Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Jackal posted:

I just got a Safety Recall for 23J9/V5 (Golf TDI)
Common Rail Diesel Engine/Clean Diesel Engine Fuel Injection Lines

It sounds like my car can spontaneously burst into flames. Should I be hauling rear end to the dealer to get this fixed? Anyone have had this fix done on their car and have some stuff to point out when I take it in?

Pretty sure it's the dampeners. Some guy on TDI Club has pics. It looks silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
Is there anything that can be done to remedy windows freezing shut every cold morning on the Mk6s? I just can't roll them down until I've blasted the heater for half an hour. I've always lived in cold areas but never had this problem with a power windowed car before this VW.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

Is there anything that can be done to remedy windows freezing shut every cold morning on the Mk6s? I just can't roll them down until I've blasted the heater for half an hour. I've always lived in cold areas but never had this problem with a power windowed car before this VW.

If it's the standard/generic "frozen to the gasket" problem, I've always had luck wiping the windows channels/gaskets down with silicone spray.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

In Canada the MKVI Golf TDIs have sport suspension as a standard option, presumably to increase the fun of the ride because you took the horsepower hit.

Well from what I've read, there are 4 sets of springs from factory. The GTI, "sport", TDI, and standard golf springs. I'm just curious what the difference if any there is between what the TDI comes with and the so called sport springs. I want to lower the car about an inch but I'm trying to stay oem if possible.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I just got a Safety Recall for 23J9/V5 (Golf TDI)
Common Rail Diesel Engine/Clean Diesel Engine Fuel Injection Lines

It sounds like my car can spontaneously burst into flames. Should I be hauling rear end to the dealer to get this fixed? Anyone have had this fix done on their car and have some stuff to point out when I take it in?

No big worries - the recall is for noise/vibration from the fuel lines. The car will get 4 rubber buffers and maybe a new fuel line on cylinder 2 if required.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Hey my1999gsr, what do you know about the current gen Golf springs. How much lower are the VW "sport springs" vs the stock TDI Golf springs?

To be honest I don't really know offhand. I can check the alignment specs on Monday and see if there's a ride height spec for the different models.

hdizzle
Dec 6, 2006
fo' shizzle
Looking at a 1997 A4 2.8 w/Quattro and a 5 speed on Saturday morning. It's a 2 owner car with 118k, am I getting into something totally stupid? Anything in particular that I should look for in these cars?

I'm intermediate mechanically and it would be a second car that I'm not putting a ton of miles on, maybe 5,000 miles a year? I have a nice garage with pretty good tools, and the budget to buy more if necessary. I just want something with a little luxury that I can take back and forth over the mountain passes to go skiing and snowshoeing.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Hey Zorak, what's the word on your S4? Was it a battery problem after all or was it something worse like the starter motor, alternator or something?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DerDestroyer posted:

Hey Zorak, what's the word on your S4? Was it a battery problem after all or was it something worse like the starter motor, alternator or something?

Battery. They charged it, threw it on their tester/analyzer/whatever, and it failed convincingly.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think my battery is starting to poo poo the bed, actually; sometimes, the starter will crank really hard/unusually long, and it'll take a good 10 seconds for interior lights and electronics to come up and running. (Car starts, but only the IP is lit up, all the other lights/devices take time to start up) The voltage must really be sagging, I should really get this taken care of before I get stuck somewhere.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Better make the appointment now to get that fixed. When my car began to start hesitantly it was about 2 weeks until the battery gave up the ghost altogether... fortunately I was at the dealership at the time =/

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Is there any way to disable the ding when the car detects a temperature below 39 degrees? It doesn't happen often enough in TX for me to get used to it, so it surprises me every time, and I don't need the car to warn me that there might be ice.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

mastermind2004 posted:

Is there any way to disable the ding when the car detects a temperature below 39 degrees? It doesn't happen often enough in TX for me to get used to it, so it surprises me every time, and I don't need the car to warn me that there might be ice.

Glad I'm not the only one. That ding always startles me and pisses me off.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Are there any other GT28/k04 kits for MKV GTI's besides the one from ATP? I know there is the APR one but at $4200 it's a bit pricy. Didn't Eurojet used to make one as well? I can't seem to find it anymore.

