Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
How did these kids get TS and how did they even make it to their 18th birthday? I have been convinced there is a secret furry population here and well this not only proves it but it seems it is a goon or channer.

I hope this visitor is signing in to my building :swoon:

Now this is what I think of when I hear about cruising for cougars!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
NUKE THAT POST FROM ORBIT GOON SIRE ITS THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
the gently caress is going on in here im leaving this is bullshit.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Wow, this blows the graffiti here on the sub school log books right out the water. The worst we ever get is a random dong or that drat awesome face.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Anyone who draws colon-awesomeface-colon on an official military document should provide photographic proof of their handiwork for awesome prizes

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet
On our watch clipboard we generally just scrawl penises and the names of people we don't like.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought Comm Electronics was rife with the fuckers, I had no idea. :bahgawd:

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces

Hagetaka posted:

Anyone who draws colon-awesomeface-colon on an official military document should provide photographic proof of their handiwork for awesome prizes

I don't know if any visitors log here can be called an official military document really. My last building seemed to have a resident named batman who was getting nightly visits by robin :gay: mostly it was a way to see who was screwing who while bored on watch.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I sort of halfway remember DLI coming up in another thread at some point. I don't have search so I can't find it. Pretty sure someone in there mentioned there was a LARPing group there and a few openly furry people.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

invision posted:

the gently caress is going on in here im leaving this is bullshit.

gently caress is this?

I'm going there in 6 months. loving hell.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

redkillroy posted:

gently caress is this?

I'm going there in 6 months. loving hell.

Told you when you brought it up in the Navy thread. Can't say you weren't warned.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Laranzu posted:

Told you when you brought it up in the Navy thread. Can't say you weren't warned.

I've met.. really strange people throughout my life.

But, truthfully, I thought the "all walks of life" angle within the service was somewhat of a farce. Not to.. this level.

This is like a bigfoot sighting.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I produce infinite faggotry
Is Crazy Cat Girl still there or did they finally send her home?

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

hammeredspace posted:

Is Crazy Cat Girl still there or did they finally send her home?

You've got to be more specific than that.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Are you talking about the old lady that feeds all the stray cats on base? If so then ya she is still here. How does she even get on?

SkippyTheDemon
May 6, 2007
There are a lot of freaks and geeks at DLI, kinda comes with the job field. But furries and such are the highly visible exception, not the rule. You're more likely to see people driven to extreme behavior through stress than people who just come in openly displaying their fetishes.

My own anecdote of creepiness: I remember spending a night in the conference room for the Designated Driver program with a group of kids who were playing Werewolf while loudly voicing their lust for "the lolis". I think it was the last DD session I ever attended.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Glad to see nothing's changed.

My favorite DLI sperg was this female LCpl in Arabic who ended up being put on simultaneous hygiene/suicide watch. Given that only another female could be the watcher, it was 24-7, and we only had like 8 females in Casuals Platoon, she did not endear herself to those 8 who had to shepherd her through the day making sure she put on deodorant, washed her sheets, and didn't slit her wrists.

She was a sickbay commando as well, got all the classic jokes about having a laminated medical chit so you could use a dry-erase marker on it. She had a no-PT chit for "hip trouble" for months, and yet was miraculously cured every Friday at 1600 and would run off base in stiletto hills to meet up with her 300lb LARPer boyfriend. Then our corporal gave her a lecture on how getting laid counted as PT, and he would put her up on Malingering charges if he found out about her getting some.

Oh, and then the guys two doors down from me in the barracks (also into LARP, horror movie figurines, and pretending they were going to be Force Recon someday) were the two that tried to stab a girl to death on the beach in Oceanside. Are those guys still local legend at DLI?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 22, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
My dad was there in the late 90s. Must have been quite a culture shock to go from the infantry to DLI. Although, I don't remember him telling any stories at all about this place and maybe for good reason.

SkippyTheDemon
May 6, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Oh, and then the guys two doors down from me in the barracks (also into LARP, horror movie figurines, and pretending they were going to be Force Recon someday) were the two that tried to stab a girl to death on the beach in Oceanside. Are those guys still local legend at DLI?

I'm not sure about it being common knowledge, but my instructors definitely were there at the time or had heard about it, and relayed it to our class at one point. I was astonished when I read the article. Of course, I shouldn't be that surprised, what with the history of prostitution and meth labs at the post. >_< I wonder how much crazy stuff goes on and just isn't noticed...

