Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

cobalt impurity posted:

Well if she had one or two already and it took her two hours to be inconvenienced enough to try and return it, it probably wasn't the manufacturer's fault. It's like when someone leaves a store, then comes back claiming they got the incorrect change. If it's true, it's unfortunate, but it's also something someone would try to do to scam the company out of money/product.

And taken on a case by case basis.

I bought a bottle of Amaretto a few years ago at a liquor store attached to a grocery store. After buying it I went to pick up a few things at the gocery store and dropped the amaretto. It was "special circumstances" that I got a replacement because the normal policy was once someone left a liquor store there was no replacement of broken product, but I was still technically in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Blue_monday posted:

And taken on a case by case basis.

I bought a bottle of Amaretto a few years ago at a liquor store attached to a grocery store. After buying it I went to pick up a few things at the gocery store and dropped the amaretto. It was "special circumstances" that I got a replacement because the normal policy was once someone left a liquor store there was no replacement of broken product, but I was still technically in the store.

How is it the liquor store's fault you dropped it, and why should they now be burdened with your mistake? If the bottle had a manufacture flaw that caused it to explode in your hands and the store associates could see that, then it's perfectly reasonable to replace it, but if it's your fault, why should they give you a new bottle?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

cobalt impurity posted:

How is it the liquor store's fault you dropped it, and why should they now be burdened with your mistake? If the bottle had a manufacture flaw that caused it to explode in your hands and the store associates could see that, then it's perfectly reasonable to replace it, but if it's your fault, why should they give you a new bottle?

Seriously. I was at a liquor store the other month on a bike and I mistied the bag and bam, goodbye $30 of good beer. Did I whine about it? Well, not to the store employees.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

Because you may be a good customer and they feel sorry for you, and they're doing something nice as a one time gesture? Seriously what the hell is the deal with going up and apologizing and asking if something can be done? If you can't, oh well, but if you can, hooray! Not every bloody person is out to get a freebie all the time.

I've been a klutz and sometimes a nice vendor's replaced my item and sometimes they haven't. There's no harm in asking.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

cobalt impurity posted:

Nobody said it's the liquor store's fault, but like many businesses the liquor store has chosen the policy of "make sure the customer leaves the store happy, and if we can possibly turn a bad situation into a good one that will stick out in the customer's mind, do it." As long as he isn't being an rear end about it, no retail drones are inconvenienced, customer is happy, corporate is happy to eat a tiny profit for a happy customer whose opinion of the store has been raised, ta-da.

I know if my manager watched someone accidentally drop something on their way out the door she would fall over herself to get the customer a new one. "Oh my gosh that sucked and I was so bummed, thank you so much - wow they sure are nice here! I'll be sure come again multiple times (and pay more profit than that broken thing would have ever brought!)" Retailers who don't do this are probably hurting in comparison to those that do. It kind of sucks if someone's a douche about it, but returning customers' purchases are funding our pay so what can you do?

I have an interview with a recruiter for non-retail tomorrow! I suspect it's a form of a call center, but it doesn't sound too hellish - no sales, mostly account support, it pays almost twice as much as I get here, M-F 8-5 40hr weeks with occasional overtime, and I probably get to sit down! Soooooo wish me luck?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I understand the store not minding to eat the cost, and even employees going out of their way to replace the damaged product, but I can't even imagine the mindset of dropping something entirely by my own fault, then going to ask for a new one. If I damaged my own items after purchasing them I wouldn't even think of getting the store involved.

Maybe I've just worked for corporations for too long?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to "you break it, you buy it?"

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
My excahnge with the liquor store was "HI, the bottle of amaretto i just bought broke in the gorcery store, I have the receipt and bought it about 10 minutes ago. I was wondering if I could get a new one?"
"sure you can, I just need to go take a look at where it was dropped to make sure and I'll give you another bottle. Normally we will not replace products if they're outside of the store but where it was in the grocery store I dont see any problem with it". The entire excahnge took 5 minutes and I was really polite.

Every place I've ever worked has had the policy that if a customer drops a product they have paid for in store to replace it free of charge.

Never hurts to ask

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Any grocery store employees have an issue where you're trying to buy something in the store while in uniform and customers think it's ok to skip you or sometimes even completely push you out of line? It happens to me ALL THE TIME and I don't understand the mentality behind it.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

baquerd posted:

What ever happened to "you break it, you buy it?"

