Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The six speed auto was fine anyway.

They should never have done the 4 speed auto and they definitely shouldn't have done the 5 speed manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Saw my first Aventador in the wild yesterday. Posting here since I didn't manage to take a picture and it still counts as a new vehicle. I must say, for as much as people complain that it's not a new vehicle and looks phoned in, Murcielago 2.0 basically, it still cuts an absolutely stunning figure in real life and god drat that exhaust :swoon:

Fuzzy1
Feb 20, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

So the Camaro ZL1 officially ran the Nurburgring in 7:41.27 which is a few tenths of a second faster than the $120k Corvette ZR1. Granted the track conditions and driver don't make it a fair comparison, but jesus christ you will soon be able to go to a Chevy dealer and exchange about $60k for something that runs the 'ring faster than cars well over 2-3x its price. That time is competitive with a Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, Nissan GT-R, Zonda, etc. and pretty handily beats a lot of other exotics like the Ferrari F430 (10 seconds faster), etc.

It's interesting to see how wildly different the times can be when a car is tested by the factory and then by independent magazines. But if you're comparing apples to apples (factory versus factory times) the ZL-1 isn't even in the picture with most of those cars.

It also looks like Nissan is upping the GTR's HP to somewhere around 570 for 2013. That's large hp bumps in consecutive years! Tuners have been saying that the GTR's internals are pretty much designed to handle 600 hp easily, so I wonder if there'll be another bump for 2014.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fuzzy1 posted:

Tuners have been saying that the GTR's internals are pretty much designed to handle 600 hp easily, so I wonder if there'll be another bump for 2014.

They must have really fixed the tranny issues.

e: some camo shots of the BRZ:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/10/spied-subaru-brz-coupe-shows-its-face.html
I want the final thing to avoid looking like either the Genesis coupe or the G37 coupe, which this seems to from under the camo.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 13, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Does anyone know if Hyundai has any plans to add their 2.4L 4cyl as an option to the Veloster? I've only bought Chevys so far but I kinda want one.

Edit: vv I was hoping for something NA but that'd certainly be worth a look.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 13, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Only things I've seen on the Veloster is that a 200hp-ish turbo is a certainty, and they may be adding a five-door option.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
On the Hyundai speculation note:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/blog/post/hyundais-450-hp-lab-rat

quote:

The Hyundai Genesis’s potential for causing someone to potentially find themselves on the wrong end of a radar gun has been previously noted. We can’t imagine what the special edition prototype Genesis Hurricane SC would do to one’s points standing.

The car is a result of a two-year development program involving Hyundai America Technical Center Inc. (HATCHI), Magnuson Products, Rhys Millen Racing, Harman International, and Torvec.

Undoubtedly the main-stage change to the vehicle is the fact that HATCHI worked with Magnuson Products to supercharge the Coupe’s 3.8-liter V6 engine.

Now that engine produces more than 450 hp.

That’s right: V6. 450 hp.

“The HATCHI and Magnuson supercharger demonstrated the high-performance potential of Genesis Coupe’s V6 engine—the car was engineered to handle this kind of power,” according to David Dutko, senior engineer, HATCI.

Terry Peddicord, director, sales, Magnuson Products, explained, “The supercharger creates a modest six to seven pounds of boost which generates a 35 to 45% increase in horsepower and torque and can be easily modified to deliver even higher boost levels.” Higher? He continued, “One of the many exciting aspects of this project is that the Genesis Hurricane SC is not just another pretty face for the show circuit, but rather it is a hard-working lab-rat that will push the bounds of this car and the whole vehicle segment.”

Beyond the supercharger, the car features a Torvec IsoTorque differential, a free-flowing exhaust system from Rhys Millen Racing (as well as an aero kit from the firm); Bilstein monotube shocks; Brembo six-piston brake kit; a SPEC lightweight single mass aluminum flywheel and stage two clutch; DeatschWerks high-flow fuel pump and 600-cc injectors; Perma-Cool oil, diff, and steering coolers; custom CPR Fabrication billet aluminum oil filter adapter; FlyRyde LED headlights and taillights; specially tuned Harman Lexion audio system; and Katzkin leather and suede seats.

