Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mr. Pither posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't, as E92s seem pretty well-received. They've only revealed the sedan at this point and I imagine they'll make a big to-do about revealing the convertible, wagon, and coupe over the next year or so.

They might call it the 2-series though, which I think enthusiasts would grumble about as another dilution of BMW's branding and history, but if it's a good car then they'll get over it.

It'll be called the 4-series if they do that naming convention.

1 series 3/5 door = 1 series
1 series 2 door = 2 series
3 series 4 door = 3 series
3 series 2 door = 4 series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Not new car news, but this is officially the best car dealership ever.

It's got (among others):
  • An EJ25-powered VW Squareback ($6900 or best reasonable offer)
  • A factory original Hilux
  • A BMW 2002 (1602?)
  • Bertone Volvo 780
  • A few dilapidated monarchist ditchfinders (Spitfire, some kind of MG, TR6)
  • At least one 80s Porsche
  • A Jag XK 120, sitting and staring at commoners driving by
  • A back lot with what appears to be a pair of early-80s 5-series
  • Pinz 710M
I should get my green card so I can work there.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 18, 2011

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So, we could potentially have an M4? So many golf clubs will be bent in anger

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Does the US get the 1 series in a four-door form? I've never seen one. It seems odd that they would go through all that trouble of marketing it just to change the name a few years later to the 2 series.

At least they can make an M2 instead of having to go through the word salad approach they currently do in order to avoid the M1 moniker.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

I think CVTs have higher frictional losses than conventional gearboxes, and make up for it by being in the "right" gear vis a vis the engine at all times, which makes them better suited for certain types of vehicles, like Japanese kei cars that otherwise can only fit a 4 speed autos and mostly do city drive cycle(I think they have a clutch that just freewheels when not moving?). For larger cars/engines and highway cruising they aren't very good.

The Nissan Juke (similar in size and weight to a VW Golf or Mini Cooper Countryman) gets better highway mileage and much better city mileage with the CVT than the six-speed manual.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The same can be said for Subaru's offerings as well. All of their highway mileage figures have gone up after ditching the autos and manuals for CVTs.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Top Gear posted:

Both get a Subaru-derived flat-four engine and six-speed manual ‘box, with the option of a six-speed auto. Though ticking that one would be unbridled heresy. Output differs between the marques - the Scooby BRZ gets "less than 300bhp" while the FT-86 dangles around the 200bhp mark.

Underneath, they'll be identical, both getting limited-slip differentials and independent suspension. On the outside, they'll be differentiated by grills, badges and wheels.

The FT-86 especially is designed to appeal to the drifters - the stability control system even allows a dab of sideways before it tells you off. It'll be lithe, too - Toyota says it's 200kg lighter than a VW Scirocco (around 1100kg). It gets some trick suspension refinements, too - top-spec dampers and Euro-biased handling. Price? Around £20,000. Which seems very reasonable.

Details on the Subaru are a bit hazier. But we do know that it won't be four-wheel drive and will be a touch dearer - around £25,000, though no numbers have been confirmed - on account of the extra 100-odd bhp.

Will be really interesting to see how these go, really surprised that Subaru isnt making an AWD version, and they cant say that every car in their lineup has AWD now.

Is this the Suby 6 speed from the STI or is it a new box? I hope it's better then what they usually offer, every Subi I've driven hasn't had a very good shifter feel.

Pretty excited to take one of these for a spin at some point though, about time theres a cheap RWD sports coupe that doesn't have a Hyundai badge on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It may be the 6 speed from the Legacy right now which is awful (the current 5 speed with an extra gear stuffed in it.)

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

D C posted:

Will be really interesting to see how these go, really surprised that Subaru isnt making an AWD version, and they cant say that every car in their lineup has AWD now.

Somehow I have no doubt in my mind that Subaru will offer an AWD version of the car in the future, probably in an STi version (that inevitably won't come state-side anyway). What's more interesting is that a LOT of parts are shared by both cars, and it will be theoretically possible to get the cheaper Toyota/Scion version and easily bump the power up to BRZ levels. Also, oh my god thank you Subaru and Toyota for making a fairly light car (it's as light as my RX-7)!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
These days I'd say anything under 2000 lbs is pretty god drat light

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
Are both engines going to be the same?

If so, would a tune to the Toyota close the gap a bit between the power differences of both cars?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Wait, the FT-86 is really going to be under 2000lb? With 200hp? How the hell do you accomplish that today. If it is true, I might seriously consider buying a new car...

