Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viragosa
Sep 10, 2006

my brain thinks bomb-like

cheese eats mouse posted:

Check out SapientNitro. They're hiring junior writers right now.

This is true, and this is who I work for (and my project supervisor is the ACD of copy here). PM me or email me at edecker at sapient.com and I'll throw you in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

viragosa posted:

This is true, and this is who I work for (and my project supervisor is the ACD of copy here). PM me or email me at edecker at sapient.com and I'll throw you in the mix.

Speaking of do you know if there's been any fresh meat? I'm dying to get an interview anywhere.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So I'm in a bit of a job rut and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve my chances of getting hired.

I want to colour comics. About a year ago, I sent off packages to Dark Horse and Image. Should I make new ones to send off with some of my newer and better stuff?

I mostly trawl DigitalWebbing for job postings, but haven't been getting responses lately. The last job I tried out for, I was in the "top 5 out of 70 applicants" but those other 4 people still did better than me and had more "wow factor" to each panel and didn't colour the sky green.

I also just lost a job this morning. I was going to colour a 5 page pitch for a guy and he said his artist would email me the first couple pages. I'd been checking my email regularly for it, and assumed it might just take a few days since I was told he's a really busy guy at the moment. Last night I get an email asking how long it's going to take for me to finish those 2 pages that I hadn't received yet. I responded that I hadn't gotten them yet. The email must not have sent properly or something, so I had no idea.

This morning I got an email saying that the artist already found a new colourist and that I wouldn't be needed for this project. This is the second time I've been turned down by this writer, so it's kind of got me feeling down since an artist friend of mine recommended me to him. It's completely my fault though for not following up sooner and asking where the pages are. I guess I learned my lesson there, in that there's really no excuse waiting more than 2 days for pages.

I do have a real paid project coming up, but I'm not expecting to get any pages for that until January.

My previous colouring job, I was fired 5 pages in for just not meeting the artists expectations. They had seen a lot of my work, but I guess it fooled them into thinking I was better than I was.

Since then, I haven't been able to get any jobs. Even the $10 per page ones. I'll take anything but free work at this point. I was told by other artist/colourist friends that I shouldn't settle for less than $30 per page, but if I want work to build up my portfolio, I have no choice.

My current portfolio has 10 pieces which I feel shows the most variety of my colours. Is that not enough?

Sorry, that was rather long. I'm just looking for some advice on how to go about getting more colouring work. Christmas is coming up and it would be nice to have some money from colouring.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Nessa posted:

I want to colour comics. About a year ago, I sent off packages to Dark Horse and Image. Should I make new ones to send off with some of my newer and better stuff?

The advice that I got was, never stop working on your portfolio. Of course, I'm a writer, not an artist, but they say it's the same for all creatives. Creative skills are muscles that atrophy if neglected--plus, there's no such thing as a perfect book, so regardless of how awesome your old one was, there's always room for improvements. Better books find better work.

quote:

My previous colouring job, I was fired 5 pages in for just not meeting the artists expectations. They had seen a lot of my work, but I guess it fooled them into thinking I was better than I was.

Since then, I haven't been able to get any jobs. Even the $10 per page ones. I'll take anything but free work at this point. I was told by other artist/colourist friends that I shouldn't settle for less than $30 per page, but if I want work to build up my portfolio, I have no choice.

If quality is your main concern, then just do more. The only way to improve is through practise. I just read a Malcolm Gladwell book that looked into the backgrounds artists, scientists, athletes, and so on, and found that all skills take the same 10,000 hours of practise to master. Being better than the competition is just a matter of putting more time into your craft.

Not all work needs to be commissioned, either--the purpose of any portfolio is to show what you can do, not what you've been paid to do.

That said, I can't answer any of your other questions because I don't know poo poo about gently caress when it comes to the graphic novel industry. I've just been getting a lot of advice recently on my own portfolio.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you're not constantly working regardless of whether or not it's client work or personal work and regardless of whether or not you're getting paid then you're doing it wrong.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

mutata posted:

If you're not constantly working regardless of whether or not it's client work or personal work and regardless of whether or not you're getting paid then you're doing it wrong.

