Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PKJC
May 7, 2009

GreenAcidRage posted:

You can be summoned into a NG as a NG+ and vica versa.

Also I just did 4 Kings at SL 10. :smug:

Edit: First uncracked red eye orb invasion: guy in full Havel's with Queelaag's furysword and Black Iron Great Shield. Dark Souls taunts me for my wish to be a dick.

Recommendation: Troll the Depths, it is quite fun down there, lots of blind corners for ambushes and plenty of people to invade. I recommend the Slumbering Dragon's Ring to sneak around. Been climbing my way up the book of the guilty so I can hopefully get to fight some Darkmoon bros later. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

He got it in the end. My wife is doing some private tutoring and I'm sat with my headphones in. I got so into the fight (because I knew he'd been trying for ages) and it was so close and then he managed it and I sort of forgot myself and shouted "UWAAAA!", which got me some quizzical looks.

Haha yeah, I caught it just as I was checking back after putting down my summon sign. Man, this stream is getting really depressing, he's trying to get to the first Blighttown bonfire and keeps dying on those loving tiny red dogs. He's so close, too. :(

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Woo, so excited, just got the Drake Sword and am ready to gently caress poo poo up! I spent two hours on that loving bridge last night; the ONE time I manage to make it past the dragon, I don't have enough dexterity to wield the short bow I'd bought, AND I manage to die before accessing the ladder shortcut. Needless to say I was ready to ram my head through a wall. This morning, after grinding my dexterity a bit, I make it through the bridge in one try, snipe the dragon's tail, AND manage to stumble across that drat shortcut. Goddamn that was gratifying.

It's my first playthrough, so forgive my naive optimism. If this is anything like Demon's Souls I'll be an embittered husk of a man by the game's end.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I had a dream last night that I ordered a footlong Tomb of the Giants at Subway. :psyduck: I wonder what would have been on it?

Psycho Mantits posted:

It's my first playthrough, so forgive my naive optimism. If this is anything like Demon's Souls I'll be an embittered husk of a man by the game's end.

Oh, you will be... you will be...

Ixjuvin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 23, 2011

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I started a second character last night and tried to make a Pyro focused character, and holy hell it really does make the game easy mode. I've been putting almost all my souls into upgrading the Pyro Flame and buying the expensive spells for it. Great Combustion, Great Fireball and Fire Orb just destroy everything in their path. I've hardly levelled up at all, I think I'm about level 20 and I've just got to Anor Londo.

Is there anything I should know regarding what to do with my stats?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I also started another character, does magic stack up well against pyromancy? Or are fireballs the way to go? I wanted to go with a soul arrow throwing Ricard's Rapier rolling machine.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
Just clubbed two guys to death while flipping around naked outside Parish, this is the best thing ever. Let it not be said that this Darkwraith is dishonorable! I give all these newbies fair warning. Except for the guy I drop-speared, sorry guy. Your armor looked good enough for a NG+ runner.

PK I hit up the depths but my targets keep dying before they get to me, except one who dropped down into the curse frogs while I was checking there and promptly died to a flurry of Dark Hand punches.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

diospadre posted:

I also started another character, does magic stack up well against pyromancy? Or are fireballs the way to go? I wanted to go with a soul arrow throwing Ricard's Rapier rolling machine.

From what I've heard Sorcery is really powerful(like two-shotting bosses powerful), but it does require stat investment, whereas Pyromancy is just souls. Similar costs, but Pyromancy lets you be a little tankier while doling out the pain.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

diospadre posted:

Sorcery is very viable. Also, you tend to have longer range and more casts with your sorceries.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

diospadre posted:

Sorcery scales well with INT and you get some really powerful spells. Pyromancy has a high Magic Adjust once maxed out but it doesn't scale with any stats. There's also a ring that boosts sorcery strength as well.

Man, I just got the Wisdom of a Sage trophy (all sorceries learned) but I've barely cast maybe a quarter of the sorceries in the game. My 16 INT is really handicapping me from blasting stuff into oblivion. Crystal Homing Soulmass looks so cool too... :(

Eddain fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 23, 2011

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also if you get bored of shooting lasers at people you can always cast Crystal Magic Weapon on a +15 weapon and do more damage than any of those +5 lightning asshats running around.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Yeah that was the plan, thanks.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

So, uh, the Crystal Ring shield kinda breaks this game, badly. In my alternate hand I have a +2 Lightening Zweihander and I one shot the Capra/Taurus demons in the hell area at 908 damage a shot. With the Zweihander being fully upgraded,I'm guessing its gonna easily do over 1200 damage. Awesome.

