Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thorias posted:

Just started up Persona 2: Innocent Sin, anything I should know?

Breathing techniques to relieve stress during the load times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Starting up Nocture. So far this game is awesome. Did I miss out on anything by picking Normal instead of Hard? Just stole the bill from Loki

Edit: Would sure be helpful if I read the drat OP. :negative: Ignore my stupid, stupid question.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

RadicalR posted:

Starting up Nocture. So far this game is awesome. Did I miss out on anything by picking Normal instead of Hard? Just stole the bill from Loki

Yes, but you mostly miss out on pain.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
So, there isn't anything like REALLY REALLY special on Hard? (Also, do I recall correctly that if I keep Pixie around in some shape or form, I get something out of it?)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No, you don't get anything special for playing on hard. And yeah, keep Pixie around in some form... you can fuse her off if you want (she'll always be at the top of the list), but don't sacrifice her or dismiss her or anything.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
You can sacrifice the Pixie, but just remember what you made from it. As long as you never dismiss her or do anything else that would remove her from your party (Not counting fusing of course), you're good.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nickoten posted:

You can sacrifice the Pixie, but just remember what you made from it. As long as you never dismiss her or do anything else that would remove her from your party (Not counting fusing of course), you're good.

No, you can fuse the Pixie, but I'm fairly certain using her as the third demon in a sacrificial fusion (the one that gets spiked) will break it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Why is pixie so important again? Someone put it in spoilers or something please (planning to play Nocturne, don't want to gently caress it up)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Why is pixie so important again? Someone put it in spoilers or something please (planning to play Nocturne, don't want to gently caress it up)

In the last Kalpa of the Amala Labyrinth theres a door that only opens if you send the demon you've had since the beginning (The Pixie obviously) and if you send them in, they turn back into a pixie (if they were fused into something else) but at a really high level with really good skills.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

In the last Kalpa of the Amala Labyrinth theres a door that only opens if you send the demon you've had since the beginning (The Pixie obviously) and if you send them in, they turn back into a pixie (if they were fused into something else) but at a really high level with really good skills.

Would you say it is worth it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

Honestly I wouldn't say It's worth doing all the Kalpas for (I usually skip them if I'm not doing that ending) But I never really felt restrained by keeping pixie around so if you're planning on doing the Kalpas anyways there's no reason not to.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I never even fused mine. When she got outclassed by other demons, I'd just keep her on the bench and use her to heal the party between battles. Worked out pretty well.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Thorias posted:

Fusion spells are your bestest friends. They hit hard and give mutations, like stat increases for your Personas, extra ranks, or hidden spells. You start with one that's single target and decent for bosses. Other useful ones:

Fire-Wind-Fire/Wind-Fire-Wind/Earth-Water-Earth/Water-Earth-Water make hit all spells in an element. With enough DEX you can ride this until the very end of the game. Set your other two characters to something like Low-End Breaker (Zanma-Hama, kill lowest level enemy) or a doubled elemental spell to weaken or clear out stragglers.

You can ride story Personas for most of the game. You really, really don't need to grind Tarot cards. Don't do it. Just chat when demons talk to you or when you really don't feel like fighting. Save up to get a few useful Personas instead of changing for every dungeon. A few useful, recommended Personas: LOVERS Pixie, for Garu and mega-LCK when she gets to level 8. HERMIT Nekomata has a good variety of skills for the early/midgame. DEATH Hel come in about the same time and can hit nearly every element in the game with a Zionga card. MOON Tsukuyomi comes in at the end of the game and has two buffing skills that make the final boss much easier.

Generally let your friends handle situations by themselves. But if you have the option to leave them behind, don't take it. Explore the cave of exposition thoroughly, you should have five key items by the end. These are the keys to making Philemon hand you upgrades. (which means not having to hit the Velvet Room, which means less grinding)

IS is an easy, easy game. Don't be surprised that you're cruising through. Upgrade your equipment when you need to, not every time you open a new store. Chill our and don't let your inner completionist get the best of you.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Magikoopa189 posted:

It's nice, not nearly as important as the hype behind it suggests

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

nachos posted:

It's nice, not nearly as important as the hype behind it suggests

I don't know if it's hype per se as it's based upon a) the assumption that someone playing this game is going to do all the kalpas at least until the point of no return, b) if you're going to want to do that, you're going to want to crack all the doors, and c) it's a nice return for not much inconvenience.

