Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Filthy Monkey posted:

They were probably all negative ratings, actually. The rating you see is only the total sum. If you want to see the breakdown of positive and negative, you need the "seek guidance" miracle.
That's completely retarded! Why!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Elysiume posted:

That's completely retarded! Why!

There needs to be a Dark Souls/from software smiley I think. Just a scrolling marquee with a black background and white letters.

LorentzViolator
Sep 6, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Catacombs, right before the Titanite Demon, there's a mess of skeletons on that ridge before you go in the tomb...where is the necromancer that controls them? They keep following me in and messing me up, and I can't keep them dead!

As you go through the tomb before the Titanite Demon tomb, you can see him hiding high up. If that's not the one that controls them, then the last one is in the Titanite Demon tomb in a room leading horizontally off from the pit containing two skeletons. He is protected by two skeleton archers. Hope this helps!

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's one of the few complete BS deaths so far...pure, unadulterated, BS...there was literally nothing I could do to stop them. What the gently caress?! How do I even get past them at all?!

Rolling skeletons are really tough but once they start rolling they can't turn worth poo poo. In the catacombs I just run run RUN past them. They will definitely catch up to you but as long as you weave a little when you see them behind you they'll miss you entirely. They leash when you reach the boss area.

Alternately, bait them into charging you and then just move out of the way and they'll grind against the wall for a while. Careful, though, because if you accidentally move into them while attacking, even from behind, they'll still hurt you as long as they're spinning.

also re: necromancers and respawning skeletons:

You know that round room right before you go back outside, with the explodey heads? The necromancer is in that room, really high up on a platform. From Bonfire #2, you can creep into the room carefully and shoot him with a bow to kill him without aggro'ing the skeletons. Alternately, there's a wall at the bottom that is breakable and that will eventually lead up to his platform.

All of the other necromancers are generally in plain sight or easily reachable but he stays up there so those last skeletons keep respawning until you figure out how to kill him.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 15, 2011

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Valkrye posted:

Which bonfire are you using? There is one in the second temple in the lava behind an illusionary wall, it's directly opposite the root you climb up to get into the ruins bit.

Im making the Reddit "Are you loving kidding me" funnyface at the moment because Im almost positive I checked all those doors for fake entrances. I must have hit the same one twice and skipped one.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wow, the crystal ring shield is ridiculous. I figured Ornstein and Smough were going to be a problem on my low level run, so I made that thing and equipped it alongside a +3 lightning Uchigatana. Completely trivialized the fight. Got it first try and it took almost no effort. It would have been even easier if I had the +5 lightning Zweihander my other character uses. If anyone is having boss problems, I'd suggest picking up that shield.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Im making the Reddit "Are you loving kidding me" funnyface at the moment because Im almost positive I checked all those doors for fake entrances. I must have hit the same one twice and skipped one.

In case you hadn't looked in there yet, the other little shrine down there has a soul worth about 20k in it, I think Soul of a Great Hero or something?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vargs posted:

Wow, the crystal ring shield is ridiculous. I figured Ornstein and Smough were going to be a problem on my low level run, so I made that thing and equipped it alongside a +3 lightning Uchigatana. Completely trivialized the fight. Got it first try and it took almost no effort. It would have been even easier if I had the +5 lightning Zweihander my other character uses. If anyone is having boss problems, I'd suggest picking up that shield.

Dark Souls Wikidot posted:

General Information

L2 (R2 right hand) throws crystal light that deals damage using 2 times your right hand weapons attack power.
What the christ.

EDIT: Its stability is piss poor and only reduces 90% physical damage though, so I guess it's just a second weapon.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
So I'm playing a Cleric and I still can't cast magic, after getting carried away by the crow... did I miss something important?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm playing a Cleric and I still can't cast magic, after getting carried away by the crow... did I miss something important?

Did you get the talisman from the corpse hanging off the ledge above the Asylum Demon?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Did you get the talisman from the corpse hanging off the ledge above the Asylum Demon?