That's not what's being talked about. We're talking about "You bought it, you break it, you go back to the retailer and explain the situation, retailer decided whether or not to reimburse you or refuse to".

I had people accidentally break things all the time in Sears. We didn't charge them for it; all we did was discount the item by whatever portion was broken. So if 1 of 4 glasses was broken, we'd discount 25% plus any sale that was on. poo poo is so cheap these days that it's better to just let the customer go than to force them to pay and possibly make them not want to come back. It literally just comes down to what you break and where you break it and WHEN you break it.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
All I've ever klutzed was comp'ed in the store if I did it there. (No booze, but I've lost a couple gallons of milk that way, and most recently a quart bottle of applejuice - which was at my usual 7-11, and since there was only the one guy on register, I snagged his mop bucket and did a quick cleaning just so it wouldn't be totally disgusting and sticky. Put out the wet-floor sign as well.)

If I fumble something in the parking lot, though, I'm poo poo outta luck, and expect it to be so. Hell, the few in-store fuckups I never *asked* for anything, they popped up offering before I could finish snarling at my own delicious buttery fingers...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I would just appreciate it if our foreign customers had the good sense to lock the fitting room doors.

I am so sick of seeing naked Japanese bush. And I LIVED in Japan for two years; you lock your own loving door in the fitting rooms.

Also, I mentioned to a customer that I used to be a teacher (of English, in Japan, and thus not like a licensed teacher or anything). Another customer came up to me a few minutes later and said in a hushed, shocked voice, "I'm sorry, I heard that you used to be a TEACHER? What HAPPENED?"

I should have hosed with her and mentioned Vili Fualaau, but I just sighed imperceptibly and pointed out that the t-shirts she was pawing were on sale.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

silversiren posted:

Any grocery store employees have an issue where you're trying to buy something in the store while in uniform and customers think it's ok to skip you or sometimes even completely push you out of line? It happens to me ALL THE TIME and I don't understand the mentality behind it.

I'd have to assume these are the same self-entitled people who would treat you as subhuman in any other retail interaction. If they're doing that to you in line imagine what they'd be like trying to return something without a receipt.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

bringmyfishback posted:

I would just appreciate it if our foreign customers had the good sense to lock the fitting room doors.

I am so sick of seeing naked Japanese bush. And I LIVED in Japan for two years; you lock your own loving door in the fitting rooms.

Wait, wait, wait. Where do you work that customers are stripping down completely naked? Are they trying on bathing suits? Underwear? Your store lets people try on underwear?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

rolleyes posted:

I'd have to assume these are the same self-entitled people who would treat you as subhuman in any other retail interaction. If they're doing that to you in line imagine what they'd be like trying to return something without a receipt.

At least we aren't allowed to do refunds at the registers, we have to send them up to customer service so they can deal with it up there. Win if it's someone behind the counter you don't like, lose because usually it isn't. :smith:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Why do I keep volunteering for poo poo? This time it was even my idea. Our head maintenance guy has been out of the picture for a while due to knee surgery and we finally got in a shipment of lights that was not broken. Stupidly me and a friend offer to put them up.

So I worked 11 am to 8 pm today. I go back in at 10:30 to do this project. Scissor lift can not really get around the pallets of freight, so its me and a friend hauling the ladder around and me climbing up to take out old bulbs and out in the new.

Four boxes of 15 count bulbs. 60 new bulbs went out and 80 old ones came down. Some of the lighting fixtures being broken them selves or to loose for me to trust replacing the bulbs.

I need to stop trying to help. I will get thanked up down and side ways and get extra hours, but it wont effect my evaluation and it wont effect the raise I get when my next evaluation hits. Problem is I want to help, some part of me still thinks it will help out in the end. It will be beaten out of me soon enough, till then. :smith:

Little old lady did give me a hug though for carrying her stuff to her car so. :unsmith:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I have another one, I was working as a RadioShack sales associate when an angry, entitled, horrible smelling woman comes in and demands I return her TV remote.

For some reason she thought she had to curse, scream and pitch a tantrum before I had even said a word.

She throws the remote down on the counter and tries to shove a receipt in my face. I take a look at the receipt and see that its 1 day over the 90 day limit. Since she was acting so terribly I wasn't willing to do anything more than stick to policy.

