Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yosuke also supplies poo poo and provides convenient excuses due to be kinda-rich. He also provides a fairly 'regular' character to be a baseline, whereas even Chie/Yukiko are a bit more crazy. (Although Chie is still pretty baseline aside from her kung fu.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Radish posted:

Most of the game you have characters thinking through the clues and coming to different conclusions, some of them closer to the mark than others but it felt like you were zeroing in on the answer. Once Naoto joins, suddenly she knows almost everything and all plans go through her first. For me she really ruins the mood and is also a huge bummer. If she had joined the Investigation Team earlier she's be that person in the group that is always complaining about other people having fun. Luckily she came in late enough to not have as big an effect. I mean how big of a killjoy do you have to be to go to a club to make sure it's not serving alcohol on your own initiative??

Also the amount of times the game goes "Isn't Naoto so cool and awesome? Here's another reason she's so cool and awesome and all these characters are telling you they think she's cool and awesome!" it makes me dislike her just out of stubbornness.

I don't think Naoto was a killjoy for the sake of being a killjoy. Her whole character is about her working with the police and wanting to be respected by them. Simply being a pretentious child is enough for the police to dislike her, and her being a girl would make them tolerate her even less. Her field of choice is male dominated and she felt like she had to become a boy to get anywhere because it's hard for women in the Japanese police force.

She would probably think that "fun" would jeopardize her reputation, and as such, she never really had any friends. She lacks a lot of social skills as a side effect of that, not to mention that she spends more time with adults than she does people her own age.

And considering that I was a conservative, awkward kid with no close friends, I can kinda relate to her in that way. She's really dedicated to her detective work, but is still a naive teenage girl who doesn't even know how to act like a teenage girl. I find that more endearing than annoying.

But I guess I'm in the minority here for really liking her character, since it seems like everyone else detests her.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't really think you can fault Naoto for taking the reigns of the gang's "investigation", since all they really did is wait around until the next kidnapping. Or in Nanako's case, they actively ran away, essentially putting a gigantic neon sign up that said "PLEASE KIDNAP".

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nessa posted:

But I guess I'm in the minority here for really liking her character, since it seems like everyone else detests her.

You're not a really small minority I'd think. I liked her character too.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Nessa posted:

The Black Stones posted:

You're not a really small minority I'd think. I liked her character too.

Yeah, I liked Naoto's character a lot; she was a good addition to the cast. My only issue is that she's the last person to come to the team, but hell, it sounds like that's a positive for a lot of people here.

There are no Persona characters I've ever really outright disliked, except for enemies that are supposed to be disliked.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Neeksy posted:

Plus, her critical hits in battle were badass as gently caress.

This really bears repeating. I mean, she busts off three shots while slowly walking forward and then kicks the bad guy in the junk or their non-humanoid equivalent. It loving rules.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Nessa posted:

I think my avatar makes my feelings clear :hfive:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
From my admittedly limited perspective, I'd almost say people who don't like Naoto are in the minority.

That said, I don't actively dislike her, but I don't care for her too much. She's boring.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Her persona's abilities were kind of garbage though, especially compared to everyone else.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They sound cool on paper (Megadola and instant kill versus all spells) but the almighty spells always end up being too expensive for the mediocre damage they do and instant kills are useless on bosses.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Naoto was like my favorite character from P4 tied with Chie and Adachi. My only problem with Naoto isn't even really a problem with her, it's more of with how everyone else must constantly remind us that she is a girl. You'd think after the dungeon that this was a factor in we would've realized this but nope, Yosuke, Yukiko and several other characters must constantly bring this up as if the player is dumb.

Mind you, she's not that useful outside of random battles but she is the loving queen of them.

EDIT:

Momomo posted:

I don't really think much would change if say, Yosuke didn't exist.

A lot would change, for one my opinion of the game would increase drastically.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 22, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Naoto was like my favorite character from P4 tied with Chie and Adachi. My only problem with Naoto isn't even really a problem with her, it's more of with how everyone else must constantly remind us that she is a girl. You'd think after the dungeon that this was a factor in we would've realized this but nope, Yosuke, Yukiko and several other characters must constantly bring this up as if the player is dumb.

Mind you, she's not that useful outside of random battles but she is the loving queen of them.

I imagine it's not so much to remind the player of it over and over but rather the dev's decision to bang on and on about it like they do with Kanji's sexuality or Rise's stardom.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Spiffo posted:

I imagine it's not so much to remind the player of it over and over but rather the dev's decision to bang on and on about it like they do with Kanji's sexuality or Rise's stardom.

If there's one thing japanese game developers are known for, it's subtlety.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Spiffo posted:

Actually Kanji's sexuality was very well done. It's Yosuke's immaturity that was hammered into your face repeatedly.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Actually Kanji's sexuality was very well done. It's Yosuke's immaturity that was hammered into your face repeatedly.