Well, if it's personal work and you're not getting paid, sure. Draw all the time every day.

But no one should work for $1.50 an hour or whatever awful bullshit people routinely try to pull with art jobs.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Locus posted:

Well, if it's personal work and you're not getting paid, sure. Draw all the time every day.

But no one should work for $1.50 an hour or whatever awful bullshit people routinely try to pull with art jobs.

I'm pretty much working for 2-3 bucks an hour on the pages I'm doing now (my January project started early! yay!).

And that's not to say I never colour anything for personal purposes. I do, though I have been focusing more on figure drawing lately.

Pantothenate posted:

If quality is your main concern, then just do more. The only way to improve is through practise. I just read a Malcolm Gladwell book that looked into the backgrounds artists, scientists, athletes, and so on, and found that all skills take the same 10,000 hours of practise to master. Being better than the competition is just a matter of putting more time into your craft.

Quality is not my main concern. I know I'm not the best, but I know I'll just keep improving with the more work I do.

Speed is my main concern. I take way too long to colour or even flat a page. I should be able to do a full page in a couple of hours, but I usually spend around 5-8 hours on a given page, much more if it's detailed or had a lot of lighting effects.

I put far too much time into my pages and have to learn when a page is "good enough" to move on to the next one. I use all the keyboard shortcuts I know, but that still doesn't make me as fast as I should be.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Nessa posted:

I'm pretty much working for 2-3 bucks an hour on the pages I'm doing now (my January project started early! yay!).

Quality is not my main concern. I know I'm not the best, but I know I'll just keep improving with the more work I do... I put far too much time into my pages and have to learn when a page is "good enough" to move on to the next one.

If it's anything like ideation and execution in writing then the solution's the same either way. The more practise you have, the more familiar you are with the tools of your craft, and the faster you work. I've musician friends who say the same about learning music, and I'm fairly certain I remember a part-time artist I worked with who said he practised constantly for the same reason, and he'd done portraiture for the ruling class of his home country before they were ousted from government.

If you think you're dragging your feet because of something unrelated to your skill, I'd suggest hunting down a mentor. Are there any internship jobs out there? It might be worth not getting paid for a short while and waiting tables/pumping gas part-time if it means learning how to boost your productivity beyond $3/hr. Even if you can't find an internship, nothing's stopping you from contacting artists directly and at least asking for advice.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pantothenate posted:

If it's anything like ideation and execution in writing then the solution's the same either way. The more practise you have, the more familiar you are with the tools of your craft, and the faster you work. I've musician friends who say the same about learning music, and I'm fairly certain I remember a part-time artist I worked with who said he practised constantly for the same reason, and he'd done portraiture for the ruling class of his home country before they were ousted from government.

If you think you're dragging your feet because of something unrelated to your skill, I'd suggest hunting down a mentor. Are there any internship jobs out there? It might be worth not getting paid for a short while and waiting tables/pumping gas part-time if it means learning how to boost your productivity beyond $3/hr. Even if you can't find an internship, nothing's stopping you from contacting artists directly and at least asking for advice.

Oh, I know plenty of other artists and colorists, but I think my colours are okay enough to not get much of a critique. Just "these are fine, you do a good job with your chosen pallette." I've noticed that people are only eager to talk to you about your colours if they're really good or really bad.

The closest thing to a colouring internship is flatting, and I already did that for several years. It doesn't really teach you anything beyond flatting and doesn't leave you with a lot of time to work on your own stuff. If I lived in the right city, I'd be all over interning at Dark Horse, DC, or Marvel. DC and Marvel don't even accept portfolios anymore, so it's really all about who you know or traveling great distances to get to the right con to meet the right people.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Does anyone know of any grants for print/tv advertising for a non-profit community health center?

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

thylacine posted:

Does anyone know of any grants for print/tv advertising for a non-profit community health center?

