Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevia Prefontane
Feb 13, 2008

My OPI is an hour and a half away. *hyperventilates*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
Just got my orders today to go back to DLI. I'll be there in April. I'm fuckin' hype right now! Only bad thing for me is I hear prior service personnel are monitored like sex offenders when it comes to NPS students. I'm going to be in a basic course with all the impressionable junior enlisted. I should have put in for intermediate or advanced and gone over to Fort Ord, but oh well...lesson learned.

Any goons gonna be there April of next year that wanna get together and listen to Hanson on the weekends.......?

The Betrayer
Jan 1, 2005

tengohemroidz posted:

Any goons gonna be there April of next year that wanna get together and listen to Hanson on the weekends.......?

I'm getting there later this month, I'll totally be down to listen to music featuring hot girls.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tengohemroidz posted:

I'll be there starting in mid-December, but I'm only down if we rock to some Ke$ha.

Buff Tannen
Oct 25, 2009

I just wanna say one thing...God Bless America
Score! Sounds like a plan. You guys both prior service? If so, let me know where you're looking at for off base housing. A lot of people that I know out there now are on Fort Ord, because most housing out in that area is all old 70s style poo poo.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Do you guys get access to La Mesa? I know a lot of the NPS officers live there and the houses are apparently pretty nice.

Stevia Prefontane
Feb 13, 2008

3/2+/2 Mandarin
I'm out of here and it feels so good.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
Well for everyone coming out here, there is no more first look DLPT.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

faddypaddy posted:

Well for everyone coming out here, there is no more first look DLPT.

Excellent.

SirEverlast
Apr 8, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer
Wild Guess #76
Captain “Digger” Boomerang

"The Golden Glider wasn’t th
When and why did they get rid of the second semester DLPT?

Salah al-Din
Sep 28, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns

GreenMeat posted:

Excellent.

Sarcasm or no?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
From what I understand they are saying that the test is getting over exposed to students and they need to protect by eliminating the 2nd semester DLPT. I honestly think it is a way for gov to save money since the Navy, Airforce, and Marines apparently start FLPP pay if someone gets a 2/2 or better on the test.

Tokan
Jul 13, 2010

SirEverlast posted:

When and why did they get rid of the second semester DLPT?
Ditto to what faddypaddy wrote regarding saving money. Additionally, some of the other languages supposedly never offered a first-look DLPT to begin with, and I was told by another NCO that it wasn't even supposed to be occurring in the first place.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Pucklynn posted:

-Not spergy, but stupid and hilarious: This Airman decided he was going to pretend to be a Marine sergeant and was dropping Marines at the smokepit until one of them got a real sergeant out there, at which point said Airman got ripped several new ones.

I actually knew the guy who did that. . . Pretty drat hilarious in my opinion.

I moved off-post as soon as I could get my wife out there so I don't have a million stories about how spergy everyone is but I do have a few. (Just about Air Force though, I only had one Army acquaintance who somehow got kicked out of class for whining a lot.

While on details I had to go through several airman's rooms and found 'sexy' anime statues just sitting on people's desks.

One of the airman in my class refused to shower for months at a time and had so much dandruff it looked like cornflakes. We rotated out the poor bastards who had to sit next to him.

This same guy would brush his teeth at his desk with one of those travel toothbrushes, we were never able to make him understand exactly how disgusting that was.

Spergy things I did:
While I was waiting for phase three I got tricked into collecting Magic the Gathering cards. I quit playing as soon as I moved off post and now own a large bag filled with the drat things. My only reasoning for this is I wasn't interested in partying or drinking as I had promised my wife that I wouldn't.

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.

TheChad posted:

Spergy things I did:
While I was waiting for phase three I got tricked into collecting Magic the Gathering cards. I quit playing as soon as I moved off post and now own a large bag filled with the drat things. My only reasoning for this is I wasn't interested in partying or drinking as I had promised my wife that I wouldn't.

You could probably make some money off those in SA-Mart.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Looking for some advice from any CTI's in here.

I have a friend, who is currently a new reservist in ET A-school, and is multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, and... something else I can't remember). She's in the interview process with the FBI to become a Hebrew linguist for them, but she's also seeing if she could possibly go active and cross over to CTI to learn Arabic. She's apparently been in contact with an E-9 up here who says it's possible and is working with her. She should find out today if she can begin the process to upgrade her clearance to TS. She really wants to learn Arabic and thinks it would benefit her more down the line, but she thinks the money in the FBI would be better, and she will only be able to do one or the other due to her age interfering with the agent selection process (she's 35 right now, and apparently there's no reservist CTI's? I thought there were but hell I don't know).

So basically is there any advice you goons could give me that I could pass on to her?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

The Casualty posted:

Looking for some advice from any CTI's in here.

I have a friend, who is currently a new reservist in ET A-school, and is multi-lingual (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Hebrew, and... something else I can't remember). She's in the interview process with the FBI to become a Hebrew linguist for them, but she's also seeing if she could possibly go active and cross over to CTI to learn Arabic. She's apparently been in contact with an E-9 up here who says it's possible and is working with her. She should find out today if she can begin the process to upgrade her clearance to TS. She really wants to learn Arabic and thinks it would benefit her more down the line, but she thinks the money in the FBI would be better, and she will only be able to do one or the other due to her age interfering with the agent selection process (she's 35 right now, and apparently there's no reservist CTI's? I thought there were but hell I don't know).

So basically is there any advice you goons could give me that I could pass on to her?

