Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I think the wood looks cheap and nasty, but other than that, it's pretty nice.

I agree about the wood part, it's a step in the right direction for US manufacturers. I'm also not a fan of burr, I think it's a gross color to try and coordinate in a car's interior. My Merc uses a black birdseye maple that I think is stunning:

I still think the best wood automotive interior goes to the E63 AMG's piano black wood trim. Couldn't find a better pic, apparently it's really hard to find a high-res photo of an E63 interior that isn't the CF treatment. They had several at my dealership in the black trim option and in person it's the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen. Here's a picture of a piano black wood treatment on a Brabus Smart that I saw at the Frankfurt motor show a few years ago. I didn't like the contrast treatment as much as I would have preferred the black on black on black like on my car.

According to Brabus I believe they said the wood trim upgrade alone on the Smart car would run 8,000 euro (about the price of the Smart car). My wife was definitely tempted to get it for hers.

As far as the Chrysler goes, I still hope deep in my heart that one day the US manufacturers will figure out how to design knobs for poo poo like the AC that isn't a giant blob of plastic. It's like the engineers think that someone should be able to no-look for everything and grasp it easily so the driver can keep their eyes on the road, but the reality is that 90% of US drivers are paying attention to anything but the road anyways. So they might was well comprise substantially for aesthetics since at heart we all love a beautiful car. The instruments are at least a big improvement.

e: looking at the 2012 line on the AMG website shows the piano black gloss trim no longer exists and has been replaced by black ash. I guess if I ever want to own it I'll need to pickup a CPO'd 2011 E63.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What, like this piano black? :colbert:

All the reviews say it's a bad idea unless you and all your passengers wear white gloves at all times, or your chauffeur has to wipe it for fingerprints every night.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mr.Peabody posted:

I agree about the wood part, it's a step in the right direction for US manufacturers. I'm also not a fan of burr, I think it's a gross color to try and coordinate in a car's interior. My Merc uses a black birdseye maple that I think is stunning:

Burr is the pattern of the wood (a "burr" is a knot from multiple branch growths that gives the pattern when sliced through), not the colour.

I agree about the dark colours being nicer, and the almost-black maple that Mercedes use is one of the few things I like about their cars. But even walnut colouring would be far superior to the "We got this from Ikea" effort in the Infiniti.

All of it, though, pales in comparison to manufacturers saying "Hey, we made the plastic silver, it's just like aluminium, right?".

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

InitialDave posted:

All of it, though, pales in comparison to manufacturers saying "Hey, we made the plastic silver, it's just like aluminium, right?".

Car exteriors have been getting the worst of this lately, it all just looks so tacky. It is right up there with tiny rear windows and high beltlines as far as the visual sins of modern cars go.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Having been out perusing cars with my old man for a few days, here's something that's been winding me up: Lack of information on AWD systems.

Dealers, brochures, reviews and manufacturers' websites will tell you drat near everything about the features of a car, and when you're talking to a salesman they can normally tell you if the car's autobox (for example) is a traditional auto, a CVT, or a DSG design. But you just try asking them how the four wheel drive works on a car equipped with it, and watch them fumble.

So what is it? Haldex? Viscous? Actively controlled electronically? If I select the option that says "4x4 lock" or whatever, does it do what it should do, and lock the front and rear axles together, or does it just take it under advisement?

No-one ever seems to be able to tell you.

Now I don't expect to have a conversation that involves the gear ratios, or how much boost the engine's running, that sort of thing, but what a manufacturer means when they build a car that has AWD is pretty loving fundamental. If you're really lucky, they mention something about how their system is so very clever about giving you drive "when you need it", but that doesn't tell me how it works.

Some manufacturers are better than others, but if I'm in a showroom and ask "So, is the drive to the rear though a Haldex lockup?", I expect more than a blank stare. I shouldn't have to go and spend twenty minutes afterwards googling to find out.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Who really understands how AWD works anyway? I'm not sure I do. It's not a very intuitive subject. v:saddowns:v

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I would never expect useful information from a salesperson, even if it sounds right they may just be lying to get the sale. New cars have the same rule as used ones, do your own research first.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I hate metallic plastic so much.

Shiny metallic plastic for reflectors and the like are great, but it seems like everything needs to be crappy metal-lookalike plastic these days. It's not just cars, it's everywhere.

Goddammit. If you want something to look like metal, make it out of loving metal!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate metallic plastic so much.

Shiny metallic plastic for reflectors and the like are great, but it seems like everything needs to be crappy metal-lookalike plastic these days. It's not just cars, it's everywhere.

Goddammit. If you want something to look like metal, make it out of loving metal!

Fun game, count the number of cars you see with fake metallic plastic strips on both the trunk and grille. It's like some sort of cross-manufacturer design language to say "we have run out of good design sense so here's some bling"

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
"what's the cheapest way to make this poo poo look expensive?" Thankfully, VWvortex is battling the wave of plastichrome with plastidip spray. I like that $15k cars are riddled with plastichrome, LEDzzz under headlamps and bangle butts because luxury car makers Did A Thing in 2005.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Having been out perusing cars with my old man for a few days, here's something that's been winding me up: Lack of information on AWD systems.

