Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Policenaut posted:

Still really hoping it's Growlanser/Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded.
I'd definitely prefer that as well, especially since I haven't actually managed to get through one of Sting's games yet. Not counting on it though - it's probably going to stay on my wishlist right next to the Langrisser games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh snap battle costumes are back.

I have to wonder what the intensive for people who have already beaten P4 three times will be. I hope they've added something more than a few cutscenes. Girl side P3 was almost a new game even if they turned it into a visual novel with battles.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I find myself wondering where they're going to cram all this poo poo in and still leave us time for S-Links! P4 already had a pretty jam packed calendar.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Captain Oblivious posted:

P4 already had a pretty jam packed calendar.

It also had a month to spare, so there's plenty of time for them to stick new content in.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather they not force scenarios on me, I hated how in P3 the game forced you into situations with 0 benefit to you.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
By "scenarios" and "situations" do you mean... plot progression? How is advancing the story without benefit?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justice posted:

By "scenarios" and "situations" do you mean... plot progression? How is advancing the story without benefit?

I mean the summer events that had no benefit to the player beyond wasting your days, summer school was the only one that had any sort of benefit and even then it was a waste of time if you had max academics by that point.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I haven't gotten around to P4 yet (waiting for The Golden) but I always hated the "vacation" crap in P3, where you just end up blowing a week doing absolutely nothing when you could be in Tartarus or doing S-links.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Oh, like Persona 4's camping trip.

It's not as if either game is particularly short on days, and even if they had chosen to forego plot events for more "free time" people would be complaining about having too much time or not enough characterization instead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Right now my chief concern is that I love Persona to death, but I really need some games I care about to be released on the Vita aside from The Golden so I can not feel terrible about buying one. :smith:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't like the way P4 managed time. You had to choose between almost all your Social Links and training, unlike P3 where you could do both. If they changed anything, changing that would be the thing I want most.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Policenaut posted:

I haven't gotten around to P4 yet (waiting for The Golden) but I always hated the "vacation" crap in P3, where you just end up blowing a week doing absolutely nothing when you could be in Tartarus or doing S-links.

A more appropriate example might be Career Week in P3 or whatever it was called. Everybody in the dorm talks about it for the week leading up to it, you expect some goofy scenes to occur at the very least, maybe get to flesh out your MC a tiny bit by picking a "career path" for them...

...and then there's a 2-second cutscene and you skip a week. What?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Don't forget the hurricane, too. Persona 4 had a lot more days left over at the end of an All S. Link Max run, compared to Persona 3. Depending on how you define 'challenge' this may or may not be desirable, but to say that one game had one over on the other game and then pick an example of something that is present in both games is dumb.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Snot Man posted:

A more appropriate example might be Career Week in P3 or whatever it was called. Everybody in the dorm talks about it for the week leading up to it, you expect some goofy scenes to occur at the very least, maybe get to flesh out your MC a tiny bit by picking a "career path" for them...

...and then there's a 2-second cutscene and you skip a week. What?

Yeah, I have no problem with actual events but things like this were kind of disappointing. It kind of seemed that they wanted to do something for it, but didn't for time constraints or whatever. Still, they didn't really do that (at least to the degree of P3) in P4 so I doubt it will happen here.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alteisen posted:

I mean the summer events that had no benefit to the player beyond wasting your days, summer school was the only one that had any sort of benefit and even then it was a waste of time if you had max academics by that point.

Yeah it always pissed me off that Mitsuru made waste a week in summer school even though I was the best student in the entire grade.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I understand the desire to put in all this stuff because this is the kind of stuff that occurs in a Japanese school year (I....think?), and I realize that it does add to characters and the setting and all that, so it would feel emptier if removed. But it feels so jarring when it's like "Yeah so we're the last line of defense between ultimate evil and our world. gently caress that, let's go camping!"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Justice posted:

Oh, like Persona 4's camping trip.

It's not as if either game is particularly short on days, and even if they had chosen to forego plot events for more "free time" people would be complaining about having too much time or not enough characterization instead.

No. Nothing like P4's camping trip, that lasted a grand total of one day(two days?) and even provided an S.link boost with the right high stat.

Being forced into swimming/volleyball/kendo for a long time and literally get nothing out of it beyond "You played volleyball all day" and then a free night was pointless, same with wasting time at summer school even if you aced the last 2 major tests. At least in P4 your teammates ask you, "hey wanna study with us?"

And again, I'd hardly call those meaningless events integral to the plot and I would hadn't complained at all about more free time, I can do s-links, study, visit the movies, you know beneficial things that help me in a variety of ways.

quote:

Don't forget the hurricane, too. Persona 4 had a lot more days left over at the end of an All S. Link Max run, compared to Persona 3. Depending on how you define 'challenge' this may or may not be desirable, but to say that one game had one over on the other game and then pick an example of something that is present in both games is dumb.