From what I've been able to find the ATP one seems to be cheapest but doesn't include the HPFP, injectors, or software.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

el topo posted:

Better make the appointment now to get that fixed. When my car began to start hesitantly it was about 2 weeks until the battery gave up the ghost altogether... fortunately I was at the dealership at the time =/

My vehicle is still CPO, would battery be covered under that? Or is it a wear item and I should just replace it myself/find a place to replace it? I figured it'd be nice to have a dealer test the battery as well to make sure it isn't some other hardware in my car that's flaking out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

movax posted:

My vehicle is still CPO, would battery be covered under that? Or is it a wear item and I should just replace it myself/find a place to replace it? I figured it'd be nice to have a dealer test the battery as well to make sure it isn't some other hardware in my car that's flaking out.

Usually battery / brakes / rubber items (including belts) are specifically excluded from CPO.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Usually battery / brakes / rubber items (including belts) are specifically excluded from CPO.

Makes sense. My brakes are starting to squeal too, so now I guess the question is, I don't know of a reliable 3rd-party shop around here that handles German vehicles (Ann Arbor, MI area), so am I stuck going to the dealer then? Figure I'll get it all taken care of in one fell swoop.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

movax posted:

Makes sense. My brakes are starting to squeal too, so now I guess the question is, I don't know of a reliable 3rd-party shop around here that handles German vehicles (Ann Arbor, MI area), so am I stuck going to the dealer then? Figure I'll get it all taken care of in one fell swoop.
Odds are your CPO will cover your battery -I've replaced piles of them under CPO.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

movax posted:

My battery failed within like 2 months of my CPO warranty expiring :argh: however I'm not sure it would have been covered anyway. It seems more a wear-and-tear item, like brake pads.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

my1999gsr posted:

Odds are your CPO will cover your battery -I've replaced piles of them under CPO.
Whaaaa! I had my battery die literally 2 days after I picked up my A4 and they made me buy a new goddamned battery.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

movax posted:

ArborMotion does a lot of work on German cars. Every time I go there, the place is about 90% 911s. That many rich wankers are probably all wrong about something, but hopefully it isn't car care.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

real_scud posted:

Whaaaa! I had my battery die literally 2 days after I picked up my A4 and they made me buy a new goddamned battery.

On a CPO inspection (the inspection we do prior to the vehicle being sold as a CPO'd Audi) I have to test the battery and attach the test result printout to the CPO checklist. If the Audi fails any part of the checklist the dealership can either repair the problem(s) or not sell the car as a Certified Pre-Owned Audi. Once the vehicle is sold as CPO then it has warranty coverage as per the CPO agreement which should cover the battery.

Bottom line, if you bought a CPO Audi and it still has time or mileage remaining on it's coverage then you should get a new battery. I've replaced dozens of batteries because they failed and were covered by CPO.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

my1999gsr posted:

On a CPO inspection (the inspection we do prior to the vehicle being sold as a CPO'd Audi) I have to test the battery and attach the test result printout to the CPO checklist. If the Audi fails any part of the checklist the dealership can either repair the problem(s) or not sell the car as a Certified Pre-Owned Audi. Once the vehicle is sold as CPO then it has warranty coverage as per the CPO agreement which should cover the battery.

Bottom line, if you bought a CPO Audi and it still has time or mileage remaining on it's coverage then you should get a new battery. I've replaced dozens of batteries because they failed and were covered by CPO.
Well drat, cause they sure as hell charged me for it, though now it's 1 or 2 years later so I don't think there's anything I can do about it but the car was definitely a CPO and we had literally had it for 2 days before it crapped out.

I remember pitching a fit about the battery dying so soon after purchasing it and my service rep only said that she could give me a slight discount on the battery purchase.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

mastermind2004 posted:

I take it the answer to this is a no?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

mastermind2004 posted:

I take it the answer to this is a no?

It may be possible with VCDS but you never listed what kind of car you have or the year and those make a big difference on what you can change with the program.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

2010 Golf TDI

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

mastermind2004 posted:

2010 Golf TDI

I asked around and it seems that it isn't possible without messing with the hard code for the cluster, sorry.

e: I guess changing it to European coding will get rid of the dinger but then everything will be in km/hr, kilometers for the fuel mileage and 24 hours clock, etc.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 12, 2011

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

real_scud posted:

I remember pitching a fit

That could be why you got charged for a battery.

