Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Here's a blog post with some recommended Henry matches. Haven't seen them so I can't personally vouch for the quality, but these guys usually know their stuff (although calling him "an elite worker" is silly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

After seeing someone bring up the Daniel Bryan Airplane Spin in the WWE GDT, it got me to thinking about the "Dino Bravo Airplane Spin" that's featured in the background in "Encino Man," with Gorilla Monsoon saying "Oh, it's an airplane spin, going ROUND AND ROUND."

Does the actual Dino Bravo airplane spin exist on youtube/Dailymotion? Also, was it just a jobber in the spin, or anyone notable like Hercules or something? It's been years since I've seen Encino Man, but because the airplane spin actually gets referenced later in the movie, I always think of it.

I unfortunately posed this question in the middle of a Mark Henry argument, and have since gone through a bunch of Dino Bravo jobber matches and PPV matches, and yet have not found this clip. Anyone got a clue on this one? It's a fun curiosity, but if you want to talk about him getting shot in the head seventeen times, that's all you.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Hammond Edgar posted:

I can't remember, did I make this? I've actually forgotten but remember spending a lot of time in imageready with the original.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The Duck of Death posted:

Here's a blog post with some recommended Henry matches. Haven't seen them so I can't personally vouch for the quality, but these guys usually know their stuff (although calling him "an elite worker" is silly).

I would agree with the 200 ECW matches, he was really good fun as ECW champion with Tony Atlas.

I would also look at the matches that Henry and MVP had as a team against JeriShow and ShowMiz during that period when everyone was suddenly in a main event tag team.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Christian's promo at Night of Champions mentioned him being in the most memorable matches. This made me smarkily think of coasting off his old TLC stuff but he has been in some drat good matches. Even his Orton ones, it's overkill now but in a few years I think their matches will stand up; I remember his old feud with Jericho being good too

So, what are the best Christian matches? I didn't bother with his TNA run at all but I can imagine he's had a few good runs

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Christian is one of those guys who is consistently in very good matches, but doesn't get the build/spotlight where he really gets to shine.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
He doesn't get to shine because he isn't actually that good.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

triplexpac posted:

Christian is one of those guys who is consistently in very good matches,
:stare:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MrBling posted:

Ah, he's good, just not blow away like some people claim. I will never get the over the top praise PSP heaps on him, to be quite honest.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Ah, he's good, just not blow away like some people claim. I will never get the over the top praise PSP heaps on him, to be quite honest.

He had good matches with Zeke. He is a really great worker. Granted are less great workers in TV wrestling now than 5 years ago so it is easier to be one of the best, but he's genuinely one of the best wrestlers on the national stage.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Would I be wrong if I said Christian is a modern day Barry Windham?

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Christian is what jeff jarrett should have been.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

So what are his top 5 singles matches, any promotion?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Christian can have a good to great match with pretty much everyone, I always liked him but didn't think that much of him wrestling wise till he came back from TNA - he seems to have only improved with age, he's really good at getting the best out of his opponent.

Yet another reason I miss ECW :smith:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Christian can have a good to great match with pretty much everyone, I always liked him but didn't think that much of him wrestling wise till he came back from TNA - he seems to have only improved with age, he's really good at getting the best out of his opponent.

Yet another reason I miss ECW :smith:

Hey remember when Christian lost the title to Zeke on the very last ECW for seemingly no reason? That was pretty awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I'm not gonna sperg out and I don't think the guy is the greatest worker to ever live, but he had a really good match with Joe back in his TNA run. I'll see if I can find it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Would I be wrong if I said Christian is a modern day Barry Windham?

Absolutely. What held Windham back from being an all-time great (we can laugh now, but in the 80s, he was on that track) was the fact that he just outright stopped giving a poo poo. I don't think Christian ever has, let alone to the extent Windham did.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The only matches that stand out to me are gimmick matches, like the 8-Mile Streetfight/Barbedwire Cage match or the TLC/Ladder matches. Vanilla Christian doesn't do it for me at all. He's just around.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

tzirean posted:

Absolutely. What held Windham back from being an all-time great (we can laugh now, but in the 80s, he was on that track) was the fact that he just outright stopped giving a poo poo. I don't think Christian ever has, let alone to the extent Windham did.

Well, it's not the lack of caring comparison I was aiming for. I was trying to say no matter how great of a match Windham put on, he never came out as a superstar. Yes, partially because he didn't care, but he didn't have the superstar potential and neither does Christian.

I feel like I should have stayed away from the comparison now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ZoDiAC_ posted:

This is the thing about Christian as a singles competitor, none of his matches really truly stands out as THE Christian match. This sounds like an insult/a bad thing - but it's because the sheer quality of his matches is always so high. He ALWAYS delivers, if you see Christian in a match you know that no matter who his opponent is, he is going to get the best possible match he can out of them. I mean it's been said already, but he got good quality matches out of Zeke. ZEKE!

Probably his Ladder Match with Del Rio is the most emotional/big feeling match he's been in - but really, just look at any Christian match since he returned to ECW and you're pretty much seeing quality loving wrestling.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Christian had a column on Gametap a few years ago for some reason where he told a story about a time he and Samoa Joe were playing a video game with Joe in the lead, taunting him the entire time. Then Christian won at the last second and Samoa Joe quietly turned off his console and wept.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Hey remember when Christian lost the title to Zeke on the very last ECW for seemingly no reason? That was pretty awesome.

