Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

My god, this game...Anor Londo is such a brutal level. Fighting that many silver knights in a row and trying to navigate such a huge place is ridiculously hard. I will continue my attempt tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

!amicable posted:

I just beat the rest of the Burg. There is nothing else left as far as I can tell and I managed all the other knights with not much trouble. I don't even care what he drops, I just want him dead!

Where are you intended to go after the gargoyle, down the elevator under the firekeeper?

There was a locked door right before the dragon bridge. You should've found the key to unlock it and it'll lead you down to the next area.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I just punched myself in the arm, repeatedly, in frustration. Fucka capra demon. I'm done. I'll try again when I don't feel like poo poo. Almost wanted to kick the 360 off. I didn't even quit, gently caress that save. Don't even care if it gets corrupted.

Loofa08
Apr 17, 2008

Tokubetsu posted:

I just punched myself in the arm, repeatedly, in frustration. Fucka capra demon. I'm done. I'll try again when I don't feel like poo poo. Almost wanted to kick the 360 off. I didn't even quit, gently caress that save. Don't even care if it gets corrupted.

Ooooh, you might not like this game very much... Anyway, I've found just about every single boss in this game is totally broken when you bring in 1 or 2 people with you. Try getting people in with you and you will beat him no sweat.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Question: Are there any doors that can be opened by the Master Key that can't be opened by a key found somewhere else in the game? I would assume no, but this game is weird like that.

Nope, everything has its own key, the master key just lets you sequence break. For example, as soon as you start the game you can take the elevator to new londo ruins, then take the shortcut to the valley of the drakes, and grab the holy sword that the zombie dragon is sitting on, or head down into the forest basin before you even kill the bull demon.

Although you're wrong about it being the only thing you can't pick up somewhere else, the pendant isn't found in the game either. If you want both, just make a thief with the pendant as a gift.

EDIT: The Capra demon fight is one of those few instances that rewards being a heavily-armored tanked up dude instead of a nimble light-armored quick-rolling jerk. With all the quick light attacks coming in at the start of the fight you're just asking to get stun-locked.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 7, 2011

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Loofa08 posted:

Ooooh, you might not like this game very much... Anyway, I've found just about every single boss in this game is totally broken when you bring in 1 or 2 people with you. Try getting people in with you and you will beat him no sweat.

I've had no problems thus this fight is just...bullshit. Even black knights are more manageable. I'll try to summon someone.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
1. Is there a list anywhere of what you can turn the boss souls into?

2. Where are people finding all these cool crafting charts and such. Dark Souls Wiki is still lacking a lot of info.

3. What steps do I have to take to ensure I get into the darkwraith covenant? I know I have to beat a certain boss earlier than normal. Right now I'm in the depths. How will I know when I have to do what I have to do?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 7, 2011

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Tokubetsu posted:

Climb the stairs. Kill the dogs. Hug the wall and go to the right. If he tries to attack you he should fall. Plunge attack. Repeat.

So, what's the quickest way out of Blight Town? I'm assuming it's [spoiler] up the water wheel and not over by the most evil stone throwers in the world.[spoiler] Special shout out to the douchebag who left me to get ganked by them while he did glorious battle with a fly.

fake edit: Got to the Valley of Drakes or w/e. Haha, obviously those really good items are trapped. Haha, I really want them. Haha, back in Blight Town.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006
Woohoo! Euroland dying has begun! The game arrived at 8:30 this morning, yay!

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Does anyone know if you have to be in human form for the forest hunter ring to call you to battle? The Cat Covenant Ring, that is. I've been wearing it for a while and never get called.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Blarfo posted:

Does anyone know if you have to be in human form for the forest hunter ring to call you to battle? The Cat Covenant Ring, that is. I've been wearing it for a while and never get called.

You don't. The guy who was streaming awhile back was getting summoned between hollowed attempts at a boss in the area.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Finally Dildo Knight has been laid to rest.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Sumadartson posted:

Here's the beginning-of-the-game thing you should do the moment you make it out of the tutorial (Make sure to get the Master Key):

Immediately run to the graveyard, you'll know it when you see it, and avoid all the enemies. Just pick up every single glowing object along the way, you'll know what you were supposed to grab as notable loot because you'll recognize the name. :3: After that, take the stairway leading down around the outside of the bonfire, hop in the elevator, wander around until you find that you can open a gate, you should end up in an area titled as a Valley. Cross the plank, sprint down towards the giant corpse you see, grab the two items QUICKLY then stand perfectly still. Just don't move at all, stay right there, honest!

After that you should be pretty well prepared to start the game. If you want to repair your equipment, but don't want to fork over the 3000 souls to buy the kit from the first merchant you find, take the elevator down to Londo and peek around the right hand side edge to find a friendly blacksmith behind bars. He doesn't actually sell weapons, though. He sells a catalyst and two kickass spells, but they're pricey.

