Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Depths: So there wasn't just one butcher? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

victrix posted:

People keep talking about some armor merchant right near Firelink shrine?

Where is this dude? :confused:

I'd swear I've never talked to him, and apparently I have a bunch of cool stuff to buy there.

He's in a pretty weird spot. Go up the stairs leading to newbie enemies and go to the spot where you see the first shield guy. You should be able to jump (O while dashing) onto the aqueduct structure. Make your way over to the other side and you'll see him.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

He's in a pretty weird spot. Go up the stairs leading to newbie enemies and go to the spot where you see the first shield guy. You should be able to jump (O while dashing) onto the aqueduct structure. Make your way over to the other side and you'll see him.

I... I went over there and didn't spot him, then never went back :eng99: Thanks!

Bonus question, Sen's Fortress

Part way through the keep, there's a lizard dude who seems p. cool, he just sits there and chills by his wall. What's the deal? Some quest you have to be involved in to get him to speak?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So is there a way to refill your spells without resting at a bonfire, or increase the number of spells you can carry with you? I'm playing through the game again with a pyromancer, and having only eight fireballs to work with seems kind of lacking.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrSmokes posted:

So is there a way to refill your spells without resting at a bonfire, or increase the number of spells you can carry with you? I'm playing through the game again with a pyromancer, and having only eight fireballs to work with seems kind of lacking.

Level attunement. It gives you more slots.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What has two thumbs and apparently time to spare on a Wednesday?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ovaltine Jenkins posted:

Pyromancy + Sorcery. Attunement is more important than int early on. The hardest part is just getting to the first pyro trainer. Once you get the first pyromancy and sorcery trainers and like 5 attunement slots you turn into a murder machine. Personally I pumped up my pyromancy flame before really leveling int and have been using that primarily. I mostly use sorcery to pull/snipe mobs but once you get homing soulmass it's definitely worth leveling int (I think it's like 31 int for it to conjure 5 missiles).

You can definitely play a pure mage and it is hilariously overpowered. (this is after playing a SL 75 450 phyiscal resist +5 lightning zweihander unstoppable juggernaut) Once you get to like 7 attunement slots you should never run out of spells ever. Mixing pyromancy and sorcery means you can always slot the best spells available to you from each school and gives you the high damage of pyro and some sniping potential with sorcery. Homing soulmass alone is probably worth leveling up int because of the amazing precasting burst damage potential.
Alright, I stand corrected. Is this like Demon's where you can only upgrade certain weapons to Magic/Enchanted or can you do it with anything?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sheep, I really hate to ask, but isn't that the same as this? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgradechart

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drox posted:

Sheep, I really hate to ask, but isn't that the same as this? http://darksouls.wikidot.com/upgradechart

It's a little bit better than that, but yeah, same idea.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

victrix posted:

I... I went over there and didn't spot him, then never went back :eng99: Thanks!

Part way through the keep, there's a lizard dude who seems p. cool, he just sits there and chills by his wall. What's the deal? Some quest you have to be involved in to get him to speak?

He's there for a specific reason Reroute the boulders to smash him to death, there's a surprise waiting for you if you do.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

victrix posted:

You turn the boulder machine to hit him so you can free Big Hat Logan. The wall behind him can break but it has to be done by either the previously mentioned boulders, or sometimes the lizard himself will do a special swing while trying to kill you and break the wall

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is there a catalyst in the game that uses Faith, like Veskas pendant is an int using talisman?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So I found an infinite humanity farming spot. I mean they drop like candy. In the Tomb of Giants, right before the boss portal. Spoilers in case people want to be surprised by what's in the Tomb (I know I loving was, christ!)

The Pinwheel room right before Nito, if you drop in the water everyone is probably familiar with the little skeletal babies that pop up and start groping you with toxicity. You can farm these guys and they will sometimes drop humanity - the catch is you need to pick it up before a new copy of them respawn elsewhere in the pool. So just keep swinging and mashing the pickup button and you'll rack up a ton of humanity.

I made 20 humanity in 20 minutes of doing this, I poo poo you not. Was wearing the serpent ring too.

For a question of my own: is there any particular reason to go to Ash Lake aside from Dragon Covenant? Is actually part of the story at some point?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Find Catacombs bonfire and narrowly survive Necromancer to kindle it.
Unhollow and kindle.
Sit at bonfire for two minutes.
Suddenly stand up without pushing any buttons.
Realize you can be invaded ANYWHERE.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there a catalyst in the game that uses Faith, like Veskas pendant is an int using talisman?

The Tin Darkmoon Catalyst scales with an A for Faith. Keep in mind, though, that you can't use Sorceries whose intelligence requirements you don't meet. Choose? Yes. Equip? Yes. Actually cast? No.

You build it with Gwyndolin's soul.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

hcenvirons posted:

You turn the boulder machine to hit him so you can free Big Hat Logan. The wall behind him can break but it has to be done by either the previously mentioned boulders, or sometimes the lizard himself will do a special swing while trying to kill you and break the wall

What the hell, I've turned the machine to face him many times, and never once saw that.

I guess I somehow managed to never walk down there after turning it to face him. Thanks yet again :downs::hf::eng101:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

What does raising your Faith score get you? The two spells my cleric has are Heal and Force, and I'm hoping increased Faith will make the tiny radius a little bigger. Other than those two, what other interesting miracles can I get, and will I have to have a high Faith score to use them? Force doesn't do any damage, so I have to imagine it's pretty useful at low Faith.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Viash posted:

I have enough attunemnt for 5 slots, I never really needed more than that because I just enchanted uchigatana+5 mooks. The main spells I use are Homing Crystal Soulmass, and Crystal Soul Spear. The Soul Arrow line is too slow, I don't really care for it.

