Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A while ago, I sent the Pyromancer trainer to the Chaos Servant covenant. I have an update he went hollow and attacked me in the swamp while I was farming ore from the slugs and I was forced to kill him. I really did send him to his death. :(

Head straight forward from the bonfire and you may run into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

evilalien posted:

I just got this ring and as far as I can tell, you flip at the same speed at any weight under 50% max equip weight. Above that and you are back to the terrible roll.

Thanks for the test. Ladies and Gentelmen may I present you Thief Ring 2.0.

They should have had four flip speeds too :/

Anybody know when I can farm a falchion?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Where the hell is the pyromancer trainer? I just made a new character, how long til I get to him?

Pretty sure he's freed from the Depths (so 3 major bosses away)

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
So I just smoked Pinwheel. I'm a little disappointed they'd leave something that easy to defeat in the game, but then, I think it's balanced out by stuff like the Capra Demon and the Gargoyles. I'm a little afraid to head any further in that level, because I'm lacking a weapon that lets me fight the enemies there efficiently, and even though I've powered through, I don't want to face what's up ahead without some better equipment than my trusty +5 Halberd. So where should I go now? With as few spoilers as possible, could I get a nudge in a better direction?

serling
Aug 25, 2005

I'm stuck towards the end of the game.

I've collected the souls from Nito, Seath and the Bed of Chaos. Now what?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

darkhand posted:

Pretty sure he's freed from the Depths (after Parish)

It's loving ridiculous I have to spend the first hour of the game with one spell. Jesus.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

darkhand posted:

Pretty sure he's freed from the Depths (after the Parish, so 3 major bosses away)

And hes stuck inside a barrel you need to free him from. I hit the barrel and it did damage to him and I had to murder him. Hope I don't need pyromancy on this character :)

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

What's the best way to get rid of curse if I'm stuck at the bonfire in the Depths?

I'm not sure what the easiest way out is, and the gaping dragon boss keeps one-shotting me after I do pretty well whittling him down.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

serling posted:

I'm stuck towards the end of the game.

I've collected the souls from Nito, Seath and the Bed of Chaos. Now what?

Did you go and put them in the Lordvessel?

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

FisheyStix posted:

So I just smoked Pinwheel. I'm a little disappointed they'd leave something that easy to defeat in the game, but then, I think it's balanced out by stuff like the Capra Demon and the Gargoyles. I'm a little afraid to head any further in that level, because I'm lacking a weapon that lets me fight the enemies there efficiently, and even though I've powered through, I don't want to face what's up ahead without some better equipment than my trusty +5 Halberd. So where should I go now? With as few spoilers as possible, could I get a nudge in a better direction?

If you haven't taken care of the Depths and the place that the key you get from finishing the boss of that area leads to, that is your other direction.

Also, as a sidenote, do NOT try to muscle through the area past Pinwheel unless you have some serious skill or weaponry. I accidentally tried to rush through it and got trapped for 40 minutes trying to find my way out while getting one-shot by those monstrous... things.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Phoix posted:

Did you go and put them in the Lordvessel?

Sure did.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It's loving ridiculous I have to spend the first hour of the game with one spell. Jesus.

Uhh you don't. You could learn miracles or sorcery too.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I appear to be missing something in Sen Fortress.

I found my way up to the steel ring and got the shotel, but I don't see anyplace else to go. There is some nonresponsive snake-dude in the room before the boulder, but I didn't want to kill him in case he was important. What am I missing?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
So am I gimping myself a lot by keeping my equipment under 25% of my total allotted weight? I enjoy the fast flip and it seems like if I go over 25% I struggle to get back up a little faster. I feel like I am gimping my character by dumping all my points into endurance.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

serling posted:

Sure did.

You need to go to the Abyss.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Volitaire posted:

You need to go to the Abyss.