This is true, they hammered it in via Yosuke. Frankly it made me drop Yosuke altogether and bring Kanji into my battle team.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

As much of a dickface as Yosuke is, without him, we wouldn't have the awesome cultural festival scene. I love seeing how uncomfortable he is dressed as a girl, while Kanji is just rolling with it like a cool dude. And Teddy, of course, is the man.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nessa posted:

As much of a dickface as Yosuke is, without him, we wouldn't have the awesome cultural festival scene.

I hated the Culture Festival aside from the S. Link stuff, so really I'm absolutely fine with that.

EDIT:

Catalina" posted:

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but you can hold down the triangle button to speed through a scene.

So this magically poofs the scene, me seeing it and it being bad out of existence somehow?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2011

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Justice posted:

If there's one thing japanese game developers are known for, it's subtlety.

This made me laugh. Especially if I add "JRPG" before "game" in that sentence. I mean, there's...there's Team Ico, right? Other than that I think I'm drawing a blank.

I personally thought the culture fest scene was kind of funny...the bathing suit contest was kinda creepy, but it had funny parts. But I liked the crossdressing part. The Persona 4 characters sort of make me think of anime characters that are aspiring to be a bit more like real people, so it's kind of funny to see them have to suffer through some anime tropes. It feels kind of self-aware.

I know a lot of people don't like that scene though. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but you can hold down the triangle button to speed through a scene.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Okay this has been on my mind since beating Persona 4. A certain event on December 6th made me curious.

Spoiled for the people who haven't spent 70 hours on this game
Is Teddie the shadow of Souji? That's vibe I got. It makes sense because Teddie is a shadow, he first appeared when Souji entered the T.V. world, and on December 6th he appeared within the Velvet room saying "It's not like my world… Something just feels so nostalgic about this place… Could this be your dream world, Sensei…?"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CharismaticHorsey posted:

he first appeared when Souji entered the T.V. world

Interesting idea, but it can't possibly be the case since this one key thing is just untrue. He was blatantly around when Saki was thrown in, and he states that he was around before even that.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Sex_Ferguson posted:

EDIT:

I think that's more just a case of Yosuke being a sexist twat as per usual.

e:
Beaten, really should read a few posts ahead before I reply.

For some better content, I finally got around to playing P3P after borrowing my friends PSP. I played FES on the PS2 at the start of the year and thought it was boring as hell, but since they improved the battle system and let you start from whichever floor you left of on I really enjoyed it, made the dungeons actually fun rather than just tedious. Also romancing Shinji was :3: as hell.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 24, 2011

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I actually never hated any of the P4 cast at all, rather, I find it a little weird to hate on anyone. Yosuke's immature, sure, but he's also a Sophomore in his class, and in the beginning of the game, you'd know he isn't going to be the brightest bulb on the team. I found him pretty funny throughout the game, and not once wanted to kick him off, since even gameplay-wise, he was useful for his jack-of-all-trades skill list.

I do like the idea of Teddie being Yu's Shadow, it sounds like a funny twist, though by the end of it... Was it canon that Teddie's existence stems from people in general alone, and he developed his own ego? I read that SOMEwhere, but I don't know if it were factual information or not.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Dragonatrix posted:

Interesting idea, but it can't possibly be the case since this one key thing is just untrue. He was blatantly around when Saki was thrown in, and he states that he was around before even that.

That's more than fair. However, if we were to indulge in more spoilers, Souji technically entered the T.V. long before Saki was thrown in. He stuck his hand in during that one animated video and is almost sucked into the other world. Much later on he sticks his hand in the T.V. so Yosuke can ask Teddie to be on the look out for Yukiko. We learn that Souji can interact with the other world without being all the way inside. Therefore he could have created Teddie the first time he stuck his hand inside. Also, we never learn how long Teddie has existed so it's all relative. To a being that has been alive for three days, a single day would be a third of its lifetime.

Man, I feel a little bad about that giant black blob.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

That's more than fair. However, if we were to indulge in more spoilers, Souji technically entered the T.V. long before Saki was thrown in. He stuck his hand in during that one animated video and is almost sucked into the other world. Much later on he sticks his hand in the T.V. so Yosuke can ask Teddie to be on the look out for Yukiko. We learn that Souji can interact with the other world without being all the way inside. Therefore he could have created Teddie the first time he stuck his hand inside. Also, we never learn how long Teddie has existed so it's all relative. To a being that has been alive for three days, a single day would be a third of its lifetime.

Man, I feel a little bad about that giant black blob.

I dunno. I don't really think 3 days is long enough for Teddie to have evolved from a shadow into a unique entity with an ego, and figure out how to make glasses, why people would need glasses and know when the shadows get restless. He seemed to know a fair bit about the TV world. He'd have to have been around for at least one fog cycle to figure that stuff out.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Nessa posted:

I dunno. I don't really think 3 days is long enough for Teddie to have evolved from a shadow into a unique entity with an ego, and figure out how to make glasses, why people would need glasses and know when the shadows get restless. He seemed to know a fair bit about the TV world. He'd have to have been around for at least one fog cycle to figure that stuff out.

