Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

ManicJason posted:

Anyone play hockey out in Vegas? I just accepted a job offer there.
A friend of mine has a cousin who plays in a roller hockey league in Vegas, so they at least have that. Not sure where the rink is though,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I know there is an ice rink out there, since there is supposed to be a huge tournament right around the end of September.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Some brief googling found two rinks with a few more teams than where I am currently (Richmond, VA). I was curious if any goons happened to be out there.

Here's hoping Vegas doesn't make goalies pay like they do in Richmond!

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

ManicJason posted:

Some brief googling found two rinks with a few more teams than where I am currently (Richmond, VA). I was curious if any goons happened to be out there.

Here's hoping Vegas doesn't make goalies pay like they do in Richmond!
Bloody gently caress, there's another Richmond hockey goon here?

I play roller out at Shooters; can't skate ice worth poo poo so I haven't tried. I know goalies play free in Monday pickup, but I think they have to pay for the league (which, yes, is bullshit).

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 18, 2011

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
And I haven't played roller ever. I feel like goalies should be paid substantial amounts of money to play roller. Screw that.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

ManicJason posted:

And I haven't played roller ever. I feel like goalies should be paid substantial amounts of money to play roller. Screw that.

Absolutely agree. Roller for goalies is just awful.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've never tried those gatorade prime thingys but I seem to remember people talking about them here or in the goalie thread. If I drink one before my late game tonight will I ever be able to get to sleep?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Thufir posted:

I've never tried those gatorade prime thingys but I seem to remember people talking about them here or in the goalie thread. If I drink one before my late game tonight will I ever be able to get to sleep?

I usually burn through whatever the g1 gives me by period three.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

If I drink one before my late game tonight will I ever be able to get to sleep?
Restlessness after a hard workout has more to do with your body still being in "need lotsa energy mode" than what you drink. It can take hours for all the various systems to mellow out.

Beer helps. :haw:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

poser posted:

I'm already over this season..

On the team I run I hosed up the league fees when I did the roster.. I explained to our goalie that he had to pay more.. he was cool with it but when it was time he couldnt afford to pay a full share and I got stuck paying for half his season.

On another team I play PT with not everyone paid in time so I got stuck paying an extra $30.

So I paid $1135 for 1.5 seasons of hockey:smith:

We pay via the rink but we have it split between part time and full time... our goalie said he couldn't afford full time and only paid part time. If I didn't pay it would have been another $500 on top of that

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Restlessness after a hard workout has more to do with your body still being in "need lotsa energy mode" than what you drink. It can take hours for all the various systems to mellow out.

Beer helps. :haw:

Yeah, I just don't want to add any energy drink-style stimulation on top of the normal post-game stuff.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Thufir posted:

Yeah, I just don't want to add any energy drink-style stimulation on top of the normal post-game stuff.

You won't notice any difference after the game. Drink the G1 about 30 minutes before your ice time, the B Vitamins take a short while to hit your bloodstream.

Totally worth it, by the way.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

gigabitnokie posted:

You won't notice any difference after the game. Drink the G1 about 30 minutes before your ice time, the B Vitamins take a short while to hit your bloodstream.

Totally worth it, by the way.

Yeah, I did use it and felt pretty good. The jury's still out on if I'll be able to get to sleep but I'm trying to get some beer in me before bedtime.

In related news my new team needs some work; we got shelled 8-0.

e: Anyone have tips for winning faceoffs? It's a true testament to how bad my line is that I get stuck at center.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 19, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cheat. Go early, watch the puck not where it's landing, learn the rhythm of the linesman, etc. Or if you've got someone else that is athletic on the line go for the tie up and have them come in and get it. Usually most low level teams won't react fast enough and you can do this a few times before they might catch on. Then if they're expecting the tie up you can try to swoop in and win it cleanly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I played like absolute poo poo yesterday and it has me in a bad mood today. My god I was terrible.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

sellouts posted:

Cheat. Go early, watch the puck not where it's landing, learn the rhythm of the linesman, etc. Or if you've got someone else that is athletic on the line go for the tie up and have them come in and get it. Usually most low level teams won't react fast enough and you can do this a few times before they might catch on. Then if they're expecting the tie up you can try to swoop in and win it cleanly.

