Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

But seriously, Yukiko is pretty boring and her SLink is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think he was jestin'

With regards to Overclocked, is it odd that I find Midori more bearable now that she has an annoying voice? I don't really know why, I just know I actually laughed out loud when her and the MC have that little gossip chat after she joins.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I want to play this new fighting game so Kanji can finally follow through on that threat to beat the poo poo out of Yosuke.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Neeksy posted:

I have strong feelings about [video game girlfriend]!
Love Plus needs to start branching out and licensing so I can take all my favorite video game girlfriends on dates. I want to take Aigis to the zoo~

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

YggiDee posted:

I want to play this new fighting game so Kanji can finally follow through on that threat to beat the poo poo out of Yosuke.

And he'll do it with style.

...he sure bulked up for the fighting game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I can certainly say this for Ultimate more than anything else, I get to kick the poo poo out of Yosuke with Kanji and Chie.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

TurnipFritter posted:

And he'll do it with style.

...he sure bulked up for the fighting game.

God drat Kanji looks like a loving boss in that pose. I seriously can't wait for this game, I'm really hoping it comes out in the States.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Yeah! Hit him with the chair!

We'll show you who's "safe" around Kanji. It's not you, Yosuke!

Nessa fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

TurnipFritter posted:

But seriously, Yukiko is pretty boring and her SLink is awful.

This is truth.

Almost as truthy as Rise being irritating as all get out.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I, too, have feelings about the quality of Persona 4's S-Links. These feelings are that all of the ones I have done are good. :colbert:

I need to start up the re-play I've been trudging through for the past year. Just about to recruit Naoto. It would go a lot faster if I had more from my first playthrough than just the personae. My personae in the first play suuuucked.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

RentACop posted:

I think he was jestin'

With regards to Overclocked, is it odd that I find Midori more bearable now that she has an annoying voice? I don't really know why, I just know I actually laughed out loud when her and the MC have that little gossip chat after she joins.

Yeah it's not so bad now that she sounds geekish. (I'm getting Disgaea 3 flashbacks listening to Atsuro and Yoohoo.)

I didn't find any of P4's Slinks to be particularly BAD, just boring. But the guy responsible for writing the Slink stories wasn't the guy who wrote the main scenario, if I remember the credits correctly. Still, I liked all the characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like Chie's SLink the best because large portions of it involved consumption of cooked meat, and that is something I can get behind.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
75 hours into Persona 3:FES, finished the last fullmoon shadow battle and I'm somewhere in November now. I kinda regret how I raised a good deal of my social links (way too much time in hermit and hanged man that never paid off) and most of my max links don't get any great persona until the 70s or 80s. Thankfully I did max emperor so I'll be able to get Odin sometime soon but I wish the really cool personae (Beelzebub, Satan, Lucifer) weren't so drat high. I raised my s.links based on who I found the most interesting/what arcana has persona I liked the most based on aesthetics and stuff. I totally neglected temperance, justice , high priestess and some others that I assumed would suck but probably would have made my life easier in Tartarus.

Oh well, I learned my lesson for when I play Persona 4 and PS3P (permanent Shinjoro! and female MC yay!). Also, aside from the orpheus awakening scene early on all the anime cutscenes are horrible. Everyone is mis proportioned and they have weird muppet mouths. If you're seriously on the fence about whether you should get FES or portable do NOT let the anime cutscenes be a deciding factor. Most of them are bad on a near Tim Buckley scale and I'm saying this as someone who loves this game.

That aside, what are some persona I can fuse in the 50s range that have bufudyne spells? I have access to agi,garu and zio but ice spells seem hard to get a hold of in this game. In many cases I'm still using mabufu to knock over ice weak enemies. I don't have the empress arcana social link yet (doing lovers).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

PS3P (permanent Shinjoro! and female MC yay!).

Shinjiro isn't permanent. He goes into a coma instead of dying if you save him.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

ImpAtom posted:

Shinjiro isn't permanent. He goes into a coma instead of dying if you save him.

Are you serious? That's awfully disappointing :smith:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

I like Chie's SLink the best because large portions of it involved consumption of cooked meat, and that is something I can get behind.

Also much of her link is about her wanting to protect her friends (Yukiko in perticular) so when she confronts those dudes she's pretty much like "You got a problem with me take it out on me! Go ahead, HIT ME! HIT ME I DARE YOU YOU PIECE OF poo poo TAKE YOUR SHOT RIGHT HERE" and they get all freaked out and leave

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Bufudyne

It looks like your earliest option for Bufudyne is Parvati at level 52. She'll also give you a skill card.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

YggiDee posted:

I like the way you think.

Also drat Kanji, as if you weren't badass enough already. I think that gif alone would've sold me on the fighting game if I wasn't already.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hurrrm, Innocent Sin is having some rather mixed reviews out the gate. Now I'm concerned.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIt7CtionFo&hd=1

Updated Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena trailer, has new footage of the 2 new characters

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^^ Wonder what they're going to name it if it comes out in the West

Speedball posted:

Hurrrm, Innocent Sin is having some rather mixed reviews out the gate. Now I'm concerned.