Dealers, brochures, reviews and manufacturers' websites will tell you drat near everything about the features of a car, and when you're talking to a salesman they can normally tell you if the car's autobox (for example) is a traditional auto, a CVT, or a DSG design. But you just try asking them how the four wheel drive works on a car equipped with it, and watch them fumble.

I can imagine you asking all these questions and the salesperson meekly restating dofferent version of the statement 'It takes power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip :downs:'

Throatwarbler posted:

Who really understands how AWD works anyway? I'm not sure I do. It's not a very intuitive subject. v:saddowns:v

It's actually really easy to understand, it's just one of those things that makes more sense when you see it rather than read about it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

law abiding rapist posted:

Fun game, count the number of cars you see with fake metallic plastic strips on both the trunk and grille. It's like some sort of cross-manufacturer design language to say "we have run out of good design sense so here's some bling"

It's more or less all of them and it drives me nuts. Luckily, mine only has plastichrome strips on the front, on the other hand, the current loving Fiat logo itself is ringed with plastichrome :downs:

I'll admit it looks ok on some cars:

(I have no idea if that is actual metal or plastichrome)

Actually, I dislike matte brushed aluminum-look plastic more. It looks so tacky and you know they could have used a proper color instead, but chose the crappy-rear end fake aluminum, like on hubcaps to make them look like alloys.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

"what's the cheapest way to make this poo poo look expensive?" Thankfully, VWvortex is battling the wave of plastichrome with plastidip spray. I like that $15k cars are riddled with plastichrome, LEDzzz under headlamps and bangle butts because luxury car makers Did A Thing in 2005.

I think that's precisely the reasoning they use and it always ends up looking like rear end.

I am highly tempted to repaint the thankfully limited plastichrome and fake-alu bits on my car. I'm thinking satin black for the plastichrome and satin black or body color for the fake-alu.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The problem is, if they give you that information, you get to ask the uncomfortable question as to why one vehicle in their lineup has an inferior system to another vehicle in their lineup.

Audi doesn't want anyone to know that the A3 and the A4 have different AWD systems, they just want everyone to know that they both have AWD variants available.

Answers tend to cause more questions and the last thing they want to do is say "it was done this way on this model because it was cheaper."

Also, plastichrome is actually real chrome. They just plated plastic instead of metal. The reason is obvious, cost and (more importantly) weight. Safety is a factor too. They would rather that chrome plated plastic shatter when you hit a pedestrian rather than shank them with a real piece.

The real question is, does chrome in any form belong on a modern car? I would have to say "pretty much never" at this point.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 6, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

Burr is the pattern of the wood (a "burr" is a knot from multiple branch growths that gives the pattern when sliced through), not the colour.

Grrr it's burl wood, not burr wood. A burl is a big nasty tumor-like growth on a tree. But the grain looks cool and it's fairly rare and hard to work with. This is why cheap cars have chunks of orangy plastic printed with blobs and wavy lines: they are meant to look like the cross-sections of tree tumors. In conclusion, rich people are weird.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Cheer up SAAB fans, There could be a new brand under the GM tree soon! :regd08:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 7, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KozmoNaut posted:

I am highly tempted to repaint the thankfully limited plastichrome and fake-alu bits on my car. I'm thinking satin black for the plastichrome and satin black or body color for the fake-alu.

What ever happened to black nickel plate finishes? Weren't they all the rage for badge emblems and stuff in the 90s? That stuff is pretty boss.

Also, blued steel/gunmetal might look cool. As would copper.

And then there's always gold :whatup:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Throatwarbler posted:

Cheer up SAAB fans, There could be a new brand under the GM tree soon! :regd08:

So for like 20 years GM has been killing brands (Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, SAAB, HUMMER) but now they want to take over another one? What in the gently caress.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cream_Filling posted:

Grrr it's burl wood, not burr wood.
I'm British.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Peanut President posted:

So for like 20 years GM has been killing brands (Olds, Pontiac, Saturn, SAAB, HUMMER) but now they want to take over another one? What in the gently caress.

Just make an Exige with an SBC and everything else will sort itself out.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

InitialDave posted:

Here is a short version I have been able to come up with.

Audi/Subaru, mostly their own AWD systems of various sorts.
Nissan Juke, their own electronically controlled AWD, > Haldex 4.
Kia Sportage EX, Magna designed electronically controlled AWD, similar to the Juke.
EVERY OTHER CAR. Haldex.