Don't know where you're located, but i had this discussion with a client today.
Usually advertising isn't covered under grants, but some kinds of advertising may be tax writeoffs.

Might want to talk to a business accountant.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
This is the answer I'm getting everywhere. We need actual air-time. The creative is covered. The station does creative/production for free and matches your ad buys.

I thinks it's going to end up with me paying out of pocket, at least the first month, and co-hercing my friends and families into paying for it until the organization can do it.

Thanks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe try LoudSauce? It's like kickstarter for ads.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

qirex posted:

Maybe try LoudSauce? It's like kickstarter for ads.

Looks promising, thanks!

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010
Depending on the organization, some agencies and studios, or freelancers who feel passionately about the topic, might do pro-bono. That'd get you creative but not media placement/purchasing.

Sherlock Hopkins
Sep 28, 2005
From now on I shoot my dinner salad before I eat it!
I live in central New Jersey. I've got a bachelors degree in 3d animation, and I've been having the worst time getting a decent animation/art job.
One of my biggest weaknesses is networking. Problem is I don't know anyone. I would love to make some good contacts in the field.
I'm not really sure if this is right forum for this, but I would appreciate any advice.
Just because I added my website.

http://www.jimclassic.com

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
My girlfriend hates everything about her job except making the displays at work. For instance she handmade a frenchy looking hatbox and created a full wall display of French Fashion for the store she works for.

What could I point her at to get a job that is similar to that. I'm stumped to be honest

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Solus posted:

My girlfriend hates everything about her job except making the displays at work. For instance she handmade a frenchy looking hatbox and created a full wall display of French Fashion for the store she works for.

What could I point her at to get a job that is similar to that. I'm stumped to be honest

Visual Merchandiser?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I was going to make a separate thread for this and I still might if you guys think it's a good idea.

Basically, I want to be a character/creature concept artist for games.
My specialty is figures and expressions, animals, people and clothing.

I don't have a portfolio and I'm really lacking direction. I just don't know what kinds of things I need to have in a successful portfolio to get me where I need to be and I understand it will be more difficult for me because of my lack of academic qualifications. I've had a poke around Conceptart.org, and if I'm honest I'm a little intimidated. It's not that I don't think I can do stuff to that kind of quality, because I have every bit of confidence that with guidance I will get there in not too ridiculous a timeframe, but I just don't know where to begin to get things really heading in a professional direction. I have bought myself issues of ImagineFX and it's helping me a lot!

I'll be basically point-blank honest here, because there's no point in sugarcoating myself.
I never graduated highschool, I have no professional accreditations of any kind, and everything I know is entirely self-taught. I started out doing cartooning and anime, and as a result have had to learn to draw all over again to try and put more realism into my work. I'm proficient with computers, I'm fairly well-versed in Photoshop, I've used Corel a couple of times, and I also use SAI Painter. I do work in a job that utilises my art capabilities at the moment, in a tattoo studio.

I just really need some help developing my portfolio and I had a few questions.

a) What would a brief that a character/creature concept artist would receive look like?
b) If you know, are you able to give me one I can use for portfolio purposes?
c) What kind of turnaround is expected, generally?

Thanks.

I don't have a lot available to showcase my skills at the moment, excluding fanart I've been doing in my spare time. As much as I like the fanart, it's not appropriate to include in a professional situation. Please don't consider this as an example I'd put in my portfolio, but if you're interested you can find the image HERE. There's a lot of things I like about it and I learned a lot from it whilst doing it, but for obvious reasons, no.

Here is a dragon I am working on for the portfolio. He has no shading on him currently, I am including him to show usage of light to create mood:

Detail: HERE

THIS is now an abandoned project but I still think it's an interesting idea and I may re-do it.

A pterodactyl I doodled a little while ago.

THIS is a character I've been developing for the portfolio but I'm not sure if I will continue with him now because I am afraid he looks too generic. He was developed as a 'Good Guy Squad Member' for the NPC in a post-apocalyptic environment.