"Sorry ma'am I can't return this, its over the 90-day limit, I can give you an exchange for it."

I don't think I've seen mentally unstable people act out as that woman did after I said that. She was acting so bad OTHER customers called the cops on her. Her friend had to drag her out of the store and the other customers looked very relieved as she was removed from the store.

I don't get why customers think that working retail means its okay to treat the person like trash. If she had been nice I would have had no problem doing the exchange for her, but I'm only paid minimum wage so I'm not dealing with that crap.

TL;DR Woman comes in screaming bloody murder for me to return something company policies say not to. I refuse, she pitches the tantrum of the century, and other customers call cops on her.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
This is quite a compilation we have here.

I'd like to offer an opposing viewpoint. Working in retail was the best job I had so far.
Admittedly, the others were a) wage slave at the local Burger King (best experience: A coworker tells me to stop using such hard words :saddowns:) and b) paper route; also I have the ability to put on a 'customer service' persona which consists of an veneer of smile and nod over a core of Not-giving-a-gently caress but nevertheless, it was splendid.

I got a break in a nice employee room for shifts over 6 hours which I didn't have to stamp out for, five days of paid vacation and the largest salary I've had so far. Overtime, whilst not paid, was taken off your workload somewhen else, which meant that I had the last three weeks of my summer off. Best of all, however, my coworkers, superiors and customers just were all really nice people. And I was treated as an actual human being (remember: previous job: Burger King. I could well fit in with 'Reasons I no longer desire to work in fast food'.)

The very best part of my job was that I got to use the pneumo system - we have an actual pneumatic tube system between the registers and the cash office, so whenever I needed to get change or a bill checked, I got to call the office, get a tube shot my way and then watch it rocket off again. Never got old.

I got to apply my applicable skill (native-speaker level english) as we have a couple of camps of british troops nearby, and they were always pleased to be addressed in their native tongue. I also got to troll people who wanted to buy alcohol and looked under 18. (It's legally required we check, and they always came in five minutes before we close for the day, at quarter to gently caress). I once had a guy trying to get me to accept a high school ID.

Serving customers was pretty fun for me - I was able to ring them up speedily and have a chat at the same time; usually, about what they were doing with the stuff they're buying. If I had a grumpy person, I'd see how fast I could ring them through (without damaging their things). If I had an elderly lady/man or someone who had to go to one of the balances near the checkout area to weigh out their produce (our competitors have barcode scanners with integrated balances, but our company feels those fail too often), I'd start putting some of their items into their basket for them.

And best of all, they noticed and thanked me. I got many people saying that I was delivering good service or that I was different from my coworkers (which I didn't think, but I guess I wouldn't have been able to keep that level of service up for years, either). I also got one guy saying "You haven't been here long, have you?". We don't have any sort of commission thing, so I didn't get any physical benefit aside from warm fuzzies, but it was still nice. :3:

The only complaint I got was a legitimate one because I hosed up (I had a customer who looked like trouble so I wanted to get rid of her. She looked forever for her savings card. I saw it, and in a moment of pure :doh:, reached into her wallet to get it instead of telling her where it was, and predictably that didn't go over well. I ended up with a complaint on file over that one :downs:).

The only part of the job I hated was when Management decided to hand out a marble per 15€ of shopping people do.
loving marbles.
° We had to sign every receipt when we gave them out, because some kids went around with one from register to register, telling the personnel they didn't get theirs.
° They set up two different swap meets, and people flocked to them which meant I had to concentrate on giving exact change whilst a shouty flea market raged around me.
° When our final stock of them ran low, we were supposed to stop asking people if they wanted them (though I'd gotten into the habit of just handing them out) and almost every customer immediately went :nyd: 'And my marbles?' in a hilariously offended and condescending tone.
° In fact, people went completely batshit over pockmarked 5ct glass balls 'Made in China' with a lovely smiley printed on them - I had a guy buy a lawn mower, "for the marbles" (and the way he acted, I believed him :stare:), I had an elderly customer loose his poo poo and call me a liar and ripoff for refusing to round his 14.XX purchase up to 15 so he'd get one, and even once we'd take down all the decoration (most of which had the dates of the promotion on them) I had the pleasure of telling people that, no, the promotion stopped four weeks ago. :fuckoff:

Best moment working in retail was this:
We have a loyalty program, where for every 5€ you shop for, you get a 'Loyalty' Point; the word used for 'Loyalty', in my language, means both that and 'faithfulness' (as in between married partners or lovers).
I had a customer come in late in the evening with nothing but a bottle of red wine and a box of condoms, and when I asked her if she wanted 'Faithfulness' Points, she erupted into laughter.