It's the difference between "yeah, don't sacrifice or dismiss that pixie, you'll get something good later" and "HOLY poo poo WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME TO KEEP THIS PIXIE". If someone's asking about what not to do to avoid sacrificing later benefit, the pixie pretty much needs to come up.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Thorias posted:

After pretty much every story event/dungeon, go around all the shops/locations and talk to everyone. Not an absolute necessity, but a lot of your party members' characterization is in those little conversations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I decided to play Devil Survivor again after getting stuck on Beldr earlier in the year. The problem is I have once again gotten stuck on this god drat rear end in a top hat, does anyone just have some tips or strategies to beat him?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Law posted:

So I decided to play Devil Survivor again after getting stuck on Beldr earlier in the year. The problem is I have once again gotten stuck on this god drat rear end in a top hat, does anyone just have some tips or strategies to beat him?

Don't kill the head of his minion groups, or he'll end up reviving them.

Make sure your MC has... oh, 10 STR or so for an easy fight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Law posted:

Kishin + some demon with Evil/Chaos Wave on your MC. Create a perimeter around your MC with your allies to keep the other demons at bay (that way if you do kill them you'll have a better chance at taking them out again before he revives them and they heal him).

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
So I have been playing Nocturne. Fun stuff. I've been putting STR on the main guy - am I doing this wrong?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RadicalR posted:

So I have been playing Nocturne. Fun stuff. I've been putting STR on the main guy - am I doing this wrong?

Nah, strength is a pretty good stat in Nocturne. Focus + Lunge does some crazy damage and basically can carry you till the end game where all the REALLY good strength based attacks open up.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Yay - too bad I get to wait for my adapter to come in. PS3 decided that it doesn't want to play PS2 games anymore. (There's a lesson to be learned here folks!)

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Law posted:

I just stumbled upon this an hour ago. gently caress that guy. I mainly lost because I made some terrible decisions, but regardless of that, this battle is still a huge pain in the rear end. I think one of the issues I have is that I've put a single stat point into Strength, put enough in Agility to get it to 8, and have 22 Magic. I'm at level 27 and would feel a little silly grinding for a fight I should be prepared for, so I'm just going to keep playing it until I luck into victory.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

punchdaily posted:

I just stumbled upon this an hour ago. gently caress that guy. I mainly lost because I made some terrible decisions, but regardless of that, this battle is still a huge pain in the rear end. I think one of the issues I have is that I've put a single stat point into Strength, put enough in Agility to get it to 8, and have 22 Magic. I'm at level 27 and would feel a little silly grinding for a fight I should be prepared for, so I'm just going to keep playing it until I luck into victory.

Just equip Anti-Fire and have a demon that can heal in the MC's party but isn't weak to Fire or Phys. Apart from that, the map's mostly an exercise in actually getting to Beldr so you can hit him a lot.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could have sworn that Strength didn't actually make you deal more damage in the Beldr fight at all.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Nate RFB posted:

I could have sworn that Strength didn't actually make you deal more damage in the Beldr fight at all.

Nope. Your attacks against Beldr are based on your physical stat. If you've been gimping it, you're in for a slog of a fight.

(I took him out in one round once with a NG+/grind/all-STR combo.)

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

punchdaily posted:

I just stumbled upon this an hour ago. gently caress that guy.

My MC is was mostly magic, but my Agility was high enough I always had an extra turn. My Demons were Silky for healing, and Nalagiri to attack twice. Of course, I had them about the 5th time I tried that battle, but they worked for me.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Pureauthor posted:

Don't kill the head of his minion groups, or he'll end up reviving them.

Make sure your MC has... oh, 10 STR or so for an easy fight.

So I decided to just go with this, got a pair of Jacks charming my MC and the rest of the party just distracting all of the other demons. I won, just barely. The rest of my party was dead and my MC was on maybe 5hp. So thanks for the tips. :)

Also I totally found an untranslated line in day 4.

e: Couple of questions before I carry on though: Does agility affect the turn order outside of combat or just in combat? Also do you get more exp for taking out the demons wingmen before taking out the leader?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2011

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Law posted:

e: Couple of questions before I carry on though: Does agility affect the turn order outside of combat or just in combat? Also do you get more exp for taking out the demons wingmen before taking out the leader?

Only in combat. How fast your turn gauge empties outside of combat is based on your Speed stat, which is fixed for each character (except the main character, who gets a small permanent one-time Speed boost for defeating Beldr and another one in NG+).

You do get more experience if you can defeat all enemies in a group: if you kill only the leader, you'll get half experience from the surviving allies.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Thuryl posted:

Only in combat. How fast your turn gauge empties outside of combat is based on your Speed stat, which is fixed for each character (except the main character, who gets a small permanent one-time Speed boost for defeating Beldr and another one in NG+).

You do get more experience if you can defeat all enemies in a group: if you kill only the leader, you'll get half experience from the surviving allies.