An older sketch but one I still like even if there are issues with it: TARGET ACQUIRED a T-rex with a back-mounted lasercannon.

I have a long way to go before I'm up to the level of the guys who post on conceptart.org but I'm sure I can make it there. I'm not sure if I should quit my job and take out a loan to go on one of the game art courses offered in the city in which I live. I'd love to but I think realistically I'm looking at having to do this all on my own and I'm hoping that someone will give me a shot with a good enough portfolio that really shows what I can do.

Any help would be really appreciated and if you think I should put this in its own thread please do let me know.

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 31, 2011

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

uglynoodles posted:

Stuff

You're best bet is to go to this thread here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662

Read the OP and repost your questions there. You'll get much more focused and applicable advice in there. There's a wide bank of people who can help you out.

Edit: For any and all concept positions, though, you're going to want to become the artist equivalent of a Swiss Army knife. You want as much variation as possible and a large pool of pieces for your portfolio. You'll want to experiment a lot. The briefs you will get in house will be anywhere from a detailed paragraph about the history and personality of a character to a designer coming into your office and going "we need a witch but like if a witch and a cowboy had sex and had a baby." Variety of ideas is vital. Try to think in terms of development: take an idea (seriously, there are so many more things to draw than dinosaurs, as awesome as they are) and do 5 to 10 pages of GOOD thumbnails trying all kinds of different ideas. Then take 1 or 2 and finish them out as final pieces. Show the design process; show that you are thinking and trying and designing every step of the way, and show that you actually go through this process instead of finishing up the first idea that pops into your head. Work digitally and practice working fast. Show your designs to other people in the industry and get critiques. Register for the Polycount.com forum as this is probably the best place to get professionals to look at your stuff. You aren't going to get too much response cold-emailing industry artists, but there are a good number on PC. The more often you can take a project from idea all the way through the development process to thumbnails, design, linework, and finished painting,(and even beyond to 3D model and textured final, more on that later) the better off you'll be.

Conceptart.org is a great place to give you perspective and help you gauge where your progress is compared to where you need to be. Do NOT compare your skills to the experts in any way other than to gauge progress, though. Recognize that they have been doing this for literal decades, most of them for 8-12 hours a day every. loving. day. Your casual hobbyist skill isn't going to measure up, but you'll get there. Research some good character designers (which is essentially what you want to be) and buy their books. Barry Reynolds, Frank Frazetta, Silver, etc.

Start to analyze every piece of media you ingest, especially video games and especially their characters. Why is or isn't GlaDOS a well-designed character? What is it about Lara Croft that people love so much? What design language do the assassins from the Assassin's Creed games use? Analyze and learn from that stuff.

Research and study everything in order to build your visual vocabulary. Start to learn costume (especially theory, ie, what does a costume say about a character and it's personality) and period fashions. Research things you're interested in. Start a reference library of cool images you find. Gather information you can use in your designs. When you start a project, begin by researching what you want to put in there. Maybe you want a Renaissance Italian fashion influence in your AD 3055 spacesuit design.

Start to learn 3D. The better you get, the more versatile you'll be, but at the very least you'll start to understand the limitations that arise as a design transfers from concept to 3D, and you'll be able to design for/around those limits.

mutata fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 1, 2011

worrytron
Oct 26, 2011

Solus posted:

Yeah that's a real job... they're called Window Trimmers or Merchandisers. Most start out with a fashion degree or maybe interior design / decoration, but I'm sure experience would also apply. It's a big deal at big stores like Macy's. My understanding is that they put together a portfolio of photographs of their displays. Best to go at night, when the lighting is most dramatic and the reflections on the glass are not as bright.

worrytron
Oct 26, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

I've got no experience in games specifically, but I've worked in CG post-production for about six years. I've worked with quite a few character designers and have a general idea of how fast they're expected to work.