No, you can’t buy one. But here’s betting that they didn’t spend two years working on supercharging a car simply to show it at the forthcoming SEMA show.

eames
May 9, 2009

'the heck is wrong with BMWs design department? They are working hard to make Bangles work look better than ever.

d-3er-p.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/pics-aplenty-2012-bmw-3-series-w-video/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't hate that as much as I hate the new 1.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You're crazy, the new F30 looks way better than the E90. Sharper front end, cleaner body lines, and the whole car just looks slimmer and lighter (and is ~90lbs lighter). Still no E46, but I think it's a good evolutionary redesign. Can't wait to see the coupe next year.

M-Sport package:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 14, 2011

eames
May 9, 2009

Guinness posted:

M-Sport package:

Ok, I have to admit that it very good in that picture, but that could be the angle.
The 1-series-ish fascia with the headlights connected to the kidneys ruins the design for me in almost all other pictures. (and most likely in person too)

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

eames posted:

'the heck is wrong with BMWs design department? They are working hard to make Bangles work look better than ever.

d-3er-p.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/pics-aplenty-2012-bmw-3-series-w-video/

This looks much better than the 5 series.

I'm glad BMW chose to make at least one attractive car.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

eames posted:

Ok, I have to admit that it very good in that picture, but that could be the angle.
The 1-series-ish fascia with the headlights connected to the kidneys ruins the design for me in almost all other pictures. (and most likely in person too)

Should look better, not worse, in person. Re-posting real life photo from BMW thread to give a better idea of what it might look like to non telephoto eyes:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I rather like the front end, even the lights-connected-to-the-kidneys. Edit: ^^^^ Yeah, see, that looks awesome IMO.

Compare to the mustache-grille of the early E90 sedans, which still just looks hilariously bad:

The new F30 is a huge improvement.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 14, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cream_Filling posted:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/blog/post/hyundais-450-hp-lab-rat

Why is autofieldguide so impressed that they supercharged a 3.8l v6 with 306 hp and got 150 more horses. Is that really that amazing... really. Might be nice if they did that on a completely stock engine then offered it as a cheap kit, but they upgraded the fuel pump and fuel injectors. Seems ho-hum to me.

A mustang GT is about 100 pounds heavier than a stock genesis v6 coupe and is a far far better starting point. Plus theres about 10 superchargers and turbo chargers out there for someone to buy at this very moment.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Guinness posted:

You're crazy, the new F30 looks way better than the E90. Sharper front end, cleaner body lines, and the whole car just looks slimmer and lighter (and is ~90lbs lighter). Still no E46, but I think it's a good evolutionary redesign. Can't wait to see the coupe next year.

M-Sport package:

Hopefully the coupe will look better as with the E90. I'm guessing no pictures of that around yet?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The coupe won't probably won't be launching until MY 2013. The coupes (or 4-series, as the case may be this time) typically don't launch for about a year after the sedans, and the convertibles another few months after the coupes.

I think the coupe version has the potential to look really great with this generation. The coupes tend to look better than the sedans IMO (especially with the E90/E92s), so here's hoping the trend continues with the new generation.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 14, 2011

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Why is autofieldguide so impressed that they supercharged a 3.8l v6 with 306 hp and got 150 more horses. Is that really that amazing... really. Might be nice if they did that on a completely stock engine then offered it as a cheap kit, but they upgraded the fuel pump and fuel injectors. Seems ho-hum to me.

A mustang GT is about 100 pounds heavier than a stock genesis v6 coupe and is a far far better starting point. Plus theres about 10 superchargers and turbo chargers out there for someone to buy at this very moment.

