Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

vxskud posted:

So I see there is now a minecraft game for iOS, is it any good? Is it playable on an iPhone 4 or is it more for iPad? Is it worth 6.99?

It's pretty much the same as the free creative version. Works on the iPhone, but not really worth the $7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Whilst farting I posted:

Am I missing a method for players to move any non-trivial distance that doesn't require a shitton of gold or obsidian? I know that boosters were a glitch but figured they left them in pending an update that would introduce another inexpensive way to travel. :wtc:

1 booster rail piece = 34 blocks of flat surface travel at full speed, or 59 blocks at 75% speed. I believe 1 every 100 blocks ends up with 40% speed

6 gold bar + 1 stick + 1 redstone allows you to cover 210 blocks at full speed, 360 at 75%, 606 at 40% speed.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Has any use been discovered for Magma Cream? I see it on the minecraft wiki, but there's no use listed.

Also, I've only made two new worlds since the update, but both had the same odd problem, unless it's not a problem and I'm just not aware.

In both worlds, traveling to either The Nether or The End both give me the same problem: When I get there, I'm on a tiny (maybe 10 blocks by 10 blocks) floating island, so if I want to get to the mainland, I have to make a bridge with dozens and dozens of blocks to get to the main area. I read somewhere that playing on "peaceful" mode causes you to make a bridge to the main part of the End, but I wasn't on peaceful on either of those worlds.

Of course, I just made a new world and got rid of my old ones, because I'm anal and hate seeing all those worlds to choose from while playing, so I don't have screenshots. In The End it wasn't a big deal, except if I died and went back the dragon would immediate come down and knock me off my bridge, but in The Nether it was a real pain because the island was always floating far above the rest, and making steps down is hard if not impossible. At least as far as I've found.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you're worried about conserving resources in your travel systems, put your rail network in the Nether to multiply your efficiency! :eng101:

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Has any use been discovered for Magma Cream? I see it on the minecraft wiki, but there's no use listed.

Put it in an awkward potion to make a potion of fire resistance. It's a reagent.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Making steps down is hard if not impossible. At least as far as I've found.

I've found a way that's easy enough, if not convoluted. Basically, on a 3-wide stone bridge, you build a center "tongue" of a single stone block out, stack two dirt on it, put another dirt block to the side of the topmost dirt block, and another dirt on top of that. Now you can stick a piston onto the side of that topmost dirt block, over the first 2-stack of dirt blocks, while looking directly up, so that the piston is pointed down at the original 2-stack. Pop a button on the topmost dirt block next to the piston, click, and bam, that tongue of stone is pushed down and ready for you to build the stairs off of.

code:
S = stone
D = dirt
P = down-facing piston
B = button on dirt

PB
 DD
 D
 S

In this example, the bridge would continue perpendicular to the screen
I made a pretty extensive pathway through the Nether like that, and while I lost a few dirt now and then, I was always able to recover my piston and button, even when making huge stairways over lava lakes.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Whilst farting I posted:

Am I missing a method for players to move any non-trivial distance that doesn't require a shitton of gold or obsidian? I know that boosters were a glitch but figured they left them in pending an update that would introduce another inexpensive way to travel. :wtc:

Craft a furnace with a minecart to make a powered minecart. When you right click on it with coal in hand, you will insert one coal and it will begin moving away from you. Make sure you have another minecart for it to push, and just get into it before it gets too far.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Install Gentoo posted:

1 booster rail piece = 34 blocks of flat surface travel at full speed, or 59 blocks at 75% speed. I believe 1 every 100 blocks ends up with 40% speed

6 gold bar + 1 stick + 1 redstone allows you to cover 210 blocks at full speed, 360 at 75%, 606 at 40% speed.

Are there numbers for this for Empty minecarts? I've noticed that empty minecarts go significantly shorter distances (for some reason)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm amazed that the release version of the game still contains almost zero help and guidance for new players. Would it really have been a big job just to expand that achievement list out a bit? Or put in a recipe book that shows all the things you can make in the game? (Perhaps not listing the ingredients until you actually find your first piece of that raw material.)

It's kind of ridiculous that the achievements jump right from finding iron to travelling 1km by rail. I don't know about you, but I certainly see a few extra steps happening between those two things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChewyLSB posted:

Are there numbers for this for Empty minecarts? I've noticed that empty minecarts go significantly shorter distances (for some reason)

Oh, well, empty minecarts require a poo poo load more powered rails than full ones. The minecraft wiki doesn't' have numbers for them like I used for the last post, however, on my multiplayer server the empty minecarts were put on a system with powered rail every 10 blocks which I believe will get you full speed all the time.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Install Gentoo posted:

Oh, well, empty minecarts require a poo poo load more powered rails than full ones. The minecraft wiki doesn't' have numbers for them like I used for the last post, however, on my multiplayer server the empty minecarts were put on a system with powered rail every 10 blocks which I believe will get you full speed all the time.