The really breaking part is that I can farm 20k souls in a very short period of time (5-6 minutes tops), which then lets me buy about 40 repair powders. And from there, it just boils down to economics, because I can kill at least 500 souls worth for the 30 shots I get for each repair powder.

But as game breaking as it is, I just love saying "gently caress you" to the enemies in this game.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh my god seriously, gently caress Tomb of Giants. I took Blighttown in stride and now have no issues barreling through there to deposit some fire souls with the Chaos Witch... But gently caress Tomb of Giants. I even have the Light spell, an awesome divine weapon and the skeletons still make me their bitch. Especially when there's a couple of them or three ganged up on me. gently caress!

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Waspinator stream update - currently attempting to run past every enemy in Blighttown with yackety sax playing as about 15 enemies chase him.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010
Has anybody used the Silver Knight Sword? Because I seem to be getting extra lightning damage with it. It's not as good as my lightning darksword +5, but it is better than some of my other weapons that are supposed to do more damage than it. I've tried reloading my game to see if it was just a glitch, but the lightning damage is still there.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Sumadartson posted:

You are a god among insects. How did you kill them?

I know this is from last page, but the fight is much easier as melee if you kill Smough first. Super Ornstein is imposing, but if you just get up his rear end as soon as possible and keep your shield up at all times, he's not going to be able to do anything to you.

He won't use his ranged lightning attack up close, and everything else can be blocked, except for his super lightning stab/grab attack, which can be side-rolled to avoid. Just watch out for that, and beat the living hell out of his shins after every one of his attacks and he'll go down in about 5 min.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Am I the only one waiting for the new patch? Just the idea that my previous build might very well be completely nerfed kind of bugs me. Is anyone else in the same line? Wait to see what the patch actually does/fixes before moving on?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

waspinator posted:

Street Fighter run continues: http://www.twitch.tv/waspinat0r

This is currently the best thing in the world ever.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Zain posted:

Am I the only one waiting for the new patch? Just the idea that my previous build might very well be completely nerfed kind of bugs me. Is anyone else in the same line? Wait to see what the patch actually does/fixes before moving on?

So what's the deal with patch? What's it likely to change? Will we keep our characters?

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

G.I. Jaw posted:

Or you could kill Smough second because he telegraphs his moves like a champ and has 3/4 of his moveset defeated by circlestrafing. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Gazmachine posted:

So what's the deal with patch? What's it likely to change? Will we keep our characters?

Things like fire and lightning enchants as well as scaling of weapons accordingly.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
It would be nice if you could see some stats about other players for the area you're in. I'm trying out the gravelord covenant trying to lure some phantoms, and I have no idea if there's even anyone around. I would like to know if I'm doing jack poo poo at all.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

So do people reckon that weapons will scale with stats more effectively, or less?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

So do people reckon that weapons will scale with stats more effectively, or less?

The expectation is more. Right now elemental weapons are just way too effective and there's little incentive to use stat-modifiers to get your damage.

They're also supposed to nerf the Ring of Fog and make the multiplayer more usable.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Gazmachine posted:

Waspinator stream update - currently attempting to run past every enemy in Blighttown with yackety sax playing as about 15 enemies chase him.

I never thought he'd actually do it when I said it. It was awesome :v:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Chiming in as someone who did Ornstein and Smough solo, melee only. Here's more or less what I did:

Equipped the Lightning Spear (Though if you can use a fire weapon, it's probably better. Using some kind of spear is the safest choice though), Eagle Shield, and the Gold Hemmed black robes for their lightning resistance. Even if you don't have great lightning resistance it should be okay, just get as much as you can to mitigate damage from blocking Ornstein's lightning shots.

Go in with just your one weapon (Hopefully a spear), that shield, and some kind of armor that's light enough to put you at less than 25% load. You want to be able to roll and recover quickly, and you want your stamina to come back quickly because you don't get as many opportunities to put your shield down and speed up stamina recovery as you do with other bosses.

I found it easier to go after Ornstein first if you're using the Lightning Spear, because otherwise once he powers up you do so little damage versus his ability to instantly kill you or stab you from the air and instantly break your guard that it's just really hard to win a battle of attrition with him.

