and fly back up to safety).

So here's my shaft:

And here's my test chamber:

In the interests of :science:, I dug the chamber out in two directions - one has a few skylights leading up to the surface (simple single-block columns, denoted by the gold blocks surrounding them), while the other has nothing but torches. Lots and lots of torches.

As you can see, from the bottom of the shaft, everything is clear and visible.

Moving into the control chamber (just torches), you can clearly see that a few steps away from the shaft, the far end of the chamber fades out of sight:

A few steps further, and the shaft itself is getting hard to see:

And finally, at the far end, you can't even see the far wall of the test chamber:

Moving into the other chamber, the nature of the mechanic seems clear - standing on a block with a clear view to the sky means no fog:

While moving away from it makes it gradually kick in, proportional to your distance from a block with a clear view of the sky:

Glass blocks installed into the skylight shafts (to prevent creeper suicide bombs from the ceiling, and other uninvited guests) had no effect on the lighting/fog, and it doesn't matter whether it's day- or night-time, as long as there's a clear view of the sky, the fog is suppressed.

So yeah, looks like the solution if you want to build at bedrock level is just lots and lots of skylights. If you're on SMP, I hope you at least have friendly ops who'll flip you to creative mode long enough to deal with it... and noone building anything above you.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

arhra posted:

So yeah, looks like the solution if you want to build at bedrock level is just lots and lots of skylights. If you're on SMP, I hope you at least have friendly ops who'll flip you to creative mode long enough to deal with it... and noone building anything above you.

This is the kind of thing I love about Minecraft, whenever Notch breaks something, people always find some wacky, convoluted workaround to fix it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

is there anyway to disable xp orbs on the new version? I'm running a server for a few people and there's complaining about the lag. (is it me do I smell?)

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Is there a way to get redstone to affect switches from below the block? Like, say you have the wiring setup for a lava moat, and you want the switch next to it, on the ground, with no redstone uglying up the place?

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Someone posted a seed a little while back that gave a decent sized island (filled a single map nicely) with a big lake in the middle of it. I know it's a pretty vague description but I'm really keen to play it if anyone can remember it or one like it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bat Ham posted:

Someone posted a seed a little while back that gave a decent sized island (filled a single map nicely) with a big lake in the middle of it. I know it's a pretty vague description but I'm really keen to play it if anyone can remember it or one like it.
Sure, let me grab that for you real quick.

It's Diablo's minions grow stronger and was discovered by UnCO3.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Vib Rib posted:

Sure, let me grab that for you real quick.

It's Diablo's minions grow stronger and was discovered by UnCO3.

Awesome, thanks for that. I knew it was Diablo something, but search wasn't giving me anything.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
I'm a little confused and seeing conflicting info. Are snow biomes not in 1.8? Or are they in, but not currently snowy?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Deep Winter posted:

Is there a way to get redstone to affect switches from below the block? Like, say you have the wiring setup for a lava moat, and you want the switch next to it, on the ground, with no redstone uglying up the place?

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Minarchist posted:

This is the kind of thing I love about Minecraft, whenever Notch breaks something, people always find some wacky, convoluted workaround to fix it.

There should be an easier way to bring sunlight down to bedrock level. Notch please make it so I can put sunlight in a bucket and poor it around down there.

Also craftable bottles to catch lighting in.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Javid posted:

I agree. People may hate me for this but I kinda wish there was more survivalish stuff with a point beyond "obtain more blocks". Like keeping your house warm if it's in a snow biome.

Yes, it would be beautiful if there were all kinds of optional difficulty settings. Like "die once" for the true masochists - if you die, the save is deleted. Or getting ill if you don't eat all food groups (veggies, fish, red meat) regularly. The magic word being optional.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Hey cool, a page I've already looked at. That's a lot of poo poo about logic gates, mind pointing me in the right direction?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Deep Winter posted:

Hey cool, a page I've already looked at. That's a lot of poo poo about logic gates, mind pointing me in the right direction?

Read like the first 3 sections bro

quote:

Blocks are strongly powered by redstone power sources; torches (from below), repeaters, levers, pressure plates etc. If a block is powered only by redstone wire then it is weakly powered. Redstone wire which is adjacent to, on top of, or below a block that is strongly powered will become active. It will not become active if that block is weakly powered.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Yes, it would be beautiful if there were all kinds of optional difficulty settings. Like "die once" for the true masochists - if you die, the save is deleted. Or getting ill if you don't eat all food groups (veggies, fish, red meat) regularly. The magic word being optional.

Sounds like the perfect job for the mod community. Would probably be pretty easy to accomplish as well, adding in a temperature variable to biomes based on day/night cycles and surrounding blocks, add in hearth objects and whatnot.

Malnutrition and dehydration, infections and diseases that require herbologic cures (more herbs as well)

Poison mushrooms, rotted meats/eggs/milk.

Rabies, tougher animals that fight back if attacked ineptly.

One death and save/world is deleted, much like a Roguelike

Intelligent enemies that set traps for you.

NPC communities that are lukewarm/hostile to outsiders from the wild and try to gyp you on trading.

Yessssss, that might be really fun.

Also an online cooperative mode with the same limitations and dangers where you all have to start up together and play at the same time to start the game, and again, dead = dead.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So my power went out in the middle of a mining session and when I came back the world has vanished from my list. The level data is still in my folder, but it won't show up in game. What gives?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Read like the first 3 sections bro

You aren't following me here. I'm wondering if I can have a lever, on top of a block, that is connected to redstone wire setup that does whatever. Without redstone being next to it following a redstone stair to the whatever. Redstone underneath that lever's block that is connected to a whatever. is that possible?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Mount Jar Jar.

Found this while creating worlds, trying to find a village.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Javid posted:

I got gang-raped by 2 creepers, a spider, and a handful of skeletons. There needs to be SOMETHING that heals immediately.

Odd considering I didn't think I'd care as much about the hunger bar as I do.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bengraven posted:

Mount Jar Jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Deep Winter posted:

You aren't following me here. I'm wondering if I can have a lever, on top of a block, that is connected to redstone wire setup that does whatever. Without redstone being next to it following a redstone stair to the whatever. Redstone underneath that lever's block that is connected to a whatever. is that possible?

I swear this question is answered in:

Redstone wire which is adjacent to, on top of, or below a block that is strongly powered will become active. It will not become active if that block is weakly powered.

This is what you mean, right?

Cause that's what that sentence is talking about and I think what you are asking?