Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, get some burr walnut in there.

You mean the shiny swirl stuff? I never liked it, it comes on the base models.

I like the CF trim on the SRT more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not NEW new (it was presented at the Geneva 2011 show), but gently caress me, the Citroën Metropolis DS9 concept is sex on wheels.

Weird, laid back, silky-smooth French sex with a bit of jazz in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNcuG7N9Vc

Considering how close the C6 turned out to be to the original C6 Lignage concept, I have high hopes for this one. I know with 100% certainty that there is a large, hydropneumatic Citroën in my future. My current plans are for a used C6, but with some luck, perhaps a DS9 could be in the cards someday.

I hope they raise the roof line or lower the belt line just a little bit, but that's modern car design for you.

Big Citroëns. You either love to hate them, or hate to love them.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Throatwarbler posted:

It's not glossy so you can tell its real wood. I don't like wood panelling on most cars so don't feel strongly about it either way but at least it wont blind you in sunlight.

One exception is the new Infiniti M's wood panels. Line up the grain and it looks much more expensive.

I'm surprised how much I like the M56, saw it a few years ago at the auto show and thought it was awesome, dont remember the interior being that classy, that door panel is amazing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

I'm surprised how much I like the M56, saw it a few years ago at the auto show and thought it was awesome, dont remember the interior being that classy, that door panel is amazing.

Well that one only came out this year is a MY2011 so you wouldn't have seen it. That particular wood is called "Japanese Grey Ash" or some such which is a nice touch that sets it apart from the Germans.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks like the kitchen cabinets in a cheap vacation home circa 1960s.

Agreed its horrible.

Give me the cheap plastic of the old G35 any day over poo poo like that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I like the Chrysler. If all those chrome accents are actual metal and not that kid's toy chromed plastic stuff, the only thing I don't like is the blue backlighting for the gauges. I don't get why everyone thinks that wood grain is less appropriate than plastic or carbon fiber on an "executive" style car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

I don't get why everyone thinks that wood grain is less appropriate than plastic or carbon fiber on an "executive" style car.

I didn't hear anyone saying that. What I did hear was a rightful disdain for cheap wood trim that has been cheaply done. That Chrysler didn't look nearly as bad as some of what I've seen, but did appear pretty much lifeless and boring.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

I didn't hear anyone saying that. What I did hear was a rightful disdain for cheap wood trim that has been cheaply done. That Chrysler didn't look nearly as bad as some of what I've seen, but did appear pretty much lifeless and boring.

Dissss and Throatwarbler had expressed preference for plastic and CF, respectively, but yes, maybe I'm mis-reading them. Maybe the wood doesn't look dynamic enough, I think it looks fine. It's a bit plain, but it doesn't need to be ostentatious or anything. Really I just like anything that isn't plastic, which I guess anything in that class would be. It's not a market segment I patronize so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, I admit.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Raluek posted:

Dissss and Throatwarbler had expressed preference for plastic and CF, respectively, but yes, maybe I'm mis-reading them. Maybe the wood doesn't look dynamic enough, I think it looks fine. It's a bit plain, but it doesn't need to be ostentatious or anything. Really I just like anything that isn't plastic, which I guess anything in that class would be. It's not a market segment I patronize so maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, I admit.

I don't like wood on anything because I'm not an old man and wood to me feels like an old man material. If it were up to me all my furniture would be CF too. :colbert:

However I think the Chrysler's wood works well with the rest of the brown interior and is better than the swirly red walnut stuff that you get on European cars, at least this thing actually looks like wood.

Maybe its the lighting.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

Its not wood in general I don't like but how poo poo it looks in the Infiniti posted - like KozmoNaut said it looks like a cheap kitchen from the 60s

I do like how it looks in the Chrysler.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I like BMWs zebra wood, otherwise I'd rather aluminum or CF.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think it's hard to do wood paneling these days because so many manufacturers use it to tart up their shitbox cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

I think it's hard to do wood paneling these days because so many manufacturers use it to tart up their shitbox cars.

I have an aquantiance you bought a wood accent kit for her PT Cruiser. The amount of stick on wood bits is staggering. She later got matching exterior bits like this.

And then a few months later she bought a used surfboard and bolted it to the roofrack.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

I need this for my volvo.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Cakefool posted:

I need this for my volvo.

Now I have the idea to sneak over to 14"'s place sometime and stick a bunch of horrible wood accents on his car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's a mid-eighties Jetta around here with a fablon wood bonnet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The A7 has some of the dopest wood on an interior that I've seen in a very long time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Unless I'm reading my dimensions really incorrectly, is Buick seriously bringing a Pontiac Vibe sized car to market? That's hilarious, and a little awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That looks even smaller, like Sonic sized. A-pillar area looks about the same:

Rear of the car is very Vibe/Matrix, though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

That looks even smaller, like Sonic sized. A-pillar area looks about the same:

Rear of the car is very Vibe/Matrix, though.