Basically, your work on its own is good enough to start putting together a portfolio. If you were booked on a job, working on any given side character might go like this:

- Your brief might be like this: "We have an idea for this character -- he's a former pit-fighter and he's covered in scars. He works for hire as a mercenary, but in his off-hours is quite the hedonist. He's foreign, exotic, but pretty disgusting. Think Baron Harkonnen meets Feyd-Rautha. He doesn't wear much armor, and prefers flashy, theatrical weapons." MOST good directors won't give you too many specifics at first, and once s/he sees your ideas, you can start to collaborate on specifics. The key as an artist is to work WITH your director, not fight back, and to convince them of your ideas while accepting that they might have some good ideas too. Good directors can take your work to another level... bad ones are... well.. common.

- First 3 days, you're thumbnailing ideas, quick and dirty. The director will narrow down the options. He or she will want variety above all else, with clear characterizations. At this stage, if everything looks too similar, your director will be unhappy and hard to work with. It's where your study of faces and expressions will pay off, as well as body mechanics. Chances are he will choose the one you're least happy with, but such is life.

- You'll get another week or so to refine the direction, work out poses, and start thinking about details. This is when you can really get most of your personal flavor in there.

- Depending on the level of finished work expected, you may get up to a week to finish coloring and details, maybe no more than a day. It really depends on the approval process and the amount of detail the production artists will need.

Bottom line is most artists, after the thumbnail is approved, can crank out a finished piece in no more than 3 days .. or about 36-40 hours of work. The really beautiful poo poo you see featured on Blizzard's website or whatever, maybe 7-8 days. But if your director goes more than a week without seeing anything, they will flip their poo poo. Hope this helps.

worrytron fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 1, 2011

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

My company, Reviewed.com (a division of USA Today/Gannett), is looking to hire a few staff writers. If you're a nerd who'd be interested in photographing, testing, and producing objective reviews for the internet, I made a post over in the job thread you should check out!

As it says in that post, contact me with resumes & questions.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Mutata & Worrytron -- Thank you so much with regards to your pointers. This is really useful information for me. I'm going to make a post in the thread you recommended, and some friends of mine have got me in touch with someone who works in one of the larger game companies who says he's happy to give me some advice, too.

I hope you'll wish me luck (and hard work!) :D

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
How on earth do you even get started looking to get your foot in the door as a film critic? My degree is completely unrelated to writing (though I took a fair amount of English and a few film classes as well in college), but I do my blog on the side and I consider my writing my greatest strength in general. gently caress if I have any idea how to look for a job as a writer in any capacity, though.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Criminal Minded posted:

How on earth do you even get started looking to get your foot in the door as a film critic? My degree is completely unrelated to writing (though I took a fair amount of English and a few film classes as well in college), but I do my blog on the side and I consider my writing my greatest strength in general. gently caress if I have any idea how to look for a job as a writer in any capacity, though.

You should start doing pitch letters to other popular blogs and propose articles while making sure your stuff is airtight on your own site. That way you can use it as an effective calling card. Take a look at places like CHUD, Cinematical, and the like to see what their submission processes are like.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anyone in LA looking for a full time senior UI designer position hit me up.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
Well, I wish I'd found this thread some point back.

Anyways, I had been in a print-focused company based in Chicago, for quite a long time-about 15.5 years. Primarily dealing as a Photoshop monkey, but I did do some work with Illustrator and InDesign as well. Last May, my company opted to to offshore positions held by me and my department. Wasn't a bad thing, exactly...I already had a degree myself, I went back to school and finished earlier this spring.

It was a certificate program that focused primarily on web and animation; I felt that I did learn a tremendous amount, too. I've been constantly continuing to work, while doing some volunteer work as I've been looking for work.

I've been looking at positions that ideally have more of an online focus; I've been looking at positions that had more of a production bent too, I had figured that I might have an easier time with it...Still looking.

I've managed to snag more than a few interviews, but it does seem as if I'm hitting a bit of a soft wall with regards to not having more web experience that I can provide as examples or portfolio pieces-I am comfortable with HTML/CSS, and I usually know how to integrate scripts properly into elements on pages.

