Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Someone had plans for it once, and posted a few test videos. Luisfe, maybe? It didn't take off, though. But other than that, I don't think anybody here has done anything with it.

If anybody remembers more, tell me so I can bug the right person about LPing it. I'm interested in it too.

I believe it was Egomaniac. Same guy who did the Siren games. I'm not sure if he's around anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

TwoDayLife posted:

I believe it was Egomaniac. Same guy who did the Siren games. I'm not sure if he's around anymore.
He is; he's currently LP'ing and translating his way through a prequel Yakuza game and I've heard good things (those particular games aren't my cup of tea).

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011
Egomaniac's 3 Episodes of Moon Remix

Chances are good though that when the translation project finishes up someone else will tackle it, so just hang in there 'til then.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, I dropped it when I couldn't figure out a good way to show it off. You'd think screenshot would be ideal, but the huge, excellent customizable soundtrack is a major part of the game and works into the gameplay enough that I just had to try going with video. But then I didn't feel I could carry commentary for a game like that for any length of time. It really called out for something in the style of Jamesman's Chulip LP, and I can't pull that off.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Incidentally, Egomaniac, did you say you were putting up the videos for your Siren LPs on Youtube?

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Yeah, actually I forgot about that. Once I actually get off my rear end and update my current thread I'll work on getting those up.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm looking for a good LP of demon souls and dark souls. I know dark souls is too new to have an LP on SA but if anybody knows a good off site LP of it I'd love to see it.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Agent355 posted:

I'm looking for a good LP of demon souls and dark souls. I know dark souls is too new to have an LP on SA but if anybody knows a good off site LP of it I'd love to see it.

There's a very good Demon Soul's LP by Squint on the LP Archive. Dark Souls has barely been out two months. There's terrible poo poo on Youtube of 14 year olds shrieking while dying 50 times in the tutorial and that's about it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Seconding Squints LP. He does a good job showing everything off while making it look easy (it's not)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Squint's LP is amazing. It was actually one of the reasons I joined the forum. I have to give a shoutout to Test-0 and WeaponBoy for their punching only and new game plus runs respectively.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Squint's LP does in fact look amazing. It's too bad there isn't a dark souls LP out yet, I just finished playing it (got about half way through) and it would be nice to see what happens when you beat the boss I got stuck on.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Squint's LP does in fact look amazing. It's too bad there isn't a dark souls LP out yet, I just finished playing it (got about half way through) and it would be nice to see what happens when you beat the boss I got stuck on.

Squint did say in the Dark Souls thread in games that he was planning on LPing it. I'm looking forward to it.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Squint did say in the Dark Souls thread in games that he was planning on LPing it. I'm looking forward to it.

Really now? I shall keep an eye out for this then.

As for his Demon Souls LP, I can't recommend it hard enough if you enjoy the game. As stated, despite being balls hard, Squint dies only about 2 - 4 times in the main play through, mostly due to his own stupidity/not being careful/slight arrogance. Other wise, it is a VERY good run that shows off everything.

I must say though, his montage of getting Black Worlds is the best part.

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011
If anyone's interested in developers LPing their own games, Hideki Kamiya from Platinum has been doing a series on Bayonetta for awhile, and Team Meat retsupuraed over someone I'm gonna assume is a mutant specifically bred for playing platformers.

In terms of quality, Kamiya's has low quality a/v and he sounds pretty unenthusiastic throughout, but if you're curious about the game there's info in there you're just not going to find out otherwise, and his explanations are usually interesting in their own right. Team Meat's is just generally wonderful, and has both humor and casual discussion of level design (if nothing else, watch the intro!).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Micawber posted:

Team Meat's is just generally wonderful, and has both humor and casual discussion of level design (if nothing else, watch the intro!).

I don't know, they sound like immature obnoxious assholes most of the time to me, but hey it's not going to be everybody's thing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So Haifisch's Ghost Trick LP just came to an end.

Just gonna say that if you read these forums, even if you just lurk or don't have an account, and haven't read her LP of this game yet, drop everything you're doing and go read it NOW!!!

It is completely worth every second of your time and is a stellar example of presenting a game as closely as possible to how you would actually play it, and what's more, will make you want to play it yourself.

Fantastic LP, go read now!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just gonna say that if you read these forums, even if you just lurk or don't have an account, and haven't read her LP of this game yet, drop everything you're doing and go read it NOW!!!

It is completely worth every second of your time and is a stellar example of presenting a game as closely as possible to how you would actually play it, and what's more, will make you want to play it yourself.

This, seriously. The game is good, the story is good, all good. Go read it.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I remember starting on that a while back.. Thought it was pretty cool but ultimately didn't bother continuing. But yeah, seeing the latest 2 posts in this thread I think I'll go pick up where I left off :haw:

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Micawber posted:

Team Meat's is just generally wonderful, and has both humor and casual discussion of level design (if nothing else, watch the intro!).