The key to killing Ornstein first is to know exactly when and how many times you can hit him, and doing it quickly. He resists lightning, yes, but the Lightning Spear still does enough damage to make it so that you can get rid of him quickly if you take full advantage of every opening he gives you. If you play it too safe and only go after him when he's far away from Smough, you'll not only draw the fight out longer (And make it more likely that one of them will catch you slipping), but you run the risk of being unable to see Smough depending on which angle Ornstein comes at you from. It's better to be able to SEE Smough coming at you from a short distance than to be far from him but not know exactly where he is. And let's face it - as cool as this fight is the targeting system is going to kill you a few times and you don't want to make that possibility more likely.

So, hitting Ornstein. Since you can attack with your shield up using the spear, you want to start attacking Ornstein at pretty much any time you have full stamina, even if he's about to attack you. If Smough is too far for a counter-attack, use up as much stamina as you safely can to stab him repeatedly and start moving backwards, only putting up your shield to block Ornstein's attacks. If Smough is close, take only one or two stabs if possible and leave enough stamina to roll away from his attack. I found that when I stay within fairly close range of Smough while fighting Ornstein, he's more likely to use his vertical slam attack. That's way easier to dodge reliably in any direction than his horizontal swing or his running attack.

Also notable is that, like many big enemies, Smough will do a heavy attack, then do a large leap backwards if you try to counter. Then he'll come back and try to do the same poo poo again. So if you've got the stamina and Smough misses you, move close to him with your shield up, targeting whoever you need to do keep both of them in front of you, and get him to leap backwards and then run back towards you. In the time it takes him to do that, you can get plenty of hits in on Ornstein. Keep in mind, though, that most of the time you will be trading blows with him (Though his blows will be blocked by your shield!). Try to throw in one extra thrust whenever possible before Smough tries to smash you.

Ornstein's attacks are all really easy to block, but he won't always do his basic three swing combo. He'll often do that dash attack or his jumping stab. You want to stab him right as he's about to land these moves. After you hit him lower your shield until he attacks again, so you can keep your stamina up. If you stay close to him you may get him to do his combo where he does his slow swings, and it's super easy to get lots of hits on him when he does this so it's great if you can invite that situation. Sometimes he'll try to sidestep away from you and that's also a good time to hit him. The key is always having at least a tiny bit of stamina left to roll when you see Smough about to swing. I know it seems bad to constantly put yourself in danger of being hit by his attacks, but in this battle I think it's easier to stay close and invite an attack you can easily dodge over and over rather than weave in and out and make them switch their tactics up.

I realize that what I've said is all pretty basic poo poo for Dark Souls, but I think it bears repeating because when I first fought them I approached it thinking I had to gradually wear Ornstein down as he let himself be simultaneously wide open AND far enough away from Smough that it'd take a while for Smough to attack me. What inevitably happened would be that I'd fight them for ten to twenty minutes and then either gently caress up my positioning and get hit by Smough, or the targeting system would make it impossible for me to put one of them in my sights and I'd die. The important thing to keep in mind in this battle is that being close to both of them is not dangerous as long as you keep a smidgeon of stamina to dodge Smough. It also means you'll be hitting Ornstein way more than he'll be hitting you, and if you do this Ornstein will go down fast whether or not your weapon is resisted by him.

The Smough part of that fight is the same as Quelaag, pretty much. Stay close to him, behind if possible, and run the hell away and roll when he gets in the air.

Well I sure hope that post helps someone, and my advice isn't too vague. Beating these guys on your own with a melee weapon is really satisfying and makes you feel like some kinda tactical genius badass, so I hope everyone doesn't automatically assume this fight requires a partner.

Oh yeah, and if you're fighting solo, you don't need to kill any enemies at all on the way to them. Near the top of the stairs, start running a little before you aggro the two guards, and jump just as they try to attack, then sprint into the hall. Run up the left side until you get your stamina back, then start sprinting to avoid the attack of the first golden guard on the inside. For the second, target him so you can shield his attack as you back up towards the boss door, then just turn and run as he recovers. It's super simple and should work every time. I should know because I died a lot before I figured out what I was supposed to do in that fight. :v:

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 23, 2011

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Gazmachine posted:

They have literally stated in the patch notes that they are buffing scaling because it is currently kind of poo poo.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I spent hours making my way through the Demon Ruins after Ceaseless Discharge, only to find it was a dead end (the door was blocked). I grabbed two items, including a Greater Fire Ember then made my way back out.

What am I supposed to do with embers? I guess it is supposed to ascend weapons or something, but when I talk to a blacksmith it says I have no weapons to ascend. I've been using the Black Knight Sword, maybe I should start upgrading a different one or something???

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

hcenvirons posted:

The expectation is more. Right now elemental weapons are just way too effective and there's little incentive to use stat-modifiers to get your damage.

They're also supposed to nerf the Ring of Fog and make the multiplayer more usable.