However, I wouldn't be looking for a development position. I do have a couple of separate sites that I've developed myself as a method to keep myself busy, but I feel that companies that I have interviewed with have been looking for someone a bit more rounded.

The volunteer work I had done for Photo Rescue Japan was fun, though I'm not sure about whether that particular relief effort is going to continue or not, which is a bit of a shame.

Any insight to another resource I might take a look at for looking for work here in Chicago? Ideally it would be something more of a full time position, but I'll consider contract work too.

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011
I think I'm in over my head and I need some advice!

I've been working as an apprentice graphic designer for the past two months. In the UK businesses can pay an apprentice less than minimum wage as long as they're providing the apprentice with an education, either at college or from a more experienced colleague. When I interviewed for the position I was told I'd be supervised by someone who knew what they were doing and sent to college once a week. However, this has somehow changed to me not being taught by anyone, not being sent to college and being the sole graphic designer in the whole company. The person I was told I'd be 'taught' by is actually just a colleague who knows how to drop photos into Adobe programmes.

I feel totally out of my depth. I am not at all qualified for this position (Hence why I applied for an apprenticeship) and I'm being given totally unrealistic deadlines by everyone I work for and getting walked all over because I'm the bottom of the company food chain so no one listens when I say 'I cannot meet that deadline!'. I can leave the job but I won't be able to pay my rent or bills and I probably won't be able to find another job. Is there anything I can do? What would you do? Do I have any rights here? Can I at least request that I get paid minimum wage? Can I impose my own 'minimum' amount of time to be given a brief in advance?

SleeplessInEngland fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 6, 2011

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
If they're not meeting their legal requirements then there must be an authority you can threaten them with.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
If they do not have a graphic designer to teach you, then it is not an apprenticeship, period. They don't give a poo poo if you learn properly or about their own poo poo quality. Get the gently caress out of there now and go find a real apprenticeship, because this is not one. They're not paying you anyway, just wasting your loving time. This business is just trying to get free work out of you, period. Walk out on them, because they loving deserve it. I'm serious. Chalk it up to a life lesson, because that's all you're going to get out of this.

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011

Little Miss RKO posted:

If they're not meeting their legal requirements then there must be an authority you can threaten them with.

I don't really know if there is or not, it's kind of the problem.. I got the apprenticeship 'through' a college though (although the college course has never actually materialised) so I'm going to call them and see what they say. I'm hoping I can at least then get minimum wage or hand my notice in if they won't treat me better.

Stuporstar posted:

If they do not have a graphic designer to teach you, then it is not an apprenticeship, period. They don't give a poo poo if you learn properly or about their own poo poo quality. Get the gently caress out of there now and go find a real apprenticeship, because this is not one. They're not paying you anyway, just wasting your loving time. This business is just trying to get free work out of you, period. Walk out on them, because they loving deserve it. I'm serious. Chalk it up to a life lesson, because that's all you're going to get out of this.

Will I not be looked down upon by future employees/universities if I walk out of an 'apprenticeship' only two months in? I really hate this but it's giving me work for my portfolio and something to put on my CV and I'm worried if I leave then it'll be a 'black mark' on my CV.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

SleeplessInEngland posted:

I don't really know if there is or not, it's kind of the problem.. I got the apprenticeship 'through' a college though (although the college course has never actually materialised) so I'm going to call them and see what they say. I'm hoping I can at least then get minimum wage or hand my notice in if they won't treat me better.

Will I not be looked down upon by future employees/universities if I walk out of an 'apprenticeship' only two months in? I really hate this but it's giving me work for my portfolio and something to put on my CV and I'm worried if I leave then it'll be a 'black mark' on my CV.

No because they are a skeevy company that is using your fear to get free work. GTFO now.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Hiring out of a college does not make them legit. Sketchy businesses target colleges all the time because they know students are inexperienced and easier to take advantage of. These people are scamming the system, plain and simple. I have to reiterate this, if they do not have a professional designer for you to apprentice under, then you do not HAVE an apprenticeship. Also, no-one says you have to put them on your resume. GTFO. This job does not count towards anything because it is not legit. It is not a job. It is not an apprenticeship. It is a SCAM.

