Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The ICS lockscreen theme is really drat nice. Would be nice if the "ping" would orient to the unlock symbol though (I have my unlock usually facing down). By the way, will these form of unlock comform to Apple's bogus* patent?

*bogus because a Dutch court clealy pointed out that there was prior art and threw it out for the EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Decius posted:

The ICS lockscreen theme is really drat nice. Would be nice if the "ping" would orient to the unlock symbol though (I have my unlock usually facing down). By the way, will these form of unlock comform to Apple's bogus* patent?

*bogus because a Dutch court clealy pointed out that there was prior art and threw it out for the EU

The Apple patent specified the lock icon travels down a defined path as you slide it, while the Android versin can be dragged any which way.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Frogmanv2 posted:

Are there any good text to speech apps floating round?

I have both SVOX Victoria and LTTS Susan and I would prefer to use the british victoria I keep going back to Susan because the pronunciation and sound quality is much better.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Has anyone been able to get a cron type app working on their phone?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

scarymonkey posted:

I know fuse.ko capability exists, does any popular ROM/Kernel include it?
Not to my knowledge. It's definitely a "roll your own" thing, but if you do roll your own, it works pretty much anywhere.

scarymonkey posted:

The main point I was making is even if my media were on my SD card my phone/tablet would still be too weak to play them without re-encoding.
I appreciate that. I don't have any HD media, but my phone handles 480p well enough. The one thing it doesn't like is non-square pixels, so I've avoided doing anamorphic encodes of DVDs in HandBrake. I can definitely see utility in on-the-fly reencoding for compatibility purposes.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Re: Amazon App Store Widgetlocker

I got an update for it but it only crashes every time it opens, so I had to uninstall. Tried re-downloading it as well, so you are better off NOT updating from the amazon store for now.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Is there any way to cheat the Amazon store to think my phone is in the US without rooting it? :(

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Saw this article and remembered people mentioning Nokia maps here before. Apparently its html5 based web app, but it still does offline maps. I've not tried it yet.
http://m.maps.nokia.com/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kitten smoothie posted:

The Apple patent specified the lock icon travels down a defined path as you slide it, while the Android versin can be dragged any which way.

Widget Locker has an iPhone copy slider though. Guess its easier to get away with if its an app rather than the default behaviour though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It really doesn't matter too much. There's so much prior art out there that it would get smacked down in court. Even the Dutch said Apple's slide to unlock claims against Samsung were invalid.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Crowley posted:

Is there any way to cheat the Amazon store to think my phone is in the US without rooting it? :(

Yes. You can give it a fake name, address and cc number. There are generators you can find if you google for it. You can only get the free apps this way, as obviously the store will not process a fake CC.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

bull3964 posted:

It really doesn't matter too much. There's so much prior art out there that it would get smacked down in court. Even the Dutch said Apple's slide to unlock claims against Samsung were invalid.

Honestly it astounds me that people can even apply for patents on things like that.

EDIT: It should also be noted that samsung's default TW lockscreen is very different than the aosp one and doesn't slide along a bounded path anyway.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the widgetlocker update. With the ICS style slider I've gone from 2 sliders down to one slick one with one icon.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

TheDK posted:

Has anyone that bought widgetlocker from amazon been able to update to this crazy cool new version? I feel left out.
:smith:

I got a $2 credit on Amazon and "bought" it with that. Given Amazon's track record in this department, it will be a while before we get the update.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

900ftjesus posted:

I got a $2 credit on Amazon and "bought" it with that. Given Amazon's track record in this department, it will be a while before we get the update.

I was kicking myself this morning when I realized that I paid $3 for WidgetLocker in the market last night and still had that $2 in the Amazon market. Now I think I made the right choice.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I can't use the Amazon Appstore anymore. By accident I found out that once you uninstall the appstore you're unable to launch any of the apps you've downloaded from it. It's like god drat DRM for a free app I only have because it was free. That's ridiculous.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

nickhimself posted:

I can't use the Amazon Appstore anymore. By accident I found out that once you uninstall the appstore you're unable to launch any of the apps you've downloaded from it. It's like god drat DRM for a free app I only have because it was free. That's ridiculous.

Can you uninstall the Android Market? Do you think your regular apps should function properly if you did?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I love the new WidgetLocker update (used it in the past, didn't really care for it, never bothered again until now), but I have to ask a very basic, stupid question: How do you get rid of the brightness and volume sliders? I cannot seem to figure out how to just have the ICS one. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, and boy do I feel dumb... :downs:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I Dont Like You posted:

I love the new WidgetLocker update (used it in the past, didn't really care for it, never bothered again until now), but I have to ask a very basic, stupid question: How do you get rid of the brightness and volume sliders? I cannot seem to figure out how to just have the ICS one. I'm sure there's something obvious I'm missing, and boy do I feel dumb... :downs:

Open Widget Locker (from the App drawer, don't lock the phone) then long press on the slider you want to change. It'll pop up a menu with Edit, Remove, Resize

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I've tried that, and absolutely nothing happens. Works with the unlock slider though. Hmm, maybe I should just uninstall and reinstall..