Pretty much this. If you encounter a centerman that seems to be willing faceoffs alot and getting the puck back sooner than you are, you can try tying up his stick when the linesman drops the puck instead of going for the puck at the drop. Simply lift his stick up and drop the puck back to your defensemen in one quick motion.

Also, make sure your defensemen know where you're intending the puck to go. Set them up properly, especially if the faceoff is in your zone so that they can take possession and set up plays faster.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Having a bye week sucks :smith:

Good news is that we have a double-header this coming Saturday and Sunday.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dyn posted:

Pretty much this. If you encounter a centerman that seems to be willing faceoffs alot and getting the puck back sooner than you are, you can try tying up his stick when the linesman drops the puck instead of going for the puck at the drop. Simply lift his stick up and drop the puck back to your defensemen in one quick motion.

Also, make sure your defensemen know where you're intending the puck to go. Set them up properly, especially if the faceoff is in your zone so that they can take possession and set up plays faster.

When it comes to faceoffs, its better to be neutral than to lose meaning that if you have a hard time winning faceoffs, just tie the guy up so that nobody wins.

One of my favorites is to push the puck behind the center man and try to get around him. It forces the puck into their zone and most of the time their D aren't ready to get the puck. I usually let the wingers know what I'm doing that way they can offer support if I get the puck. It works a lot more than it should.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

One of my favorites is to push the puck behind the center man and try to get around him. It forces the puck into their zone and most of the time their D aren't ready to get the puck. I usually let the wingers know what I'm doing that way they can offer support if I get the puck. It works a lot more than it should.

I love it when this happens. I play RW, and if my center pushes the puck just behind their center, I can quickly grab it and get a free shot. By the time the D knows what's happening, I'm already at the blue line or a little across it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You can work people over with set plays off of faceoffs, but good luck getting a bunch of "learn hockey as adult" beer league players to remember what they're doing and where they're supposed to be.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Any suggestions about improving general stability and balance on skates? Looking for specific drills/exercises that are more than just "strengthen your core and skate more yo." This is also for roller.

Background : I'm doing my backwards crossovers well enough (as in i'm not falling flat on my rear end when I'm skating and changing directions, I am stronger going to my right though) and I'm stopping to both sides. I just occasionally lose my balance (usually at the worst possible time) and it becomes a liability.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

You can work people over with set plays off of faceoffs, but good luck getting a bunch of "learn hockey as adult" beer league players to remember what they're doing and where they're supposed to be.

My friend and I do this:

He wins the puck to himself and sneak by the D for a pass.

Three things happen:

A- I score on an empty net
B- I shoot wide
C- I whiff and miss the puck

B and C happen a lot more than A:smith:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

Any suggestions about improving general stability and balance on skates? Looking for specific drills/exercises that are more than just "strengthen your core and skate more yo." This is also for roller.

Background : I'm doing my backwards crossovers well enough (as in i'm not falling flat on my rear end when I'm skating and changing directions, I am stronger going to my right though) and I'm stopping to both sides. I just occasionally lose my balance (usually at the worst possible time) and it becomes a liability.

YOu might be "too tall" on your skates, bend yo knees

Thufir
May 19, 2004

cenzo posted:

Bending your knees more makes pretty much everything about skating better. Also work on your edges.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

bewbies posted:

I played like absolute poo poo yesterday and it has me in a bad mood today. My god I was terrible.

I did last week, I'm going to try and get to pickup tonight to exorcize the demons, but I have to get out of work early. Hoping they let us go early.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Vital Signs posted:

A2ice3 all day.

Hey Ann Arbor dudes, what team/division are you guys on? I'm playing a Goon Squad tomorrow night in D2

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

nahanahs posted:

Hey Ann Arbor dudes, what team/division are you guys on? I'm playing a Goon Squad tomorrow night in D2
Bull Schlitz in C league. I still don't get why the rinks highest level is C...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

cenzo posted:

I'm just starting to learn (roller) and so far these suggestions are cool. Biggest problem is that my feet start to KILL me within 5 minutes of wearing them. My arches feel like they're being stretched beyond their physical limits. The boot is as tight as it will go, and I can still tip the skates side to side on my ankles like its nothing. I tried different sizes at the store yesterday and it became apparent that even after smaller or larger sizes and constricting all blood to my foot, my ankle can still tip like its nothin'