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

ElHuevoGrande posted:

You've got to be more specific than that.

GetHardHero posted:

Are you talking about the old lady that feeds all the stray cats on base? If so then ya she is still here. How does she even get on?

Not quite the same person, but I remember the lady feeding the strays near the library. Seemed harmless enough.

No, who I refer to was this weird, mousy little sailor girl who'd wander the barracks with a stuffed cat toy and do the strangest poo poo. Among them I personally witnessed:

- Having entire conversations with herself in the laundry rooms. Once on the first deck, second on the male deck.

- Dropping to her stomach in formation and licking the ground, and then popping back up to attention like it never happened.

- Asking people to talk to her stuffed cat, with her acting as the median between the two.

- Yep, she'd walking around making goddamn cat noises.

- Eating leaf after leaf of paper.

And lots of other stuff which, if not having seen the aforementioned, I would never believe. Here's the kicker: She was a stellar linguist. I mean there's some sort of mental disability going on with this chick, no doubt, but it's the kind that lets her excel in certain areas. That's the only reason they kept her around: the vain hope she'd turn around, drop this bullshit and kick the DLPT5's rear end.

She had been there for months before I showed up, and was there for months after I got out a year later, and it seemed to me that she just might become a set piece, another strange feature of 551.

SkippyTheDemon posted:

I'm not sure about it being common knowledge, but my instructors definitely were there at the time or had heard about it, and relayed it to our class at one point. I was astonished when I read the article. Of course, I shouldn't be that surprised, what with the history of prostitution and meth labs at the post. >_< I wonder how much crazy stuff goes on and just isn't noticed...

I was there for one of their many meth busts. It was an airman; had a mini-meth kitchen in his wall locker.

I remember walking to the chow hall for lunch because the buses weren't in service - later I would find out because of the meth bust - and there were dozens of police running around, several with dogs, and officers and senior enlisted in a goddamn tizzy. It was weird, to say the least. Anyone who bothered to ask anyone anything was told to shut the hell up and go back to class.

Dunno what happened to the airman but it's not hard to imagine. Lotta drug-related issues there; really surprising.

hammeredspace fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I was there in the early 90's for Russian. There were some truly bizarre individuals attending during that time. All us prior service would stay well away and drink our post-PT beers in peace.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
There are a lot of really weird people that get to DLI, but few of them actually make it all the way through training and get their clearance. That was my experience at least.
Is this beach stabbing incident pre 2005/2006 or later? And as another anecdote the whole meth lab thing got busted the weekend I arrived there, good times here's hoping I can get back there.

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008

General Probe posted:

here's hoping I can get back there.

No rational adult would ever want to go back there.

I only miss two things from DLI: Pelican Pizza and Companos.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When I found out what linguists were I thought "I'm smart enough to do that", experience and anecdotes have taught me that "I'm smart enough to not want to do that."

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
Oh I forgot I had this jewel, posted in the mens head in our main Navy barracks.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
I really really don't think it'd be too bad a second time around since as prior service you won't have to spend much time with the 'spergiest of them outside of a classroom. poo poo even when going through the first time no one had to spend any time with them really with the exception of a few severe cases like the shower girl mentioned earlier.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

When I found out what linguists were I thought "I'm smart enough to do that", experience and anecdotes have taught me that "I'm smart enough to not want to do that."

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

GetHardHero posted:

Oh I forgot I had this jewel, posted in the mens head in our main Navy barracks.

hahaha. That is the spergiest way to word something like that EVER.

I play D&D all the time, but... gently caress.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hahah, I was at DLI for Chinese back in 1997. I lived in 652 and had the coolest roommate. Do they still have the rec center with all the guitars and drum sets and poo poo?

Swanky Yankie
Oct 30, 2008

by T. Finn
I never went to DLI, but I worked with linguists. Since DLI and buddy-loving are the only things those people ever talk about I've developed a genuine hatred for the place without ever coming within a thousand miles of it. I know more about the history of DLI than my own tech school.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
As prior service and a squad leader, DLI was pretty much awesome for me. After classes and PT, I'd roll down to the Rose and Crown and get pleasantly shitfaced before heading home to attempt to parse the genitive case.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I can't even imagine what it's like for SF candidates there if they have to sit in the same classes as these retards

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Soiled Meat
Don't worry Hagetaka linguists are no more queer or faggy than any one else in the AF! In fact Humbug Scoolbus epitomizes why I want to go back!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
They run screaming to the nearest bar like the rest of us. I was in offpost housing, so I didn't have to deal with the little darlings unless I was in class, or on CQ.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 25, 2011

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
I remember that everyone who lived in base house loving hated it. Like, constant robberies and weird phenomenon. Marine in my class said he'd come home to find like his front door or a window open and there'd be a deuce stewing in his toilet. The rest of the house was undisturbed. Happened on more than one occasion, too.

