Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numbers
Jul 13, 2000
drat the tomb of the giants is a horrible place. drat, beast skeleton things whose attacks can't be blocked (at 29 stamina) and there is no room to roll most of the time. I get all the way to the bottom of that shithole from trial and error running deaths and walk up to an orange door and it says something about the door being blocked by power. So now I have to climb all the way back up because I also found the bonfire at the bottom before I got to the blocked door.

It really did feel like I just went on a adventure went I got back up to the surface though. drat what a game.

Long story short: Don't go there until you have the vessel or whatever it is that lets you through the orange door. After you kill the catacombs boss turn your sweet rear end around and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nigulus Rex posted:

would it be worth while to get 50 str to 1h the dragon king greataxe? I need another 25 str to 1h it, and like 8 to 2h it. It's that, or put the puts into endurance and use my drake sword until I can get some magic poo poo.

Nah, I wouldn't bother. If you've finished the Depths then you're getting really close to the best place to farm green shards, so you'll be able to make magic weapons soon enough.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Sarcophallus posted:

Fellow Gravelords:

Have any of you had any luck using Eyes of Death?

Any successes, notifications of failure, or invasions?
I've noticed you can leave the area you're in while doing it, so I'm not fully sure whether it effects 3 peoples worlds at random regions, or just the one where you used the item.

Tried googling and looking on GameFAQs. Most reports from Gravelords are that poo poo never seems to happen and there's no feedback so you have no idea if your summons are even doing anything.

Read another rumor that you're supposed to give Eyes of Death to Nito and you'll get a non-consumable one that hopefully works better, or at least you won't have to farm the loving things. They're only rare drops from basilisks (curse frogs.) You can buy them from a merchant in the Tomb of the Giants for 4k though.

I decided to play around with other covenants for now, but once I find that merchant I'm going to buy a shitload of eyes from him and see if there's any truth to that rumor.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
...I am on attempt 3 on the gaping dragon, and on my way back to him I forgot about the holes in the sewers and fell down and got cursed..how the hell do I lift this poo poo?

Gifts for Audiophiles
Dec 10, 2005

I've got kind of a spoilery question about the Catacombs, I was told by the prisoner from Undead Parish and the Miracle selling NPC in Firelink that his Lady was trapped down in the Catacombs. It took a while, but I have now gone through the whole Catacombs, killed the necromancer and found the skeleton blacksmith, all the way through to the next area without finding her. Did I just miss something or is she not down here at all/was it a time-sensitive event?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Gifts for Audiophiles posted:

I've got kind of a spoilery question about the Catacombs, I was told by the prisoner from Undead Parish and the Miracle selling NPC in Firelink that his Lady was trapped down in the Catacombs. It took a while, but I have now gone through the whole Catacombs, killed the necromancer and found the skeleton blacksmith, all the way through to the next area without finding her. Did I just miss something or is she not down here at all/was it a time-sensitive event?

Saw it on a stream, she's actually in the Tomb of the Giants, which I think is the next area.

e: I want to use my Iron Golem soul to make a special axe. I have the +10 weapon required. Do I need to use the soul in my inventory or a specific blacksmith to make the special axe?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 8, 2011

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
Where's the best place to go after ringing the first bell? The catacombs kills me, the butterfly kills me and the ghosts kill me.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Quelagg bullshit How do I know when she's going to use her giant gently caress off, AoE fire explosion? I'm happily cutting up her rear, and then bam, dead. There's a roar but it doesn't seem like it gives enough response time.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Houdini posted:

Where's the best place to go after ringing the first bell? The catacombs kills me, the butterfly kills me and the ghosts kill me.

Go back to the Dragon Bridge, close to where you met Solaire there is a door you should be able to unlock with a key found at the Parish. If you didn't get the key it's close to the inner gate, near the switch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

hcenvirons posted:

Quelagg bullshit How do I know when she's going to use her giant gently caress off, AoE fire explosion? I'm happily cutting up her rear, and then bam, dead. There's a roar but it doesn't seem like it gives enough response time.

When she slumps over she's going to do the fire explosion. I suggest only attacking only when she's just finished a swing, or when she's doing the large lava spit. Otherwise keep your shield up.

If you use pyromancy, you might want to pack Flash Sweat for that fight.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.

Nechronic posted:

Go back to the Dragon Bridge, close to where you met Solaire there is a door you should be able to unlock with a key found at the Parish. If you didn't get the key it's close to the inner gate, near the switch.