I don't know if this is intended behavior or not but other way its really stupid and has always annoyed me. Making supply trains is a lot more annoying because of this.

Also, if you send an empty minecart away, do they update if they're not close to a player? I'm guessing they don't which is also really annoying.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
People seem to be forgetting about engine minecarts. Sure they're slower but empty minecarts will stop travelling once they leave an active chunk anyhow.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

I have no idea how anyone could "release" a game with so many flaws and bugs still present. I mean, I know they set themselves a deadline, but could they not have set a deadline about six months from now instead? Give themselves enough time to fix all the problems and add in all the much-needed gameplay stuff?

I imagine bugs would normally be dealt with quite harshly during alpha and beta testing, but because the community that loves Minecraft were the alpha and beta testers, these reports were bet with "It's just a BETA, and it was ONLY $10 what do you expect you entitled little turd?!" I'm surprised at the backlash of the game's final content because I guess they expected Notch to turn around and do a complete 180 from what he was doing before and complete a competently-coded game that is also not what he was releasing with the prerelease patches. I don't know why they expected him to do something different from what he has been doing the past 2 years.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a schematic for an extremely compact vertical minecart track? I don't care if I'll be suffocating the whole way but I have about a 1x4 area to work with and very little leeway. I'd like to just push a button and it goes to the top- or ideally, the minecart at the top is sent to the bottom and the one at the bottom is sent to the top (I can handle the redstone).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evilreaver posted:

Anyone have a schematic for an extremely compact vertical minecart track? I don't care if I'll be suffocating the whole way but I have about a 1x4 area to work with and very little leeway. I'd like to just push a button and it goes to the top- or ideally, the minecart at the top is sent to the bottom and the one at the bottom is sent to the top (I can handle the redstone).
1x4? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do anything vertically in 1x4 because there's nowhere for a minecart to turn around. Unless you just want to go down, it which case I think you could just make the minecart keep dropping. I can't think of any way possible to go up.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Devoyniche posted:

I imagine bugs would normally be dealt with quite harshly during alpha and beta testing, but because the community that loves Minecraft were the alpha and beta testers, these reports were bet with "It's just a BETA, and it was ONLY $10 what do you expect you entitled little turd?!" I'm surprised at the backlash of the game's final content because I guess they expected Notch to turn around and do a complete 180 from what he was doing before and complete a competently-coded game that is also not what he was releasing with the prerelease patches. I don't know why they expected him to do something different from what he has been doing the past 2 years.

What always bothered me is during alpha and beta stages there was never any sort of formal error submission form. I know the game was kind of alpha/beta in name only but really, would having some sort of system to report errors have been so hard?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Evilreaver posted:

There's a glitch where minecarts can go upward through blocks diagonally. Maybe that could be put to good use?

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Evilreaver posted:

This works in 1x5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0-bRgOYvU

The same technique can't be used for a 1x4 shaft because the diagonal track pieces that the cart jumps to can't have blocks diagonally above them, or else the cart will get stuck, and you also can't eliminate the end pieces or else the cart will simply roll through the side blocks since it starts out already clipping them upon jumping up a level. There may be solutions that use pistons instead of track, but using track pieces looks like it will require a shaft of length 5 if it's only 1 wide.

edit:

Devoyniche posted:

I don't know why they expected him to do something different from what he has been doing the past 2 years.

I didn't expect him to do anything differently himself, I expected him to invest some of his newfound $50 million in hiring people to do the stuff -- in the game which got him that $50 million -- that he clearly had no interest in doing. Given the pace at which he and Jeb were developing things, he should have realized by May at the latest that he should hire someone to work just on the engine (both how it utilizes system resources and how it updates stuff in-game), someone to work just on how blocks/entities behave in-game, and then he and Jeb could focus exclusively on lighting, graphical glitches, and adding content.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 30, 2011

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Willie Trombone posted:

I didn't expect him to do anything differently himself, I expected him to invest some of his newfound $50 million in hiring people to do the stuff -- in the game which got him that $50 million -- that he clearly had no interest in doing. Given the pace at which he and Jeb were developing things, he should have realized by May at the latest that he should hire someone to work just on the engine (both how it utilizes system resources and how it updates stuff in-game), someone to work just on how blocks/entities behave in-game, and then he and Jeb could focus exclusively on lighting, graphical glitches, and adding content.