Edit: Wait, do they mean a new scirocco or an old one? New one is 1300kg, which would put the FT-86 at 2400lb which seems a little more achieveable.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

rscott posted:

These days I'd say anything under 2000 lbs is pretty god drat light

2000? These days, seems anything under 3000 with any semblance of sportiness or power is ultraleggera. I don't believe for one second that a budget sports car like the Toyobaru will be anywhere near 2000 pounds, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 20, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Crustashio posted:

Wait, the FT-86 is really going to be under 2000lb? With 200hp? How the hell do you accomplish that today. If it is true, I might seriously consider buying a new car...

Edit: Wait, do they mean a new scirroco or an old one?

It's a new one, so its anywhere under 2,800lbs, which i still find hard toe believe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

D C posted:

It's a new one, so its anywhere under 2,800lbs, which i still find hard toe believe.

The curb weight of the 2012 Impreza is already 2,950lbs.

So, I don't doubt it would be very easy to lose 151 lbs especially when ditching the AWD to say nothing about making the car physically smaller.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The same can be said for Subaru's offerings as well. All of their highway mileage figures have gone up after ditching the autos and manuals for CVTs.

As a counterpoint, my wife drove a (small) mercedes with CVT and it got horrific mileage no matter how it was driven. I'm currently driving a semi-auto that has optimised shifts for economy, and it's supposed to get a good 5mpg more that the equivalent manual car.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Edit: Wait, do they mean a new scirocco or an old one? New one is 1300kg, which would put the FT-86 at 2400lb which seems a little more achieveable.

A Toyota rep was quoted at Frankfurt to say that the car will weigh somewhere in the 1150kg range (~2550 lbs). That would be nothing short of amazing with how much cars weigh now...

I guess it would be lighter than a few of it's competitors:
Genesis Coupe: 3294 lbs for the inline 4.
370Z: 3232 lbs
Scion tC: 2970 lbs

Edit: C&D is predicting 2800-2900 lbs
http://i.imgur.com/WAhn7.jpg

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 21, 2011

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
Unless they make the whole thing out of carbon fiber and strip it to a level that makes a Lotus Elise look luxurious, it won't be 2000 lbs.

Whatever it weighs in at, I'm more curious about if it will do decent sales numbers. As I recall from the Autoblog podcast, they said that the Genesis Coupe isn't setting the sales charts on fire and while the Toyobaru is a press darling, that doesn't mean people will actually want to buy it in great numbers when it comes out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I really wish they had made it a hatchback. :( Trunks suck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MiniFoo posted:

Somehow I have no doubt in my mind that Subaru will offer an AWD version of the car in the future

All the cutaways have shown the motor sitting between the wheels. If that's how it'll be in production, AWD is out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

Does the US get the 1 series in a four-door form? I've never seen one. It seems odd that they would go through all that trouble of marketing it just to change the name a few years later to the 2 series.

At least they can make an M2 instead of having to go through the word salad approach they currently do in order to avoid the M1 moniker.

We do not yet get a five-door 1 series but I would imagine that at some point we will.

edit: man the toyobaru according to C/D is going to be 28K? gently caress that noise that's getting uncomfortably close to 1-series territory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 21, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

All the cutaways have shown the motor sitting between the wheels. If that's how it'll be in production, AWD is out.

I can deal without AWD, especially on a a car like that. But the lack of a turbo option will be a tough pill to swallow for me, especially when the price is taken into consideration. There is a lot of great cars you can buy for $28k. The Mustang and GC will beat it in the power department while the Miata weights and costs a bit less.

A starting price under $20k is probably the best place for them to target.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

oRenj9 posted:

A starting price under $20k is probably the best place for them to target.

This just seems like supply and demand. Remember how cheap Miatas were, initially? Yeah, despite the downturn in the dollar, they were cheap as hell. Now? Just somewhat built that way.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

Somehow I have no doubt in my mind that Subaru will offer an AWD version of the car in the future, probably in an STi version (that inevitably won't come state-side anyway). What's more interesting is that a LOT of parts are shared by both cars, and it will be theoretically possible to get the cheaper Toyota/Scion version and easily bump the power up to BRZ levels. Also, oh my god thank you Subaru and Toyota for making a fairly light car (it's as light as my RX-7)!