I've never understood why people got so mad at this. The title fell into a bottomless pit 3 minutes after the match ended. Who cares.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Probably his Ladder Match with Del Rio is the most emotional/big feeling match he's been in - but really, just look at any Christian match since he returned to ECW and you're pretty much seeing quality loving wrestling.
It's also one of the few ladder matches in recent WWE history with really good psychology.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Atticus Finch posted:

It's also one of the few ladder matches in recent WWE history with really good psychology.

The last one I can think of is the Jericho/Michaels one, but if you didn't expect those two to put on the best ladder match ever, then I don't know. Maybe you should watch bowling instead?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Christian will have a good match with that bowling ball.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

Christian will have a good match with that bowling ball.

And the bowling ball will win.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

Well, it's not the lack of caring comparison I was aiming for. I was trying to say no matter how great of a match Windham put on, he never came out as a superstar.

Oh yes he did. Windham could and should have been a huge star, but he married someone with money and stopped giving a poo poo after that because he wasn't as hungry, and because Flair refused to job the title to him before he left for WWE in the early 90s. Barry got huge reactions as a babyface challenging Flair in the 80s, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chilly McFreeze posted:

I've never understood why people got so mad at this. The title fell into a bottomless pit 3 minutes after the match ended. Who cares.

So Abyss has it now?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

So Abyss has it now?

This would make Abyss the most accomplished wrestler to never work for the WWE. WWE Championship *and* WWE HOF ring!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

The only matches that stand out to me are gimmick matches, like the 8-Mile Streetfight/Barbedwire Cage match or the TLC/Ladder matches. Vanilla Christian doesn't do it for me at all. He's just around.

I don't know how people can have this opinion. Christian just finished a series of matches with Orton where almost every time they were in the ring they were the best that night.

Every time they wrestled I went into it thinking "oh god, another Christian & Orton match??" and by the end I was totally into it. It ain't just Orton pulling that off.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

triplexpac posted:

I don't know how people can have this opinion. Christian just finished a series of matches with Orton where almost every time they were in the ring they were the best that night.

Every time they wrestled I went into it thinking "oh god, another Christian & Orton match??" and by the end I was totally into it. It ain't just Orton pulling that off.
Not everyone has to like Christian. Not everyone has to like my favorite wrestler (Kota Ibushi), either. Just opinions.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Flameingblack posted:

Not everyone has to like Christian. Not everyone has to like my favorite wrestler (Kota Ibushi), either. Just opinions.

I know they don't have to like Christian, but thinking he's "just around" seems... wrong to me. When I think of dudes that are "just around" I think of Riley. Mason Ryan. Mitch from the Spirit Squad (okay not really but I was trying to think of the most forgettable wrestler ever).

From a pure match quality standpoint, which is what we seem to be debating, I don't think you can argue that guys like that are above average at putting a match together and working in the ring. Even if you don't like Christian, I don't see how you can argue that he is average in the ring.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

triplexpac posted:

I know they don't have to like Christian, but thinking he's "just around" seems... wrong to me. When I think of dudes that are "just around" I think of Riley. Mason Ryan. Mitch from the Spirit Squad (okay not really but I was trying to think of the most forgettable wrestler ever).
Since I don't watch Smackdown a ton and skip their main events at PPVs, Christian really does seem like he's "Just around" in the same sense Alberto Del Rio is. If not for Ricardo and the cars, Del Rio wouldn't be a big deal at all. I feel like that's Christian to me. He's a main event star who can put on good matches, but there's not a lot of depth to his character, he's just kind of plain to me.

to me

I feel I need to stress that point because Christian fans are rapid, and they'll attack anyone who doesn't agree that he's the greatest thing.

I just never bought into internet hype. I'm not a fan of Zack Ryder, and I wasn't a fan of Bryan Danielson (Until just recently in his WWE run)

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

Since I don't watch Smackdown a ton and skip their main events at PPVs, Christian really does seem like he's "Just around" in the same sense Alberto Del Rio is. If not for Ricardo and the cars, Del Rio wouldn't be a big deal at all. I feel like that's Christian to me. He's a main event star who can put on good matches, but there's not a lot of depth to his character, he's just kind of plain to me.

to me

I feel I need to stress that point because Christian fans are rapid, and they'll attack anyone who doesn't agree that he's the greatest thing.

I just never bought into internet hype. I'm not a fan of Zack Ryder, and I wasn't a fan of Bryan Danielson (Until just recently in his WWE run)

Just a thought: Maybe he wouldn't just be 'there' to you if you actually watched something that he was in.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Flameingblack posted:

to me

Wrestling is pretty subjective, but I don't think you can really make a judgment on the quality of someone's matches if you admittedly "Skip their main events at PPVs."

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Even the most stout of Christian fans won't be mad at you for disliking his current character though. The whole Lawyer thing has been lame, its much better when he is just a douche that rips on people.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Wrestling is pretty subjective, but I don't think you can really make a judgment on the quality of someone's matches if you admittedly "Skip their main events at PPVs."
If 13 years isn't enough to decide that I'm indifferent towards Christian, you've got another eight before you can start complaining about Cena.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
First of all, I don't really have any issues with Cena, he works really hard, just with the way he's booked, and I'm hardly vocal about that. Second of all, I'm just going by the fact that you said you skip over the Smackdown main events. For all you know, he could have came into his own as a performer over the last year, just like Mark Henry did this summer.

If you based your opinion of the Undertaker on the first 13 years of his career, you'd think he loving sucked.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

You're not going to convince me to join the Christian bandwagon. It's not happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u

MrBling posted:

He's good at having a Christian Match and then he goes out there and has that same match with everyone

*hits post with shoulder

*stares at lights