Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So the Book of the Guilty is pretty awesome. You can see full stat pages of the players, including all their equipment and spells. Pretty fun checking out the most infamous player's builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Tolain posted:

So I'm really on the wall about which version to pick up. I want to pick it up on 360, but am worried its community will be way smaller due to the lack of japenese players and existing fanbase. Any opinions on this? I have both consoles, 360 is just my system of choice.

Well if you are worried about the community size I don't see why you would get the 360 version over the PS3. Not to say that the community will be dead in the 360 version (far from it I'm sure) but you will not have any of the asia players or people without gold account.

I personally am going with the PS3 version but that is because I have an older 360 and that thing is pretty loud when I turn it on.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Ralconn posted:

Well if you are worried about the community size I don't see why you would get the 360 version over the PS3. Not to say that the community will be dead in the 360 version (far from it I'm sure) but you will not have any of the asia players or people without gold account.

Basically just because I like installing it to the hard drive, I like having my achievements on 360, and the 360 controller fits my hand better (though now I wonder if the bumpers might be a pain to use.) I play in off hours though, and I could see myself being annoyed if I have to wait to summon someone for a boss at 3am because few people are playing.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Tolain posted:

So I'm really on the wall about which version to pick up. I want to pick it up on 360, but am worried its community will be way smaller due to the lack of japenese players and existing fanbase. Any opinions on this? I have both consoles, 360 is just my system of choice.

If it's any consolation I'm getting this for 360 and I'm goddamn incredible.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If it's any consolation I'm getting this for 360 and I'm goddamn incredible.

I'm also a pretty rad dude and I'm planning on picking up the 360 version.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

As someone who is entirely new to the experience (I only played Demon Souls a little), would Pyromancer be a good start? :smith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

As someone who is entirely new to the experience (I only played Demon Souls a little), would Pyromancer be a good start? :smith:

It honestly, one hundred percent depends on what you want to play.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, Pyromancer's start at soul level one, giving you more soul points to spend on your character, but that's about as far as mechanical benefits go.

Fire spells will give you a nice source of damage at the off-set of the game, I suppose.

But really, it all comes down to what you want to start out playing as.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

It honestly, one hundred percent depends on what you want to play.

From a purely mechanical standpoint, Pyromancer's start at soul level one, giving you more soul points to spend on your character, but that's about as far as mechanical benefits go.

Fire spells will give you a nice source of damage at the off-set of the game, I suppose.

But really, it all comes down to what you want to start out playing as.

A two handed sword welding knight of death, but I suspect doing so would be suicide!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

A two handed sword welding knight of death, but I suspect doing so would be suicide!

Not necessarily, in Dark Souls they've given heavily armoured, two-handed playstyles significant boosts and buffs so that they're not as, well, insignificant as they were in Demons' Souls. I think if that's what you'd prefer to play you should probably start out as that.

You can always branch out as you develop your character. It's really, really easy to switch out what you're doing for other playstyles if you want to.

I can guarantee you'll die more as a result of playing a playstyle you don't feel comfortable with initially than from choosing one that's 'mechanically inferior' in these games. The trick to surviving isn't in choosing the best class off the bat, it's in choosing the best class for you.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
I liked the temple knight from Demon's Souls, so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a knight or a cleric in Dark Souls

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Brinstar Brew posted:

I liked the temple knight from Demon's Souls, so I'm trying to decide whether to go for a knight or a cleric in Dark Souls

Go knight, then get that miracle that lets you hurl lightning bolts at things.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Not necessarily, in Dark Souls they've given heavily armoured, two-handed playstyles significant boosts and buffs so that they're not as, well, insignificant as they were in Demons' Souls. I think if that's what you'd prefer to play you should probably start out as that.

You can always branch out as you develop your character. It's really, really easy to switch out what you're doing for other playstyles if you want to.

I can guarantee you'll die more as a result of playing a playstyle you don't feel comfortable with initially than from choosing one that's 'mechanically inferior' in these games. The trick to surviving isn't in choosing the best class off the bat, it's in choosing the best class for you.

Well, when i'm playing RPGs I either like to roll a 2-handed tank or a high dexterity duel-weilder. Not sure if Dark Souls has dual-weild. Basically I like to get in as much damage as possible before the enemy can respond. My primary choice would be dual, with secondary a 2-hand.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

qbert posted:

Well this is the email I just got from Amazon.

Probably not getting it today, but I guess I won't cancel. Hopefully this delay isn't too bad.

I got this email as well. I've never preordered anything before, anyone know if this is standard or not? I'm thinking about cancelling the preorder and just picking it up from walmart on the way home, though I would lose out on my sweet CE metal case if I did.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WMain00 posted:

Well, when i'm playing RPGs I either like to roll a 2-handed tank or a high dexterity duel-weilder. Not sure if Dark Souls has dual-weild. Basically I like to get in as much damage as possible before the enemy can respond. My primary choice would be dual, with secondary a 2-hand.