I recall reading that they re-positioned the engine to be lower and closer to the firewall, and that it is impossible for them to make the car AWD in doing that. It is kind of a ballsy move for Subaru, who has been AWD-only in the US for the better part of the last two decades.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They've pretty much already said that the next generation of WRX and STI are going to be a variant of this smaller platform (slightly larger so they can actually achieve AWD, but not as big as the Impreza) .

So there isn't going to be much point in making an AWD version of this car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jork Juggler posted:

It is kind of a ballsy move for Subaru, who has been AWD-only in the US for the better part of the last two decades.

I don't get this sentiment. Impreza, Legacy, and Tribeca ads will still tout the safety of Subaru Symmetrical All Wheel Drive (tm). And people who look for easy winter driving will still acknowledge Subaru as a good brand for it.
Their putting out a new RWD sports car is not going to make the Subaru faithful suddenly second guess themselves.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think the venn diagram showing "traditional subaru customers" and "people who are interested in the toyobaru" has a very small overlap and most of thsoe people post on this forum.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think the venn diagram showing "traditional subaru customers" and "people who are interested in the toyobaru" has a very small overlap and most of thsoe people post on this forum.

Subaru only caters to ricers (no offense intended, I drive a Mitsubishi) and Colorado-tier granolas, and the BR-Z covers half of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah i grew up in New England, subarus are pretty goddamn mainstream there

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i grew up in New England, subarus are pretty goddamn mainstream there

The same with Western PA.

You can't go into any parking lot without tripping over a few dozen outback wagons, foresters, and base imprezas.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BonzoESC posted:

Subaru only caters to ricers (no offense intended, I drive a Mitsubishi) and Colorado-tier granolas, and the BR-Z covers half of that.

:what:

Subaru is the official car of the Pacific Northwest.

Seriously, like 1 out of 3 cars here are Subarus. Not exaggerating at all. And most of these people driving non-WRX Imprezas, Outbacks, and Foresters aren't going to care one bit about the BRZ - the same way they don't care one bit about the WRX/STi.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 21, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

What percentage of Subie sales are WRX and STi models?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Guinness posted:

Pretty sure those are the people he means by "Colorado-tier granolas", which I'm of the impression the Pacific Northwest is basically chock full of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kimbo305 posted:

What percentage of Subie sales are WRX and STi models?

They don't break them out from the Impreza, but the Impreza itself is something like less than 30% I believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I remember when Subarus were what farmers bought.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2011

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Seriously, like 1 out of 3 cars here are Subarus. Not exaggerating at all. And most of these people driving non-WRX Imprezas, Outbacks, and Foresters aren't going to care one bit about the BRZ - the same way they don't care one bit about the WRX/STi.

I live in Florida, anything north and west of Colorado Springs is part of Colorado from my perspective ;)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Q_res posted:

Pretty sure those are the people he means by "Colorado-tier granolas", which I'm of the impression the Pacific Northwest is basically chock full of.

in the Northeast I know a shitload of rednecks who drive Subarus

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

quote:

The next Mitsubishi Evo will be powered by a hybrid powertrain and will go on sale within three years, company president Osamu Masuko has confirmed to Autocar. Although Masuko did not reveal the full technical details, it is understood that the Evo XI will switch to a diesel-electric hybrid powertrain, saving it from tightening emissions regulations while preserving its trademark mid-range shove.

“We will start work on the project next year, and it will be ready within three,” said Masuko. “I have set the goal of developing a sporting car featuring electric power.”

It is hoped that the mix of diesel torque and electric motor will deliver a 0-62mph time of under five seconds, yet cut CO2 emissions to less than 200g/km.
The Evo XI will feature a revised version of the S-AWC four-wheel drive system, which integrates braking, steering and traction control.

The future of the Evo has been the subject of much debate this year. Senior management initially claimed it would be axed in favour of investing in electric vehicles, but it reversed this decision following a backlash from fans.

Masuko is believed to have made the decision after being persuaded that a halo model such as the Evo could have a positive effect on the entire Mitsubishi range, which is set to become increasingly environmentally focused.

Whoa.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Excellent stuff. I've always wondered why no one's done a diesel-electric car, considering it's commonly used for trains and probably other things I'm not aware of (size/weight issues, maybe?). Having a diesel generator that can be kept at its most efficient point and using electric to actually drive the wheels seems like a no-brainer to me, but what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wasn't that the original idea with the Volt?