150 HP with a supercharger pushing a very low amount of boost and a simple modification to increase fuel delivery is pretty impressive. They also noted that increases in boost (and therefore higher horsepower) is going to be simple.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

eames posted:

I'm with you, I hate the picture that you posted, but the Guinness put up is really nice. It gives the front end a very low-to-the-ground look that we haven't seen recently. The last sedan that I remember pulling off a low front end was the BP Legacies.

Cream_Filling posted:

I really hope that Hyundai is looking to make a supercharged version of the GC available; and not as a special edition. I love the looks and the handling, but the Mustang GT is still a better car for not very much more. They are doing well enough at the boost game with their smaller engines, I imagine they can build a solid 'charged V6 if they tried.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

That and Mustang fanboys just can't seem to grasp that not everyone wants a Mustang, for whatever reason.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

That and Mustang fanboys just can't seem to grasp that not everyone wants a Mustang, for whatever reason.

I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Since the retrofication they've looked dreadful.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

basically if i said nothing about mustangs you agree that the figures are unimpressive. If im reading it right it seems like magnacharger has no plans to bring the supercharger to the market either. considering theyve brought out stuff to cadillac cts-v, challengers, mustangs, corvettes, even G8s, whats stopping them from selling this supercharger? All i can think is hyundai doesnt want them selling it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

basically if i said nothing about mustangs you agree that the figures are unimpressive.

HP to HP it really sounds very similar, V6 to V6 and supercharged V6 to V8. Weight is slightly different but negligible, and like I said some people just flat out don't want a Mustang. The only reason the Mustang 'is a better starting point' is because it's had what, nearly 50 years of being marketed and refined to the Genesis's how many?

E: I guess the point I'm trying to make is "get a mustang" is becoming the new "get a Miata," regardless of what the person wants or likes.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 15, 2011

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

HP to HP it really sounds very similar, V6 to V6 and supercharged V6 to V8. Weight is slightly different but negligible, and like I said some people just flat out don't want a Mustang. The only reason the Mustang 'is a better starting point' is because it's had what, nearly 50 years of being marketed and refined to the Genesis's how many?

What im saying is supercharging a 300hp 3.8L V6 and getting 450hp is not as impressive as the article is making it out to be, regardless of whether or not youre comparing it to a mustang. I would think most 6 cylinder engines making 300hp N/A can do that nowadays, maybe im wrong though.

Its especially stupid because apparently it isnt good enough to be brought to the market? I would imagine theres a lot of genesis owners that want to get their hands on this, no? Im all for companies who bring more aftermarket stuff to the table for any car, people should have those types of options available to them

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

whats stopping them from selling this supercharger? All i can think is hyundai doesnt want them selling it.

You can't discount the fact that the GC doesn't really have much of a potential market for big-money engine modifications yet. It has only been out for two model years now and they really haven't moved that many units (a quick search suggests about ~2200/mo combined with the Genesis sedan numbers). When you consider the Mustang is moving 7-9,000 a month, it is fair to say the GC lacks market the necessary market potential right now.

Plus, what would Hyundai do to stop them?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is this the supercharger that I posted a pic of earlier? If so it's the only application of a Roots type supercharger on a 60* V6 I've ever seen, and it looks like it's going to have some fancy/bulky intake piping too, with the blower mounted off to one side of the engine.

That's got to count for uniqueness at least.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Guinness posted:

I rather like the front end, even the lights-connected-to-the-kidneys. Edit: ^^^^ Yeah, see, that looks awesome IMO.

Compare to the mustache-grille of the early E90 sedans, which still just looks hilariously bad:

The new F30 is a huge improvement.