You could dual wield 2 weapons in Demon's but I don't think it was ever actually a good idea. I beat Flamelurker while dual wielding halberds once for the hell of it, but I would have been a lot better off just 2-handing one of the halberds.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

DotyManX posted:

I got this email as well. I've never preordered anything before, anyone know if this is standard or not? I'm thinking about cancelling the preorder and just picking it up from walmart on the way home, though I would lose out on my sweet CE metal case if I did.

I opened a help chat about it a bit ago and the woman helping me said that internally the orders that got this e-mail are "back-logged" so, don't hold me to it, but it sounds like it's worth cancelling over. I cancelled my order but had to do it through said help desk, as the cancel-order system was taking a poo poo.

As much as I'd have liked the CE, I'd rather just have the game.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Is the weapon upgrade system the same as in Demon Souls?
It annoyed me that you had to use charts outside of the game to plan the branching upgrades. It was insane that if you took a weapon to +4 you could no longer upgrade it along a certain path, as you had to do a specific thing when it was +3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Gotta stop reading the thread..3 more days :ohdear: I really hope shopto ship it early so I get it before Friday :smith:

Shopto are really good about early shipping. I just got a mail saying my copy is on the way :woop:

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
To people that have already played a lot or watched a lot of streams, I have a question to ask. I remember hearing that if you beat the tutorial boss in the a certain way you got a special weapon, what exactly is this weapon and how do you get it?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

UserMan posted:

To people that have already played a lot or watched a lot of streams, I have a question to ask. I remember hearing that if you beat the tutorial boss in the a certain way you got a special weapon, what exactly is this weapon and how do you get it?

According to a video on gametrailers it's by beating it with no weapons.

Edit: You seem to be allowed to use thrown consumables(i.e. black firebombs, you can choose them as your gift), and it rewards you with a hammer

Edit2: According to another source you just have to beat it the first time you encounter it, the gametrailers video description is misleading.

lohli fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 4, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

UserMan posted:

It's a huge club that takes 46 strength to wield (31 2-handed). You get it by killing the boss the first time you run into it before getting your weapon/shield/catalyst. If you want to kill it it's probably a lot easier if you take the firebomb gift.

On a related note:

Other bosses have weapons you can get from fighting them in certain ways, and some bosses have random drops.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

UserMan posted:

Alternative ways:

1) Trade an item to the crow for the weapon

2) Rare drop from normal enemies near the end-game.

fromagex
Oct 11, 2006
Anyone else notice the guide on Amazon went from coming out this week to "we'll email when we have a delivery date for this item?" No release date now on it's main page, either.

Also, I got a shipping soon thing immediately after I got the email too. Charged my bank account so I hope the actual shipment "within the next business day" actually happens.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WMain00 posted:

You can dual-wield, it's not perfect, but it does work.

Primarily though it's a means to have a melee weapona and a casting function (pyromancer hand, talisman, catalyst, staff) at the same time, but you can dual wield melee weapons if that's your choice.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Goddammit amazon the one time I really care about getting a game delivered on release day :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mine says it hasn't shipped and I haven't gotten any sort of email notification, yet it still says the estimated delivery is today. Figures the first time I use Amazon in months something like this happens. :psyduck:

e: For some actual content: I skimmed a few things about the covenants and one of them said they were "hidden". without too big of a spoiler, are these hidden ones hard to find/unlock? Or I should say, are there clues and such to finding them or does it just come down to checking the right place by coincidence.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 4, 2011

Systems_Id
Feb 16, 2005

LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK! LEFT CHEEK!

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Goddammit amazon the one time I really care about getting a game delivered on release day :negative:
Sup 'Not getting Dark Souls today' buddy.:(

I'm in the same boat here; Amazon still hasn't shipped my order.:smith:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

So I'm also in the "preordered from Amazon" boat, but I have the money to just go get the thing from wal-mart anyway. I tried cancelling the Amazon order, but it told me that they couldn't do it... >:|

I'm considering just going and buying it from wal-mart anyway and then dang returning the amazon copy or something, this is bullshit

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Hakkesshu posted:

Shopto are really good about early shipping. I just got a mail saying my copy is on the way :woop:

I only preordered relatively recently so I'm probably pretty far down in the queue. If I get it Thursday i'll be a happy bunny!

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

Systems_Id posted:

Sup 'Not getting Dark Souls today' buddy.:(

I'm in the same boat here; Amazon still hasn't shipped my order.:smith:

I spoke to a cheerful Amazon Rep named Brandi, and Brandi claims that I should still receive it today. I will just keep an eye on it, and if there are no updates when I leave work this afternoon I'll cancel and pick it up on the way home.