Runners-up:
° Once, I returned from my break to find my replacement sit in front of the register. Two bros and a girl in front of her waiting impatiently. They'd bought a mild drink each (about 1.29 per item) and paid with a 500€ bill (all bills over 100 must be checked in the office, all over 50 quickly at the till).
° Similarly, once I had an elderly man pay for... something with a €500. The second I put in up the tube, he flips out and yells at me, asking how dare I spirit away his money, accusing me of switching it out and not being a transparent process and whatnot. He ended up demanding to see a manager, and my superior explained to him patiently that his concerns were stupid. (Not in those exact words, obviously). The next customer in line then asked me how I'd managed to keep being polite to that guy.
° At the end of her huge amount of shopping, a lady's card is rejected. She asks if she can quickly go to the ATM (we have one right in the foyer) and get some money. I agree, she takes her toddler on her arm, and I never see her again. Had to call my super to get the entire transaction cancelled.
°One guy bought stuff for about ~350€, and paid it in 5€ bills.
°One guy had only a carton of eggs. And something very square under his shirt. Sadly, the super on duty was female, short and very pregnant, so she couldn't give chase. At least I learned proper procedure that day (Call one of our huge male employees).

With a bit of time, I think I'd have more.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
If you worked retail in the United States, you would definitely never want to work retail again.

Things were going fairly smoothly where I work, then we were sent Thanksgiving crap couple days ago when there is no where to put it! In the past, they always sent this stuff to us the last week of October. Unfortunately the company is offloading their warehouses over two weeks earlier. It wouldn't be so bad under normal circumstances, but there are many issues due to remodeling being done.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

The restaurant I work at closes at 9:30. At about 9:15, this woman came in and said she was waiting on someone. At about 9:20, he gets there, and they proceed to argue until 10:30 about how he wants a divorce and she doesn't. No, it wasn't awkward at all waiting on them. Jesus Christ, I'm used to people coming in at 9:29 and having to stay late but that was just ridiculous.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Coconut Indian posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Where do you work that customers are stripping down completely naked? Are they trying on bathing suits? Underwear? Your store lets people try on underwear?

I don't know why she was totally bottomless; I work at the Gap and mostly we sell cowlneck tops and jeggings. Not necessary to remove the undergarments.

Unfortunately, we don't prevent people from trying on underwear, which I think is beyond revolting and why I don't use my 50% discount at Gap Body.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I guess being a game clerk also makes me tech support, and boy howdy do I get some inane phone calls. I actually sat there and walked a pair of idiot preteens through setting up their rock band drum set, mostly the part where they put the legs together.

Speaking of fantastic phone calls, I got one of my least favorite regulars call in looking for a game, but as I rummaging for it he broke into whistles and screeched out "help help!" in falsetto. "Shut up, you! That durn bird is gonna get me in trouble one of these days!" :haw:

gently caress you, I know perfectly well what an rear end in a top hat bird sounds like shrieking painfully in my ear, and that was just plain old rear end in a top hat. Guess what? NOT FUNNY.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Coconut Indian posted:

Are they trying on bathing suits? Underwear? Your store lets people try on underwear?
Aw, you're just too cute. :3: Working the lingerie department over the years I've found panties with globs of, um, feminine fluid, period smears... :barf:

I'M PUTTING MY 2 WEEKS NOTICE IN TODAY! 6.2 years of retail and I get to finally bail! I'm not going to outright quit yet, I'm going to just adjust my availability to one Sunday a month (the lowest they let you) to keep the employee discount and see my friends. On the other hand, depending on which job I take (got one offer, and waiting on a 2nd interview at another), I could be joining the Call Center Rants crew. But I wouldn't be telemarketing or doing sales or anything so hopefully not! And even if I do I'll be making twice as much for it and have consistent normal day-job hours! :woop:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I applied for a Job at Best Buy, just wanting to be a cashier, just to get myself on my feet and out of my parents house. After my first interview with one of the supervisors he said he wants me working computer and electronic sales. After my second interview today with the General Manager, I'm going to be working Geek Squad.