In the "wow this port sucks" way or in the "hey guys it's still a JRPG that was already super crazy over a decade ago" way?

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 19, 2011

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mostly it's complaints that it's a 10 year old game that plays like a 10 year old game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Justice was singing its praises when it first came out :shobon:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIt7CtionFo&hd=1

Updated Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena trailer, has new footage of the 2 new characters

Care to spoil it for people who can't click on the video?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Kanji and Yukiko. Not new revelations, just the first time we've seen video of them (as far as I know).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Kanji and Yukiko. Not new revelations, just the first time we've seen video of them (as far as I know).

They've been around since the start of TGS actually

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I apologise for bugging you with this, but due to spoiler reasons, I can't really ask in the Let's Play thread of it due to spoiler reasons.

Is anyone able to take some screenshots of Strange Journey for me? I need a couple of captures of what Sector C looks like for an article I'm writing. While I own the game, it's a physical copy, and I'm not really sure about how I would get my save over to my computer.

It's nothing too major, just a clear shot of either the background that shows up in battle/in storyline conversations (It has a big escalator in the back and caged crocodiles to the right hand side); or of the overworld itself so you can see some of the BUY SELL CONSUME posters, or of the Apsaras that tells you "We hope you enjoy yourself until the world runs out of resources". Whichever would be easiest.

On topic, I'm pretty excited for P4U, I love fighters, and Persona 4 has more than enough good source material to work. Chie is looking a whole lot like Jam; which i have no problem with. I'm not sure how they'll get Rise to work, though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rise is the announcer, you can see her gabbing endlessly in the match videos from TGS.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Rise is the announcer, you can see her gabbing endlessly in the match videos from TGS.

Oh, duh.

Hm, I was hoping the English voice actors for the game would be present, but I dunno if I want to hear EnglishRise doing the equivalent of BlazBlue's "Counter! Counter!"

e: spelling

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2011

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone expecting Persona 2:IS to not be an outdated PSX era RPG is going to be disappointed. I don't think something in the 70/100 or 3/5 range is unfair since in some ways it hasn't aged well and people don't take kindly to high encounter rates or grindy stuff like the contact system and I can't blame them (I am past that myself for the most part). Basically it has the problems you'd expect a game like this to have and should shock no one.

However I think some of the reviews are just off (the Gamespot one in particular). The game's plot literally gets rolling about fifteen minutes in and the battle system is no less repetitive than any more recent Persona. The ability to organize the order of your team members and to switch their Personas makes it important to pay attention. Complaining about having to repeat the same attacks and menus is also kind of strange when modern RPGs still face that problem. Also the rumor system is hardly too time consuming (it's literally talking to a person, then "buying" the rumor) and it's fairly innovative in it lets you determine how you want things in stores to be sold among other instances of special demon fights and such. It just feels like the reviewer is looking for things to complain about.

Honestly if you are looking for Persona 3 or 4, but with PSX graphics you are not going to like this game. It sounds like it's a fine port (I haven't played it myself yet but haven't heard of any new issues) so I wouldn't let bad reviews hold you back if you know what you are buying.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 19, 2011

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Yukiko is basically the definition of femininity. She represents everything you fear about women. Youd like her if she was some braindead BAKADESUNE slut who fed you sushi and wept with joy when you remembered her name.

In fact, I would venture forth that Yukiko Amagi is a portrait of Japanese feminism. I wrote my WMST paper on her. Got an A+.

HarveyVdarski fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 19, 2011

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

They've been around since the start of TGS actually

In that case I have no idea what Policenaut meant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Yukiko is basically the definition of femininity. She represents everything you fear about women. Youd like her if she was some braindead BAKADESUNE slut who fed you sushi and wept with joy when you remembered her name.

In fact, I would venture forth that Yukiko Amagi is a portrait of Japanese feminism. I wrote my WMST paper on her. Got an A+.
This but without the ironiy. (This is ironic, right?)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Isn't Mayonaka TV the Japanese name for the Midnight Channel? In which case I would assume it would be Persona 4: Midnight Arena or something like that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Irony.or.Death posted:

They were actually in the original trailer back on the 8th too, but only in very short clips.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's the original trailer, updated with the two new characters, which is exactly what I said before.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Policenaut posted:

It's the original trailer, updated with the two new characters, which is exactly what I said before.

There weren't any new characters. :confused:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Magikoopa189 posted:

There weren't any new characters. :confused:

Except Atlus hadn't officially announced those two characters until Tokyo Game Show and that trailer is an updated one to feature them.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Everything is better with Persona 4 background music.

I finally thought to import the music tracks. Now I can bring the Junes song with me wherever I go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

tooooooo bad posted:

...Ultimate Midnight Channel Arena?