Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

another issue to note - how compatible are the computer technologies of the two sides? the borg have demonstrated that they are quite adept at assimilating not only biological specimens, but also the computer networks of their targets. if the borg were able to infiltrate and assume command of the death star main computer banks (as the rogue droid IG-88 had done), then they could turn the very station against its masters. an interesting ploy, but i have my doubts that they would be able to puzzle out star wars computing within a reasonable timeframe.

the borg were able to pretty swiftly gently caress around with the enterprise computers the first time they came aboard. considering that a lil astromech droid was able to immediately pull information about a prisoner's location from the DS computers, i bet the borg could really gently caress some poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the borg just need to assimilate one jedi and then they can mind trick everybody into standing still while a drone walks up and injects the nanos.

they could probably isolate midichlorians, grow them in a lab, and then modify every drone to be a jedi.

in conclusion, gently caress george lucas

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also just want to say The Fifth Element is a loving killer movie

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sg1/sga own b/c they actually did the obvious thing of transporting nukes into ships.

but borg wouldnt do that even if they could because their goal is assimilation, not destruction. although maybe they come to the decision that the chance of assimilating the death start successfully is too low and that destroying it as the only roadblock between them and the galaxy is the better long term option.

as you say this depends on the quality + quantity of drones in the cube and the resulting reasoning ability of the hive mind.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ya this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
memory-alpha is the best website on the internet

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
yeah it's pretty great agreed.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

if a truly intelligent voice arose among the collective, they would just transport an explosive device directly into the core of the death star and knock it out of commission immediately - but since they never attempt that during encounters with ships in the star trek universe, i doubt they would here. also even if they lost the cube but got drones aboard the death star, it would be worth it - a borg assimilated death star cruising around the galaxy would be an unstoppable force.

why would they teleport an explosive in if they're after the technological distinctiveness?

also, the force is an organic effect brought about by midichlorians, therefore all it takes is an attempted assimilation of a single force-sensitive and all of a sudden you've got superpowered borg flying around

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

CoupleBeersNoBeers posted:

vonnegut is the poo poo, give galapagos a shot next, or hocus pocus

like i haven't already read these a dozen times :rolleyes:

actually mother night is my favorite of his

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

that movie is dumb as poo poo and i watch it every single time it's on

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the motives of the borg are blurry at best. in their first introduction they were purely after biological and technological distinctiveness, but later on they were more obsessed with blowing people up and/or increasing their headcount. at first they would even leave entire races alone because they weren't technologically or biologically interesting.

but then later, for example their whole jaunt back in time during first contact, assimilating the earth would have gained them no technological improvements - just a poo poo ton of bodies. the would have a strongpoint in the alpha quadrant which they could then use to assimilate the rest of the neighboring races, but at no point would their technology get much better. there was really no reason for them to do this. you could argue that they did it because the federation was a threat, but it really wasn't - the borg just needed to send more than one cube at a time.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
the writers of first contact and voyager basically didn't understand what the borg were. they weren't some character driven enemy, but rather they were supposed to be presented as more of a force of nature that was neither good nor evil, like some sort of natural disaster that came and went.

then the writers hosed them up and made them menacing jerks that went around plotting to blow poo poo up and gave them a queen.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

kirk...kirk stop it, youre hurting yourself!!! :ohdear:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also that movies demand more action than tv and first contact (tho the best of the tng movies) is not that great

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

kirk...kirk stop it, youre hurting yourself!!! :ohdear:

i had literally 1500+ posts in a star trek thread

a star trek thread in LF

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trig Discipline posted:

that movie is dumb as poo poo

no dumber than most space opera

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kirk posted:

the writers of first contact and voyager basically didn't understand what the borg were. they weren't some character driven enemy, but rather they were supposed to be presented as more of a force of nature that was neither good nor evil, like some sort of natural disaster that came and went.

then the writers hosed them up and made them menacing jerks that went around plotting to blow poo poo up and gave them a queen.

ya this. brannon braga and rdm are wierd cause they sometimes write good but then other times they have really bad ideas. i think they need people to occasionally push them back into the canon and say "no thats not star trek you retard"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

fifth element is dumb as poo poo in all the right ways

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

a star trek thread in LF

that thread was pretty great.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kirk posted:

the borg are a hell of a way to introduce a 7-year old to the concept of existential horror.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

a star trek thread in LF

lol that thread was the greatest trekchat i have ever seen

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
all those posts lost... like... tears... in the rain

time to autoban

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i just finished a book by joel engel about gene roddenberyy. holy poo poo roddenberry was a scumbag, and also pretty severely hosed up medically by the time TNG rolled along. david gerrold basically deserved a co-creator credit for TNG.

like i knew he was a sleaze since reading Inside Star Trek but Engel's book took it to a whole new level of :stare:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Example: during the TOS run, Leonard Nimoy was offered $2000 to make a public appearance somewhere out on the East coast on a Saturday morning. In order to make his flight he needed to leave work a couple of hours early on Friday. Nimoy goes to Roddenberry and explains his situation and asks for his help. Roddenberry then says "oh yeah, I've been thinking of organizing cast appearances through my company, Lincoln Enterprises. I'll represent you for a cut of the action."
"Gene, I've already got an agent. I don't need to pay you another 20%."
"Your problem is, you need to learn how to bow down and say 'master'."

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
tbf if i were roddenberry id do whatever it took to start nailing nichols and barrett in their prime

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kirk posted:

tbf if i were roddenberry id do whatever it took to start nailing nichols and barrett in their prime

he was doing that before star trek even started though

also he was a massive pillpopper in his old age, when i get home i'll post the laundry list of poo poo he had running through his system during TNG, along with severe alcoholism and a cocaine habit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

also he was a massive pillpopper in his old age, when i get home i'll post the laundry list of poo poo he had running through his system during TNG, along with severe alcoholism and a cocaine habit.

I knew there was a reason rick berman lasted so long

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
my fave story is how much he wanted to edit the last star trek movie made before he died and instead of going along with his insane cuts they just waited for him to die v:shobon:v

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

graph posted:

jesus gently caress close and gas this poo poo

no dont

I LIKE Kirk's quasi-ironic spergposting, this thread is finally going places

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

star trek has had an enormous impact on culture and technology and we should all be thankful for mr. roddenberry's visioooooooooooooooooooooooo

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Kirk posted:

a star trek thread in LF

i hope you're not ashamed of this, you carried that thread and it was hilarious

you did well son

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i am a spiner-fem

time for a brent break

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

also i just finished a book by joel engel about gene roddenberyy. holy poo poo roddenberry was a scumbag, and also pretty severely hosed up medically by the time TNG rolled along. david gerrold basically deserved a co-creator credit for TNG.

like i knew he was a sleaze since reading Inside Star Trek but Engel's book took it to a whole new level of :stare:

my favorite story from inside star trek was when he was about to bang his secretary in his office but his wife showed up at the front door a few minutes later and his mistress at the back door a few minutes after that

he also complained about how he could only have sex 3 times a day or so

basically gene was a giant horn dog sex pervert

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all that poo poo kirk posted sure does exist

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Luigi Thirty posted:

basically gene was a giant horn dog sex pervert

following in the footsteps of l. ron hubbard

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
remember the dianetics ads from the 80s with the erupting volcano?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamboning
May 2, 2010

gimme the cash

• Locked thread