GetHardHero
Apr 16, 2007

I am gun down your faces
The author of that D&D flyer is an interesting guy. He went UA for a week because his "spirit adviser" told him to get out of the military. He refuses to believe dragons are loving fictional creatures. The strangest thing, he slipped through the cracks and was never put in a duty section, so he picked one and went every single week and complained every time when his name wasn't called.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Is there a written proficiency exam for Thai that the DoD (or some other government agency) uses that anyone knows about? I'm a civilian and have taken an OPI over the phone (through a contractor, Language Testing International or something like that), but they don't offer a written exam. Most of my language course focused on reading/writing and I'm crap over the phone in any language, so I'm hoping this isn't a permanent bottleneck for me (I'm hoping to get a job with my language skills as an analyst or something, either with the government or a civilian contractor).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The typical trainee at DLI is smarter than your average 18 year old and knows it. That being said, they have the wisdom of a wood louse and the morals of a crack whore.

I had been an 11B for 6 years, and I had never seen an E2-E4 with less common sense than some of my fellow "students".

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there a written proficiency exam for Thai that the DoD (or some other government agency) uses that anyone knows about? I'm a civilian and have taken an OPI over the phone (through a contractor, Language Testing International or something like that), but they don't offer a written exam. Most of my language course focused on reading/writing and I'm crap over the phone in any language, so I'm hoping this isn't a permanent bottleneck for me (I'm hoping to get a job with my language skills as an analyst or something, either with the government or a civilian contractor).

The DLPT (Defense Language Proficiency Test) used to be administered by DLI and most military posts had an education center where it could be given. Note that I have been out of the Army for 15 years so my intel is pretty stale.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 25, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

General Probe posted:

There are a lot of really weird people that get to DLI, but few of them actually make it all the way through training and get their clearance. That was my experience at least.
Is this beach stabbing incident pre 2005/2006 or later? And as another anecdote the whole meth lab thing got busted the weekend I arrived there, good times here's hoping I can get back there.

Took place the night of the USMC Birthday Ball in 2000, but they weren't picked up until early 2001.

Interestingly enough, the best articles about it are filed on The Escapist, a "roleplaying advocacy" site. But here's some quotes from the news:

quote:

Marine Lance Cpl. Carson, a Russian-language student at the prestigious Defense Language Institute in Monterey, was arrested March 15 after allegedly admitting that he and Pvt. Jason Blad, 21, were responsible for the November attack that nearly drained the life from a 20-year-old woman on the Pacific Grove Recreation Trail.

Pacific Grove police said shortly after the arrest that the young Marines apparently just wanted to kill someone, anyone, and had their sights on other targets as well. Though authorities say Carson spelled it all out in a journal found near his barracks bunk, details are being kept under wraps by a court-imposed gag order.

“Jason was very big into role-playing games,” he said. “All the time I was friends with him, he tried to get me into that type of scene. Whether it was Dungeons and Dragons or superhero-type games, Jason was always trying to get me to play them with him.

“My parents, knowing all too well what those types of games have led to, told me never to play them and not to get involved with him.”

Carson was also the "head lyricist" for a parody boy-band that did a couple shows in downtown Monterey.

Somewhere there's a good article with the gory details (and witty one-liners!) of the stabbing attack. I should go dig that ip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hammeredspace
Jun 22, 2008
They still allow drinking at the gazebo? When I got there, they had just shut it down for drinking, and then literally the day after I left it reopened for drinking in response to the number of sailors who were getting picked up for being drunk in public/DUI.

Granted the police targeted the military there and nailed anyone with even a hint of booze on their breath. Even the ones who did the right thing and call a cab were at risk; guy in my Russian class was at the Mucky Duck and had one too many so he called a cab. He was standing outside for it, and the cops loving nailed him.

Seriously if you have any intention on drinking while there, do it somewhere the police can't gently caress with you. The NPS was my choice. Their hotel was something out of The Shining and the rooms so cheap. Perfect for partying or spending the weekend with your girl.

• Locked thread