I know that there are goons here who work at or have worked at a Geek Squad. What should I expect working there? Does it absolutely suck to the point that fast food is a better alternative? How knowledgeable do they expect you to be at computers: "This is that and here is how you get rid of a virus?" or "We need to re-write the code for this program to get your CD-Driver working again?" I was a Computer Forensics Minor in college so I do know a good deal, but obviously not as much as someone who went to school for I.T or Computer Science.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Expect them to expect you to be Computer Jesus who can immediately diagnose their computer upon seeing them walking up with it, from what I've been able to tell in this thread so far.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I wouldn't worry about not knowing enough. Most of the time you will be dealing with fools and your job would be to part them from their money. Just keep in mind the metrics that your boss cares about is how much revenue you brought in.

Most people that go to Geek Squad know nothing about computers, so you will be doing very basic tasks (no programming, just installation of software/hardware). The most complex things will probably include backing up someone's data, or removing viruses, but they have all the tools in-house for you to do it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/14/shock-video-savage-attack-at-manhattan-mcdonalds/

This guy lived the dream. :911:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Yeah dude, a convicted felon with a violent past sure is living the dream of assaulting someone with a weapon. :psyduck:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Chicken Doodle posted:

Yeah dude, a convicted felon with a violent past sure is living the dream of assaulting someone with a weapon. :psyduck:

Two people! :thumbsup:
This story is just full of bad people... Awful.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

Two people! :thumbsup:
This story is just full of bad people... Awful.

I know how comments on news sites usually are, but man, the bad people don't end at the story here. Christ.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

BigRed0427 posted:

I know that there are goons here who work at or have worked at a Geek Squad. What should I expect working there?

I spent one of the worst years of my working career in the Squad. Here's a few pointers:

-Snag yourself a CD case from store stock your first couple weeks. (Ask your supervisor first, they have to record all pulls from stock.) Put your name on it with some masking tape and a Sharpie. Burn off several copies of the Windows OEM discs your store uses for system restores (remember you will need several versions; probably XP, Vista, 7), as well as the Geek Squad Diagnostic CD (it was called MRI when I was there, no idea if it still is). You want multiples so you can work several machines at once. You want your own case because otherwise you'll never be able to find a drat XP install disc.

-Get yourself a USB thumb drive as well. If your shop won't spot you one, just get a cheap-rear end one for like 5 bucks, you don't need a ton of space. This thumb drive is for work. It will be connecting to some of the most amazingly infected computers in existence. Never, ever, ever plug that thumb drive into a computer you care about. Use it for small diagnostic programs, file transfers, loading drivers on to customer machines etc.

-This one will sound weird, but you'll thank me the first time you have to work on a smoker's computer; hide or carry a pair of rubber gloves and one of those face masks you can get cheap at the Home Depot. You will work on computers that have rested hidden in corners and under desks for years, or that have had two-pack-a-day smokers puffing into the intakes for years. Your sinuses will thank you if you can keep the dust, tar, dirt, and other pollutants out. You may not need the mask every time (maybe never), but when that shitbox rolls in and your dick supervisor tells you you're working on it, you will be glad you have it.

-When you get your uniform order sheet, make sure to order a spare tie/tie pin if possible. (Your store may do that by default.) Hide the spare in your car or in the shop. You WILL forget your tie at some point. If you're lucky, your guys already have a communal tie stash.

Bank posted:

I wouldn't worry about not knowing enough. Most of the time you will be dealing with fools and your job would be to part them from their money. Just keep in mind the metrics that your boss cares about is how much revenue you brought in.

Most people that go to Geek Squad know nothing about computers, so you will be doing very basic tasks (no programming, just installation of software/hardware). The most complex things will probably include backing up someone's data, or removing viruses, but they have all the tools in-house for you to do it.

This man is 1000% correct. The software will do the majority of the work for you, and many computer hardware tasks are no more complex than assembling a Lego set. If you really want to over-study, you're basically looking at the knowledge that an A+ certification would give you. Your store may require you to get that cert to be considered for promotion anyway, so it might be worth looking into.