Also, the portfolio experience is not worth it. You can work on your portfolio in your own time and not get paid. Why should these assholes benefit? It would also free up time for you to look for a real job or apprenticeship.

Oh, and notify the college about these people.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 13, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Go talk to the dean of your department, and let them know what is going on with tihs company ASAP. Specifically, that you:
  • do not have anyone to apprentice under
  • are being given full-time work and the responsiblities of a full-time designer, with no compensation or direction
  • your concerns have been so far ignored by everyone at the company, while your workload has increased
  • that your grades and coursework will start to suffer soon due to the stress of working full-time for less than minimum wage with unrealiztic deadlines (You might not believe this, but it will happen. Soon.)

In the creative world many, many people try to game the system and get something for nothing. As a graphic designer, your skills have a very specific market value, and this company knows this and is taking advantage of your inexperience to get work for pennies. If you don't stick it out, you will not be blacklisted after you graduate. You don't even have to list this on your resume. No one from the college that you decide to use as references will tell anything bad about this either, when potential employers call them. You know why? Because leaving a company that is knowingly taking advantage of you is NOT A BAD THING. It is a smart thing. There are other internships available, and other design jobs available as well that will pay you MORE than minimum wage, even as a student. Have some pride in your work, you're worth more than this and if you don't stand up to this now, people are going to be lowballing you for the rest of your career.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, the commercial arts. Where price of admission somehow convinces us that we're worth nothing. Imagine if retail had such identity crises: "Well, this car is priced at $30,000 on the other dealerships around here, but if I don't sell it for $5000, they might not recommend my dealership to their friends! "

Fire these rear end in a top hat "employers".

Edit: :iiaca:

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 13, 2011

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Stuporstar, cheese eats mouse, gmc9987, and mutata posted:

Beautiful advice.

A single, delicate tear just trickled down my cheek.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I thought about adding a car analogy to my post but I'm glad I didn't, it wouldn't have been nearly as good as Mutata's.

SleeplessInEngland
May 30, 2011
Thank you so much for the insight everyone, you're all completely right and I'm just being stupid staying in this job. I've realised how ridiculous it is to stay here out of fear of never getting hired again. I had a really terrible day today where I found out that one of the few things they've actually taught me is completely wrong and I realised that not only am I being used at this place but that what little I'm being taught isn't even right in the first place. At the end of the day, that's going to impact my career much more than quitting a crap job where I'm not learning anything.

I'm taking tomorrow off to go and speak to the college that helped me get the apprenticeship to let them know how bad this place is so they don't send anyone else there and I'm gonna start looking for a new job. This has also given me the push to reapply to uni so at least something good has come of all this.

Thank you everyone for making me realise that this job isn't worth it and that my work/time is worth something :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thank you so much for the insight everyone, you're all completely right and I'm just being stupid staying in this job. I've realised how ridiculous it is to stay here out of fear of never getting hired again. I had a really terrible day today where I found out that one of the few things they've actually taught me is completely wrong and I realised that not only am I being used at this place but that what little I'm being taught isn't even right in the first place. At the end of the day, that's going to impact my career much more than quitting a crap job where I'm not learning anything.

I'm taking tomorrow off to go and speak to the college that helped me get the apprenticeship to let them know how bad this place is so they don't send anyone else there and I'm gonna start looking for a new job. This has also given me the push to reapply to uni so at least something good has come of all this.

Thank you everyone for making me realise that this job isn't worth it and that my work/time is worth something :3:

Most of us have a poo poo job in our pasts. It actually helps in gaining valuable perspective and making one wiser in the future. Plus, I feel it helps remind us all what the worth of a person is and how little certain people value others and how poo poo it feels to be walked all over. In other words, if you can escape ok and with your character intact, experiences like these can help make things smoother for you and your clients in the future.

That's what I got from MY poo poo job, anyway. On a related note: try to never work for realtors either.