I thought somewhere they said elemental enchants are getting nerfed.

Also does the Divine enchant do anything at all? Because I'm not seeing any sort of divine damage.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zain posted:

Also does the Divine enchant do anything at all? Because I'm not seeing any sort of divine damage.

It adds magic damage that scales with Faith and stops skeletons from resurrecting. That is all.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

G.I. Jaw posted:

I know this is from last page, but the fight is much easier as melee if you kill Smough first. Super Ornstein is imposing, but if you just get up his rear end as soon as possible and keep your shield up at all times, he's not going to be able to do anything to you.

He won't use his ranged lightning attack up close, and everything else can be blocked, except for his super lightning stab/grab attack, which can be side-rolled to avoid. Just watch out for that, and beat the living hell out of his shins after every one of his attacks and he'll go down in about 5 min.

I actually did it the other way around. It was a little trickier to kill Ornstein first since he's harder to hit than Smough, but once I did, powered-up Smough wasn't horrible. I had a +9 Eagle Shield which did well against his lightning hammer (the damage I took from blocking was minimal), a mix of Havel's and stone armour, and a +5 Fire Longsword. It took a few tries, but I was able to take him out.

Basically, the trick was to wait till he did an overhead smash, and just move to the side and sneak in a couple of hits. Even with my heavy armour, I was able to move fast enough against Smough. The one thing to watch out for when you attack is his lightning butt smash. It hits really hard and I don't think it's blockable (or at least I didn't have enough stamina to do so), so just run backwards when he does that. You'll recognize the move eventually. I found it was best not to let the fight last too long. A couple of times, I was too patient and he would keep chipping away at my health in the meantime. Soon enough, I ran out of Estus and that was that.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Zain posted:

Not sure if they're adjusting elemental damage itself. Possibly, but right now scaling is just really lackluster in general so I'm hoping it gets better overall.

Also, are some weapons within the same scaling grade better? I was comparing items and one came up as a blue D rank, even though the equipped item was also rank D.

As for divine, I've only ever used it against skeletons. It makes it so Necromancers can't resurrect them. Even if you can't see a necromancer around, if you're outside of Firelink Shrine, assume one is there. Necromancers don't respawn, though, so once you kill it you can use whatever to take the skeletons down. It does additional damage, yeah, but it's based off of the Faith stat.

Cocks on the Rocks
Jan 5, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns
ugh this game is so broken how could they even begin to fix this gently caress up?

With item duping people are running around with the best gear and SL200. I killed someone by luck yesterday and they dropped 2,000,000 souls :wtc:

i just killed myself and let those go but it was tough.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

It adds magic damage that scales with Faith and stops skeletons from resurrecting. That is all.
Which skeletons? I played through the catacombs with a divine claymore and the skeletons didnt stop rezzing until I killed the necromancers.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Macksy posted:

Which skeletons? I played through the catacombs with a divine claymore and the skeletons didnt stop rezzing until I killed the necromancers.

You didn't have a Divine Claymore, because divine weapons kill the skeletons dead without having to kill the necromancers first.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Cocks on the Rocks posted:

ugh this game is so broken how could they even begin to fix this gently caress up?

With item duping people are running around with the best gear and SL200. I killed someone by luck yesterday and they dropped 2,000,000 souls :wtc:

Oh yeah the infinite souls glitch and all, but most people aren't going to cheat the game like that. (I don't consider min maxing as cheating since you're gaining power at the cost of longevity.)

Cocks on the Rocks
Jan 5, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns

Macksy posted:

you had a magic weapon

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Cocks on the Rocks posted:

It's not that hard to level up, and since you can't really spend it on levels and not even items (you just reach the point where all you buy is titanite and maybe refill consumables from the undead merchant) it's easy to get 2m souls once you go through NG++ and onwards, just about every mini-boss/boss gives you buttloads of souls, and if you know what you're doing it's really hard to lose all your souls.

Thanks to this it's pretty common to get a ton of souls from pvp kills, you don't lose your bloodstain even if you die while being invaded after all. That is to say, someone who is terrible and is SL200 may very well have duped souls, but he mostly just screwed himself over, so who cares? I'd be more suspicious if I saw someone giving me 100 million souls or something if I killed them.

Edit: of course if you see them wearing a dragon head and they don't use it in pvp that's one red flag :v:

apple fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Ixjuvin posted:

They have literally stated in the patch notes that they are buffing scaling because it is currently kind of poo poo.

That's going to make my RicRape build insanely good, then.

• Locked thread