Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
gently caress the poo poo targetting on this game. 15 minute battle with O&S, O was on his way out after picking at him with my rapier when the last 2 minutes of the fight saw the flicking right stick to switch target not work anymore, meaning I had to untarget and retarget, meaning I got loving HIT and died.

gently caress the poo poo loving targetting. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Count Bleck posted:

Demon's Souls had this issue where pretty much every weapon that mattered had a scaling of Strength, Dex, or Faith of A or S.

Why this was a problem I have no idea. :downs:

Also some poo poo about it being the third patch the PS3 got for this game.

Thanks, I'm glad that From is seeing the issue and doing something about it, they're not usually known for patching their stuff.

Now if we could get some DLC that would expand the story in some of the optional places, I wouldn't mind shelling out :10bux: for it. That is nothing but a pipe dream though. :smith:

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah apparently a lot of players don't know that dragon signs are going to summon hostile phantoms, there's lots of stories around of players who had no idea and got blasted or posting to ask what the hell that sign was. There was one guy in this thread who was summoned and discovered the underequipped host desperately trying to survive against a dragon man he apparently didn't know was going to attack him.

I think you might be talking about me in that latter part. I got summoned in Sen's by a guy using the standard knight armor and the Drake Sword when we were in the 60's range in terms of level.

That..that guy didn't last very long.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is parrying in this game like Royal Guard in Devil May Cry 3 / 4 where you can parry basically anything? Or is it only smaller guys? In DMC a gigantic boss could swing at you and it'd just go TING and bounce off, but you needed absolute perfect timing.

Try it and find out

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is parrying in this game like Royal Guard in Devil May Cry 3 / 4 where you can parry basically anything? Or is it only smaller guys? In DMC a gigantic boss could swing at you and it'd just go TING and bounce off, but you needed absolute perfect timing.

I dont think you can parry everything, just the things you can backs stab. Which are usually smaller mobs with weapons.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gazmachine posted:

gently caress

Dark Souls: The reason you died was that you weren't careful enough.

Also this post is pretty much this game's catchphrase. Bold included.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I suppose I should make that shield since I have two butterfly souls now, but on the other hand I don't wanna be LAME CHEATING human being. What to do...

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

That or the fact that the controls didn't work. I couldn't target O, who I needed to block, so I died.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Just experienced my first NPC and PC invasions.
The NPC went about as smoothly as could be expected, the PC was kind enough to wait for me to finish killing slimes, and dropped an indictment for me for some reason before incinerating me. But hey, I got in a couple of backstabs for very little damage, so I'm happy.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
^^^He wants you to indict him so he can fight Darkmoon Blade guys. That's insult to injury though, hahaha.^^^

Count Bleck posted:

Dark Souls: The reason you died was that you weren't careful enough.

Also this post is pretty much this game's catchphrase. Bold included.

To be fair, this game has a lot more in terms of bullshit deaths than Demon's ever did.

I personally haven't had an issue with the targetting. I found flicking up or down works better than trying to flick it left or right.

Draven fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2011

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

doomfunk posted:

Re: Dragon Covenant, can you use other dragons' eye signs if you yourself are a dragon?

If so we should have a Manly Dragon Duel Circle.
I've seen Dragon signs on the ground walking around while in Path of the Dragon, so presumably yes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

That or the fact that the controls didn't work. I couldn't target O, who I needed to block, so I died.

What in the world are you doing retargeting during S+O? You focus on one guy and attack the one you're -not- targeting, keeping both on screen at the same time. Unless you're kiting O around the room, in which case you probably shouldn't be targeting at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

fuzzbox posted:

hi guys. i just got this game. and i suck and die a lot. i guess it doesn't help that i started with a sorcerer!

I'm a few pages late on this, but my sorcerer rolls with a Winged Spear. Well worth the strength/dex investment. You can find it easily in the graveyard. Keep to the right and run like hell to grab it. There's a giant skeleton that'll probably hand you your rear end, but the weapon will serve you well.

Dr. Glasscock posted:

That's adorable.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 17, 2011

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

KezzKezzan posted:

What in the world are you doing retargeting during S+O? You focus on one guy and attack the one you're -not- targeting, keeping both on screen at the same time. Unless you're kiting O around the room, in which case you probably shouldn't be targeting at all.

Because then one of them flanks you and you're targetting the other, so you're left exposed and have to switch to face the one about to hit you in the face. Just had a do with some help - got O down but then oh brills S gets lightning hammer. WOO!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I suppose I should make that shield since I have two butterfly souls now, but on the other hand I don't wanna be LAME CHEATING human being. What to do...

The best sentiment I heard in this thread was "Well, the game's not gonna give me a break, so why should I give it one?".

