Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I have a tip for all shield melee characters:

Always leave enough stamina on your bar to block without breaking defense when attacking. Its all amount energy management, and if you whittle away at each enemy and keep them in front of you you're invincible to almost all attacks except magic/elementals.

My second tip is for the skeletons in the middle-path caves:

Always chase down the death-mage before engaging the skeletons, because they will resurrect all skeletons you kill within seconds. If that means losing your souls because you had to go balls deep into enemy territory so be it. Death-mages don't respawn, so kill them at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?

Quinch posted:

What does he actually sell this time around? I accidentally killed him because it was dark, I was on edge already and as soon as he came into view I just started wailing on him.

All three masks from the catacomb boss (increase weight, HP, stamina regen), Crescent axe (you can also kill him for it), Cleric Armor set, some humanities.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Edge Zero posted:

What I really like about this game is that when I die, instead of being pissed off at an enemy or the game itself and bitching that way, I get mad at myself. Instead of going "oh that cheap son of a bitch" or "this level is poo poo" I go "god drat why did I have to get greedy and try to rush through" or "why did I have to gently caress up my timing that badly".

Even in boss fights where I end up getting cornered, it's my own fault, not the game being a shitlord for not letting me roll through an enemy. I shouldn't have been in the situation.

I have to repost this and say I totally agree. This is why Dark Souls works.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

It's tempting, but don't kill the person you mentioned. Be kind and trusting towards him :)

Also I'm surprised Lautrec mention him. when does he do this?

I always exhaust all conversation options. He says it in the Firelink Shrine if you keep talking to him whenever you pass through. He basically says he's going to kick his as if he sees him again.

EDIT: OH poo poo.

Nigulus Rex posted:

What's a good weapon to use for lightning? I wanted to use the zweihander initially but I'm not liking how slowly it swings.

Sen's Fortress has a lightning spear in it. I forget where, though, sorry. I'm using it rigt now and it's a frigging treat, I tells ya.

Pyruvate
Apr 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone have any tips for playing a thief? I beat the warthog [by shoving a spear up its rear end], but I'm having trouble with the knights, like the one downstairs in Undead Burg, and the ones after the warthog. I'm using a spear two-handed and a shortsword or bandit knife with a shield. Should I concentrate on stats beside dex, end, and vitality?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CountingWizard posted:

I have a tip for all shield melee characters:

Always leave enough stamina on your bar to block without breaking defense when attacking. Its all amount energy management, and if you whittle away at each enemy and keep them in front of you you're invincible to almost all attacks except magic/elementals.

My second tip is for the skeletons in the middle-path caves:

Always chase down the death-mage before engaging the skeletons, because they will resurrect all skeletons you kill within seconds. If that means losing your souls because you had to go balls deep into enemy territory so be it. Death-mages don't respawn, so kill them at all costs.

Or you could just spend a bit farming a green chunk in the depths and make a divine weapon which prevents them from being resurrected.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I've rang the top bell and I am working through the forest area now, but I don't think I've encountered any new bosses at all. So far all the boss fights have been remodeled bosses from Demon's Souls with the same attack animations and behavior patterns. I feel kinda ripped off paying $60 for a new game that is just a slightly different version of Demons Souls.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

andrew smash posted:

Or you could just spend a bit farming a green chunk in the depths and make a divine weapon which prevents them from being resurrected.

I tried exploring down there, but god help me if I'm going to try facing ghosts again.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Edge Zero posted:

What I really like about this game is that when I die, instead of being pissed off at an enemy or the game itself and bitching that way, I get mad at myself. Instead of going "oh that cheap son of a bitch" or "this level is poo poo" I go "god drat why did I have to get greedy and try to rush through" or "why did I have to gently caress up my timing that badly".

Even in boss fights where I end up getting cornered, it's my own fault, not the game being a shitlord for not letting me roll through an enemy. I shouldn't have been in the situation.

Really? Half the time when I die I curse the game blind.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Pyruvate posted:

Anyone have any tips for playing a thief? I beat the warthog [by shoving a spear up its rear end], but I'm having trouble with the knights, like the one downstairs in Undead Burg, and the ones after the warthog. I'm using a spear two-handed and a shortsword or bandit knife with a shield. Should I concentrate on stats beside dex, end, and vitality?