Thanks.

Jove
Jun 18, 2004

He doesn't come to us...we go to him...BOW DOWN, SLAVE.
I swear to God, I didn't know there could be anything that would make me wish for the Valley of Defilement.

gently caress Blighttown.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She must have been broken cause the bitch was easy, the spider one. She never did a AOE, I just got up in her face and swiped while she missed all her strikes. I than just kept my distance while she puked lava and moved in when she was barfing for a while.

Other boss was easy too: hide in the mountain and let him attack

But umm, now what the gently caress do I do? Below me are 8 taurus demons protecting something, I tried running through but they all caught up to me, 10k souls lost And the other way is a bunch of Capra Demons, sometimes two at a time. I don't think I am supposed to be here...

But... how do I get the gently caress back up? I don't want to go all through Blighttown again...

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
This gaping dragon is impossible while cursed. Two tail swipes kills me.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Nechronic posted:

e: I want to use my Iron Golem soul to make a special axe. I have the +10 weapon required. Do I need to use the soul in my inventory or a specific blacksmith to make the special axe?

You need a blacksmith to do it, not sure if the one near the church can do it but the one in Anor Londo can.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I love how varied of an experience everyone has with the different bosses. I beat the gargoyle on my first try without knowing anything more about him than what the E3 gameplay footage showed (i.e. There were two of them). I just summoned the Solaire and Astora's Sword helped me do the rest (though I did miss the axe because I killed the gargoyle before I could take his tail off). I'm running a Knight focusing on endurance primarily at the moment (since movement and stamina are always my two key factors) but picking up the Heal miracle and basically having 10 Estus Flasks + and 5 casts of Heal is extremely nice for slogging through new areas.

I also really enjoy all of the shortcuts and bonfires element so much better than the hub design. Sure it makes it a little more of a trek to each of the different vendors or helpers, but the game just seems to flow better and seem so much grander.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
These archers in Anor Londo must be my punishment for kicking enemies off ledges every chance I get.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nigulus Rex posted:

The tail swipe is easily dodgeable once you get the timing on it down, and once you cut off his tail the barf attack is the only one that can hit you if you stay behind him. If you do it right you should never get hit.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
What does the Crest of Artorias do? I have enough souls to buy it but I'm not sure if I should invest on it or just raise my soul level instead.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Nigulus Rex posted:

Stay far away from him when he lifts his head up wait till he opens his mouth a bit as that's his tell he's going to slam his head down, run in and while running once you're in range do your r1 attack and hit him once then run to the side, rinse and repeat. Barring him flying and landing on you for a 1 hit death you shouldn't get hit at all during the fight.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Nigulus Rex posted:

It's very easy to not take any damage from that boss.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Uznare posted:

What does the Crest of Artorias do? I have enough souls to buy it but I'm not sure if I should invest on it or just raise my soul level instead.

Opens a door in the forest that gives you easy access to the best grinding spot in the game.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Wang posted:

Stay far away from him when he lifts his head up wait till he opens his mouth a bit as that's his tell he's going to slam his head down, run in and while running once you're in range do your r1 attack and hit him once then run to the side, rinse and repeat. Barring him flying and landing on you for a 1 hit death you shouldn't get hit at all during the fight.

Yeah..thanks. Also, I killed the pyro trainer by accident, anyway to fix that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Uznare posted:

It opens the big glowing door in the forest.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

Nigulus Rex posted:

I managed it earlier :smuggo:

It took me quite a few attempts to get the pattern down though, if you look through my post history you can look at the strategy I used.

Also to anyone having problems in the Depths after the giant rat, when you slide down the waterfall if you keep all the way to the left edge you will not fall down into the rat and frog area :)

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Ugh, this game.

What's a good class for someone completely new to the series(And games like this, I suppose?) I'm completely stuck on the Taurus Demon and I have a level 8 warrior. I can't see a feasible way to level up either, since those rear end in a top hat bomber skeletons somehow keep a constant stream of firebombs at my face region(Even if I block, and/or dodgeroll around, they catch me)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Created a sorcerer because I'd not tried any magic poo poo yet, and plus I really, REALLY want to get a boar helm so I'm going to keep making characters until one of them gets that loving helm.. :arghfist::(

Where/when can I get more spells? What's the damage of sorcery spells based on? I've mostly been putting points into my physical stats right now so I could wear a hollow shield and wield a winged spear.

