Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Oh boy, just got to Blight-town. Toxic and Poison, it's like this game is just taunting me. Time to go back and grind some Moss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just killed the wolf boss on my first try. The +5 furyblade hosed him up good, and he pretty much always misses so long as you are standing below him. Seems like he might be a good boss for me to be laying down my soapstone to help other people with. At level 48, I figure I am at about the range people will be doing it.

I've actually been surprised at just how easy a lot of the bosses have been. They start off relatively challenging, and then you get a string of bosses which aren't really all that tough.

Now to decide what to make from this soul. Between the holy blade and the shield, really. Thoughts?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

Get a lightning weapon and focus on fatty, or if you have pyromancy destroy the dragonslayer with it.

I've found that the key to the first part of the fight is keeping in mind that if you're not running the hell away, you have your shield up constantly. Focus on the big guy and only slash between the skinny guy's attacks. You can easily block the skinny dude, but always dodge when the fat dude attacks. Always. The main cause of death in this fight is having your guard broken by the giant and then being combo'd by the other dude.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Finally been able to join you all in this wonderful game, loving the new weapon animations, not liking so much those three dickheads who spam firebombs at you from above in the Undead Burg, though it's mainly my fault for going back to the bonfire after the Taurus Demon to level up, like some kind of greedy poo poo. I'm getting to grips with the system again though it has a fair few differences to DS, and the jump in difficulty isn't helping my general lack of coordination but nevertheless i shall struggle through, managed to defeat asylum demon and taurus demon first go.

And I met the dildo knight...what the hell, From?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Thundercracker - Kill the guys firing blowpipes and they don't come back.

I was wondering what the point of the area after the 2nd bell is. There's just some lava and gently caress all there.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

gently caress Ornstein and Smough so much. I've been killed five or six times already before I can even do anything because Ornstein dashes towards me and fucks my poo poo up almost instantly.

That's a pretty tough fight. My method was to take out Smough with a lightning spear, which he is incredibly weak to. You should just circle around and focus on defending and trying to get Smough between you and Ornstein, so you can hopefully avoid Ornstein's moves while jabbing Smough and watching his health plummet. The pillars are good for keeping distance when you need it.

Once Smough is dead, big Ornstein isn't too hard. His attacks are predictable. I like to get inside as much as possible and stab away. Pretty much all his melee attacks will fail if you are right up against him, as you should be. The only thing you have to watch out for is his AoE attack that happens when he jumps up and comes back down. Just run away/roll and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

Thievery posted:

I was wondering what the point of the area after the 2nd bell is. There's just some lava and gently caress all there.

there is another boss, and after defeating him the lava clears a bit

SL44 and with 20+ endurance and havel's ring has me at like 106 carrying load. holla

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MrSmokes posted:

The only thing you have to watch out for is his AoE attack that happens when he jumps up and comes back down. Just run away/roll and you'll be fine.

Getting hit by that attack is absolutely not an option though, unless your vit stat is 25+ you can't tank it.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

Getting hit by that attack is absolutely not an option though, unless your vit stat is 25+ you can't tank it.

Exactly, which is why I recommended running/rolling away. It's not too hard to avoid even if you're right up against him.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Anyone know where the Cursebite ring is in New Londo? I just opened the Depths and there's no way I want to fight these frogs without more resistance. I have like 4 Transient Curses to fight the ghosts but from what I explored of New Londo so far, I haven't found anything.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I'm a Knight and got a pyromancy hand and bought some spells but cannot use. Says there is no prereq for either but I cannot cast anything. What gives?

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Boosh! posted:

I'm a Knight and got a pyromancy hand and bought some spells but cannot use. Says there is no prereq for either but I cannot cast anything. What gives?

Did you attune them?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
Trying to take on the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in Anor Londo, but I keep gettign slaughtered. Im SL 41, anyone feel like helping?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

On the one hand, I know I should probably feel bad for using the Drake Sword.

On the OTHER hand, I've not even made it to any bonfires in Undead Parish yet even WITH the sword, so it seems I need every bit of help I can get :smith:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ledneh posted:

On the one hand, I know I should probably feel bad for using the Drake Sword.

On the OTHER hand, I've not even made it to any bonfires in Undead Parish yet even WITH the sword, so it seems I need every bit of help I can get :smith:

I don't understand why people feel bad about getting this sword. The last game was full of hidden stuff like that, and finding it is pretty important.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Oh man, the Gravelord Sword inflicts Toxin! I know what I'm gonna be using forever :unsmigghh:

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Ankle-biter posted:

I've used iron flesh to totally tank bosses. You just trade hits and win because they can't hurt you.

