Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A, "Your formidable mate" is getting creepy and Minsc's 29 hp is gonna be useful. He's also pretty close to level 4!

Edit: How much time do we have to save Dynaheir before Minsc leaves the group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

F - Nobody. I'm bored of Minsc. And Shar-Teel is actually pulling her weight now with that sword. Plus I want to see her reactions to Angelo later on in the game.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
C- I find Gavin kind of Dull.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Edit: How much time do we have to save Dynaheir before Minsc leaves the group?

I think its something like 20 in-game days?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

C - Goodbye Gavin, you dull man you.

Though I'd love to get rid of Minsc too at some point; for once I'd like to see an LP (or playthrough of my own) where he doesn't sneak into the main party.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

D, Couldn't care less about little miss Mary Sue.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
A I am starting to get sick of this "romance", and I think Minsc can use that equipment better than she can.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
C, an extra frontline tank who can use bows is useful now. A mediocre cleric far worse than the powerhouse viconia is becoming is not.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
F, just because I am sure that we will see enough of him at some point anyway.

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008
A because Minsc is great and Shar-Teel is getting really annoying.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
D - Get rid of Rose.

I've just started up a BiG playthrough, after enjoying this thread, and I have two small questions:

How do you change NPC classes to custom kits? They don't show up in ShadowKeeper.

Is it possible to add mods once you've started the game, without messing up saves? I'm missing Finch and Rose in my game (not that I would use Rose, but...)?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A. So long, Shar-teel.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
D. Having read her dialogue, Rose is boring, and maybe Shar-Teel and Minsc will have some interesting dialogue together. Wrestling, or something. I'm still for releasing him once Dynaheir is rescued, though.

However, since the party still has a low reputation, won't Minsc pull an Ajantis on them if he dies?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have a problem with using Minsc long enough to do his quest, but I'd like to keep the number of original Bioware characters reasonably low since seeing all the mod stuff is a big part of the appeal here. So, B: Viconia.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Rose is pretty meh, to be sure. But she is still far, far better than loving Shar-teel!

Get rid of our :airquote:formidable mate:airquote:

Karatehamster
Nov 4, 2009

Vorgen posted:

It's in here. I checked. He's the Angelo that is part of the end-game boss party, and he is Shar-Teel's father. The plot could very possibly thicken significantly when we run into him!

Yeah, even though this mod doesn't match up at all with all of Shar-Teel's blathering about her father and implied abuse and all that jazz. Though as far as mismatched goes, it'll fit right in. As I said, I like him, so I'm curious what the popular opinion about him will be.

vilkacis posted:

This is about the last thing a poster on Something Awful is going to forgive anyone for. :v:
Point. It's pretty subtle though. More Japanophilia than Anime obsession actually, now that I think about it which is probably why I find it tolerable, even though there's a few cringeworthy moments.

Also, D.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Shar-Teel is finally pulling her weight, but her constant Romance dialogue coming up is getting tiresome.

A, because her equipment can greatly benefit our new companion. D, because Rose isn't pulling her weight it seems. Having two strong fighters would help us greatly.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 17, 2011

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slaan posted:

Rose is pretty meh, to be sure. But she is still far, far better than loving Shar-teel!

Get rid of our :airquote:formidable mate:airquote:

I second this vote because I hate that sentence.

Sarahsuke
Mar 27, 2010
D. I'm ambivalent towards the Shar-Teel romance, but at least she has her uses. She really could stand to shut her yap, though.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
D Rose is useless.

milhouse14
Sep 20, 2011
C

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Ugh, I really don't like Shar-Teel, but bards are kinda useless for now, so I'm going for D just because.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
A I just . . no. No, Shar-Teel. No.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
D.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I don't like Shar-Teel's dialog ("Your formidable mate" :gonk:), but as mentioned, at least she's pulling her own weight now.

So my vote goes for D, because Rose seems pretty useless.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
A, for reasons expressed by others. She's not a very formidable mate.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

C.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
D.

Even though the Shar-teel romance is creepy as gently caress and she is an inherently unlikable character, it's better than Little Miss Bland (who also sucks in combat).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

D - boring character. Im sure Shar-Teel and Minsc will get along.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

D. Rose isn't a very interesting character; maybe if she was finished she'd be worth using, but in her current state I'd much rather have a combat-capable character in her place.

I have to wonder what hangup the person who designed Gavin had with broken families. I don't understand why Gavin and Jaheira treat the revelation that he has a daughter as something that is shameful and a potential dealbreaker for taking him along; I suppose it might just be the modder trying to represent some kind of pseudo-medieval morality, but I would be surprised if there was a point in history where a father trying to provide for his daughter, at considerable risk to himself, was seen as anything other than noble. Consider me confused.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jazerus posted:

I have to wonder what hangup the person who designed Gavin had with broken families. I don't understand why Gavin and Jaheira treat the revelation that he has a daughter as something that is shameful and a potential dealbreaker for taking him along; I suppose it might just be the modder trying to represent some kind of pseudo-medieval morality, but I would be surprised if there was a point in history where a father trying to provide for his daughter, at considerable risk to himself, was seen as anything other than noble. Consider me confused.