My advice is if the FBI gives her an offer, she needs to take them up on it. That is a much larger hoop to jump through than anything military, and obviously will pay better. Also, if the FBI think she would be useful as an Arabic linguist, they will send her to school (I know there are civilians of some sort in classes). She'll get a TS/SCI w/ poly working with the FBI anyway.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

ryan_woody posted:

My advice is if the FBI gives her an offer, she needs to take them up on it. That is a much larger hoop to jump through than anything military, and obviously will pay better. Also, if the FBI think she would be useful as an Arabic linguist, they will send her to school (I know there are civilians of some sort in classes). She'll get a TS/SCI w/ poly working with the FBI anyway.

That's the problem though, the FBI wants her as a Hebrew linguist, and she really wants to learn Arabic on somebody else's dime (which is what the Navy would do for her).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Casualty posted:

That's the problem though, the FBI wants her as a Hebrew linguist, and she really wants to learn Arabic on somebody else's dime (which is what the Navy would do for her).

Tell her to get rosetta stone and start learning it while working for the FBI.

Seriously - she'll make more at the bureau and have less bullshit/headache to deal with.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Henry Meowlins posted:

Tell her to get rosetta stone and start learning it while working for the FBI.

Seriously - she'll make more at the bureau and have less bullshit/headache to deal with.

She loves Rosetta Stone so I'm sure she'd be down with that. I'll let her know next time I see her.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The Casualty posted:

She loves Rosetta Stone so I'm sure she'd be down with that. I'll let her know next time I see her.

I know in the army you can get rosetta stone for free off AKO, I would imagine there is a similar deal for the navy.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
udget cuts and all.

Gooble Gobble fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 9, 2014

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ryan_woody posted:

I know in the army you can get rosetta stone for free off AKO, I would imagine there is a similar deal for the navy.

Not anymore you can't.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gordian posted:

Aww yea, should be at DLI in ~4-5 months, so reading through this thread has made me super excited :patriot:. The paper given to me at MEPS says DLI on April 30th, but I'm done with basic by March 26th so I dunno wtf. Maybe they're giving me time to hitchhike to California because, you know, budget cuts and all.
More like a month of bitchwork.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
So my friend says she's most likely going to go FBI, but she did have one more question. What does a "contract linguist" do?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The Casualty posted:

So my friend says she's most likely going to go FBI, but she did have one more question. What does a "contract linguist" do?

Most likely interpret documents, audio, or translate for people. If I discussed anything more specific than that I'd be afraid of breaching OPSEC.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Casualty posted:

Expose domestic zionist cults

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well I am literally on my way to DLI in all of six hours (Mandarin, for those wondering). How does DLI do Exodus? I'll probably find out on arrival but I'm super curious anyway.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

Professor Bling posted:

Well I am literally on my way to DLI in all of six hours (Mandarin, for those wondering). How does DLI do Exodus? I'll probably find out on arrival but I'm super curious anyway.

Two weeks pass, if I recall, you get off at midnight the first day. I can't think of anything specific that is different.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ryan_woody posted:

Two weeks pass, if I recall, you get off at midnight the first day. I can't think of anything specific that is different.

Yeah two weeks. I made a fortune sticking around and pulling CQ for cash.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been here for all of two weeks.

Holy gently caress someone save me.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
This following your previous post is hilarious to me.

Sorry dude.

Geniepolice
Feb 14, 2005

No wishes, only creepy

Professor Bling posted:

Goto the jellyfish room of the aquarium. It'll calm you down.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Professor Bling posted:

Divorcing yourself from the weirdness there will just give you more time to study. Get out of town every weekend; the folks in Monterey/Pacific Grove hate the military. Trust me; I've been there for three different languages.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm at corry station. Yesterday I saw someone in a bright red zoot suit with heavy black eyeliner walk into the BEQ. I like to imagine everyone at DLI is like this all the time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

More like a month of bitchwork.

I didn't go to DLI (89 or some such on the DLAB :saddowns: ) but had a few in my BCT platoon with similar issues. They went right to DLI after BCT, just the same as those of us who went straight to AIT. I'm going to go out on a limb and say you'll be in a hold platoon or some such picking weeds until you start your course. At least that's how my AIT company was at Fort Huachuca.

Why are people so weird at DLI? I guess Intel MOSes in general attract nerds and there was a fair share of weirdos around Huachuca but you guys make it sound like the bizzaro military. I'm going to be very let down if some of the language requiring people at my unit aren't weird when I meet them in a few weeks.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DoktorLoken posted:

Why are people so weird at DLI? I guess Intel MOSes in general attract nerds and there was a fair share of weirdos around Huachuca but you guys make it sound like the bizzaro military. I'm going to be very let down if some of the language requiring people at my unit aren't weird when I meet them in a few weeks.

To help explain things I made a quick infographic that all the kids seem to be in to these days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

GreenMeat posted:

the folks in Monterey/Pacific Grove hate the military.

I don't think this true at all. I mean the Greenpeace clipboard jockeys at the farmers' market would give me dirty looks if I had fresh hair cut, or was in uniform, but everyone else there was nothing but polite and friendly. I loved Monterey.

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think this true at all. I mean the Greenpeace clipboard jockeys at the farmers' market would give me dirty looks if I had fresh hair cut, or was in uniform, but everyone else there was nothing but polite and friendly. I loved Monterey.

Yeah, I suppose things are different than they were in the early 90's, and the attitude has shifted away from the pre-war attitudes prevalent in the area back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RooskyRex
Aug 22, 2009

You only wish you had a trashcan like mine

ManMythLegend posted:

Monterey is gorgeous, but going to DLI sucked because California (and especially the Bay area) is way too drat expensive and we don't get COLA (AF doesnt at least can't speak for the other services). Not to mention the MTL's at DLI make your life a living hell. I'm happy to have graduated and gotten the hell outta Dodge.

• Locked thread