Oh, wow, iron flesh is that useful? I never bought it because it sounded lovely. Does the resistance scale up with damage? I have a +15 pyro flame.

Oh, and is there any way to level up the pyro flame past +15? I haven't found the "advanced" pyro trainer yet.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I'm really glad I picked up this game. Most of the monsters are brutally-tough-but-fair, even the first couple bosses like the Taurus Demon, but I still can't take a Black Knight down. Can they be parried, or is it just trial and error, dodging in narrow hallways?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Phoix posted:

If you have the Dingy robe set or a set with higher curse resist, put it on. He hits so god drat hard that any physical attacks are just going to kill you anyway. I beat him by waiting until he used the crystal beam attack and then beating the poo poo out of his stomach. It seemed like the crystals closer to him did less damage and with curse resist gear it never got anywhere near cursing me. He does have a tail though, and I assume there's a reward for cutting it off. It's incredibly dangerous behind him and Crystal Caves loving sucked so I have no idea what it gives you, if anything.

I actually managed to fluke a point of humanity off one of the crystal goblin things on the way to the bonfire before Seath. So I reversed my hollowing, summoned some help and donned my crimson robes. Managed to get him down to about 1/5 of his health, but the bastard still managed to curse me. I'm tempted to equip my purge stones and use them to clear my curse bar during the fight, but since I know I can't buy anymore, I'm hesitant to waste them.

Arrrrgh. I guess I might try and grind out another point of humanity so I can summon help again.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Thievery posted:

Did you attune them?

Hmmm, insufficient attunement slots it says

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
If I help someone kill the Gargoyles, and we chop off its tail, do I get an axe or is it only for the host?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Sputnik posted:

I'm really glad I picked up this game. Most of the monsters are brutally-tough-but-fair, even the first couple bosses like the Taurus Demon, but I still can't take a Black Knight down. Can they be parried, or is it just trial and error, dodging in narrow hallways?

You can pull them into wider areas. What I usually do though, is bait their lunge with my shield down, strafe around them and backstab.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Shlapintogan posted:

Bit late, but this fight is weird in that it's one of the hardest to do solo, but one of the easiest to win with a phantom buddy. All it takes is for one of you to distract Smough while the other kills the childishly easy Ornstein. When Smough buffs up, all that changes is that you need to watch the gently caress out for his lightning stomp which does absurd damage.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Hmmm, insufficient attunement slots it says

You gotta pump more points into your attunement stat until you get enough slots.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
As I was passing under the giant Crow on the way to the Catacombs, I keep hearing what sounds like deep breathing, and text on the bottom saying "Hmgg... Hmgg..." What's all that about?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Leyburn posted:

I actually managed to fluke a point of humanity off one of the crystal goblin things on the way to the bonfire before Seath. So I reversed my hollowing, summoned some help and donned my crimson robes. Managed to get him down to about 1/5 of his health, but the bastard still managed to curse me. I'm tempted to equip my purge stones and use them to clear my curse bar during the fight, but since I know I can't buy anymore, I'm hesitant to waste them.

Arrrrgh. I guess I might try and grind out another point of humanity so I can summon help again.

The enemies before the fight also drop purge stones but obviously it isn't guaranteed and if they don't drop one there's no close bonfire to reset them until you beat the boss.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

i am tim! posted:

As I was passing under the giant Crow on the way to the Catacombs, I keep hearing what sounds like deep breathing, and text on the bottom saying "Hmgg... Hmgg..." What's all that about?

Weird. I've heard snoring in the same area.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Weird. I've heard snoring in the same area.

You'll find out what that is after you ring the second bell.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

i am tim! posted:

You'll find out later. :ssh:

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Im around your level and need the ring as well. I haven't joined the forest covenant yet so maybe we can work something out? I stand around in the forest in human form and hopefully you get summoned into my game and kill me x3. Then you disband from the covenant and let me do the same to you?

Hey sorry this is from a bit back but yeah this sounds good assuming you're on 360.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just killed the wolf boss on my first try. The +5 furyblade hosed him up good, and he pretty much always misses so long as you are standing below him. Seems like he might be a good boss for me to be laying down my soapstone to help other people with. At level 48, I figure I am at about the range people will be doing it.

I've actually been surprised at just how easy a lot of the bosses have been. They start off relatively challenging, and then you get a string of bosses which aren't really all that tough.

Now to decide what to make from this soul. Between the holy blade and the shield, really. Thoughts?