This really is the Cheeser's Guide to Dark Souls, but this game may as well be cheesing you half the time so metagame the poo poo out of it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've yet to run into issues with being too far from a smith that would have required me to repair my own poo poo. If you can hold on the blacksmith sells the kit for 2k instead of 3k though, I think.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Well today was interesting. My level 23 guy amassed 8000+ souls in the Depths and I was about to warp to my bonfire when I got blindsided by my first invasion and died in seconds. My attempt to recover said souls ended in failure and I got cursed to boot. I explored the world for a bit and eventually discover the Rare Ring of Sacrifice. I thought it broke curses when you died, but apparently it doesn't. :sigh:

I ran into the Gaping Dragon and found him surprisingly manageable despite being cursed; it only took a few tries to take him down. Thanks to the souls from the kill I'm no longer cursed and am ready to start upgrading poo poo. God this game's awesome.

Fake edit: Also my first and only invasion of someone else's world ended when I spawned directly between my target and the NPC phantom. Goddamnit.

U-DO Burger fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 7, 2011

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Spoiler question for after the first bell:

OK so I rang the first bell and apparently some people are supposed to show up in Firelink Shrine? Some more White Covenant folks? Nobody's there, just the dude by the bonfire and the miracle-selling guy. Lautrec was here but I killed him. Is there something else I have to do for these people to show up? I haven't killed the Capra Demon yet.

Also, looking through the guide I can't seem to find any easy-cheesy way to get any type of magic/divine/lightning weapon early on, like a proper weapon you can upgrade. In DeS I was able to get a Moon weapon made relatively early and start upgrading it but here it looks like you have to progress through the game a decent amount to get embers, etc. before you can do any of that. Anyone found any sneaky way to get anything like that? I have the Master Key if it helps.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The Titanite Demon/headless stone statue is kicking my rear end. It says his attacks are highly telegraphed, but this guy is twice as fast as the Taurus and i'm wielding heavy armor, so i'm getting slammed. Pelting him with arrows seems like it'll take at least 15 minutes to kill him.

What am i doing wrong?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
^^^^ The trick is to stay between his good leg and his tail right up against him. As he rotates to hit you, you'll move with him staying in that little nook created by his tail and leg. At least that's what worked for me. You'll only have to move if he jumps.

So I've got my endurance to 37. I can use a good shield, 6 weight weapon, along with all my leather, a bow and pyro fire and still have the fastest roll available.

I'm ready to get rid of this drat Drake Sword, but want to move towards some sort of a fast katana build. Has anyone found a good one yet? All I've come across is the Iaito.

Edit: I've rang the second bell.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 7, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

The Titanite Demon/headless stone statue is kicking my rear end. It says his attacks are highly telegraphed, but this guy is twice as fast as the Taurus and i'm wielding heavy armor, so i'm getting slammed. Pelting him with arrows seems like it'll take at least 15 minutes to kill him.

What am i doing wrong?

You need enough END to withstand his first and second swing. Stay close and circle to your right. When he hops up you may untarget him, so watch for that and retarget him.

e: Anyone know how many souls Large Soul of a Lost Undead and Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier give?

!amicable fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 7, 2011

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Ramsus posted:

I'm ready to get rid of this drat Drake Sword, but want to move towards some sort of a fast katana build. Has anyone found a good one yet? All I've come across is the Iaito.

The uchigatana is in the game. There's only two ways to get it, and they're both kind of weird. One is to kill the undead merchant in the burg, he drops one. He's the only merchant who sells basic arrows and bolts so make sure you don't need any of those if you choose this path. The other is multistep. First you have to join the forest covenant. After you've joined it, a bit outside the house with the cat that you join through will be a new dude called Shiva of the East. Talk to him a couple times, then go to the swamp in Blighttown. He will have relocated there and becomes a merchant, and sells uchigatanas for 5000 souls each as well as a couple other things. I think he leaves if you leave the forest covenant but I'm not 100% sure on that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

!amicable posted:

You need enough END to withstand his first and second swing. Stay close and circle to your right. When he hops up you may untarget him, so watch for that and retarget him.

e: Anyone know how many souls Large Soul of a Lost Undead and Large Soul of a Nameless Soldier give?

400 and 1000, iirc.

Also, what? I circled left and did fine. He seemed to turn left better. It's risky because he swings from the left, yeah, but I had better luck staying 'in the pocket' on his left then on his right.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 7, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man I just rang the second bell and the game just became about 5x bigger and hosed up. Anyone else find the secret zone with the black curse frogs? Fighting them while wtaching your tiny curse bar creep up is seriously unnerving.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also, I just discovered something about the item you get from the boss of the parish: The gargoyle tail axe you get for chopping of one of their tails during the fight is one of the few *weapons* that gives you resists to poison and bleeding. It is also one of the *very* few items to give you increased toxin resistance, it is actually a great candidate to upgrade early. If it is like the battle axe, it'll also scatter the skeletons in the firelink graveyard and beyond too. I believe the gargoyle tail halberd and the gargoyle helmet also may have toxin resist

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Alright, I feel like I'm at some sort of crossroads and I don't know where exactly to turn:

In the Undead Parish I beat the metal boar and got entrance to the Parish proper. Killing cape guys, no problem. Got the Drake Sword. Now, I run into this big fucker with a giant shield who is patrolling the area, Havel I think? He seems unbeatable at this point. There's a white fog door I can't go through and there's the main church building, which has some sorcerers upstairs and Havel in the main area. I ran through there and managed to get out with the Flame Guardian's soul or whatever, which means I can get my flask enhanced--should I take that as a hint to go back to Firelink or is there a path forward into the Parish I can take that doesn't involve fighting Havel?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Sumadartson posted:

I chose supersaver delivery like some kind of poo poo, so i won't be getting it til next week at the earliest, and on top of that i sent it to my old address. I'm only hoping that small packages are covered on my redirection service otherwise i've gotta find some way to get to a village with no loving bus service to get a hold of this game.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Odd thing happened to me today...