Also, really hope Microsoft don't delay the upcoming patch. I wanna get my gold phantom on, but I'm still 3 bosses away from it :gbsmith:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Gazmachine posted:

Because then one of them flanks you and you're targetting the other, so you're left exposed and have to switch to face the one about to hit you in the face. Just had a do with some help - got O down but then oh brills S gets lightning hammer. WOO!

That's the point of attacking the one who you're not targeting. It keeps both of them on screen, and you avoid getting flanked. It works better if you're attacking Smough first, due to his larger hitbox and slower attacks, and Ornstein has a habit of getting caught behind him.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

MadJackMcJack posted:

The best sentiment I heard in this thread was "Well, the game's not gonna give me a break, so why should I give it one?".

Also, really hope Microsoft don't delay the upcoming patch. I wanna get my gold phantom on, but I'm still 3 bosses away from it :gbsmith:

Yeah but I always felt bad about going a Royal through my first Demon's Souls playthrough. So for Dark Souls I tried to avoid all the cheesy stuff and in truth it wasn't too bad, I only had serious trouble at a few spots.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'm current in Daughters of Chaos, but rest assured that Warriors of Sunlight is the best covenant for the coolest people. I just wanted my lavaballs.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Leyburn posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure why so many people consider the Crystal Ring Shield to be "cheating". It has an unbelievably huge wind up, and very limited range. You also can't block worth a poo poo when you have it equipped because of its piss-poor physical mitigation. The damage is pretty reasonable, and scales appropriately with your right-hand weapon.

I've been toying around with it using a +10 Fire, +10 Magic, +10 Divine, and +5 Lightning club, and the damage scaling, while really nice, is not that much more than you could put out with just the weapon alone in the same amount of time (one toss of the crystal ring shield = roughly 2-3 normal attacks with the club one-handed.)

I've also killed exactly three people using it in PvP, and all of them were either afk, or fighting another enemy. If you're actually dueling someone and they get hit by it, they are just really bad.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Yeah but I always felt bad about going a Royal through my first Demon's Souls playthrough. So for Dark Souls I tried to avoid all the cheesy stuff and in truth it wasn't too bad, I only had serious trouble at a few spots.

TBH, I've only seriously use the crystal shield for O&S, who are a complete bitch without it, especially if you kill fatboy first. Plus it's pretty poo poo for actually shielding.

bog savant
Mar 15, 2008

unending immaturity
FINALLY made it past the snipers, after an insane number of attempts. Tried everything this thread said, only ended up past them due to the one knight gettin stuck on the wall. Is there any more absolute bullshit like that coming up? Cause I don't mind the difficulty, but another section like that and I'm out.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Yeah, eat that you shitters! How does it feel when it's three on two, you stupid metal vaginas? Now I feel good.

So many highs and lows in this game, it's like being bipolar.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Ok, last night I'll fully admit to being a giant pansy. I had about 21k of souls on me for helping three people clear some stuff. I didn't want to level up yet because I didn't want to group myself out of those bosses, so I just hung out.

Well I guess I was invaded and kind of had a bit of a panic. Luckily I had that stone that sent him back, but I was still underthe impression that you had to be alive (as in not hollow) for this to happen.

edit - and I can't use my bonfire at all until he dies, right? So it's to the death either way?

Oh, and good to see Black Seperation Stones aren't one use only.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Gazmachine posted:

Yeah, eat that you shitters! How does it feel when it's three on two, you stupid metal vaginas? Now I feel good.

If you're ok with cheesing it S is powerless against a bow, as I found out because I was severely underlevelled.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Holy poo poo. Looking at the lists of Covenants. Some of these are awesome!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So tonight I was getting the lay of O&S and their antics in preparation for my own showdown with them, and was helping out with whomever would summon me. At one point, I'm summoned and the host and I greet each other before he directs me to the door which is closed, which is odd cause most people don't shut the doors when they come into the bonfire room.

I open it, and there's a Gold Phantom on the other side doing the "praise the sun" stance.

The host steps in front of me and closes the door again.

I love this game.

G.I. Jaw posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure why so many people consider the Crystal Ring Shield to be "cheating". It has an unbelievably huge wind up, and very limited range. You also can't block worth a poo poo when you have it equipped because of its piss-poor physical mitigation. The damage is pretty reasonable, and scales appropriately with your right-hand weapon.

I've been toying around with it using a +10 Fire, +10 Magic, +10 Divine, and +5 Lightning club, and the damage scaling, while really nice, is not that much more than you could put out with just the weapon alone in the same amount of time (one toss of the crystal ring shield = roughly 2-3 normal attacks with the club one-handed.)

I've also killed exactly three people using it in PvP, and all of them were either afk, or fighting another enemy. If you're actually dueling someone and they get hit by it, they are just really bad.