I've put quite a lot into dex (28) and I'm pleasantly surprised that I can use my bandit knife to take down a lot of enemies. I put a few points into end, although I wish I'd added a few more to be honest. Circle strafe the knights, make sure you have a 100% physical block shield and get behind them for backstabs. Be aware that the big club wielding guy at the bottom of the staircase that has a door leading into Darkroot Basin crushes any guard and removes all your HP (at least he does with me) with his two handed attacks.

It's all about positioning.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

CountingWizard posted:

I tried exploring down there, but god help me if I'm going to try facing ghosts again.

Maybe you're thinking of something else but you don't have to fight any ghosts in the depths (sewers underneath the burg) that I know of. You certainly don't have to fight any to progress through the area and reach the bonfire + slime farming room.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Unknown_PC posted:

All three masks from the catacomb boss (increase weight, HP, stamina regen), Crescent axe (you can also kill him for it), Cleric Armor set, some humanities.

Wait, where abouts is he in there? I cleared it and I can't remember ever seeing him.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Wait, where abouts is he in there? I cleared it and I can't remember ever seeing him.

He's near the start. After the third column that you slide down. He's standing there in the dark and kicks you down a hole. Just up the ladder from the bonfire. Since you've cleared that area, any tips on how to handle those crawling skeletons that are tearing me apart?

Edit: Does that mean you played through that entire area without the lantern?!

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Mask of the Child + Grass Crest Shield = Instant Stamina refill.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Pyruvate posted:

Go down to New Londo, get the Estoc. The Estoc does both thrusting and regular damage with two separate, useful attack patterns - weak attacks do thrusting, strong do regular. It meshes perfectly with the thief parry/backstab playstyle due to also having a high critical damage stat. It has decently high base stats, and it scales well with Dexterity.

I recommend upgrading it some. I'm at about 18 dex with an Estoc +5 and comfortably killing the knights.

Dexterity, Endurance and Vitality are your main stats, yes, but don't neglect to pump a bit of Strength if necessary or some Intelligence or Faith if you want to branch out into spells. The Thief starts with one spell slot due to his attunement, I would recommend the Heal miracle.

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...

deadtear posted:

Yes if you want some stuff you can't get otherwise including the dragon covenant. There's a continuous path down if you don't want to make any jumps. It's a really rad looking area once you get out of the tree.

I, er, killed something down in that area. 'Killed' meaning I sat there and watched as it swam onto land, flailed around and died. I was screwing around with some of the stuff down there for a little while and I guess it got bored and beached it self?

I got the souls and it's drop, so the only regret I have is not giving it the fight it waited so long for. :(

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Leyburn posted:

He's near the start. After the third column that you slide down. He's standing there in the dark and kicks you down a hole. Just up the ladder from the bonfire. Since you've cleared that area, any tips on how to handle those crawling skeletons that are tearing me apart?

Edit: Does that mean you played through that entire area without the lantern?!

Oh! I thought he was in the catacombs. I saw the path to the next area and didn't go in there because I don't have a lantern :I

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Can someone tell me how to get the abyss quickly? I lowered the water in New Londo and was under the impression it's in the big cathedral building but I'm finding nothing but swarms of Darkwraiths.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Why does trading items with the crow not work for me? I've dropped 3 red eye orbs by now, 1 in the nest at Firelink and 2 in the nest at Asylum, then quit and reloaded and my item is gone. Do I need to be human to do this?

E: Jesus christ I am a retard, wrong loving nests

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CountingWizard posted:

I've rang the top bell and I am working through the forest area now, but I don't think I've encountered any new bosses at all. So far all the boss fights have been remodeled bosses from Demon's Souls with the same attack animations and behavior patterns. I feel kinda ripped off paying $60 for a new game that is just a slightly different version of Demons Souls.

Oh how wrong you are...

smuh posted:

Why does trading items with the crow not work for me? I've dropped 3 red eye orbs by now, 1 in the nest at Firelink and 2 in the nest at Asylum, then quit and reloaded and my item is gone. Do I need to be human to do this?