Hmm, probably not. I suppose I'll restart. :(

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah I decided to look up how it's damage works out as well, looks like I'm using my +5 Dragon King Greataxe when I find that.

Should make PVP a laugh hitting people for 1k+

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wildtortilla posted:

You need to have a talisman/catalyst/fire equipped in your offhand and hit LB to use your miracle/sorcery/pyromancy.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like I could fill this entire post with nothing but capital letter A's and people would still understand perfectly well that I was talking screaming about the Tomb of the Giants. Mother of all that is holy, that place is a nightmare, and even after waiting until SL 85 to challenge it it's still doing horrible, terrible things to me.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't all on cliffs that you get pushed off of by everything with depressing regularity, but there you go. And the crawling skeletons! Who decided it would be a good idea for something to be able to attack that fast with virtually no cooldown and do that much damage? That's not even mentioning their stamina-burning combo which will kill you if you don't have 100% stamina or close to it. If you are a melee character, you CANNOT kill them reliably without trading hits.

First thing in the game to date to make me stop playing and go cool off, I was starting to get an ulcer. Is there a trick to this place that I'm not seeing? I made it all the way to THE BOSS once, but I had a fraction of health left and no more recovery items, so the drop into the room killed me after politely waiting for his cutscene to finish. Kinda funny, in a Dark Souls sorta way.

edit: does anyone know where I can get more Titanite Slabs?

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
So I've sort of hit a brick wall with this SL1 playthrough and I'm hoping someone may have an answer.

Is there a way to get within melee range of Ceaseless Discharge without him raping you with his fire attack at least once? I only have 14 end or whatever the pyromancer starts with, so I cannot sprint all the way across the room in one go. I have to run and let it recharge a bit in between, but five times now he has just decided I was too far to try and melee and uses his fire attack, three times I was actually right in his face and he did it anyway.

This was a huge pain in the rear end on my first playthrough, but I at least had the hp to survive a few blasts prior to the actual fight. I'm afraid I may be hosed.

Cicadas! posted:

I feel like I could fill this entire post with nothing but capital letter A's and people would still understand perfectly well that I was talking screaming about the Tomb of the Giants. Mother of all that is holy, that place is a nightmare, and even after waiting until SL 85 to challenge it it's still doing horrible, terrible things to me.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if it wasn't all on cliffs that you get pushed off of by everything with depressing regularity, but there you go. And the crawling skeletons! Who decided it would be a good idea for something to be able to attack that fast with virtually no cooldown and do that much damage? That's not even mentioning their stamina-burning combo which will kill you if you don't have 100% stamina or close to it. If you are a melee character, you CANNOT kill them reliably without trading hits.

First thing in the game to date to make me stop playing and go cool off, I was starting to get an ulcer. Is there a trick to this place that I'm not seeing? I made it all the way to THE BOSS once, but I had a fraction of health left and no more recovery items, so the drop into the room killed me after politely waiting for his cutscene to finish. Kinda funny, in a Dark Souls sorta way.

edit: does anyone know where I can get more Titanite Slabs?

The best way to handle those crawling skeletons is to use a shield and spear, so you can still stab them while they're doing their bullshit crazy attack. Using a Fire Spear +10, I was able to drop them in three hits. The best thing to do is creep up until they start their attack animation, and immediately begin backing off. Either they're going to leap forward with their big swing, leaving them open to a few hits, or do the crazy attack, which you will only catch the tail end of if you're backing up right as they start it.

G.I. Jaw fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 15, 2011

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For the shitshow that was The Catacombs, Pinwheel went down like a little bitch.