Yeah, I actually died in my first attempt at completing O&S cause I got too close trying to use the shield and got caught in that grabbing attack that basically fries you to death. If I hadn't been doing the big wind-up for my shield I probably could have avoided it. When I used it in a PvP battle just before O&S it was mostly just because I knew the Black Phantom would be freaking out about it while my white phantom buddy (who was there for my failed run and then for my success which was a hell of a coincidence) cleaned his clock.

defult
Oct 19, 2007
Been helping out loads of jp's on O+S all day, the crystal sheild makes it soo much easyer in NG+. Only problem is they keep sending messages that i dont understand, each time i just hope im killing in the order they want. Ive no idea if there cursing me or prasing me :(

Hopefully be able to unlock the sun covenat through this soon. Also any one eles notice the god of the sun cov is gwyn's first born son who's banished from the books. you get a reward for giveing the statue gwyn's soul (allegedly, not done myself yet) another nice little twist in the bleak world of dark souls.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Good god, I knocked out Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves and Tomb of the Giants over the weekend and I honestly can't decide which area I hated more. Getting to the bosses was harder than beating them.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Volvagia posted:

FINALLY made it past the snipers, after an insane number of attempts. Tried everything this thread said, only ended up past them due to the one knight gettin stuck on the wall. Is there any more absolute bullshit like that coming up? Cause I don't mind the difficulty, but another section like that and I'm out.

Not really, that was probably one of the areas I felt was actually pretty cheap.

Later on though, you'll get to Lost Izalith, which will require you to traverse a giant lake of lava full of about 30 t-rex type enemies that are 50 feet tall and will squish you in one hit, and have insane mobility and health, but there are a few ways to get them down without a fuss.

One is to get rank 3 with Daughters of Chaos and open the shortcut to Lost Izalith, bypassing them completely, the other is to pack a lightning bow and a shitload of arrows and just pick away at them from a safe distance. They don't respawn, and have trouble attacking you when you have the high ground.

invalid
Aug 1, 2005

by I Ozma Myself

Gazmachine posted:

Seriously. This thread is all over the place. It's like being in an abusive relatioship where all the other times are really, really wonderful.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Hamburger Test posted:

If you're ok with cheesing it S is powerless against a bow, as I found out because I was severely underlevelled.

That's exactly how I finished him off. The other two guys aggro'd him and I sat at the back with my Black Bow of Pharis+10 and did him in.

The question now, of course, is whether I kill Titties McGee there and take the path of evil.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Megasabin posted:

Pretty sure I'm the biggest dickhead alive. I'm camping the bonfire before Gravelord Nito in the tombs of giants and invading people's worlds as a darkwraith. These people are not prepared to deal it at all in that god forsaken area. I'm averaging 20,000 souls a kill because they just finished clearing the area. Then I use the gained humanity to kindle my bonfire so that when I fight Nito I'll have a million flasks ready.

Forgive my n00bness but I just joined the Darkwraiths and bought about 20 red stones. Does it work like Demon's, where you use it and invades only people in your zone or is it world wide? If it's the former, where should a level 51 use it at for optimal invasion frequency?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Finally got summoned by Alvina to invade another player. Things were going well... Until I backed off the cliff. :derp: I'm sure the other player was amused. (I laughed.)

e: does anyone know if the silver knights in Anor Londo ever drop that gorgeous silver spear? I need a new lightning dildo.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 17, 2011

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Gazmachine posted:

The question now, of course, is whether I kill Titties McGee there and take the path of evil.
I just did this, and was pleasantly surprised that the four giants and 3-4 pink gargoyle things between the bonfire and the blacksmith got replaced with two regular human looking dudes. Made going to the 'smith a lot less painful in my opinion.

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

Boosh! posted:

Forgive my n00bness but I just joined the Darkwraiths and bought about 20 red stones. Does it work like Demon's, where you use it and invades only people in your zone or is it world wide? If it's the former, where should a level 51 use it at for optimal invasion frequency?

Just your zone. I would say Sen's or Anor Londo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the drop rate of Titanite Chunks on the Royal Sentinels? They don't seem to drop them very often. Is there a better place to get these things?

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
What's with those patch notes of unlimited use magic and items? I don't like the sound of that at all, I play a pyro and I love my limited use casts! It makes me play more conservatively!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

RedTonic posted:

e: does anyone know if the silver knights in Anor Londo ever drop that gorgeous silver spear? I need a new lightning dildo.

They do, but it's pretty rare.

Defghanistan posted:

What's with those patch notes of unlimited use magic and items? I don't like the sound of that at all, I play a pyro and I love my limited use casts! It makes me play more conservatively!

They are likely referring to the glitch involving the dragon head stone item.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jimbot posted:

What's the drop rate of Titanite Chunks on the Royal Sentinels? They don't seem to drop them very often. Is there a better place to get these things?

The Darkwraiths in New Londo have a better drop rate.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Defghanistan posted:

I believe they're referring to the dragon head glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Where's the place where you can buy the white soapstone to allow yourself to be summoned?

• Locked thread