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I Dont Like You posted:

Yeah, I've tried that, and absolutely nothing happens. Works with the unlock slider though. Hmm, maybe I should just uninstall and reinstall..

Just clear the data on the app. It'll default to only having the ICS slider, which you can then long press on and edit. There are so many new features that you're probably better off starting from scratch.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report:

This is amazing, thanks for taking the time to type it up.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Just clear the data on the app. It'll default to only having the ICS slider, which you can then long press on and edit. There are so many new features that you're probably better off starting from scratch.

I did that, then actually paid attention to one part of the introduction when you open it. Turns out I simply had to long press in between the two sliders. :blush: Thanks to you and dissss.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

beerinator posted:

Can you uninstall the Android Market? Do you think your regular apps should function properly if you did?

Uhhh, yea? A marketplace should be no more then a website with .apk files on it to download. If you install an .apk and remove your file browser, should that app stop working?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So the default messaging app on my friends Droid 2 has been freezing, so I told him to try Handcent. But Handcent is no long on the market for some reason. Anyone know why?

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

TheJoker138 posted:

So the default messaging app on my friends Droid 2 has been freezing, so I told him to try Handcent. But Handcent is no long on the market for some reason. Anyone know why?

No sure, but I replaced it with GoSMS and am reasonably happy.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I was kicking myself this morning when I realized that I paid $3 for WidgetLocker in the market last night and still had that $2 in the Amazon market. Now I think I made the right choice.

I checked the page on Amazon, the new version is posted, it just hasn't shown up on my updated apps list. Uninstalling/reinstalling got the new version.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He's getting the same problem with Go SMS. Does anyone in here know why his stock messaging is freezing every time he tries to use it, even after clearing data and cache? If not I'll pop over to the general Android thread. He's using stock, unrooted Droid 2.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

scarymonkey posted:

Streaming videos from home PC to Android phones and tablets trip report:

This is seriously one of the best posts in the history of the Android Apps Threads.

Testing out Qloud and Emit now. Thank you very much for the recommendations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It's still there but now appears as incompatible with all my devices (even though its installed)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

nickhimself posted:

This and their slow update process is why I haven't purchased anything from the Amazon app store. I download the free apps, but haven't installed/used any of them yet; They're there "just in case."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dissss posted:

It's still there but now appears as incompatible with all my devices (even though its installed)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.handcent.nextsms

If you sign out of your account and try to go to that page with no account, or an account where you don't have it installed somewhere, it says page not found.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Nupraptor posted:

This and their slow update process is why I haven't purchased anything from the Amazon app store. I download the free apps, but haven't installed/used any of them yet; They're there "just in case."

I found all of this out by trying to use the YouTube downloader that's on the appstore after restoring my phone one day. No go because the appstore wasn't installed yet but I DID restore the downloader through TitaniumBackup. After that, it was Fieldrunners. That wouldn't play without the appstore either. That's just ridiculous.

If that's a "thing" then someone needs to create a Steam-esque program that launches games delivered through that service and lets you chat with friends / get daily deals on terrible indie titles, and has great update support. Only caveat is, you have to keep that program running and it's ad-based so you'll periodically get ads on your screen. But hey, free games!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WienerDog posted:

Uhhh, yea? A marketplace should be no more then a website with .apk files on it to download. If you install an .apk and remove your file browser, should that app stop working?

How can you not know that apps are tied to accounts? Ever notice what happens if you hack your phone to remove your google account?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I can't install the latest version of widget locker on my desire Z with CM7. I contacted the developer, and this shouldn't be happening. I've uninstalled market updates, and cleared all market data. Does anyone know of anything else I can try?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So since I got my widgetlocker with the Amazon appstore am I boned? I saw you guys mentioning the update but, like others, it crashes on start up. I'm assuming I just wait a few days? That's soo long :negative:

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Cool free app:

mozimobi - Send and receive text messages through a web browser.

Been trying this recently and it works quite well. I hate friends who text me because I hate typing on my phone, so this will probably become a must have app for me.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

scarymonkey posted:

Cool free app:

mozimobi - Send and receive text messages through a web browser.
In the same vein, DeskSMS makes it possible to send and receive text messages through Google Chat/Talk, the DeskSMS website and a chrome extension. There's even a widget included to control which services you want to sync with.

It's quite fantastic.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

torjus posted:

In the same vein, DeskSMS makes it possible to send and receive text messages through Google Chat/Talk, the DeskSMS website and a chrome extension. There's even a widget included to control which services you want to sync with.

It's quite fantastic.

This looks cool too, from what I read in the comments this one costs $5 a year?

The Amazon free app of the day, Ghost Radar, is loving idiotic.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

scarymonkey posted:

This looks cool too, from what I read in the comments this one costs $5 a year?
That sounds about right, yeah.

• Locked thread