Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Protip: Sharpen your skates more often than every 4-5 months. I've never spent so much time laying on the ice than this past weekend, sheesh.

Not even in your high school tramp days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Habibi posted:

Not even in your high school tramp days?

Well, I meant besides those days. Obviously.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, I meant besides those days. Obviously.

I get my sharpened almost religiously after 10 hours on the ice. For me lately, that's been about every 2 months. Mainly, if I start losing edges during games or when I do a hockey stop and my skates skip, then I know it's time.

Pro-Tip for Bay Area hockey goons: San Jose Sharpening and Profiling (across the street from Sharks Ice) is the best sharpening shop in the area.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Anyone got any advice for shin guards? I need new ones as the ones I have are I believe too long. I'm 5'7"/8" and I've seen various fitting advice for size. I rock 15 inch ones right now and they are clearly too long but I've tried on other brands 15 inchers and they seem to fit better. TO be safe I'm dropping an inch no matter what. Anyone around my size got suggestions?

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

soggybagel posted:

Anyone got any advice for shin guards? I need new ones as the ones I have are I believe too long. I'm 5'7"/8" and I've seen various fitting advice for size. I rock 15 inch ones right now and they are clearly too long but I've tried on other brands 15 inchers and they seem to fit better. TO be safe I'm dropping an inch no matter what. Anyone around my size got suggestions?
I recently downsized to 13" and I'm 5'10. Even they might be an inch longer than I'd like.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam. I wear 14" shin-guards, which are just about the right size (my last pair was 13" and in retrospect they were a little short). To fit 'em, wear them with your skates on. They should come down to meet up with the top part of your skate boot (not the tongue). You should have full protection, but still be able to flex your ankles completely forward without impediment. Though that length might also change if you're the kind of wierdo that tucks your shin guards under your tongues.

FWIW - I picked up some CCM U+'s and they're....aaaaaiight. Reebok bought Jofa, so if I could have found some in my size when I was looking, I would have gone with them.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 27, 2011

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Im 5'8" and I wear Bauer size 13's. I tuck my tongue under, and I have maybe a 1/2 inch between the skate and the guard on the sides.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
You're all a bunch of midgets. Except for D C, I think he's huge.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The issue i have is that they are clearly too high when i kneel down on one knee and its sticking up too high. It obviously covers the knee but they kind of get caught up in the hockey pants too. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see how things go with 13.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

Im 5'8" and I wear Bauer size 13's. I tuck my tongue under, and I have maybe a 1/2 inch between the skate and the guard on the sides.

You should ask my teammate what happens when you leave a gap between your boot and your shin guards:

In the first period he took a fall into the boards and his back skate dug right into his ankle, slicing it wide open.

He finished the game.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 27, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dangerllama posted:

You should ask my teammate what happens when you leave a gap between your boot and your shin guards:

And that right there is why I carry suture strips in my gear bag. Absolutely indispensable, they are.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

soggybagel posted:

The issue i have is that they are clearly too high when i kneel down on one knee and its sticking up too high. It obviously covers the knee but they kind of get caught up in the hockey pants too. I'll go to the store tomorrow and see how things go with 13.

Just tape that part down, it won't get caught up anymore (assuming you were looking for alternatives to buying smaller ones)

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

soggybagel posted:

I'm 6' and wear 15's. I used to wear 14's in roller, 15's on ice because of that photo above. I've seen 2 guys get slices down there due to lack of protection.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

trilljester posted:

You're all a bunch of midgets.

That's all that I was thinking reading those posts. I'm 6'7" off skates and am now paranoid about the tiny shin pads I wear. Gonna look into another pair especially after seeing that ankle-cut.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

robcat posted:

Just tape that part down, it won't get caught up anymore (assuming you were looking for alternatives to buying smaller ones)

I'm not really articulating this well but I think they are just too big period. I mean you've got guys who are 5 inches taller than me wearing the same size. Obviously milage varies but I think I just need smaller shin pads. I'm going to try a bunch on tomorrow.

El Nam
Jan 14, 2007
We found Charlie
Forgot to post this. Happened this year to my team mate. He was diving to block a puck, but one of the guys on the other team tried to jump over him, with his skate landing at the spot where the elbow pad ends, before the glove starts.

Not pretty.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You dudes should probably NWS the gaping wounds you've been posting.

Some dude in the first game was debating putting on his cage, decided not to, then caught a stick above the eye and had to leave the game because he couldn't see through the blood. Will be interesting to see if the cage is on this Wednesday.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Way to post all this gory poo poo a week before I start playing hockey you dicks.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yuck. My pretty face stays behind a cage always.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

El Nam posted:

Forgot to post this. Happened this year to my team mate. He was diving to block a puck, but one of the guys on the other team tried to jump over him, with his skate landing at the spot where the elbow pad ends, before the glove starts.

Not pretty.

Makes me glad I bought a neck guard. It's a rare problem, but with all the equipment I wear, I can sometimes forget how dangerous skates are.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I wear 13"s and I am 5'6. Isn't there a chart per brand?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

El Nam posted:

When I got my gear, I made sure to get elbow pads and gloves that left no seam. The skate would somehow have to come in at an angle to get to my tender flesh. Apparently this isn't the popular thing to do because it really limited my glove selection, but I ain't on the ice to win a fashion contest. :colbert:

Re: shin guards, if they're hitting your pants, it could also mean the pants are too long.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Before committing to shin guards you need to stake out your position on the over-tongue/under-tongue controversy. If you're an under-tonguer, you'd probably go an inch shorter than you would if you were an over-tonguer.