Okay cheers, good to know I haven't been completely screwing myself over.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I started up SMT 2. I've played Persona 2 and 3, and a bit of Digital Devil Saga, but this is my first mainline SMT game. Unfortunately there aren't any good guides on gamefaqs. In fact, the only one is primarily a translation guide. Has anyone that has played it give me some starting-off tips? I went to the tournament once, and got my rear end kicked by Red Bear. I need more healing items, and demons, I suppose, but grinding for money is slow and while I've been able to pick up Knocker and High Pixie, the Poltergeists elude me. What's more is that I'm pretty unclear on what many items in the shops do, considering that the translation format restricts the number of characters for item names, and what does appear is kind of cryptic. Maybe someone could tell me what some of the more useful items are called. Also, what stats should I be putting points into? So far it's mostly been Strength, Speed, and Endurance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The Beldr fight wasn't that bad for me when I played on Overclocked. For some reason, every single one of my attacks did a critical, getting me an extra turn (and often nullifying his, if he had one). I killed all the enemies, then killed him before he could even revive them, and that's with an MC with a single point of STR. I had a healer right next to my MC the entire time.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I just replayed Survivor and totally gimped my strength stat since I forgot about Beldr. Turns out it still wasn't that hard as long as my friends kept the other demons under control.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

I started up SMT 2. I've played Persona 2 and 3, and a bit of Digital Devil Saga, but this is my first mainline SMT game. Unfortunately there aren't any good guides on gamefaqs. In fact, the only one is primarily a translation guide. Has anyone that has played it give me some starting-off tips? I went to the tournament once, and got my rear end kicked by Red Bear. I need more healing items, and demons, I suppose, but grinding for money is slow and while I've been able to pick up Knocker and High Pixie, the Poltergeists elude me. What's more is that I'm pretty unclear on what many items in the shops do, considering that the translation format restricts the number of characters for item names, and what does appear is kind of cryptic. Maybe someone could tell me what some of the more useful items are called. Also, what stats should I be putting points into? So far it's mostly been Strength, Speed, and Endurance.

Red Bear is purely a question of levels; you're supposed to use the various trainers a bit before taking him on. There's a dude in the bar in the first "town" that you can talk to, who will size you up and tell you how you stack up against him. It doesn't take much to get strong enough; it's really a question of like one or two levels and you'll mop up the floor with him.

In terms of stats the ones you're building are the probably the best for the main character, supplemented by Intelligence. High intelligence helps with demon negotiations, and there's one dungeon you can't get into without a minimum amount of Intelligence. (but it's really low)

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

The Beldr fight wasn't that bad for me when I played on Overclocked. For some reason, every single one of my attacks did a critical, getting me an extra turn (and often nullifying his, if he had one). I killed all the enemies, then killed him before he could even revive them, and that's with an MC with a single point of STR. I had a healer right next to my MC the entire time.

Sounds like you planned it out a little better than I did. My last few turns in that battle were leading all the other enemies away from Beldr and Hero while Keisuke ran in a circle, just out of their reach. Beldr had 3 HP left or something negligible, so I was freaking out that the last hit wouldn't connect, like it hadn't in the last battle which lead to my fourth or fifth death. Really difficult but ultimately satisfying. Now I can go back to magicing people into oblivion again.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Um... Ascii Media Works is gonna be publishing a monthly magazine called PM (Persona Magazine), starting next month.

From Siliconera:

quote:

Atlus are pushing Persona in a big way in Japan. Starting next month, Japanese publisher, ASCII Media Works, will launch a monthly Persona Magazine starting on November 7th. The first issue will include a 16-page feature on Persona 4 The Animation, including an interview with the director.

A regular column in the magazine will also flesh out the world, characters and game systems of the Persona series. Naturally, the magazine will also contain information on upcoming titles such as Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena and Persona 4: The Golden.

A Dengeki Online report translated by Anime News Network also reveals that the Persona 3 manga that was serialized in Dengeki Black Maoh magazine will be featured in the Persona Magazine as well. Additionally, a spin-off of the ongoing Persona 4 manga will be included in the magazine as well.

I guess it'll be like Persona World Guidance, except covering Persona 3 and onward. It appears that it will be exclusively for Persona 3 and onward.

In addition to what Siliconera says, it'll also contain exclusive fanart every month. The first issue will have art by artists named Kazuaki (カズアキ) and Sarachiomi (さらちよみ). You can GIS those names and see samples of their work. The first issue comes with folders that have P4 characters on them.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Oh, goddamnit.

Looks like I gotta hit up my contact to get me those magazines.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Oh poo poo. I really want those now, especially if they'll finally finish the P3 manga in it since I don't think it ever got completed after they cancelled that one dengeki magazine it was in (not the same one P4 is in though). A spin off manga of the P4 manga interests me too, especially if Sogabe is doing it. His art for the series is great.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Looks like my contact and I have come to an agreement. I'll be getting these monthly now. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Scan them monthly too. :v: