Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Light Gun Man posted:

Scan them monthly too. :v:

Due to a lack of a scanner, I don't think that's going to happen. I'll try though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I found a random NPC in Devil Survivor with 2 on his death clock on day 6. Is this a vital plot point or just a mistake by the programmers since none of the characters seemed to care?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Check it out, Teddie and Naoto are in Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

Teddie even has an M. Bison Psycho Crusher :swoon:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

Gonna enjoy using Naoto as my training mode punching bag.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Law posted:

I found a random NPC in Devil Survivor with 2 on his death clock on day 6. Is this a vital plot point or just a mistake by the programmers since none of the characters seemed to care?

Eh, most of the events have stuff like "200 deaths reported", so I assume he's one of them.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Morpheus posted:

Eh, most of the events have stuff like "200 deaths reported", so I assume he's one of them.

Problem is, having a 2 on Day 6 means you die on Day 8. Which is an impossibility given the fact there is an eighth day only crops at the very last moment.
So yeah; it's probably an oversight.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Policenaut posted:

Naoto seems to have some unique mechanic going on, her opponents have a skull with a counter under their name. Has something to do with her Hama ultimate in the last shot not missing or something?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

Problem is, having a 2 on Day 6 means you die on Day 8. Which is an impossibility given the fact there is an eighth day only crops at the very last moment.
So yeah; it's probably an oversight.

Oh, totally misread that. Yup, most likely.

Or they were going to add the eight day all along :tinfoil:

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I really enjoyed the Persona 1 remake on PSP, and I think in enjoying Strange Journey even more (I hadn't finished a JRPG since Star Ocean 2 on PS1). Which game should I try next (I'm currently limited to PSP, DS, and anything that would play on a lovely laptop)?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
In other news, I'm totally loving Nocturne. I haven't been this challenged in a while. Oh, what does this boss do? *cue me getting steamrolled* Alright, good thing I always save! *Makes demon that will steamroll the boss instead* Vindication! It's such a good feeling :smugbert:

Going for the Neutral ending. (Yeah, yeah, I'll do the TDE later.)

The only sad part is when the game is over. What do I do then? :smith:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

thedouche posted:

I really enjoyed the Persona 1 remake on PSP, and I think in enjoying Strange Journey even more. Which game should I try next (I'm currently limited to PSP, DS, and anything that would play on a lovely laptop)?

If you're only talking about the SMT franchise, check out Persona 2 on the PSP.

If you want more dungeon crawly stuff, look up the Etrian Odyssey series.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

RadicalR posted:

Going for the Neutral ending. (Yeah, yeah, I'll do the TDE later.)

Just note that you can do 99% of the requirements for the TDE without actually being locked into it. The only time you'll get locked into it is if you (endgame spoilers) go ALL the way through the 5th Kalpa and see the cutscene right at the end. This means you're free to beat the other superbosses and get Dante and the super pixie without being locked into the TDE. Just don't go all the way through the 5th Kalpa. This is exactly what I did when I played Nocturne so I know you can do it, unless I was dreaming it or something.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

thedouche posted:

I really enjoyed the Persona 1 remake on PSP, and I think in enjoying Strange Journey even more (I hadn't finished a JRPG since Star Ocean 2 on PS1). Which game should I try next (I'm currently limited to PSP, DS, and anything that would play on a lovely laptop)?

The Persona 2 remake is probably right up your alley.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

BurningCourage posted:

Just note that you can do 99% of the requirements for the TDE without actually being locked into it. The only time you'll get locked into it is if you (endgame spoilers) go ALL the way through the 5th Kalpa and see the cutscene right at the end. This means you're free to beat the other superbosses and get Dante and the super pixie without being locked into the TDE. Just don't go all the way through the 5th Kalpa. This is exactly what I did when I played Nocturne so I know you can do it, unless I was dreaming it or something.

:aaa: Looks like I'm going to have some fun once I finish up the optional sidequest - The Magatama collection sidequest. Thanks for this info, bro! Hee-ho!

Edit: FUCCCCCCK. I already entered the Tower and that fucks up any progress in the Kaplas. :downs: Guess I'm going to have to youtube the TDE (I love this game, but not enough to play through it again!)

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 25, 2011

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Policenaut posted:

I'm glad they used the casual clothes outfit, those plaid trousers are awesome.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

Alright, Chie and Naoto. Just give me Adachi and we're all good, Atlus/ArcSys.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Just beat Nocturne - Neutral Ending. It's been a while since a game made me happy inside. I did the right thing and kicked rear end while doing it. Can't ask for anything better than that. Be quiet, you True Demon lovers. Let me enjoy the glow of my victory!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Hell yes.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
No Yukaris No Buys

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Why does teddie do psycho crusher besides the fact that it is awesome

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Policenaut posted:

From those screens it looks like Naoto has some form of Mudo, you see the miss icon along with some purple poo poo in one of her screens. Will this actually instantly kill if it hits? Would be hilarious if it did.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BurningCourage posted:

From those screens it looks like Naoto has some form of Mudo, you see the miss icon along with some purple poo poo in one of her screens. Will this actually instantly kill if it hits? Would be hilarious if it did.
Arcsys games all have instant kills

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I know that, but it's usually in the form of a big, risky super move with possible other requirements (Guilty Gear, Fist Of the North Star) or what is essentially an extended win pose (Blazblue). From the skulls under one of the health bars I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that she has a move that adds skulls, and the more she's added, the higher the chance of Mudo hitting and doing something. Mudo might be a super, I dunno, we need more info!

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
If you missed out on the first print run of Devil Survivor Overclocked which seemed to sell out fairly fast, and are sick of people trying to sell it for $60+, Amazon just got it back in stock for $29.99: http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Overclocked-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I09286/

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, Atlus released a new bunch of official screenshots for P4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena which include Teddie/Naoto among other things

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Dang, I was really leaning towards Yukiko, but everything about Naoto looks freakin perfect... I think I have to play her. Plus the pistol reminds me of P1 a ton too.
Can't wait to see some gameplay footage w/ her.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Xlyfindel posted:

Dang, I was really leaning towards Yukiko, but everything about Naoto looks freakin perfect... I think I have to play her. Plus the pistol reminds me of P1 a ton too.
Can't wait to see some gameplay footage w/ her.

Having a character with a gun DOES set a precedent that could potentially allow P1 DLC characters. :allears:

If it at some point becomes possible to play as Naoya (with SMG and all), then i WILL buy the game.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Policenaut posted:

Hey, Atlus released a new bunch of official screenshots for P4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena which include Teddie/Naoto among other things

Naoto has a super where she busts out an assault rifle. :psyduck:
I mean I know Aigis was bringing a whole arsenal, but that seems a tad bit much for Naoto.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Naoto in a detective jacket :allears:

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.
Quick Persona 2 IS question. One of my characters won't talk for pacts. It just says "It is awkward." And when I try to get them to talk it says I don't feel like. What the hell.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
What do you do when that happens irl? Just bust out your cell phone and play a game until someone tells you the party is over and asks you to please get off their couch and go home.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Quick Persona 2 IS question. One of my characters won't talk for pacts. It just says "It is awkward." And when I try to get them to talk it says I don't feel like. What the hell.

Which character? Maya?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Playing Strange Journey reminds me how much I hate the negotiation mechanic. When I started playing SMT it was fresh and innovative, now it just pisses me off how random most conversations are. Thankfully I can now fuse demons on the fly.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

TurnipFritter posted:

Which character? Maya?

Yes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Just roll with it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just got Nocturne and I figured I'd better ask before I get too far in, am I going to get screwed over if I focus on magic for my main character? Are there any good general guidelines for stats?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Sometimes when a major dramatic event happens to a character, that character won't feel like participating in demon negotiations. Just advance the plot a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Law posted:

I just got Nocturne and I figured I'd better ask before I get too far in, am I going to get screwed over if I focus on magic for my main character? Are there any good general guidelines for stats?
Unlike a lot of other MegaTen games, Physical builds are extremely useful in Nocturne, especially towards the endgame when you get lots of game breaking skills. Ultimately, thanks to the fact that the magatamas can boost your stats by quite a lot (including the ultimate one which is 10+ to every one except luck I think), I believe you can overcome just about any "build" as long as you keep it balanced. What's more important is knowing what skills to keep and what to discard. There are plenty of suggestions about that (either in this thread, the previous one, or the "What should I know before I play this game" thread), but even that is still fairly flexible.

My own personal recommendation of skills is that you should keep Focus throughout the whole game, and Fog Breath and War Cry for as long as you feel like it (eventually they become unnecessary if you get Debilitate on a lot of demons). Endure can save you some headaches, and Mana Walk (I think that's the name, it's the one where you gain MP as you walk around) makes long dungeons a lot easier. Beyond that, I'd supplement your slots with whatever sounds most useful. I liked having an all enemy high damage physical, a single enemy high damage physical, and the best Almighty spell I could muster. That was more in the endgame though.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
^--oh god dammit

Law posted:

If you're a minmax monster and/or want to beat all of the optional content you should crank Strength, learn physical attacks and never ever drop Focus. If you just want to scrape through the storyline there's nothing wrong with Magic, you can get through most of this game even on Hard Mode with nothing more than Tornado/Fog Breath/War Cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Can someone direct me to a site that would show me what all the abbreviations in Persona 2 IS are, for the battle systems? As in, what do st and sw mean? (Btw, I know those mean strike and sword, I was just using them as a reference).