I'm 6' even, and I wear 15" Itechs (which ran long when they still made them) over the tongue.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 27, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'm 5'10" and I wear some 14" older Eastons over-tongue but I'm not sure how useful all this is because it seems like manufacturers size shin guards differently .

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I'm 5'10" and I wear some 14" older Eastons over-tongue but I'm not sure how useful all this is because it seems like manufacturers size shin guards differently .

5'10" also and I got 14" reebok over-tongue. I'd say they're just a hair too long, but 13's were too short.

Two data points! That's almost real statistics!

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

xzzy posted:

5'10" also and I got 14" reebok over-tongue. I'd say they're just a hair too long, but 13's were too short.

5'10" and wear 13" Warriors over-tongue. Three data points!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 27, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
e:^^^another point for you here :v:

xzzy posted:

I'm 5'6" and wear 14" Bauer Vapors over the tongue. I wouldn't wear anything shorter, they come right down to my feet and the plastic cap touches the pants. There are no open holes where a puck or skate can get in and hit my leg directly. I realise that comfort is important, but I don't like getting hurt (or even stung a bit) for no reason when I'm blocking a shot. Especially not when I'm blocking a point shot that could lead to a break the other way.

I readily admit that all my gear (except elbow pads) are probably too big, but they fit well together regardless. I have large Graf shoulderpads that I picked mostly because the chest plate comes down to my pants, covering all of that vulnerable area (including the abdomen).

Sure, now that I'm playing beer league it doesn't matter (hell I don't even wear shouldies most of the time) but back in my playing competitively days, before the obstruction crackdown, all of this was needed to protect against hooks, slashes and the like as well as pucks. The best part of the obstruction crackdown has been not coming out of games with my torso looking like a bruised, scraped up mess.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Minister Robathan posted:

There are no open holes where a puck or skate can get in and hit my leg directly. I realise that comfort is important, but I don't like getting hurt (or even stung a bit) for no reason when I'm blocking a shot.

I totally agree, though it is drat annoying to get off the bench and have the bottom edge of my pants catch on the top rim of my shin pads.

But it does mean I'm fearless when it comes to stepping in front of pucks. It's beginner play, so no one has a terribly hard shot, but it's nice to feel nothing but a thunk.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Someone pointed out to me last night that my team has 3 games next week. Figure in my other league, and I've got 4 straight nights of games, Sunday through Wednesday. I was worried I would miss a lot of the schedule cause I fly out for vacation on Thursday for 2 weeks. But after a run like this, I think I'll need a 2 week break just to recover.

Worse yet, a guy on both my teams is also part of a third league. That means he has 5 games next week!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Loqieu posted:

Worse yet, a guy on both my teams is also part of a third league. That means he has 5 games next week!

That would be so awesome. I'm excited for the end of October when we have 3 games in 7 nights. Playing hockey owns.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'd play 3-4 times a week if I could. Summer season was nice because we played twice a week but now it's only on Sundays which sucks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thufir posted:

edit: VVVV updated! VVVV

5'9", 13-inch Vapors!

e: Multiple games in a week own. We just had Saturday and Sunday games this past weekend. On Saturday, we tied it up with 2 minutes left in the game, then lost it with 38 seconds left :smith:. Pulled out a fantastic 1-goal come from behind victory on Sunday though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
5'10" - 14" Reebok 4k. And they're amazing. Removeable knee gasket keeps them smelling fresh and a wide mesh netting/padding that keeps air circulating pretty well.

I tuck my skate tongue into my shinguards, it allows them to go down to the top of my foot and actually gives me more freedom of movement than when I used to put them inside the tongue. I also used to get lace bite as well as some irritation on the top of my foot when I ran them that way. When you overlap your shin guards on top of the tongue, it actually creates a better level of protection than untucking, the tongue is padding and will protect the top of your foot to some degree, if you don't tuck them under your guards, you open a very small window of exposure on the top of your foot above your laces between the folded over tongue and the bottom of the guard (assuming you also don't tuck your tongue into your socks).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I play 4 nights a week. I dont do much else anymore.

Also I am 6' and wear 15" rbk 9ks over my tongue.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Those 4Ks look nice for the price.

also everyone seems to be over-tongue.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I wear my shin pads inside the tongue but I loosely tape around my ankle (bad I know) so nothing is getting between them anyhow.

No idea on my length, I'll check that when I get home :science: for science :science:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Over/under tongue meaning over/under the tongue of the skate right? If so, I wear it under. I think it looks weird over...

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, for "over" I mean over the tongue tucked under like this:

(gently caress Corey Perry's foot)

and "under" / tongue not tucked:

(Jeff Halpern)

I agree that "under" looks less weird but I kept getting hit in gaps at the ankle when I did it. Most NHLers seem to be overers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
5'11 and use 13" Vapor XXXX shins; under the tongue, gotta have the flop!~