Yeah, that's what I've speculated. Thanks for confirming it though, I'll keep trying. :)

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

dongsweep posted:

So am I gimping myself a lot by keeping my equipment under 25% of my total allotted weight? I enjoy the fast flip and it seems like if I go over 25% I struggle to get back up a little faster. I feel like I am gimping my character by dumping all my points into endurance.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats how it works. I did pretty well with <50% endurance for awhile, but then I put on Havel's Ring and made sure to keep it under 25% and I think it's a little better.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
I think my game might be broken. I went down the hollow tree after blighttown and there seems to be no way to get back up. I reach a place right after the curse frogs where the path meets a slightly higher path and I walk into a invisible wall or something. I can't roll onto it and I died trying to jump it so I have to go through the loving frogs again. Anyway, has anyone successfully climbed back up after hollowed tree. Am I just missing something? I didn't see any place to jump to either

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I think I was invaded, not sure if it was a PC or the game doing it though. Some spiky red dude showed up in the sewers, I kicked his rear end without getting hit, and he dropped a humanity and a barbed sword thing. Not quite sure what that was all about.

Also, the Gaping Dragon from the trailers is actually much easier than I thought. I did it with another player, but he seems to just constantly flatten himself onto the ground and let you attack him without recourse.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

So I think I was invaded, not sure if it was a PC or the game doing it though. Some spiky red dude showed up in the sewers, I kicked his rear end without getting hit, and he dropped a humanity and a barbed sword thing. Not quite sure what that was all about.

Also, the Gaping Dragon from the trailers is actually much easier than I thought. I did it with another player, but he seems to just constantly flatten himself onto the ground and let you attack him without recourse.

It's an NPC invasion. Kirk there invades in a few places, if you kill him a bunch you can get his armor. There's another one I found between the bonfire and Quelaag at the base of Blighttown.

You have to be in human form for them to show up.

About the gaping dragon, I don't even know if it really hurts but I still do the OH poo poo thing every time he decides to vomit all over the entire loving room, as I desperately run from it.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dirty Job posted:

I watched a video of a guy doing it. It seemed a little disappointing considering it's like the first OH-poo poo-HUGE boss you fight.

edit: lmao DaS has warped my perception of "disappointing" when a boss doesn't kill you in ridiculously unfair ways.:getin:

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 7, 2011

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Alright, that makes a bit more sense then.

Also, I upgraded my winged spear to "raw". It seems to do a bit more damage and some of the...uhh....damage types? changed letters. Anyone have a clear definition for what "raw" means?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Blarfo posted:

It's an NPC invasion. Kirk there invades in a few places, if you kill him a bunch you can get his armor. There's another one I found between the bonfire and Quelaag at the base of Blighttown.

You have to be in human form for them to show up.

About the gaping dragon, I don't even know if it really hurts but I still do the OH poo poo thing every time he decides to vomit all over the entire loving room, as I desperately run from it.

The yellow cloud supposedly breaks your armor(?) if you get hit by it.

Dirty Job posted:

Alright, that makes a bit more sense then.

Also, I upgraded my winged spear to "raw". It seems to do a bit more damage and some of the...uhh....damage types? changed letters. Anyone have a clear definition for what "raw" means?
Raw trades bonus damage for regular damage. So if you just want to use the weapon but not necessarily build your stats around it.

What I mean is you get more base damage but less bonus damage. Sometimes it's worth it, and sometimes it's not depending on where your stats go.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 7, 2011

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I had no problem getting through Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls makes me feel like an awful player. I killed the Gaping Dragon at soul level 12 with 12 strength. I can't even hang onto my souls for long enough to level up, let alone any humanity.

Then I got to Blighttown, which has plenty of bonfires, and actually started gaining levels! I managed to get to Ceaseless Discharge without too much trouble and was treated to the easiest boss fight ever, until I hosed it up. I looted the corpse in the back of the room and he didn't attack until then. Then he just kept repeating the same easily baited smash attack, which left him open for attack. I got careless when he was about to die and got killed instead. Now hes aggressive as soon as I enter and he gets close to use his smash attack, which is much larger and harder to dodge. Considering how much health he has, I'm feeling awfully stupid for giving up such an easy kill.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
just lost 30k souls. thanks ceaseless discharge!!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

waspinator posted:

Hey I came here just to post this! I have a feeling I should go back up to the fort I just opened instead. Is there a shortcut back to the surface after I get the second bell?

so I don't know why, but I just joined the chaos servant covenant and now theres a drat egg on my head. I regret everything, what do I do? Also I slayed her doorkeeper, is that bad?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Am I just terrible or is there some trick in the Demon Ruins to get that item on the ledge at the edge of the lava? I keep trying to dash across at different angles and I keep sliding back down into the lava and dying.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

waspinator posted:

It's ok, I just lost 22 humanity. You'll get it back just like I will.