Also I figured out that you can kill the one-legged demon pat the parish blacksmith easily, if you've got 100-150 arrows and a short bow.. When you enter the room, move forward and left (about 10 or 11 o'clock from the entryway) and there's a pile of rubble you can stand behind, that will block his blasts.. Your arrows sail over the rubble when you've locked on to him, and he'll never, ever move position, just keep firing bolts at you like a tool. (I got sick of trying to melee him down.)

Finally, ho do i deal with those big golem dudes in the forest? One of them cast some sort of godawful slow-down spell on me, and I couldn't do a loving thing about it.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

Ugh, this game.

What's a good class for someone completely new to the series(And games like this, I suppose?) I'm completely stuck on the Taurus Demon and I have a level 8 warrior. I can't see a feasible way to level up either, since those rear end in a top hat bomber skeletons somehow keep a constant stream of firebombs at my face region(Even if I block, and/or dodgeroll around, they catch me)

If you found the golden pine resin in some chest around the undead burg, you should be able to kill that boss in about 5 hits.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Uznare posted:

Opens up the best grinding spot in the game, you can literally make that 20k back in minutes once you get in there.

http://youtu.be/kbFjdnYP9S4

e;fb

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Nechronic posted:

When she slumps over she's going to do the fire explosion. I suggest only attacking only when she's just finished a swing, or when she's doing the large lava spit. Otherwise keep your shield up.

If you use pyromancy, you might want to pack Flash Sweat for that fight.

Got it, thanks! Now to figure out how to get back to the surface.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm wondering about the fastest way to kill the guys with shields and spears. Someone above suggests kicking them, but when I kick the guys, it doesn't break their guard. Likewise, I'm not fast enough to get around behind them, even rolling - I don't think I've ever killed one other than by waiting for him to strike and hitting him quickly before he can.

These guys are taking me forever, longer on average than I took for the boar.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

^^Try using the riposte, get in real close to them and watch their arms when they lift their spears hit L2 then R1 right after, once you get the timing down they're super easy to beat

coyo7e posted:

Finally, ho do i deal with those big golem dudes in the forest? One of them cast some sort of godawful slow-down spell on me, and I couldn't do a loving thing about it.

Just run past them to the stairs where the entrance to the boss is, lure them up to the top of the stairs, don't get scared tho they can't go all the way up cuz rubble blocks them, they'll be stuck and you can spear them in the head till they die, keep luring them there one or two at a time till they're all dead then go loot the area, careful tho the bush guys will follow you up and can get past but they're easy

Wang fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 8, 2011

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

A BLACK PRESIDENT posted:

Ugh, this game.

Buy a bunch of firebombs and hurl them at his dick until he swings at you, then roll away from the swing. Repeat and he should go down fast.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

a foolish pianist posted:

I'm wondering about the fastest way to kill the guys with shields and spears. Someone above suggests kicking them, but when I kick the guys, it doesn't break their guard. Likewise, I'm not fast enough to get around behind them, even rolling - I don't think I've ever killed one other than by waiting for him to strike and hitting him quickly before he can.

Kicking doesn't always break their guard, so you may have to do it more than once. Alternately, keep your shield down and they'll be more likely to start winding up an attack.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

a foolish pianist posted:

Just hit their shield. It'll make them attack. Block their attack and then they'll stagger, which leaves them open for your attack.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Single undead female seeks like-minded individual to gently caress some poo poo up.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Any hints on the gargoyle fight? I'll do fine till about half way then his buddy turns up and suddenly its impossible to land a single hit with all the loving Fire and spears and poo poo everywhere. I cut off their tail which helpsish, but not really enough.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Any hints on the gargoyle fight? I'll do fine till about half way then his buddy turns up and suddenly its impossible to land a single hit with all the loving Fire and spears and poo poo everywhere. I cut off their tail which helpsish, but not really enough.

Get into human form and summon Solaire before you head in. He'll help take a lot of the pressure off of you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Where do you go after Ceaseless Discharge? The area around him is way too hard and I don't know a quick of way of going back up without venturing through Blighttown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Use your gold pine resin if you have any. They're weak to lightning. If you're a pyro, fireballs do decent damage as well. Once the first one gets close to half try to burn him down before the second one arrives.

• Locked thread