Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
started on water sleeps :black101:

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
a 2011 interview with cook said he had two books to write before the next black company book, and one of those two books is already scheduled for publishing in early 2012

so if we get really lucky there's a new one that could be here by early 2013

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

im starting watching deep space 9 for the first time. cant wait~

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sneaking Mission posted:

im starting watching deep space 9 for the first time. cant wait~
warning: the first couple of seasons are kind of meh

Kirk posted:

a 2011 interview with cook said he had two books to write before the next black company book, and one of those two books is already scheduled for publishing in early 2012

so if we get really lucky there's a new one that could be here by early 2013
you can fill the time in between by checking out his garrett pi books or his instrumentalities of the night series

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

FMguru posted:

warning: the first couple of seasons are kind of meh

cant possible be worse than next generation 1st season

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
wondering if i should bother watching terra nova knowing full well fox will cancel it after half a season

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i prob wouldnt watch it knowing full well it looks pretty bad

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sneaking Mission posted:

truth

it took a long time for the show to find its stride. the first several seasons resemble nothing so much as GUNSMOKE in space, with ds9 as the dodge city, and every week a stranger comes to town, and trouble ensues, and it all gets wrapped up in time for next week's adventure. lather, rinse, repeat. i think by the end of season two, one of the characters is actually working as a schoolteacher, because how can you have a space western without a pretty young schoolmarm?

eventually the suits and executives wandered off to mess with the newly-launched voyager, and ds9's writers were able to dig in to the characters and the setting in the way that they'd always wanted to, and some really excellent sf tv resulted.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sneaking Mission posted:

it sure didn't age well but at the time i thought it was fuckin awesome

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Trig Discipline posted:

it sure didn't age well but at the time i thought it was fuckin awesome

i just rewatched a couple of episodes from 2nd season, and they were better than i remembered them being, but i still wish dr. pulaski would fall down a turbolift shaft and die.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Bad rear end Boutique posted:

fifth element is dumb as poo poo in all the right ways

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i think i oversaturated on van vogt

yet again there's a super-smart scientist going down into a loving cave on the moon and i'm just sick of it, idgaf if he finds the germans or not

otoh, it was written in the 40's and it's chock full of stuff you couldn't write anymore like a magic pill women can take to become equivalent to a man

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

JawnV6 posted:

i think i oversaturated on van vogt

yet again there's a super-smart scientist going down into a loving cave on the moon and i'm just sick of it, idgaf if he finds the germans or not

otoh, it was written in the 40's and it's chock full of stuff you couldn't write anymore like a magic pill women can take to become equivalent to a man

nooooooooooooo don't start another loving gender politics debate i've had enough of that in literally every other subforum

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

nooooooooooooo don't start another loving gender politics debate i've had enough of that in literally every other subforum
when I was in college there was a sci-fi lit course so tons of people took it but like half the class was spent doing analysis of the professor's terrible novel about a planet with 7 genders and 11 sexes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we did the left hand of darkness in college (in general lit not sci-fi specifically) and it went pretty well

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh ok there's also a black servant that he refers to as "negress", go hog wild w/ that instead guys

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books are good cheesy ancient sci fi it's all "we're harnessing the power of seven kinds of RAYS :science:" and sword fighting four-armed dudes and it's hella racist but it's martian racism so you don't have to feel bad and if you get the right versions they have :krad: cover art

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

haveblue posted:

we did the left hand of darkness in college (in general lit not sci-fi specifically) and it went pretty well

Ursula Le Guin is pretty much the best at writing about gender and feminism in sci-fi. drat the Hainish cycle books are good!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Talk more about dune, I'm almost done book six and holy mother of god is it insane
~entire chapter about bene gesserit vaginal movements~
~50 thousand duncan idaho clones~
~A magical man who does matrix stuff and then dies, then gets cloned~

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SRQ posted:

Talk more about dune, I'm almost done book six and holy mother of god is it insane

The Miles Teg parts were pretty badass

Cylon Dinner Party
Dec 2, 2003

bored now.
Never read past the 1st Dune book. It always ends in tears.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SRQ posted:

stop after 6.

do not read any of the new *quels.

ever.