Then I tried to follow the colored lights, but went to the wrong one, fell down a hole, screen had just enough time to flash "Tomb of the Giants" before I finally hit land and died.

gently caress that.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Hmm, probably not. I suppose I'll restart. :(

Restarting would be the best idea probably, though there is a cleric at Firelink Shrine(the starting area) that sells talismans, alteratively you could do it the hardcore way and wait until you reach the Undead Parish and find the elevator that takes you back to Firelink Shrine and also enables you to take a sort-of hidden path to get back to the asylum.

Oh that's another thing, this game does the whole open world thing so unbelievably well, because parths tend to be really linear, up until certain points where they give you shortcuts that go back to areas you've already visited, so if you decide that you need to head to the opposite end of the world or just come back to a spot later on it won't take you an age to get there. I think that's the single thing I love the most about the game.

Also looking at the relatively poor state of the various wikis, I'm tempted to buy the guide and start a wiki of my own, thoughts?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the shitshow that was The Catacombs, Pinwheel went down like a little bitch.

Then I tried to follow the colored lights, but went to the wrong one, fell down a hole, screen had just enough time to flash "Tomb of the Giants" before I finally hit land and died.

gently caress that.

That exact same scenario happened to me so I never went back until I got the light spell, I then proceeded to die to the boss down there and that is A SUPER BULLSHIT FIGHT.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
G.I. Jaw, some of the broken pillars along the edge of the cliff can be used to break line of sight, meaning he won't use his ranged attack and will instead try to close the space, because he knows you're there, but he can't see you so he won't attack, even though an attack would still hit you.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

G.I. Jaw posted:

So I've sort of hit a brick wall with this SL1 playthrough and I'm hoping someone may have an answer.

Is there a way to get within melee range of Ceaseless Discharge without him raping you with his fire attack at least once? I only have 14 end or whatever the pyromancer starts with, so I cannot sprint all the way across the room in one go. I have to run and let it recharge a bit in between, but five times now he has just decided I was too far to try and melee and uses his fire attack, three times I was actually right in his face and he did it anyway.

This was a huge pain in the rear end on my first playthrough, but I at least had the hp to survive a few blasts prior to the actual fight. I'm afraid I may be hosed.

If you can try and get into the path on your right that acts as a shortcut he won't use his fire attack if you manage to get in there, then you can go melee him after he slams or just attack his hand after he slams.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

G.I. Jaw posted:

I just beat him with my level 15 pyromancer. I had four points in vit which you don't have, but it should still be doable. I was using the gold hemmed robes and dong knight's ring, along with the fire resistance ring. Run fast and resist fire, I figure. I've normally been wearing Smeough's armor, but for that fight you obviously need some running.

Basically, you'll generally need to be blocking that fire blast attack, especially if you are close. It is blockable. He makes a roaring sort of sound before he does it, so when you hear that turn around and put up your shield.

He won't come to the insta-kill ledge unless you actually run to him again, so you are going to need to dash by his rear end.

I know it is tough, but he should be beatable at CL1.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I'm so glad they patched out curse stacking. I finally got my cursed rear end out of Ash Lake and the Great Hallow. gently caress Basilisks forever.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Oh also, when I got to gwyn on my NG, he owned me a bit, so running through those dark knights I was able to get multiples of everything except for the Dark Knight Greataxe which I got none of. :downs:

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the advice!

I actually ended up completely forgetting I had Flash Sweat as a pyromancer. That and a dragon crest shield saved me.

... of course then I tried hitting him with Fire Whip, and no surprise, he's immune to fire! (I don't know why I didn't just assume that immediately!)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Just had the best cat ring invasion ever. Ran around for like 15 minutes, couldnt find the guy. So I chill out next to all the NPCs and just do something else. Every once in a while I look up to see if the guy is coming to gank me but nothing. Then another guy shows up. I shrug and point around trying to say 'Who fuckin knows?' So he runs around for like 30 minutes. I finish what I am doing and point somewhere and start running. We are going together and circle back around to the beginning area. I start hacking trees. One of the trees comes to life and changes back into the player. He was disguised as a shrub the entire time. He had some crazy fat armor and was pretty beastly, but eventually we kicked him off the cliff.