Either way when I sit down with the game tonight it will be with one of these:

It's appropriately Dark Souls, not only in name, but because if you are able to endure the sensation of being orally raped by a bottle of liquid smoke than you can enjoy the experience of having drank a beer.

DotyManX fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 4, 2011

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
360 user here! I picked up my copy at midnight at Gamestop and got the awesome Collector's Edition. The game is packaged in this awesome tin case with the game inside, the art book, and a code for the other stuff.

I have about 2 hours experience with a Pyromancer. The game is fun, easy in the beginning (which changes as soon as you get into the Undead Burg), and the controls are actually easy to handle. Using LB/RB isn't as bad as I thought it would be. There was a little slowdown in the first area but that immediately went away if you looked in a different direction. My game did hang for about 5 seconds where the screen froze but the sound kept going in the Burg.

Overall, I cannot wait to turn on my 360 again. This game is fun as hell.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Are there any downloads put in with the game? A voucher card or anything?

Yeah, mine has a card that lets me download a digital copy of the soundtrack and guide book (it also came with physical copy of the soundtrack).

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

boxcarhobo posted:

So I'm also in the "preordered from Amazon" boat, but I have the money to just go get the thing from wal-mart anyway. I tried cancelling the Amazon order, but it told me that they couldn't do it... >:|

I'm considering just going and buying it from wal-mart anyway and then dang returning the amazon copy or something, this is bullshit

:siren: If your order says "shipping soon", go to the live help service and ask for a cancellation there. :siren: Obviously only if you want to cancel it to go to a store today.

I had it done from that same position and they immediately cancelled it when I asked, took five minutes. Amazon's live help tends to be actually very helpful and a pleasant process, outside of the initial "please wait" while they research your details.

Blarfo fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 4, 2011

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

DotyManX posted:

It's appropriately Dark Souls, not only in name, but because if you are able to endure the sensation of being orally raped by a bottle of liquid smoke than you can enjoy the experience of having drank a beer.

Not to crap the thread with beer talk, but if I were to drink on this game (either a terrible idea or a brilliant idea), I would go for Stone's Double Bastard Ale. Touted by the brewers themselves as a masochist's drink; this beer is immediate-headache inducing and ultimately
wonderful. Sound familiar?

Anyways, I skipped the midnight release after agreeing to go to Gamestop today with a friend to pick it up. Last night was a very long, sleepless night with "Bartholemew" and "All Saints Day" playing non-stop in my head. With any luck I'll be playing Dark Souls in the next few hours, however.

I seriously spoiled the game for myself. I watched a ton of streams, have seen huge amounts of the game from the tutorial to the ending. I don't regret this (yet). Being surprised was not what made Demon's Souls my favorite game of this generation; and it's not what's going to make Dark Souls even better (hopefully). I know for a lot of you this isn't the case--spoiling the game would ruin a lot of the joy, but I feel like seeing this content and actually playing it are going to be two very different experiences. The only downside was every bit of Dark Souls footage I've watched has made me want the game more, for every bit of footage assured me that this game will be awesome and I will love every minute of it. Ugh.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
DARK TUESDAY IS UPON US, my brothers!

Rejoice! (followed immediately by dread.)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Trynant posted:

I will love every minute of it. Ugh.

Hahaha. No. No you wont :)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Feenix posted:

DARK TUESDAY IS UPON US, my brothers!

Rejoice! (followed immediately by dread.)

Yeah I'm ready to be scared out of my mind (I don't like dying :ohdear:)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

fromagex posted:

Anyone else notice the guide on Amazon went from coming out this week to "we'll email when we have a delivery date for this item?" No release date now on it's main page, either.

Yeah, what the hell, I got the same thing.

I need a guide for dis game :cry:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Amazon got me, too. Note to self: no more taking free CE upgrades. I didn't even really care about the CE, just got it because it was free. Canceled the order and I'll just pick it up from the store after work. Nothing will stop me from dying a bunch tonight.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Blarfo posted:

:siren: If your order says "shipping soon", go to the live help service and ask for a cancellation there. :siren:

Yeah, the guy was super helpful. He said I *SHOULD* still receive it today, and if I don't to contact them again and they'll give me a $10 credit for the delay. This is cool, so I'll wait. If I do have to wait until tomorrow, that means I'll get Forza 4 for :10bux: off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
I am loving the hell out of this game, but it hates me so much and that is the way I like it. I really enjoy the feeling of killing a huge enemy thinking "Ok there is only one of those right?" then walking over a hill to see 3 more.
I just got to theMoonlight Butterfly and it is kicking my rear end so hard. Is anyone else having trouble with it?
In this game I know you can call for other to help you, but I just don't feel good about it. I feel like I would be cheating myself a bit. That being said, I cannot wait to invade people. I never got to do it in Demon's Souls.

• Locked thread