You're being purposely dense about this, the events in P3 and P4 couldn't be anymore different, more importantly, in P4 they provided a benefit.

Edit: To clarify I'm not referring to events such as the summer trip in P3, that is story, I mean the ones that don't do anything. Beyond a few screens and a lost week.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 14, 2011

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The beach looks super gross.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hmmm

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Hmmm

It's almost definitely Gungnir (PSP) at this point. Growlanser / Growlanser IV (both PSP) aren't really strategy RPGs.

Next clue is being posted in the GAF thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455324

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hehehe

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Hehehe

:shepface: Atlus is trolling now. It's still Gungnir.

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded isn't the "fourth released" title in the Growlanser series, but the IV will throw people off. The only localized Growlanser titles were Growlanser Generations (II+III together) and Growlanser V so that would make IV: OR the third release.

Gungnir is the fourth mainline game in Sting's Dept. Heaven series despite it being Episode IX. Blaze Union and Gloria Union were just spinoff games of Yggdra Union. The latest clue says "fourth release" which would be true for Gungnir when it gets released.

what if they localized both games

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gyoru posted:

:shepface: Atlus is trolling now. It's still Gungnir.

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded isn't the "fourth released" title in the Growlanser series, but the IV will throw people off. The only localized Growlanser titles were Growlanser Generations (II+III together) and Growlanser V so that would make IV: OR the third release.

Gungnir is the fourth mainline game in Sting's Dept. Heaven series despite it being Episode IX. Blaze Union and Gloria Union were just spinoff games of Yggdra Union. The latest clue says "fourth release" which would be true for Gungnir when it gets released.

what if they localized both games

They'd be massive trolls if it's not Growlanser IV at this point. And it says 4th release in the series, not 4th localized release (if you really want to get technical remember half of the PSP Dept. Heaven games were ports from the DS versions, making this upcoming game the 6th or 7th(?) DH "release" here).

Hopefully they've had enough fun stretching this out as far as they have, and tomorrow we get conclusive confirmation about what this is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Atlus, you mother fuckers just tell me if it's Growlanser or not!!!!! I'm so CARE MAD

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I do hope its Growlanser! I really enjoyed Growlanser Generations a lot on the PSX and I've heard the 4th is one of the best in the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Atlus, you mother fuckers just tell me if it's Growlanser or not!!!!! I'm so CARE MAD

Growgungnir IV, coming soon from Atlus.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Is Gungnir any good? I liked Knights in the Nightmare a lot despite it getting ridiculously hard towards the end, but I wasn't particularly enamored with Sting's other games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

:horns.aiff:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bwahahaha

Well done Atlus!

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Grozz Nuy posted:

Is Gungnir any good? I liked Knights in the Nightmare a lot despite it getting ridiculously hard towards the end, but I wasn't particularly enamored with Sting's other games.

I tried to like Knights in the Nightmare but found the scenery breaking thing to be wholly irritating. Sure, Sting, I'll just destroy this object in the first turn then wait until the very last turn of the battle for it to respawn and then destroy it again for another key item. :sassargh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

UselessLurker posted:

I tried to like Knights in the Nightmare but found the scenery breaking thing to be wholly irritating. Sure, Sting, I'll just destroy this object in the first turn then wait until the very last turn of the battle for it to respawn and then destroy it again for another key item. :sassargh:

You can completely ignore that if you want though, you get 10x more units than you need by just playing normally.

I'm not even sure you can get them all on Hard/Nightmare difficulty seeing as you get way less turns to win in.

Edit: Well you definitely can't get them all on a single playthrough anyway since about 1/3 of them are unique to each main character. And besides that, there's no reason to bother doing so.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 19, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I can't imagine Atlus not announcing both games at this point. Otherwise the actual announcement is going to be a giant "gently caress you" to everyone who wanted Growlanser whichever game doesn't get localized.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

If anyone was interested in purchasing the SMT: Persona 2: Innocent Sin for PSP, the price on Amazon has dropped to $19.99 with free 1-day shipping!. The free 1-day shopping is good through "December 21, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been contemplating the offer but I'm still waiting to find out if Atlus has their PSN sale this year again. Does anybody know how UMD and digital load times compare for the game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This is dumb.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh you have to be kidding. Both box arts have pink and white! :suicide:

Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded matches with the pixie's wings (the one on the left). But then you can't discount the pink cape thing behind Gungnir's logo.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
The whole clue thing has become so ridiculous that it's wrapped around and become hilarious to me.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Man Growlanser's artwork is loving hideous.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Oh you have to be kidding. Both box arts have pink and white! :suicide:

Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded matches with the pixie's wings (the one on the left). But then you can't discount the pink cape thing behind Gungnir's logo.
This is how big those 25 pixels are when placed next to full size PSP cover art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

At what resolution? I'm actually kind of curious.

I imagine that those Atlus people are probably trying to find matching palettes or something for those pixels at the moment and arguing about gradients or something.