Imagine if a year ago, they had actually hired a few of the best modders as coders, even on a long-distance freelance basis.

Or if we had a dungeon/adventure mode or whatever he was talking about implementing, where people could make actual adventure maps with rule sets that affected gameplay, and the associated game logic type blocks to allow really elaborate functional stuff.

:sigh:

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Locus posted:

Imagine if a year ago, they had actually hired a few of the best modders as coders, even on a long-distance freelance basis.

Or if we had a dungeon/adventure mode or whatever he was talking about implementing, where people could make actual adventure maps with rule sets that affected gameplay, and the associated game logic type blocks to allow really elaborate functional stuff.

Yeah, at least they're bringing in an AI coder finally, but, again, that should have happened half a year ago when people first started posting videos of wolves walking into fire for no reason, and perhaps testificates would have been working in some fashion before the game was released.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Locus posted:

I'd love it if Minecraft had another mode: Deathmach. It would be a HUGE undertaking (so not likely to ever happen), but in the regular, SSP/creative mode, you build, and the game acts like normal, but in deathmatch mode, you'd take the place you built, and go online and fight like a regular FPS or something.

Imagine this: You start a new seed, like normal. You're given a new block type that acts as a 'limit', and you get to place 4 of them within a reasonable distance from each other, thus creating an area that could be considered the 'play' area. Then, when importing your map into the deathmatch mode, it would render everything differently than normal, so the physics worked better, and the game wouldn't have to constantly be worried about generating new chunks or any of that other overhead, because the world is already 'set'. The game world that is generated is everything that's within your defined area, plus maybe... 5 chunk-widths on each side, so that it doesn't look like everything just cuts off where you defined the edge, but you don't get to walk outside of it.

Minecraft seems to be the kind of game that would be awesome if you built a map, and then fought people on it, but sadly, with the laggy and buggy netcode, it doesn't quite get there (close, but not quite). If there was a way for the game to take what you've built, and then (temporarily) just forget about doing most of the calculations it normally has to for being a game where almost everything is destroyable, it would be oddly... solid. And, ideally, the deathmatch mode would have projectiles, and more weapons, plus better fighting in general.

There is probably NO possibility of this every happening, even with mods, is there?

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
From watching the adventure maps that the Yogscast play, one simple thing could make them better: Keys. Have a red key that opens a red door, a blue key that opens a blue door, etc.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love it if Minecraft had another mode: Deathmach.

Have you given Ace of Spades a try?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Tracula posted:

Have you given Ace of Spades a try?

Imagine if in Minecraft, all the blocks were half their usual size. And intead of being crisply cube-like, they all seemed to be made of modeling clay and seemed kind of distorted. And you have guns.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Oh don't get me wrong, Ace of Spades has it's problems and you get what you pay for when playing it (it's free) but it's the closest thing out there to being like Minecraft with Deathmatch and CTF.

I really do think if the net code was better and with the proper mods Minecraft could be one of the best competitive multiplayer games ever. I could see some awesome siege maps where you literally have to tear apart the enemies fortress to get inside. Even regular deathmatch maps would be great with the ability to destroy terrain opening up all new strategies.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tracula posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, Ace of Spades has it's problems and you get what you pay for when playing it (it's free) but it's the closest thing out there to being like Minecraft with Deathmatch and CTF.

I really do think if the net code was better and with the proper mods Minecraft could be one of the best competitive multiplayer games ever. I could see some awesome siege maps where you literally have to tear apart the enemies fortress to get inside. Even regular deathmatch maps would be great with the ability to destroy terrain opening up all new strategies.

Your in luck!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Willie Trombone posted:

This works in 1x5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0-bRgOYvU

The same technique can't be used for a 1x4 shaft because the diagonal track pieces that the cart jumps to can't have blocks diagonally above them, or else the cart will get stuck, and you also can't eliminate the end pieces or else the cart will simply roll through the side blocks since it starts out already clipping them upon jumping up a level. There may be solutions that use pistons instead of track, but using track pieces looks like it will require a shaft of length 5 if it's only 1 wide.

edit:

Man, what. :psyduck:

edit: To be clear that's at your video, I totally agree with your edit.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love it if Minecraft had another mode: Deathmach. It would be a HUGE undertaking (so not likely to ever happen), but in the regular, SSP/creative mode, you build, and the game acts like normal, but in deathmatch mode, you'd take the place you built, and go online and fight like a regular FPS or something.