This thing is tiny, I can't believe they are actually going to sell this thing here. Who will buy it?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Seeing that pic and looking into it; the Mokka is reportedly 4300mm/169.3 inches long. The Sonic/Aveo is ten inches shorter, while the final-gen vibe is 172 inches long.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Both models are on the Gamma platform, apparently. The front dimensions seems drat near identical.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the Cayenne diesel is finally coming to North America this year. Endless PCA trolling amusement to follow. Possibly with installation of dual stacks.

Now all Porsche needs is a 3/4t >8,500lb GVWR Superduty GT3RS model with a bed and they'll be a full line automaker.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 4, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I want a diesel Cayman.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

Now all Porsche needs is a 3/4t >8,500lb GVWR Superduty GT3RS model with a bed and they'll be a full line automaker.
A Cayenne Turbo-engined VW Amarok would be :black101:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

InitialDave posted:

A Cayenne Turbo-engined VW Amarok would be :black101:

Nah, I'll take the V10 TDI from the Toureg.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

D C posted:

Nah, I'll take the V10 TDI from the Toureg.

What's wrong with the V8 from the current one?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's not a V10.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Guinness posted:

It's not a V10.

Duh

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

While we're still in the realm of the theoretical, why not take the V12 TDI from the Q7 and stuff that in a Cayenne?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

MrChips posted:

While we're still in the realm of the theoretical, why not take the V12 TDI from the Q7 and stuff that in a Cayenne?

Looking at Audi.de, the GVWR of the V12 Q7 is 3405kg. The EPA's cutoff for "passenger vehicle" is 8,500lbs or 3856kg. All they would have to do is beef it up a little more (if that, GVWR is just a theoretical number anyway) and it would cross over into the same category as an F-350 Superduty and be emissions legal. I'm baffled as to why they haven't already thought of this because the demand for such a vehicle in the US and Canada must be enormous.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

davebo posted:

I was really hoping the Veloster might be my next car, because I really like the 3 door aspect, and would love a hatch.

I was really excited about the Veloster, and then I saw one in person. It has one of those lovely hatches like the C30 that makes it worthless for hauling anything bigger than a coffee table.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Internet Meme posted:

I was really excited about the Veloster, and then I saw one in person. It has one of those lovely hatches like the C30 that makes it worthless for hauling anything bigger than a coffee table.

you can't get skiis and a snowboard in the hatch of a C30. That's how we ended up in a Kia Rondo one year.

the kia rondo was loving great

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Internet Meme posted:

If you're wanting to haul a bale of horses may I suggest a pick up truck?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Looking at Audi.de, the GVWR of the V12 Q7 is 3405kg. The EPA's cutoff for "passenger vehicle" is 8,500lbs or 3856kg. All they would have to do is beef it up a little more (if that, GVWR is just a theoretical number anyway) and it would cross over into the same category as an F-350 Superduty and be emissions legal. I'm baffled as to why they haven't already thought of this because the demand for such a vehicle in the US and Canada must be enormous.

A 500HP 6-liter V12 diesel SUV that gets 19MPG. Sure, why not? :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Peanut President posted:

If you're wanting to haul a bale of horses may I suggest a pick up truck?

Well most people buy hatchbacks for the utility, it's kinda pointless if the hatch is smaller than a trunk opening, which the C30 has. Might as well make the car a coupe then.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

A 500HP 6-liter V12 diesel SUV that gets 19MPG. Sure, why not? :haw:
That's actually not a bad deal in performance vs economy terms.

EDIT: Really, they could just bolt two slabs of lead to the underside to bring the weight up, which people who buy them can then instantly remove (and weigh them in, of course, money's money).

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 5, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

That's actually not a bad deal in performance vs economy terms.

EDIT: Really, they could just bolt two slabs of lead to the underside to bring the weight up, which people who buy them can then instantly remove (and weigh them in, of course, money's money).

It's GVWR, not curb weight. I doubt they would have to actually bolt on anything, just change the number on the spec sheet.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

leica posted:

Well most people buy hatchbacks for the utility, it's kinda pointless if the hatch is smaller than a trunk opening, which the C30 has. Might as well make the car a coupe then.
I brought this up talking about the mini coupe, I was quickly reminded that lots of cars are bought with daddy's money because "its cute and peppy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

tbb9 posted:

I brought this up talking about the mini coupe, I was quickly reminded that lots of cars are bought with daddy's money because "its cute and peppy"

To be fair to the C30, it's more than just "peppy," since in 2008 at least it was quicker than a VW GTI. I see it as a niche-filler similar to the X6: a personal vehicle masquerading as "utilitarian."