What is the trick to that wolf boss? I die horribly in like 2 seconds as soon as the fight starts.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Has anyone managed to figure out how the darkmooncovenant works? I have the ring equipped, i'm using the blue orb to try and invade people but it just fails over and over again. Can you not choose who to invade with the book of the guilty?

This was from many pages back but I thought I'd hit on this. The ring invades on people in anor londo who have killed gwenivive. It's not always instantaneous and can take a while for it to fire off, so just go about your business and it'll kick on eventually. The blue eye orb invades a guilty person who is A): In your level range and B); In the same area you dropped the orb in and c: online or otherwise taking in people from the online land. Sometimes it takes quite a few tries for it to go off and you may need to drop it somewhere that would get a decent amount of foot traffic and/or is extremely dickish to fight phantoms in, i.e. New Londo, demon ruins, the painting, ect. Pretty much anything post anor londo is a decent spot to invade as a blue.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i am tim! posted:

Ring the second tower.... ;)

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

The shield is pretty awesome, if you have the 34 strength to use the thing. The sword, depending on whether you make it with a +10 great sword, or a +10 broken sword is different. The great sword version is(apparently) cursed, and can damage ghosts in the New Londo Ruins, but does less damage than the "true" version of the sword you get from a +10 broken sword. However, they have very strict requirements - the cursed version requires 24 strength, and 18 dex/int/faith, while the "true" version needs 20 int/faith in addition to the physical stats above. They both scale, if that matters to you.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

keyframe posted:

What is the trick to that wolf boss? I die horribly in like 2 seconds as soon as the fight starts.
Just stand under his feet and hit him. That is all I did, anyway. His swings won't hit you there. If there is a better trick, he didn't last long enough for me to find it. I only got hit like three times the whole battle, and I am wearing decently upgraded steel armor so it didn't kill me.

Specto posted:

The shield is pretty awesome, if you have the 34 strength to use the thing. The sword, depending on whether you make it with a +10 great sword, or a +10 broken sword is different. The great sword version is(apparently) cursed, and can damage ghosts in the New Londo Ruins, but does less damage than the "true" version of the sword you get from a +10 broken sword. However, they have very strict requirements - the cursed version requires 24 strength, and 18 dex/int/faith, while the "true" version needs 20 int/faith in addition to the physical stats above. They both scale, if that matters to you.
Hmm, that is a tough call then. It is a bunch of stuff I can't use for a while. I am a str/dex/faith mix, with 20 in each at the moment. That leaves me 14 strengh away from using the shield, and 12 int and 4 strength from using the true sword. I am not sure I really feel like leveling that much for either one of them. I kind of like keeping my level lower, so I can help people.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 9, 2011

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
I just got to Anor Londo and I'm at a dead end. From the first bonfire, if I go left, I hit a golden fog gate that is "Sealed by the Great Lord" and if I go down the elevator to the area with the gargoyle, I just hit a dead end at the end of the walkway. I can see that the tower in front of me looks like it should rotate and go down and up, but I cannot find a lever or anything to make it position itself at my level.

Help!

keyframe posted:

If you're playing as a tank, you can just block every one of his attacks and take no damage, and plink away at him right after each swing. His double swing will get you pretty low on stamina, but if you have enough endurance and stability in your shield, you won't be guard broken.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a way to get to Anor Londo without doing Sen's Fortress?

Also what is this great shield people from blighttown people are referring to? I scoured the place and I don't remember finding a tower shield. Unless it's the eagle shield?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

G.I. Jaw posted:

I just got to Anor Londo and I'm at a dead end. From the first bonfire, if I go left, I hit a golden fog gate that is "Sealed by the Great Lord" and if I go down the elevator to the area with the gargoyle, I just hit a dead end at the end of the walkway. I can see that the tower in front of me looks like it should rotate and go down and up, but I cannot find a lever or anything to make it position itself at my level.

Help!

Go back towards the stair case to the elevator you came down on, but look to the right, theres a small walkway. There's also a vary narrow butress you can walk up to the church.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Is there a way to get to Anor Londo without doing Sen's Fortress?

Also what is this great shield people from blighttown people are referring to? I scoured the place and I don't remember finding a tower shield. Unless it's the eagle shield?
The eagle shield is a greatshield, so yes. You can see it says "greatshield" under weapon type. It is a pretty good shield too. Upgraded it to +10 and am using it myself.

As for Anor Londo, you need to do Sen's Fortress. No shortcuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Phoix posted:

The enemies before the fight also drop purge stones but obviously it isn't guaranteed and if they don't drop one there's no close bonfire to reset them until you beat the boss.

That's cool. I figured him out on my 3rd go and spanked his arse.

• Locked thread