Holy poo poo. I hated on it at first but comparing it to the E90, the E90 just looks ridiculously outdated.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fuzzy1 posted:

It's interesting to see how wildly different the times can be when a car is tested by the factory and then by independent magazines.
:eng101: "Excuse me, Mr Factory-Test-Driver, but this car won't do 0-60 in your book time"

:clint: "Sure it will!" *Makes a 1-2 shift without using the clutch or lifting the throttle*

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Guinness posted:

M-Sport package:

Maybe it's just me, but I'm somewhat bothered by the hood's height being slightly lower than the trunk's. I know this has kind of become inbred in BMW's design language, and maybe it'll look better on the coupe, but from profile it just doesn't look that clean.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

travisray2004 posted:

Holy poo poo. I hated on it at first but comparing it to the E90, the E90 just looks ridiculously outdated.

What's wrong with it? I, personally, find the E90 to be a really attractive car and not old-looking in the slightest. It looks more conservative than the F30, but so does the E46.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

InitialDave posted:

:eng101: "Excuse me, Mr Factory-Test-Driver, but this car won't do 0-60 in your book time"

:clint: "Sure it will!" *Makes a 1-2 shift without using the clutch or lifting the throttle*
*Or just does the test in the quicker automatic instead* Whoa it's 2011 already?

E:VVVV Technology is cool. I'd love to see what a CVT M3 could do.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lowclock posted:

*Or just does the test in the quicker automatic instead* Whoa it's 2011 already?

Frozenphil? Is that you?

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

travisray2004 posted:

I think that picture is a pre-facelift E90, though. Personally I'm surprised by how conservative they played the F30. Aside from the front fascia, I have a hard time telling it apart from the current E90.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lowclock posted:

E:VVVV Technology is cool. I'd love to see what a CVT M3 could do.

I understand that in theory an CVT should be optimal, but in the real world has anyone actually produced a car that performs better in its CVT version than with a conventional manual?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

You say that like there is something wrong with it. :colbert:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

They must have really fixed the tranny issues.

e: some camo shots of the BRZ:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/10/spied-subaru-brz-coupe-shows-its-face.html
I want the final thing to avoid looking like either the Genesis coupe or the G37 coupe, which this seems to from under the camo.

really looking forward to this and the FT86 getting their camo off.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr. Pither posted:

I think that picture is a pre-facelift E90, though. Personally I'm surprised by how conservative they played the F30. Aside from the front fascia, I have a hard time telling it apart from the current E90.

Is the new 3 Coupe also going to get unique sheetmetal from the sedan like last generation? Because the outgoing E92 coupe is in my opinion probably still BMW's best looking car right now.

post-facelift E90

mid-gen facelift E92

Also, from what I've read, despite the clever styling tricks, the new 3 series actually has a taller and longer front end than the outgoing model.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Cream_Filling posted:

Is the new 3 Coupe also going to get unique sheetmetal from the sedan like last generation? Because the outgoing E92 coupe is in my opinion probably still BMW's best looking car right now.

post-facelift E90

mid-gen facelift E92

Also, from what I've read, despite the clever styling tricks, the new 3 series actually has a taller and longer front end than the outgoing model.

Aren't coupe front ends way different though? You posted one sedan and one coupe.

Also, I hate the current coupes. To soft and round. To much like a bar of soap.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't, as E92s seem pretty well-received. They've only revealed the sedan at this point and I imagine they'll make a big to-do about revealing the convertible, wagon, and coupe over the next year or so.

They might call it the 2-series though, which I think enthusiasts would grumble about as another dilution of BMW's branding and history, but if it's a good car then they'll get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

I understand that in theory an CVT should be optimal, but in the real world has anyone actually produced a car that performs better in its CVT version than with a conventional manual?

I think CVTs have higher frictional losses than conventional gearboxes, and make up for it by being in the "right" gear vis a vis the engine at all times, which makes them better suited for certain types of vehicles, like Japanese kei cars that otherwise can only fit a 4 speed autos and mostly do city drive cycle(I think they have a clutch that just freewheels when not moving?). For larger cars/engines and highway cruising they aren't very good.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 18, 2011