(i am not joking.)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"ultraspice! that's even better than normal spice! gently caress you, dad!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

and then in the last chapter new characters from the prequels show up magic away the bad guys, making absolutely everything that happened in books 4-6 meaningless.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Barsoom series, Pellucidar stuff, Skylark of Space series, all of these are awesome old scifi that you should totally read like right now (it's all on gutenberg because man gently caress copyrights)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

syfy tried to do a miniseries of the first couple Barsoom books and it was like hellabad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

syfy tried to do a miniseries of the first couple Barsoom books and it was like hellabad

i honestly do not understand how you could gently caress up the barsoom series, but, well, i'm sure syfy found a way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

i honestly do not understand how you could gently caress up the barsoom series, but, well, i'm sure syfy found a way

they made it look like "Mars" by basically going to the desert near LA then putting an orange color key over everything and using some poo poo that looked like leftover LotR ork costumes

it really should be the easiest thing to do, even the green dudes. there's this coming but it will definitely suck [but this is pretty funny]:

Willem Dafoe as Tars Tarkas, a Barsoomian warrior and ally of John Carter[15]
Thomas Haden Church as Tal Hajus, a vicious Thark warrior[16]

edit: jesus this has had a development nightmare journey

quote:

Producer James Jacks was reading Harry Knowles' autobiography, which lavished praise on the unfilmed John Carter of Mars series, and Jacks remembered he had read those novels as a child. He convinced Paramount Pictures to acquire the film rights, only to enter a bidding war with Columbia Pictures. After Paramount and Jacks won the rights, Jacks contacted Knowles to advise on the project and hired Mark Protosevich to write the script. In 2003, Robert Rodriguez signed on to direct after his friend Knowles gave him the script. Recognizing Knowles had always been an advisor to many filmmakers, Rodriguez asked him to officially be credited as a producer.[24]

Filming was set to begin in 2005, with Rodriguez planning to use the digital sets he was using on Sin City.[24] Rodriguez planned to have Frank Frazetta, a popular John Carter illustrator, serve as a designer on the film.[25] However, Rodriguez had created controversy over his decision to credit Frank Miller as co-director on the film adaptation of his comics, and chose to leave the Directors Guild of America. Unable to hire a non-DGA filmmaker, Paramount assigned Kerry Conran to direct and Ehren Kruger to rewrite the script in October 2004. The Australian Outback was scouted as a location. Conran left the film for unknown reasons, and was replaced by Jon Favreau in October 2005.[24]
If you want Harry Knowles' advice on anything but how to be a fat spergo neckbeard you've made a bad decision

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 26, 2011

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
syfy's business model for producing new content is to basically do things as cheaply as possible so that no matter how low their ratings are they'll still make money off the ad revenue.

oh also i remember hearing that if you're related to a syfy exec you've basically got a free ticket to do w/e. want to be a producer on a supershitball movie? you got it!

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

syfy's business model for producing new content is to basically do things as cheaply as possible so that no matter how low their ratings are they'll still make money off the ad revenue.

oh also i remember hearing that if you're related to a syfy exec you've basically got a free ticket to do w/e. want to be a producer on a supershitball movie? you got it!

is there a geneology website specifically dedicated to this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
none that i'm aware of. that fifteen minutes of internet fame could be yours, champ!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

i prob wouldnt watch it knowing full well it looks pretty bad

shaggar was right. drat.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i just finished Blake's 7. kinda went downhill those last two seasons, but overall it was fun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pram posted:

this is my favorite sci fi novel but i cant read it anymore because it gives me violent emotions

liked stand on zanzibar, want to read the shockwave rider

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hahaha they filmed it at the Kirk rock and Traci Lords is Dejah Thoris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnsuVpG_OZQ

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

hahaha they filmed it at the Kirk rock and Traci Lords is Deepah Throatis

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

qirex posted:

hahaha they filmed it at the Kirk rock and Traci Lords is Dejah Thoris

i've seen this. jane fonda fucks every guy she meets and then duran duran gets eaten by a lava lamp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

that awful man posted:

i've seen this. jane fonda fucks every guy she meets and then duran duran gets eaten by a lava lamp

but enough about the eighties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Jonny 290 posted:

but enough about the eighties

ummm, that's the sixties you're complaining about

• Locked thread