I finally beat the Gargoyles, rang the Bell, headed down to the Lower Burg and killed the Capra Demon (first try!)... then, I was about to cross the Dragon's bridge and as soon as I saw him, he instantly died and I got 10,000 souls :psyduck:

I guess it was a glitch, can't really complain though. Gave me enough of a boost to grind until I could afford the Crest of Artorias.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Got my first forest hunter kill followed immediately by my first indictment.Dude chugged his flask 5 times and still ate it. :getin:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

Alright, I feel like I'm at some sort of crossroads and I don't know where exactly to turn:

In the Undead Parish I beat the metal boar and got entrance to the Parish proper. Killing cape guys, no problem. Got the Drake Sword. Now, I run into this big fucker with a giant shield who is patrolling the area, Havel I think? He seems unbeatable at this point. There's a white fog door I can't go through and there's the main church building, which has some sorcerers upstairs and Havel in the main area. I ran through there and managed to get out with the Flame Guardian's soul or whatever, which means I can get my flask enhanced--should I take that as a hint to go back to Firelink or is there a path forward into the Parish I can take that doesn't involve fighting Havel?

What's your soul level and gear like?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Man I tried to phantom for the Gargoyles AND the Gaping Dragon and I didnt get summoned even once. I sat there for like 20 minutes. I think I was around level 25 for the second, so its not like I out levelled the thing?

I just want some easy humanity/souls :saddowns:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hatter106 posted:

Odd thing happened to me today...

I finally beat the Gargoyles, rang the Bell, headed down to the Lower Burg and killed the Capra Demon (first try!)... then, I was about to cross the Dragon's bridge and as soon as I saw him, he instantly died and I got 10,000 souls :psyduck:

I guess it was a glitch, can't really complain though. Gave me enough of a boost to grind until I could afford the Crest of Artorias.

This has been reported a few times, so I guess it's An Actual Thing.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

If it's a knight at the top of the tower you can skip him. Literally every knight is skippable as far as I know.

Havel is a big fat knight with a giant black dildo-esque sword. He is at the bottom of the tower that you climb to fight the Taurus demon.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
So where is everyones favorite place to get a few Titanite Chunks?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Also, I was in the forest and a crystal lizard crawled away from me and burrowed. Is he gone for good? :[

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Kweh posted:

So where is everyones favorite place to get a few Titanite Chunks?

By embracing the capitalistic nature of the soul trade and costcoing out on that blacksmith.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CrunchyTaco posted:

By embracing the capitalistic nature of the soul trade and costcoing out on that blacksmith.

What blacksmith actually sells Chunks?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

EU release date today, that i'm pretty loving excited for. Me and my friend actually cancelled our online pre-orders in order to get up at 8 today and go into town to buy copies just in case we didn't get them.

I however worked last night until 4:30am and didn't sleep when I got back, so i'm fully intending to go into this game the way From Software intended - tired, cold, hungry and hallucinating. One thing I was wondering, if i'm using Dex as my main stat can I still get some decent swords or is it all spears? I don't really like them but I am all about cool swords.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What blacksmith actually sells Chunks?

The guy in Undead Parish.

e: nevermind those are shards.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's your soul level and gear like?

I'm SL17 or 18, I have Balder's Armor, the Drake Sword, a Hollowed Shield, and otherwise starting Warrior gear. I got a bow and some arrows and a Talisman, though I haven't purchased any Miracles or anything. I've been focusing heavily on Strength and Dexterity, they are both at 16 right now. Vit and Endurance are second closest.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Also, I was in the forest and a crystal lizard crawled away from me and burrowed. Is he gone for good? :[

He will come back, sit at a bonfire. Took me a few tries to get him before he escaped due to targetting issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Thievery posted:

EU release date today, that i'm pretty loving excited for. Me and my friend actually cancelled our online pre-orders in order to get up at 8 today and go into town to buy copies just in case we didn't get them.

I however worked last night until 4:30am and didn't sleep when I got back, so i'm fully intending to go into this game the way From Software intended - tired, cold, hungry and hallucinating. One thing I was wondering, if i'm using Dex as my main stat can I still get some decent swords or is it all spears? I don't really like them but I am all about cool swords.

Sure but swords are mainly buffed by Str with small bonuses from Dex. Also without enough points in Str you may be 2handing them instead of one handing.

I don't know about any special swords further down the line though. I think asian swords and curved swords are more dex based though.

• Locked thread