Wrong nests. There's a specific one in the Asylum, its smaller and you'll hear the crow speak when you step into it.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
Is it worth upgrading the lightning spear or should I save my titanite chunks for a weapon with better base damage? Basically I'm asking how rare titanite chunks are.

Also, I asked this before but didn't get an answer I don't think: Do you get back your upgrade materials when you downgrade a weapon?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Tgent posted:

Also, I asked this before but didn't get an answer I don't think: Do you get back your upgrade materials when you downgrade a weapon?

I've not tried it yet. But I'm so confident in the game's unflinching desire to gently caress you over at every chance that I'd be willing to say, of course not! :)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Skunk Ape posted:

Can someone tell me how to get the abyss quickly? I lowered the water in New Londo and was under the impression it's in the big cathedral building but I'm finding nothing but swarms of Darkwraiths.
Faster to run from the valley of the drakes side. Run though the double doors. Go up two sets of stairs inside, and through a wooden building (running through the skull dude here might be tough). Run up more stairs, and go straight through the building you enter. Hang a left, go up the big set of stairs straight ahead. Hang another left, walk across the narrow platform and through the fog gate. Put on the ring from the wolf and fall.

Tgent posted:

Is it worth upgrading the lightning spear or should I save my titanite chunks for a weapon with better base damage? Basically I'm asking how rare titanite chunks are.
You can farm them from the skull fuckers in the drained new londo area. Exactly the area I am talking about above. I just finished farming enough of them to get that 16 strength greatshield up to +14. It has 82 stability at that level, and it increases to 84 at +15.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 10, 2011

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Hahahahahaha I just rolled off of the bridge you fight the Taurus Demon on, and he was like "oh no you loving don't" and jumped off after me.

***YOU HAVE DIED***
***YOU HAVE DEFEATED***

And then I was at the bonfire and he was dead.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Save Russian Jews posted:

Hahahahahaha I just rolled off of the bridge you fight the Taurus Demon on, and he was like "oh no you loving don't" and jumped off after me.

***YOU HAVE DIED***
***YOU HAVE DEFEATED***

And then I was at the bonfire and he was dead.
And here I thought those messages saying "Weakness: Jumping off" were lying.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Can someone please help me with the mean motherfucking crawling skeletons in The Tomb of Giants?! Is there any way to avoid getting ripped apart by them?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

andrew smash posted:

Screw that. I did 75% of that area when I was underleveled and didn't know about Divine weapons by kicking each individual skeleton into a bottomless pit. :black101:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I kind of want to try rolling a low level character through the game now, just so that I can put down a soul sign by the gargolyes/capra and destroy them with a +5 lightning longsword or something.

If I had to pick "the right values" for strength and dex, I would say 16 and 14. 16 str gets you the eagle shield, and 14 dex lets you use the longbow. Honestly, you probably don't need more than that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Queelags Domain spoilers: I accidentally hit the stupid dipshit guarding the path to the bonfire and ruined my reputation with him so I figured id ignore that covenant completely. I equipped the ring I took as my gift before killing everyone though and talked to white spiderbabe and I felt really awful. I didnt notice it all those other times I was in the chamber but if you listen to what she says about how shes in pain and she can feel the eggs dying and then look her over again, you notice her spider half is dead and decaying and shes just stuck attached to it. Im surprised I felt so bad for her. At least she drops a fire keepers soul, ive got +5 Estrus Flasks now :)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Leyburn posted:

Can someone please help me with the mean motherfucking crawling skeletons in The Tomb of Giants?! Is there any way to avoid getting ripped apart by them?

They kind of flail around a whole lot after attacking, so rolling out of the way is the easiest way to deal with them. Then again, since they're in the tomb of giants, this is also a good way to kill yourself. FromSoft designed an enemy with an obvious weakness that you specifically can't use in the area you fight them in. :v:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Has anyone had any consistent success with multiplayer past level 50? I haven't seen a single summon sign or had any success with my own sign since Anor Londo and I've been through 7 or 8 areas since then. I also tried joining the Dragon Covenant, the Darkmoon Covenant and the Gravelord Covenant and didn't have any luck getting into games with their unique PvP stuff either. The only time I ever get to play online is the occasional forest summon every few hours now that I've rejoined the forest covenant. I almost get the feeling that there's nobody still playing on the 360 version in my P2P area.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

quote:

Has anyone had any consistent success with multiplayer past level 50?