If you want to lay into someone about this kind of thing, review your warranty documentation first and be sure.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Motronic posted:

That could be why you got charged for a battery.
Somehow I doubt it because by pitching a fit I don't mean I cursed anyone out or anything like that. I just told her I thought it a bit odd that a car that I had just purchased had a battery go bad mere days after taking ownership of it and that I was hoping the battery could be replaced for free.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Zorak of Michigan posted:

ArborMotion does a lot of work on German cars. Every time I go there, the place is about 90% 911s. That many rich wankers are probably all wrong about something, but hopefully it isn't car care.

Thanks, I'll give them a call to see what they charge!

real_scud posted:

Somehow I doubt it because by pitching a fit I don't mean I cursed anyone out or anything like that. I just told her I thought it a bit odd that a car that I had just purchased had a battery go bad mere days after taking ownership of it and that I was hoping the battery could be replaced for free.

This is really :psyduck: to me, if a battery literally goes dead days after you drive the car off the lot, I'd expect a basic level of customer service from the dealer to fix that sucker for free, CPO or not-CPO.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I noticed while driving my wife's 08 passat wagon that when applying the brakes, the car made a frog croaking sound. The volume is consistent with the amount of force used on the pedal. The brakes feel fine, I'm hoping that it is just the pads starting to get low and not something more expensive like the master cylinder.

I also found something disconcerting too, we had the back full of crap when we parked it on a 20 degree slope and I put it in reverse (stupidly) and the car starting to slowly roll as gravity spun the engine. I'm gonna need to check compression on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know if there is a way to seek faster on the Premium 8 head unit? If I have a 2 hour podcast and want to get to a certain point the default seek speed is way too slow. If I'm using my ipod I can manually select it on the ipod, then plug it in, but if I'm doing this off the SD card I seem to be out of luck.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
How good is the Premium 8 sound system anyway? Specifically is the bass good and are there any distortion problems?

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 13, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, dealer quoted $220 for new battery + installation + resetting all codes (radio, etc), argh. Service guy stated that CPO warranty only covers the battery for 1yr/12,000 miles and it's been 2 years/33k miles since I got it so that makes sense, I suppose. Were a lot of those replacements you did my1999gsr within that timeframe?

I hate myself even more for sitting in on the design meetings where we're like "yeah, just make the customer come back to dealer in event of power-loss" and thinking that was a good loving idea. :shepface:

I'd love to do this myself, but it's the middle of the week, I'm not sure I was given the radio anti-theft code when I bought the car, and I'm not sure what other modules need configuration after a full power-less. Not to mention need to figure out what battery it takes and doing it in the parking lot of my apartment complex in the winter would be uncomfortable and frowned upon.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 13, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DerDestroyer posted:

How good is the Premium 8 sound system anyway? Specifically is the bass good and are there any distortion problems?

The whole dynaudio setup is pretty nice to be honest. The bass is pretty strong considering there isn't a subwoofer, and there isn't much distortion. Much better than the stock system, especially considering the price.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

The whole dynaudio setup is pretty nice to be honest. The bass is pretty strong considering there isn't a subwoofer, and there isn't much distortion. Much better than the stock system, especially considering the price.

So Premium 8 is also Dynaudio? I thought the only difference between stock and "Premium 8" was the headunit being a touchscreen setup.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

So Premium 8 is also Dynaudio? I thought the only difference between stock and "Premium 8" was the headunit being a touchscreen setup.

No, the speakers are a little different with dynaaudio.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Aw poo poo, I have to pony up for a GTI if I want a Dynaudio in Canada. For some obscure reason they'll give us a lovely nav system but they wont set up a better audio system. The only thing that can come close to the price of the Golf TDI with the inclusion of a decent stereo system is the GLI with the Fender system.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
Don't really have a question but I thought I'd share. Just bought my first VW today! Got a 2012 GTI. I've wanted a GTI for as long as I can remember. Thing is fun as poo poo to drive, can really feel the speed.

I'm sure I'll have some questions down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pulled some coupons out of my rear end and used some $50 Audi service card I got, so it was "only" $160 to have the dealer put in a new OEM battery for me and clear all the codes.

The Audi system had 0 record of the battery ever being replaced before and the service guy said with its condition, it looked like the original battery, so I guess 6 years and 64k miles isn't a bad run. Didn't stop me from buying a portable jump-starter as a knee-jerk reaction though. Never again!

I've also been entertaining the idea of getting a VAG-COM cable to play around with stuff...$350 is a good chunk of change though, any opinions on it?