Enjoy! You're now ready to become Computer Jesus. Get ready to charge people $200 to pull data off their busted-rear end computers with a $10 piece of hardware and 10 minutes of actual work. :patriot:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It never ceases to amaze me when tourists cannot say "please" or "thank you" but they can always loving say "DISCOUNT!!!!!!"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Of course. "Give me money or I'll pitch a shitfit" is a universal statement, much like flipping the bird or putting your hands on their throat to choke the poo poo out of them at your throat when choking.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Today, I went to Wally World to pick up some components for my friend's Halloween costume; he's going as Cyclops and I have to make the visor.

I needed a plastic headband and something made from clear, red plastic.

I had spent like 20 minutes looking on my own. I'm shy, so I eventually caved and asked an employee. Not only did she take me right to the headband, she knew who Cyclops was and suggested a few things for the red plastic. I settled for the plastic top to a lasagna pan.

I thanked her and told her how excited my friend was going to be when I finished his costume and that she genuinely made my day.

By now, you've discovered that this isn't a horror story. Customer service works both ways. :)

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dodgeball posted:

By now, you've discovered that this isn't a horror story. Customer service works both ways. :)

Wait what? I think you're leaving out the part where you poo poo on the floor, or threw the change at the cashier or just got in a fight with a manager over lying about a price in order to get a discount.

Although whats even better customer service is when you are shopping in a completely different store and just start straightening up because that's what you do right? Gotta zone those aisles before you leave after all.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Fury1671 posted:

Although whats even better customer service is when you are shopping in a completely different store and just start straightening up because that's what you do right? Gotta zone those aisles before you leave after all.

Every. loving. Time.

I also have a feel-good story from a couple days ago. It was near the end of my shift, and even though I'm not a sales associate any more I still instinctively ask anyone I make eye contact with if they need any assistance. She needed help getting a custom wreath down, and then asked me about memorial ribbons to decorate it. It was to go on her father's grave. Since both florists were at lunch, I cut her a ribbon to go on it, and even attached it to the thing. When I was all done she seemed really pleased with how it turned out, and when she checked out she asked to see the manager so that she could tell her how helpful I was.

I've never had anyone do that before and it actually made my day. :unsmith:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Fury1671 posted:

I do this in clothing stores. I never leave a shirt unfolded after working in clothing retail for 2 years. Once someone thought I worked at the store because I was folding some shirts...

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Boy Scouts have been selling their popcorn outside our store for the past few days, so this comes up..
"You know why they gotta sell popcorn, dontcha? The gubmint won't give them any money because they let openly gay men teach the scouts. CAN'T SAY I BLAME THEM. AMIRITE?"
:smith:

copy of a fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 16, 2011

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I do this in clothing stores. I never leave a shirt unfolded after working in clothing retail for 2 years. Once someone thought I worked at the store because I was folding some shirts...

I find myself folding napkins to roll silverware when I go out to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uptown
May 16, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Ditto that. I was with my boyfriend when he was shopping for jeans, and I was finding him jeans and refolding/putting away the ones he didn't want - It wasn't a big store so I was placing everything perfectly because I know how much fun having a pile of crap to put away is. Anyways, a man asked me some question and without even a second thought, I responded with "I don't work here. I'm cleaning up after myself because I am polite."

---

I asked for a transfer to another store the other day. I really love my coworkers and the prestige that working at my store has (I work at H&M at West Edmonton Mall, we're very high volume and it's kind of a "big deal" store), but my store manager is a total bitch and I cannot stand her. Our old manager was transferred to one of the other locations in our city about 6 months ago, and I had been considering transferring since. Now that I've moved to a different part of the city, it's exactly the same amount of time to bus to his store as it is to mine, so why not. It'll be much lower volume, much lower stress, and he's not a bitch with no people skills.

Here is an example about how Store Manager Kyra (not her real name) is a terrible person:
A coworker is being literally emotionally abused by her parents, and can't afford to move out of her house. She came to work one morning and cried about how lovely her life is, and spoke with one of the other managers about it. Other manager spoke with Kyra about it, I assume out of concern for coworker's mental health (as well as job performance), and Kyra later pulled coworker aside later to tell her that "the managers are not your therapists" and that she needed to "buck up." What a monster. She has no people skills and no compassion.