J
Jun 10, 2001

dongsweep posted:

You're absolutely not gimping yourself by putting tons of points into endurance. It's probably the most useful overall stat since stamina is so important. Someone earlier put it better than I did - your stamina bar is offense (more swings), defense (blocking without getting guard broken), and evasion (more rolling) all in one stat. The extra equip burden is gravy on top.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Finally wrecked Capra Demon's poo poo. I did have to cheese it a little, but I don't feel bad about it.

The way I ended up doing it was soak the first hit after I entered with the shield, dash up the stairs and to the right and take out the dogs. After that I dropped down and fought him like a normal enemy until I ran out of stamina/almost ran out of life, then I ran back up and used flask. I also found a sweet spot where he couldn't hit me but I could hit him with my halberd. It's when he's part of the ways up the stairs and you're to the right. Didn't always work though.

I could probably have taken him the "normal" way once his dogs were dead, but gently caress that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't tell whether the fact that there are enemies that piercing weapons will just miss their hitboxes entirely is a bug or intentional. With From, you never really know.

In fact, is there anything at all that piercing weapons are better at? Is there any enemy weak to piercing weapons? There are plenty of enemies that resist them, and them only it seems.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 7, 2011

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
After many attempts that gargoyles are vanquished! :woop:

If nothing else, this game makes me feel like a badass after encounters like those.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goddammit, I was great at Demon's Souls, but now I feel like a loving limpdick. No matter where I try and go, I get treated to enemies that take at least three loving backstabs to kill, and I just got to the 'real' part of the game.

What in the gently caress? This is awesome, but drat it, I have no idea where I'm supposed to go.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Okay how do I get back onto the surface from Queelog's Domain?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Revitalized posted:

Okay how do I get back onto the surface from Queelog's Domain?
A long, painful way, about halfway up the catwalks in blight town through fire breathing dogs and poison dart guys, and finally out through the valley of dragons. It's brutal.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Is their any way to keep that drat gate behind the boar open?

J posted:

You're absolutely not gimping yourself by putting tons of points into endurance. It's probably the most useful overall stat since stamina is so important. Someone earlier put it better than I did - your stamina bar is offense (more swings), defense (blocking without getting guard broken), and evasion (more rolling) all in one stat. The extra equip burden is gravy on top.

Thanks, I never thought of it that way, I will continue to dump points into it until I can get my armor back on at <25%!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

A long, painful way, about halfway up the catwalks in blight town through fire breathing dogs and poison dart guys, and finally out through the valley of dragons. It's brutal.

:suicide:

That goddamn maze? So I have to exactly retrace my steps, and then find the entrance linking to the valley of dragons? At least I killed all the blowdart guys... I think

Man I wish I could like teleport. I really don't want to come back down to the demon ruins on foot later.

Welp, Dark Souls. Also I guess I'll keep this egg on my head. I still don't know what it's suppose to do except force me without a helmet. This covenant sucks.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008
Is there a bonfire anywhere in Sen's Fortress?

I'm outside the boss room now and I have no flask charges.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Revitalized posted:

:suicide:

That goddamn maze? So I have to exactly retrace my steps, and then find the entrance linking to the valley of dragons? At least I killed all the blowdart guys... I think
. No, not that far. You'll take a waterwheel looking thing up, then go across a log and drop onto a concrete water sluice thing, fight dogs and dart guys, then escape out a tunnel you probably haven't seen before. It's nowhere near as far as going all the way back out the way you came, but it's still brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
This is pretty amazing, if you pay 20k for the key to go behind the glowy door in the forest, a bunch of other players are waiting there to kill you at all times. Even if you aren't in human form, they're still there! It's awesome, but I am getting a bit annoyed trying to run past 5 people to see what's on the other side of this door.

Edit: ok that time there were seven of them! This is a bit lopsided haha

• Locked thread