So I'm on the one hand feelin' kind of good that its not my fault for buying the wrong size roller. On the other hand, how the hell do I get used to this? I know the basic concept of turning, its just that I can't keep the skate 'straight' while trying to turn- I always move my ankle.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm just starting to learn (roller) and so far these suggestions are cool. Biggest problem is that my feet start to KILL me within 5 minutes of wearing them. My arches feel like they're being stretched beyond their physical limits. The boot is as tight as it will go, and I can still tip the skates side to side on my ankles like its nothing. I tried different sizes at the store yesterday and it became apparent that even after smaller or larger sizes and constricting all blood to my foot, my ankle can still tip like its nothin'

So I'm on the one hand feelin' kind of good that its not my fault for buying the wrong size roller. On the other hand, how the hell do I get used to this? I know the basic concept of turning, its just that I can't keep the skate 'straight' while trying to turn- I always move my ankle.

Some lower level inline skates have really poor ankle support so no matter how tight you lace the skate, you can still move your ankle around since the material doesnt keep its shape.

My Bauer Vapor XLI or whatevers have a really stiff boot, equal to my ice boot. I usually have to lace them tight around the toes, ease up around the middle of my foot, and then snug around the top of the skate with one wrap around the back of my ankle and I usually do a squat in my skates to make sure they allow me to bend forward but are still tight enough to feel secure.

As for your arches, try some new footbeds. Most hockey skates come with poo poo foot beds which are terrible for arch support.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

cenzo posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBfaoWQaeTQ

There is no better skating drill.

As an added bonus it is also a really good indicator of your current skating ability. When I started skating again last fall after a 4 year layoff I felt like I hadn't lost that much...until I tried to do this drill. When I was playing competitively I could do it without much effort. When I tried it after my time off...well...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

As for your arches, try some new footbeds. Most hockey skates come with poo poo foot beds which are terrible for arch support.

Getting some superfeet for my skates made me feel like a new man.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Getting some superfeet for my skates made me feel like a new man.

Agreeing with this, the Superfeet insoles are awesome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

How do you build up to that?

I know for a fact if I attempted this at my skill level, I'd fall over just about instantly. There's gotta be some way to ease into it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

How do you build up to that?

I know for a fact if I attempted this at my skill level, I'd fall over just about instantly. There's gotta be some way to ease into it.

Just doing c-cuts about the ice is probably your best bet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtwM1T3_x6M&feature=related

If you don't mind looking silly hopping about is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwRrJa4q5iM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

lol

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

bewbies posted:

As an added bonus it is also a really good indicator of your current skating ability. When I started skating again last fall after a 4 year layoff I felt like I hadn't lost that much...until I tried to do this drill. When I was playing competitively I could do it without much effort. When I tried it after my time off...well...

If you guys don't hear from me it's because I actually got seriously injured trying to do this. Most likely culprit is death by falling.

I wonder if that's even feasible on roller blades. For science!!! :science:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

cenzo posted:

I wonder if that's even feasible on roller blades. For science!!! :science:

Since that's an edge drill I'm gonna guess no, careful of your ankles.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Watching that made me nearly throw up from exhaustion. I think what impressed me the most wasn't that he was able to do that, but that he was doing it while staying so low on his one leg. Bending my knees and getting/staying low is my biggest focus right now, and drat that exhibition just blows me away.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beat me to the punch. This drill owns.

To build up to this I would recommend focusing on getting a good push, staying low with knees bent as much as possible, and coasting on one skate with the other skate lifted. do this in a straight line for as long as possible. then the other leg, repeat. Get used to perfect balance and control using each skate and then each edge. no wobbling.

Oh and keep your head up at all times, don't look down.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

getting a good push

CHEATING

Also I forgot to mention I got a little bit of playtime with the new Easton sticks yesterday. The RS was not very impressive considering its the price of a new car, and it is really really thin down near the blade.

On the flip side I was really impressed with the 65S. It was extremely light and it felt great, particularly shooting. It is going to absolutely kill at that $100 price point, seems like it is going to be an ideal first OPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

nahanahs posted:

Final season for Never/Ever on Yaks Farm Team
Captain of D3 Yaks Team.
Sub fairly frequently on the D2 Yaks team.

I still cant stop to the left after 2 years haha. I just have no feel for that edge. Occasionally I can do it but only if it's by instinct and no conscious thought is involved. I'm bad.