From what I've seen, Gavin's author is kind of obsessed with broken families and things generally being crappy and unhappy. She also wrote the Keldorn Romance mod, which features exactly what you'd expect, and her probably thankfully aborted Sand romance mod for NWN2 also apparently added a fiance or wife to Sand's backstory who had a lovely relationship with Sand and is generally fuel for angst and unhappiness.

As it is, we'll see Gavin again in BG2. His wife and kind-of-daughter hang out in the Temple District - they're two NPCs who are there in unmodded BG2, now retconned into being his family. Yes, it's precisely the woman and daughter you think, if you've played BG2 and been to the temple district.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
If we get Minsc, we need to get Dynaheir as well, unless the mod that unlocked the Jaheira/Khalid forced party pair also unlocked the Minsc/Dynaheir forced party pair.

If we can get Minsc all by himself, then replace Shar-Teel with Minsc now. Save Dynaheir, then send her off to the inn.

If the Minsc/Dynaheir pair is locked as in the original, then replace Rose with Minsc now, so that we have two good warriors to send against the gnolls. Then replace Shar-Teel with Dynaheir once we rescue her. Dynaheir's not all that interesting as a character, but at least she's not annoying -- and as I recall, she does pull her own weight as a mage, making the Minsc/Dynaheir pairing worth giving up two slots for.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

quote:

Don't you see, Gavin just wants to be loved. He wants a strong person to stay by his side and love him, and help him protect his little girl.

Hey... I just got an idea for a romance mod for the PC! It will be M/M only and include fur...

Hey, where are you guys going? It'll be good, I swear!

I swear :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Let me put it this way: the author of Gavin has openly said that Gavin's family is intended to be a deal-breaker and a very good reason why some people would refuse to take him along and some NPCs will react very badly to him.

He's not bad in BG1, I guess, being a decent good-aligned cleric, but we'll have so many more options in BG2...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Let me put it this way: the author of Gavin has openly said that Gavin's family is intended to be a deal-breaker and a very good reason why some people would refuse to take him along and some NPCs will react very badly to him.

He's not bad in BG1, I guess, being a decent good-aligned cleric, but we'll have so many more options in BG2...

I guess that makes sense from the perspective of a female protagonist who wants to jump his bones (sort of). Looking into the "official Gavin forums" I'm pretty disturbed by how Gavin's romance can work into creepy territory (and how many of the people who post about the Gavin romance are kind of insane). For once, this isn't the other character being creepy in how they approach you (like Shar-Teel) but you being able to be incredibly monstrous to Gavin. I'm glad we have a male protagonist so that he can just be our rather verbose and philosophical priest friend.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
D Rose seems like a broke OP character that really doesn't bring much to the table.

It's funny, I would have said Shar-teel normally, but all that rear end-kicking she did last update makes me like her a whole lote more.

44 Damage? Yes Please!

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Watching reactions to these mods makes me very happy I never finished my Vampire NPC mod back when I was fifteen. I was going to completely rip off the Valen scripting for a bare-handed beatstick and even give it a romance component.

Looking back on the dialogue I had in mind, it would have fit in perfectly with the rest of these mods, though.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Heh, Valen. I'm honestly very much looking forward to the votes I will have to call eventually. Will the thread want a fledgling vampire in the party? How about a dragon? Half-kobold druids anyone? Anthropomorphic foxes? The results will be beyond entertaining.

Ok here are the results:
code:
Who should we replace with Minsc, if anyone?
A: Shar-Teel    ..........
B: Viconia      .
C: Gavin        ......
D: Rose         ...............
E: Imoen
F: Nobody       ..
So it looks like Rose is out and Minsc is in. With two two-handed sword user tanks going up against a ton of low-level baddies, it definitely makes sense to keep two clerics in the party. I have some spare time now so I'll work on another update. We're going to the fair!

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 18, 2011

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Cythereal posted:

You know, I've played the Gavin mod. I even did the romance. And I rather enjoyed it, for what it was. It shouldn't surprise me that my enjoyment managed to be in spite of the modder's wishes and not because of them, but yet it does.

And seriously, romancing Keldorn? The gently caress, man. That's just wrong.

Vorgen posted:

We're going to the fair!

Heeeeeelllo, Branwen. (I hope the modders haven't weirded her up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Heeeeeelllo, Branwen. (I hope the modders haven't weirded her up)

She's a Viking woman in this mod, for good and ill. She likes fighting, drinking, and flirting. Romance option, though Vorgen will need to raise his rep high enough that Shar-Teel's romance will no longer fire in order to meet Branwen's requirements.

• Locked thread