Both the Sportage and the Juke have a system similar to Haldex in that there's an electronically controlled oil coupling that applies power to the rear wheels. Neither is 100% of the time AWD, but neither are they reactive to the point where you can correct before the system responds. At least in the Juke, you have three modes; FWD, AWD and AWD-V. FWD is self-explanatory, AWD is similar to Haldex in operation, AWD-V is for "torque vectoring" and is a lot more aggressive in shuttling power around the corners. I've forgotten most of what I did find, because i'm not in the market for a car for at least several more years. The Kia system is similar in function, but there are less details about it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

bull3964 posted:

The real question is, does chrome in any form belong on a modern car? I would have to say "pretty much never" at this point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Skyssx posted:

EVERY OTHER CAR. Haldex.

Honda has its SH-AWD. Toyota has a bunch of different tech.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyssx posted:

Audi/Subaru, mostly their own AWD systems of various sorts.
Nissan Juke, their own electronically controlled AWD, > Haldex 4.
Kia Sportage EX, Magna designed electronically controlled AWD, similar to the Juke.
EVERY OTHER CAR. Haldex.

Both the Sportage and the Juke have a system similar to Haldex in that there's an electronically controlled oil coupling that applies power to the rear wheels. Neither is 100% of the time AWD, but neither are they reactive to the point where you can correct before the system responds. At least in the Juke, you have three modes; FWD, AWD and AWD-V. FWD is self-explanatory, AWD is similar to Haldex in operation, AWD-V is for "torque vectoring" and is a lot more aggressive in shuttling power around the corners. I've forgotten most of what I did find, because i'm not in the market for a car for at least several more years. The Kia system is similar in function, but there are less details about it.

Jut go here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

What ever happened to black nickel plate finishes? Weren't they all the rage for badge emblems and stuff in the 90s? That stuff is pretty boss.

That would actually look pretty cool. But it's probably not "ooh shiny" enough for the buying public :(

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Dodge Dart is revealed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrdxDk_jWkQ

[

Look OK but a hatchback form factor would work better instead of the stubby trunk. I like the low beltline and open greenhouse.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 7, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

The Dodge Dart is revealed.
Look OK but a hatchback form factor would work better instead of the stubby trunk. I like the low beltline and open greenhouse.

I like the rear lights a lot and the interior looks pretty good.

I'm not completely sold on the front, but I think they did a good job of integrating the crosshair grill without letting it dominate.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Press photos all with a manual transmission? My word! :monocle:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I think we had this earlier, but having been out on a few test drives: The sequential manual shift function on autos and DSGs? It should be pull towards you for a higher gear, push away from you for a lower gear. Why the hell is everyone making it the other (wrong) way round, and why (given that it's all just electronics) can't I choose which I want?

Sort it out, manufacturers!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It actually looks very nice to me, though a hatch version would probably have better proportions. Good job Chrysler and whoever was responsible for pushing this through.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If they release an SRT model with >300HP and a decent AWD system, I'd be game.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
The dart is hugely disappointing because i thought it was going to be a relatively untouched alfa Giulietta with maybe a new front grill that has the dodge cross... instead they made it into a frumpy little weak sedan. Lame.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, basically looks like an updated Neon to me. Interior looks good though.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I think it looks amazing. Best looking vehicle in its class too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I think we had this earlier, but having been out on a few test drives: The sequential manual shift function on autos and DSGs? It should be pull towards you for a higher gear, push away from you for a lower gear. Why the hell is everyone making it the other (wrong) way round, and why (given that it's all just electronics) can't I choose which I want?

And the manufacturers (with a lot of justification) will say - "If you want to row your own, get a manual, tough poo poo"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

if it is just a microswitch at the root of the paddle, it should be easy enough to reverse once you take the steering column apart...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Terrist posted:

And the manufacturers (with a lot of justification) will say - "If you want to row your own, get a manual, tough poo poo"

If it's all computerized, it's literally a 30-second change in the underlying code.

What I don't understand is why you would take an Alfa and uglify it. I mean, who's going to be convinced by, "it's an Alfa, so you know it's reliable!" Alfas are beautiful works of art, but none too reliable. Why take their one decent trait away from them?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
because they're not trying to sell Alfas, they're trying to sell Dodges. The Dart looks pretty good other than the weird vestigial trunk, but Americans and sedans &c. It is kind of important to have some sort of design cohesion throughout the lineup- having a Giulietta with a Dodge badge amidst the Chargers and Challengers and whatever the gently caress else would be a little odd.

Plus, I may be in the minority or whatever, but I think Alfa's styling team has kind of lost its way in the last five or six years.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Plus, I may be in the minority or whatever, but I think Alfa's styling team has kind of lost its way in the last five or six years.

The grilles on the new FWD Alfas are a bit much. They look like surprised parrots. The 159 looks great though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Dart looks awesome, here's hoping they do indeed release an SRT version and it sparks a new US hot hatch craze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

The grilles on the new FWD Alfas are a bit much. They look like surprised parrots. The 159 looks great though.

I thought I deliberately cut it to "alfas post 159/Brera" but yeah, that for me was basically the modern peak.

ATS looks cool too. Go read a blog about it or whatever.