So which one of them are you

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011
Neither! Just someone with low standards apparently.

For redemption I rec orenronen's SSLP of Dagan Ronpa, which is "Phoenix Wright meets Battle Royale starring a masochistic teddy bear with Doraemon's voice" and has the characters of a shounen manga in the situation of a horror movie. The LPer, who is translating the game as he goes, is up to chapter two, and already there's been some serious genre subversion that, alongside the neon-pop aesthetics, make for a nicely disorientating experience.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Micawber posted:

For redemption I rec orenronen's SSLP of Dagan Ronpa, which is "Phoenix Wright meets Battle Royale starring a masochistic teddy bear with Doraemon's voice" and has the characters of a shounen manga in the situation of a horror movie. The LPer, who is translating the game as he goes, is up to chapter two, and already there's been some serious genre subversion that, alongside the neon-pop aesthetics, make for a nicely disorientating experience.
Seconding(well, it looks like it's actually fourthing by now :v:) this. The game has an amazing aesthetic, and since it's pretty much impossible to find info about it online, there's no risk of anyone spoiling the mystery for you. It's still kind of in the tutorial phase of the game, but that just means you get to start reading before there's a huge backlog of stuff to get through.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Third(Fifthing?) Dagan Ronpa.. The LP is being done very well. It's extremely well translated and orenronen always explains things that might not make sense to people due to how, you know, the japanese culture is kind of different from the west. One of the things that I like most about the LP is that orenronen has uploaded all the music, and adds links to the updates so that you're listening to the music that'd be playing in the game at that point, which really adds to it for me. Especially because my ears tend to get bored in SSLPs, and I do really like the game's music too. Especially the music that plays when that psycho teddy bear is around. The game's plot and characters are great fun too, and it's not one of those mystery games that is predictable- quite the reverse. Most of the time I have no idea what twist they'll throw at us next.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Are you interested in messing with time, and/or shooting things?

If so, at the moment there are two great LPs of violent shooters that feature temporal shenanigans:

Niggurath's LP of Singularity is thorough and does a great job showing off the good/interesting aspects of the game and poking fun at the weaker aspects. The thread features lots of discussion of the old version of the game that got scrapped, and of the science/logic of time travel, mutating stuff, and what constitutes a rip-off. Niggurath is just a few videos away from finishing the game, though I'm hoping we might also have a bit of multiplayer.

Redundant's LP of TimeShift just started a couple of weeks ago but is very entertaining so far. It's a two person commentary, the other person being Panda, proper username "panda with no name" or something? Redundant is familiar with the game and is doing the actual playing, Panda is new to the game and makes lots of astute observations and asks good questions. Lots of great humour between the two of them, without deviating into conversations about random stuff.

Both Singularity and TimeShift were commercial failures, and opinion is divided as to whether they were underrated games or got what they deserved. Both were originally going to feature complex puzzles that required you to be clever using your time powers, but came under publisher pressure and ended up getting dumbed down. Both started off with a completely different story and characters and levels, and then got overhauled and turned into a new product in the last year of production. Neither game will win any awards for originality, but both feature cool stuff happening.

TimeShift is a rather blatant Half-Life 2/FEAR rip-off, but has excellent shoot-em-up action and the best bullet time of any game ever. Singularity is a rip-off of every shooter released in the past decade, which makes it feel like a sort of "The Very Best of FPS Games" album. It has especially obvious Half-Life and Bioshock influences... but some consider it a better sequel to Bioshock than the official Bioshock 2, and Valve are taking too drat long to make another Half-Life instalment anyway.

In any case, neither game is a "must buy", but they are certainly a "must-see" for anyone that's a sucker for movies/books/tv shows about time travel, and Niggurath/Redundant/Panda are doing an excellent job of presenting them for our enjoyment.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 3, 2011

Chumly
Dec 25, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What do you mean when you say "stellar example of presenting a game as closely as possible to how you would actually play it?"

Hyperbolic praise really doesn't tell us anything about the LP itself. Is it a video LP or a screenshot LP, etc? Please describe the LP before telling us how you felt about it.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Chumly posted:

What do you mean when you say "stellar example of presenting a game as closely as possible to how you would actually play it?"

Hyperbolic praise really doesn't tell us anything about the LP itself. Is it a video LP or a screenshot LP, etc? Please describe the LP before telling us how you felt about it.

It's a screenshot LP that makes heavy use of .gifs to show off the in-game animations. Of course, you wouldn't know why the animations needed to be shown unless somebody had included an animation in their recommendation.

Kinda like I did in my earlier recommendation.

Lance Streetman posted:

Everybody needs to go read Haifisch's lp of Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. The game is downright amazing. The writing is tight and incredibly funny, the puzzles are clever, the music is perfectly mood-setting and reflects the action on-screen flawlessly, and the animations...oh god, the animations. Haifisch has provided Gifs of all the best of them, but here's just one example:

Seriously, go read it. Now.