That's true… I dunno, maybe I just want this to be the case. haha

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

That's true… I dunno, maybe I just want this to be the case. haha

I'd say there are other problem as well:
He doesn't act like a shadow, he doesn't seems to be Souji's repressed side. All of the other Shadow have consistently been rather hostile to their hosts and harp on how they lie to themselves.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Iceclaw posted:

I'd say there are other problem as well:
He doesn't act like a shadow, he doesn't seems to be Souji's repressed side. All of the other Shadow have consistently been rather hostile to their hosts and harp on how they lie to themselves.

That's just because Souji is chill enough to have a friendly shadow as his darkside.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Pureauthor posted:

That's just because Souji is chill enough to have a friendly shadow as his darkside.

Isn't that contradictory with the very definition of a Shadow?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Iceclaw posted:

Isn't that contradictory with the very definition of a Shadow?

His deep dark secret is that he's chill as hell.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Law posted:

His deep dark secret is that he's chill as hell.

His deep dark secret is that he's a furry.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

I actually never hated any of the P4 cast at all, rather, I find it a little weird to hate on anyone. Yosuke's immature, sure, but he's also a Sophomore in his class, and in the beginning of the game, you'd know he isn't going to be the brightest bulb on the team. I found him pretty funny throughout the game, and not once wanted to kick him off, since even gameplay-wise, he was useful for his jack-of-all-trades skill list.

He constantly made fun of Kanji for being gay, something he almost literally killed himself over. That's not really something friends do. There's also the whole issue of him not caring about Saki, only to get really emotional when faced with the murders. I realize it's possible he could've started caring afterwards, but it just felt really weird for him to act that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

He constantly made fun of Kanji for being gay, something he almost literally killed himself over. That's not really something friends do.

Man, if only that was actually true. :smith:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Momomo posted:

He constantly made fun of Kanji for being gay, something he almost literally killed himself over. That's not really something friends do. There's also the whole issue of him not caring about Saki, only to get really emotional when faced with the murders. I realize it's possible he could've started caring afterwards, but it just felt really weird for him to act that way.

I dunno, I guess my suspension of disbelief allowed me to believe in Yosuke's prankster-like character throughout the game, heh. His whole thing with Kanji, I took to him being too immature to really understand or talk about without resorting to being creeped out. He's supposed to be a foil to how stoic Yu in the game appears to be, and it works, with his brash-ness being contrasted even by near the end of the game with how he's the most vocal about his opinion of wanting to push Namatane into the TV.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

I dunno, I guess my suspension of disbelief allowed me to believe in Yosuke's prankster-like character throughout the game, heh. His whole thing with Kanji, I took to him being too immature to really understand or talk about without resorting to being creeped out.

I could understand this if there weren't scenes like the one in the tent. If he didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't say things like "Is it safe for us to be in here with him?" He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Can you really blame him, though? He's had attitudes like that beaten into his head his entire life. I might be misremembering, but I think he gets better about it as the game goes on.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
He made fun of Kanji a few times and got over it as the game went on. IIRC the tent scenario was the last time it was ever mentioned.

Though I never did the bro Christmas, which seems like a point where that would spring up again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nobody else makes those kinds of statements towards Kanji, so yeah, I can blame him. I'd also think it'd be common sense to have some sensitivity to these things when they literally battle people's self doubts on a regular basis.

edit: I don't really remember specific parts where he mentions it, I just remember in general. Of course, it's not really the only reason I dislike Yosuke (he's an asshsole in general), but that was probably the worst of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Nobody else makes those kinds of statements towards Kanji, so yeah, I can blame him. I'd also think it'd be common sense to have some sensitivity to these things when they literally battle people's self doubts on a regular basis.

You really don't know teenagers very well. Even friendly teenagers will make some pretty drat hurtful comments about stuff like that. It's not even meant to be as "I dislike you" thing, it is just that most teenagers are kind of assholes, especially about sensitive matters like that.

As far as Yousuke being the only one to do so: Yousuke is literally the only male character besides Kanji himself and the silent protagonist Yu, so there isn't really anyone else to make those comments in the same way Yousuke would.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 24, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, really. Go to any American high school and you'll see tons of kids making comments like that. Yosuke was being a cock, don't get me wrong, but he got over it and treated Kanji as a friend and someone he could trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You really don't know teenagers very well. Even friendly teenagers will make some pretty drat hurtful comments about stuff like that. It's not even meant to be as "I dislike you" thing, it is just that most teenagers are kind of assholes, especially about sensitive matters like that.

The whole game is about getting past these things though, it feels very wrong that Yosuke could see a guy feel this way and then make fun of him.

quote:

Yeah, really. Go to any American high school and you'll see tons of kids making comments like that. Yosuke was being a cock, don't get me wrong, but he got over it and treated Kanji as a friend and someone he could trust.

Did he, though? I can't think of any scenes that portray this.