As for gear, in addition to the +20% sorcery ring you buy from the initial trainer, there's a +20% all magic hat (sold by Domnhall after beating Gwyndolin), a ring that halves your hp but doubles your charges (I forget where I got this), and a catalyst that halves your charges but greatly increases your spell power (gotten at the end of Big Hat Logan's storyline). Combine all this poo poo and you are the glass cannon of the gods.

I have no idea what "+5 mooks" means, otherwise, thanks for the input.

EDIT: I was looking in my guide for Undead Burg lower level, but I can only find the "main" and "upper" level maps in my guide and they have markers for "lower level" but no actual layout for it.

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 13, 2011

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Did whips get cut from the game? I was almost looking forward to making a Belmont.

Phenotype posted:

What does raising your Faith score get you? The two spells my cleric has are Heal and Force, and I'm hoping increased Faith will make the tiny radius a little bigger. Other than those two, what other interesting miracles can I get, and will I have to have a high Faith score to use them? Force doesn't do any damage, so I have to imagine it's pretty useful at low Faith.

Divine and (I think) Occult weapons scale off Faith, which will let you wreck skeletons and laugh.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Nigulus Rex posted:

I have no idea what "+5 mooks" means, otherwise, thanks for the input.

"I just [used the] Uchigatana+5 [on] mooks"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's a whip down in Blighttown somewhere iirc

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

Did whips get cut from the game? I was almost looking forward to making a Belmont.

Divine and (I think) Occult weapons scale off Faith, which will let you wreck skeletons and laugh.

There are at least two. You find your first one on a platform in Blighttown. Try dropping off a ledge once you get into a vertical concrete pipe about halfway through.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
There's a whip you can find in Blighttown, in the vertical tunnel that wall-mounted gross guy is attached to. You have to drop down to get it.

There's another whip but I don't have it and suspect it's somewhere deep in Sen's or Anor Londo.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Heavy neutrino posted:

I do not see that guy at all. All I get is a Sacrifice Ring.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Shumagorath posted:

Nope, they're in!

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think by "pure" you mean "slab."

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Capsaicin posted:

I do not see that guy at all. All I get is a Sacrifice Ring.

You have to find him elsewhere, first. He's a very friendly guy in the Depths.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm thinking about upgrading Astora's Straight Sword to +5. Is it worth it to fully upgrade it?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sheep-Goats posted:

You should put Dragon and Unique in line with Base +10 since that's what their power level is basically.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Rascyc posted:

So I found an infinite humanity farming spot. I mean they drop like candy. In the Tomb of Giants, right before the boss portal. Spoilers in case people want to be surprised by what's in the Tomb (I know I loving was, christ!)

I was getting about 2 humanity per minute there once I got used to it and stopped missing out on drops. And thats with 00 humanity and only the ring.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading Astora's Straight Sword to +5. Is it worth it to fully upgrade it?
Nope! If you do, prepare for disappointment.

I haven't tried int scaling weapons, but divine weapons do pretty trashy damage. The damage listed in the character stat screen may be high, but the damage when you hit something is low. Their only real use is to permanently kill catacombs skeletons.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

SgtSteel91 posted:

If you're pumping points into faith, maybe, otherwise no.

Also this is rad: my game froze while warping and now I'm just sitting at a bonfire, doing nothing. Guess I'll just turn it off and on and hope it doesn't corrupt everything.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Fully upgraded it does 120 phy / 120 mag damage along with C / C stat modifiers too. Plus it looks loving amazing which is the only reason to ever equip anything in this game. :colbert:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

Fully upgraded it does 120 phy / 120 mag damage along with C / C stat modifiers too. Plus it looks loving amazing which is the only reason to ever equip anything in this game. :colbert:

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I also want to get into the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. What area can I put down a soul sign for an early 20's soul level?

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 13, 2011

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

is the speckled stoneplate ring as effective as each of the other single-purpose stoneplate rings?

Anyone have an answer to this question? When I say single-purpose stoneplate rings I'm referring to the lightning, magic, and fire resist rings.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Has anyone managed to get the armor of thorns yet? If so can you post it's stats? It seems quite difficult to obtain.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Filthy Monkey posted:

Nope! If you do, prepare for disappointment.

I haven't tried int scaling weapons, but divine weapons do pretty trashy damage. The damage listed in the character stat screen may be high, but the damage when you hit something is low. Their only real use is to permanently kill catacombs skeletons.

I found that making a divine club is way better than going in there with astoras sword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SgtSteel91 posted:

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Edit: I also want to get into the Warrior of Sunlight Covenant. What area can I put down a soul sign for an early 20's soul level?
Early 20s is probably either gargoyles or Capra. Maybe Gaping Dragon, but that's pushing it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

So I just beat the Gaping Demon, Is he supposed to be this easy? I barely took any damage and it seems like his only attacks besides flying closer to you is pummeling his head down and then rushing forward. It seems impossible to die to this guy. Also, 50 str req axe :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Anyone have an answer to this question? When I say single-purpose stoneplate rings I'm referring to the lightning, magic, and fire resist rings.

I don't know for sure but I would guess that since the speckled stoneplate ring covers all elemental damage, if that is what I'm understanding, it's going to be less effective for a single element stoneplate ring. You trade overall resist for strong single resist.

• Locked thread