To be honest I've had very little success with multiplayer at any level. I've managed to get summoned twice, summon help twice and get invaded once. I don't think it's working properly for me :(

KezzKezzan posted:

They kind of flail around a whole lot after attacking, so rolling out of the way is the easiest way to deal with them. Then again, since they're in the tomb of giants, this is also a good way to kill yourself. FromSoft designed an enemy with an obvious weakness that you specifically can't use in the area you fight them in. :v:

I'll need to give that a try. I noticed they kinda fall in a heap after their charging attack, but after that attack I'm usually at less than half health, with no stamina and scrambling for my estus flask!

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Bland posted:

Has anyone had any consistent success with multiplayer past level 50? I haven't seen a single summon sign or had any success with my own sign since Anor Londo and I've been through 7 or 8 areas since then. I also tried joining the Dragon Covenant, the Darkmoon Covenant and the Gravelord Covenant and didn't have any luck getting into games with their unique PvP stuff either. The only time I ever get to play online is the occasional forest summon every few hours now that I've rejoined the forest covenant. I almost get the feeling that there's nobody still playing on the 360 version in my P2P area.

I'm having the same issue on PS3. I haven't been invaded or been able to invade anyone since about SL40. I'm currently SL60 and it's been really lonely!

I'm pretty sure that in Demon's Souls, you could not play multiplayer with someone on NG+ if you were still on your original game, so it's possible that if people are beating the game at earlier levels, the higher you get, the more alone you'll be until NG+.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Quick question: is there any purpose for the Fire Keeper's Soul other than upgrading your Estus Flasks? I assume you can use it up to give yourself souls, but that doesn't quite seem the best use for it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Nick Biped posted:

Quick question: is there any purpose for the Fire Keeper's Soul other than upgrading your Estus Flasks? I assume you can use it up to give yourself souls, but that doesn't quite seem the best use for it.

You can't upgrade your Estus Flask past +7, so on NG+ they're just an easy source of humanity.

nauggins
Jun 26, 2009

it's big money postin' baby boy
Anybody having a problem with (what I assume is) controller lag? Like, I'll try to swing at something, but I just stand there for several seconds before I ACTUALLY attack. I have died so many times because of this. This is on 360.

Also gently caress you From for the stupid loving curse-frog haters in the Depths goddamn they got me three loving times, owing partly to that controller lag.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Leyburn posted:

Same way you can fight any tough mob - cast iron flesh, 2-hand your weapon, close your eyes and keep mashing R1. You can kill 3 at the same time and not drop below half HP - iron flesh is seriously good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

Reposting a question from earlier:

Any tips on finding the Painting Guardian armor? The guide says it it in the Painted world but it doesn't give details on how to find it.

I vaguely remember this, but in one of the buildings you can get up in the rafters. Do the jump roll thing to get to the other side of the rafters and you should find a path leading to it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

nauggins posted:

Anybody having a problem with (what I assume is) controller lag? Like, I'll try to swing at something, but I just stand there for several seconds before I ACTUALLY attack. I have died so many times because of this. This is on 360.

Also gently caress you From for the stupid loving curse-frog haters in the Depths goddamn they got me three loving times, owing partly to that controller lag.

I'm having the same issue. It almost seems as if it's not really controller lag so much as skipping input? Like you'll use an item but it won't actually go through until you press another button, usually LB because you want to put your shield up. It happens rare enough that it's not a huge issue but often enough to be an unfair cause of death, like the lovely d-pad swapping out your shield for your bow when you just wanted to get your estus flask out.

I'm using a wireless controller, what about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Quinch posted:

Same way you can fight any tough mob - cast iron flesh, 2-hand your weapon, close your eyes and keep mashing R1. You can kill 3 at the same time and not drop below half HP - iron flesh is seriously good.

I'm not a caster. I'll try this rolling thing tonight. To be honest I've barely been rolling at all in this game since it's so gimped in comparison to how it was in Demon's Souls.

Edit: Ohh it's a pyromancy. I actually have one slot that I've been using for Fireballs when the need arises. Might switch over to this Iron Flesh thing...

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 10, 2011

• Locked thread