Also had another one of those gang bang sessions with a golden summon where they camped all the invader spawns. I finally escaped upon spawning and ran down the ladder next to the river. I waited there for like an hour when finally the golden summon climbs down and squeeks by the ledge to where I am hiding. Kicked him right into the river. Would have had the host too but he got some laggy hit on me where it took all my life despite my shield being up :\

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

G.I. Jaw posted:

The best way to handle those crawling skeletons is to use a shield and spear, so you can still stab them while they're doing their bullshit crazy attack. Using a Fire Spear +10, I was able to drop them in three hits. The best thing to do is creep up until they start their attack animation, and immediately begin backing off. Either they're going to leap forward with their big swing, leaving them open to a few hits, or do the crazy attack, which you will only catch the tail end of if you're backing up right as they start it.

Welp, guess I'll go grind some spear-upgrading materials. I've been pretty lacking in defensive offense, so I suppose it had to happen eventually. At least it won't be the Tomb of the Giants for a change. Thanks for the advice.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You think multiplayer would be better if you could see someone's soul sign even as a hollow? But you would still have to be human to summon them.

Felk
Jun 25, 2011
Man, this game is great. I never thought it'd be this much better than Demon's Souls, they really outdid themselves!

I'm working on new sorcerer character after beating the game a couple days ago as a warrior build, and I see that magic is still really overpowered on bosses. I get how they were intending to limit effectiveness by using charges instead of MP, but I dunno, I find it's actually easier since I always have way more than enough casts and I don't have to use spices all the time.

deadtear posted:

I then proceeded to die to the boss down there and that is A SUPER BULLSHIT FIGHT.

I died my first time too, but he's actually really easy if you let him come to you and you've got a decent shield. Just get right up close to him and a lot of his attacks will swing over your head.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

I'm so glad they patched out curse stacking. I finally got my cursed rear end out of Ash Lake and the Great Hallow. gently caress Basilisks forever.

I only ever died to curses twice, once was when I came up against a lizard and got the input lag bug so I couldn't roll, and the other was from Seath.

I don't get what people's problems were with being cursed all the time, I had a friend of mine bitching a lot about dealing with them and only got cursed for the first time when I died to Seath, got cursed again on my NG+, but those two times were pretty bullshit and generally it seems really easy to not get cursed.

Speaking of bullshit status effects though, on NG+, the bloated hollows inside the painting emit toxic clouds that max out instantly instead of poison clouds that build up to about 60% before you can get away.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Felk posted:

I died my first time too, but he's actually really easy if you let him come to you and you've got a decent shield. Just get right up close to him and a lot of his attacks will swing over your head.

I was busy killing his skeletons and all the SCREAMING AAAAAAAAAAA death from below and then I warped out and didn't realize that the bonfire down there wasn't a warp back :(

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

G.I. Jaw posted:

Thanks for the advice!

I actually ended up completely forgetting I had Flash Sweat as a pyromancer. That and a dragon crest shield saved me.

... of course then I tried hitting him with Fire Whip, and no surprise, he's immune to fire! (I don't know why I didn't just assume that immediately!)
Ha, yeah, that shouldn't be a surprise.

I just downed Sif too, and you shouldn't have any problem with that. I think I have one point in endurance, and I was able to block the double swing (just barely!) with a +10 hollow shield. Like the capra demon, Sif is mostly a shield check. If you can block without guard breaking you win. If you can't, gently caress you.

And like you said, it is stupid how easy pyromancy is. You really aren't kidding when you say that the CL1 pyromancy run is easier than a normal weapon fighter. It really is. People say that lightning weapons are strong, but pyromancy smokes them. I basically only use my +4 lightning spear to finish off weaklings I don't care enough to blast. It can't match combustion, let alone great combustion.