VVVVVV Good idea.

And here, have two more for the road:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Micawber posted:

Neither! Just someone with low standards apparently.

Don't feel bad, it was a really fun video, they're funny guys and yeah they're immature but it's not like Something Awful is a great bastion of maturity as it is. Who cares?

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

I honestly can't say that I didn't enjoy the Team Meat video, it was fun listening to some of their design stories and a lot of there jokes weren't that bad. Also the chin-men were a bit mesmerizing. Maybe this means I am horribly immature.

Prog Rug fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 4, 2011

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I was a bit too harsh. When they're talking about the game, it's quite fascinating

I just didn't really care for some of the jokes I heard.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Do you still think the 90s might have been a good era? Think again!

9: The last resort + Bad Day on the Midway

Niggurath is playing through two incredibly artsy (or lets say they pretend to be artsy) first person adventure games.
9 is the only game made by a company that was supposedly founded by Robert DeNiro and therefore has a lot of well known talent behind it. At least in the Art and Voice Department. Unfortunately there was nobody who could design games or let the thing have any kind of coherent story or anything. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Bad Day on the Midway is a game co-created by "The Residents" and therefore doesn't have to make any sense i think. Until now it isn't much of a game. Niggurath pretty much just walked around the park and saw some extremely strange musical numbers.
Niggurath is doing a really great job of showing of these two bizzare games.

You should also really read Mousers.. Leisure Suit Larry Thread before it goes into the archives. Unfortunately it seems to have died at the beginning of LSL6 but the first 4 games are done and at least LSL 1-3 are hilarious to read. Also there is an audio Q&A with Al Lowe the series creator thats very interesting to hear.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I've been wanting to rewatch FirstAidKite's Fat Black JC Denton videos, but can't seem to find them. Anyone know whare I can find them? (Don't have archives)

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Eulisker posted:

You should also really read Mousers.. Leisure Suit Larry Thread before it goes into the archives. Unfortunately it seems to have died at the beginning of LSL6 but the first 4 games are done and at least LSL 1-3 are hilarious to read. Also there is an audio Q&A with Al Lowe the series creator thats very interesting to hear.

For the record, you should email baldurk about this because I think despite the fact that he didn't finish ALL the games, the fact that he finished the first four (or technically any of them) still qualifies what's finished to be archived. It'd be a shame to see the thread lost.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Tobias Grant posted:

I've been wanting to rewatch FirstAidKite's Fat Black JC Denton videos, but can't seem to find them. Anyone know whare I can find them? (Don't have archives)

You'll have to look through his Viddler channel, since the original thread was banished from the face of the Earth.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I've been following the Ultima 9 and Two Worlds LP by jewmander and hbomberguy respectively. This may be too specific of a request but are there other LPs of unequivocal bad titles out there; preferably humorous duos doing bad open-world games?

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
Another unabashed request: are there any space-based 4X LPs (Sword of the Stars, Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations etc) worth checking out?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

C... posted:

Another unabashed request: are there any space-based 4X LPs (Sword of the Stars, Master of Orion, Galactic Civilizations etc) worth checking out?

If you have archives take a look at James315 take on Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. He ran through 3 of the 5 races with different play styles each time.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Major_JF posted:

If you have archives take a look at James315 take on Star Trek: Birth of the Federation. He ran through 3 of the 5 races with different play styles each time.

I do not! Is it archived somewhere offsite?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

C... posted:

Back in the old non-SA recommendation thread someone posted a link to this which came in three parts. It's a little light on screenshots, but I'd call it an LP and I liked it a lot.

A MOO2 LP has been archived.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Jabronie posted:

I've been following the Ultima 9 and Two Worlds LP by jewmander and hbomberguy respectively. This may be too specific of a request but are there other LPs of unequivocal bad titles out there; preferably humorous duos doing bad open-world games?
Not a humourous duo, and only sort of open world, but NidoKing's Mask of eternity LP is pretty good if you're in the mood for a breathtakingly awful old PC Adventure/RPG.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'd like to recommend FirstAidKite's LP of Torn Apart: Over The Net; Kay.

You won't of heard of this game. And that is because it is a horriffic disaster of a game made by a talentless 20-year-old woman with severe delusions. It features horrible anime style "art", a good 90% of which has obviously been traced from other artists' works, music taken from free sample things, terrible stock sound effects being used very poorly, and the most violent butchering of the english language that I have ever seen in my life. It's just so amazingly bad, it's the kind of thing you just have to see. Like a horrible car wreck, you just can't look away from it.

There's a good lot of stuff being posted by other members too, such as dramatic readings, corrections to her artwork, etc.

If you get upset at laughing at other people's expense (even if they totally deserve it), this might not be for you. I guess this kind of entertainment is quite specific, but personally I god drat love the LP. It's so very fun! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Can someone point me to some amusing/informative screenshot LPs? Wanna flick through some before I put together a screenshot post for something.

• Locked thread