Imagine this: You start a new seed, like normal. You're given a new block type that acts as a 'limit', and you get to place 4 of them within a reasonable distance from each other, thus creating an area that could be considered the 'play' area. Then, when importing your map into the deathmatch mode, it would render everything differently than normal, so the physics worked better, and the game wouldn't have to constantly be worried about generating new chunks or any of that other overhead, because the world is already 'set'. The game world that is generated is everything that's within your defined area, plus maybe... 5 chunk-widths on each side, so that it doesn't look like everything just cuts off where you defined the edge, but you don't get to walk outside of it.

Minecraft seems to be the kind of game that would be awesome if you built a map, and then fought people on it, but sadly, with the laggy and buggy netcode, it doesn't quite get there (close, but not quite). If there was a way for the game to take what you've built, and then (temporarily) just forget about doing most of the calculations it normally has to for being a game where almost everything is destroyable, it would be oddly... solid. And, ideally, the deathmatch mode would have projectiles, and more weapons, plus better fighting in general.

There is probably NO possibility of this every happening, even with mods, is there?
Blockland is somewhat similar to this. You can build giant structures with blocks and then deathmatch in them, and while the vanilla weapon selection is pretty crappy, there's a ton of people modding in new weapons and a ton of ones you can install pretty easily. There used to be a thread about it, but I think it's in archives now.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Man, what. :psyduck:

edit: To be clear that's at your video, I totally agree with your edit.

Minecraft has enough bugs in it at this point that the most efficient way to do most things is through the utilization of bugs rather than through using things as they were intended to work... which reminds me:

Whilst farting I posted:

Is there any way to have minecart boosters without powered rails with the 1.0 update? If so, what's the best way to make a two-way resetting booster? I used to have a simple one on an old map but don't have it anymore.

You cannot use the typical old-style boosters in 1.0.0 Minecraft, but you can use the atypical stacked cart booster where you get two minecarts sitting in exactly the same place on a piece of track and then get pushed by something (or more conveniently, have the two carts sit on an unpowered powerable track piece with one end against a wall, then get in one, and power the track piece). The upside to this is that you go forever without needing additional boosts. The downside is that you can only stop byhitting a wall, derailing, or by getting out and risking losing both carts as they keep on travelling down the rail forever.

Edit: Also note that, when they readded this bug for 1.0.0, they did it in such a way that if you stack many carts, once you derail you risk the other carts going off indefinitely over flat land and cliffs, and even sliding along walls when they reach them.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 30, 2011

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So...I just made my first new world since 1.2.... Does snow not accumulate on top of trees anymore?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Travic posted:

So...I just made my first new world since 1.2.... Does snow not accumulate on top of trees anymore?

Whenever it rains in most biomes, it will start snowing in winter biomes. Then snow will accumulate.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
edit: removed.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 2, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What mapping software is this? There's like eight million of them, and I can never remember which ones I've tried to make work on my machine (so far only Minutor has worked.)

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Allen Wren posted:

What mapping software is this? There's like eight million of them, and I can never remember which ones I've tried to make work on my machine (so far only Minutor has worked.)

Cartograph G

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Is there an easy way to get Cartograph G to render a bunch of different views of the same map one after the other? Like set up a queue so that I can just set it up once and have it automatically do isometric from all 4 angles instead of having it do north, waiting, changing the option to east, waiting etc.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

PalmTreeFun posted:

Whenever it rains in most biomes, it will start snowing in winter biomes. Then snow will accumulate.

It was snowing. Trees were bare :(

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Willie Trombone posted:

Seriously, this. With that kind of money he could've had all the stuff he ever talked about in the game by now and have it several times more bug free. But nooo.... Just hire people more people than one a year!!! :argh:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey guys give him a little slack he's just a small-time indie developer just barely squeaking by we should feel grateful for the game as is and if you even so much as think about complaining I will call you an entitled baby so fast it will make your head spin.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Man I spent ~30 levels on two gold pickaxes trying to get silk touch. Instead got unbreaking II/efficiency II/ fortune I and unbreaking III on the other. Not bad I guess but I already have a diamond pick with unbreaking III. :/ think I'll just invedit some ice blocks already, man.

Anyway there's not enough pictures itt so here ya go:

My little hovel on an alto plano. The chimney is at height limit.

I like the world a lot but I'm afraid to explore any more since I gen'd it on one of the pre-releases and idk if the terrain generator has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If you're talking the 1.9 prereleases, it should be fine. I think the last changes were to worldgen were 1.7->1.8 and 1.8->1.9.