It is kind of why I am really unsure of where to take this character. I like the idea of going into giant gently caress-off weapons and two-handing them, but I know that in practice, it probably won't be as useful as just continuing to cast pyromancy. I could take up sorcery, which many goons on here have said is extremely powerful, but I am having a tough time getting excited over it. It doesn't seem as cool as swinging around Smough's hammer.

I really hope that the patch fixes the scaling issues. I want wielding a giant +15 strength scaling weapon to be a more viable choice.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 15, 2011

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

LorentzViolator posted:

As you go through the tomb before the Titanite Demon tomb, you can see him hiding high up. If that's not the one that controls them, then the last one is in the Titanite Demon tomb in a room leading horizontally off from the pit containing two skeletons. He is protected by two skeleton archers. Hope this helps!

Pretty sure the necromancers don't actually control the undead, as I know I've killed all of them. Yet, skeletons that didn't used to resurrect after 10 seconds, now do. Still, once you get killed a few (20) times in the Catacombs, you learn the fast dropping/jumping route to Pinwheel's area. And those skeletons just run after you and die.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Anor Lando snipers :emo:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I'm pretty drat sure I just got summoned into an NG+ guy's game at SL28, because he had magic that he shouldn't have at that level and the stump of the gaping dragon's tail oneshotted me.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Psyker posted:

I had trouble with them until I decided to just go balls-out and run right at them! I've seen goons post strategies and stuff and actually dissect the encounter tactically, but I think it works just fine if you scream "gently caress you" and sprint.

IconicIronic
Jun 15, 2008

Psyker posted:

All I can say is that a good shield + decent stamina makes that part really easy. They only drained my stamina when really close, and at that point they couldn't both attack me. Heck, they both died by falling off after attacking me with their swords.

But yeah, annoyingly, you're kinda screwed when trying to get on the initial walkway, or even approaching them once you do, without a good shield and END.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

doomfunk posted:

I had trouble with them until I decided to just go balls-out and run right at them! I've seen goons post strategies and stuff and actually dissect the encounter tactically, but I think it works just fine if you scream "gently caress you" and sprint.

That's what I did. Then I turned towards the right one because gently caress-if-i-know-where-i'm-going, and he whipped some big rear end sword out and hit me into the wall, then off the ledge.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Vatek posted:

I'm pretty drat sure I just got summoned into an NG+ guy's game at SL28, because he had magic that he shouldn't have at that level and the stump of the gaping dragon's tail oneshotted me.

Are you in the Way of White or that other one(warrior of sunlight?) that is supposed to be good for getting summoned?

I think WoW was supposed to make it easier to join other players on top of the miracle powerup thing?

If the latter ignores SL then I think I know which covenant I'm going to settle on after I get my goodies from the other groups.

Felk
Jun 25, 2011

deadtear posted:

I was busy killing his skeletons and all the SCREAMING AAAAAAAAAAA death from below and then I warped out and didn't realize that the bonfire down there wasn't a warp back :(

Haha yeah, after dropping down I heard the scream and I was like "Holy poo poo wtf" then got impaled and freaked the gently caress out and proceeded to run around the area like a chicken with it's head cut off. Needless to say I didn't last long after I had EVERY enemy following me.

Speaking about undead, I think the problem with skeletons getting back up is that they need to be killed with a Divine weapon to stay down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

lohli posted:

I only ever died to curses twice, once was when I came up against a lizard and got the input lag bug so I couldn't roll, and the other was from Seath.

I don't get what people's problems were with being cursed all the time, I had a friend of mine bitching a lot about dealing with them and only got cursed for the first time when I died to Seath, got cursed again on my NG+, but those two times were pretty bullshit and generally it seems really easy to not get cursed.

Speaking of bullshit status effects though, on NG+, the bloated hollows inside the painting emit toxic clouds that max out instantly instead of poison clouds that build up to about 60% before you can get away.

Maybe it's because I always run around with 0 humanity and my curse res is near nil at that point.

• Locked thread