Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

jojoinnit posted:

Never run across this. I'd reinstall, make sure you've properly installed the updated exe, change rendering to openGL or Direct3D (depending on which you were using. You should be adjusting the resolution in the exe launcher box before you start the game. Failing all that I'd reinstall.

reinstalling now. When I adjusted the resolution in the launcher it launched at a really low setting but Deus Ex said it was in 1920 x 1280. Is this just the ui being really huge for high resolutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Alright I got it working right (or close to right I don't really care anymore) and I played the statue level. And it was pretty fun! I'm really glad I took my buddies adise and chose the gep gun since I found the other two in a couple minutes. Im at the castle place now, only problem I have is that I can't find anyone to buy ammo off of and the guy in the armory just told me to get moving. I like to play non-lethal where I can.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Deus Ex 1 doesn't have any shops. There are a few people throughout the game who will sell you things but 99% of your ammunition is going to come from exploration and enemy drops. If you're out of pepper spray, gas grenades and riot prod charges you'll have to fall back on the baton if you want to play non-lethally.

edit: and tranquilizer darts. Forgot those.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It does have shops, only different from the RPGs you are used to and more realistic. Stuff readily available to be stolen and then some did have security features.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Well, I would classify those under exploration, since you're breaking in and stealing things rather than exchanging credits for them. But you're right that shops do exist in the game world.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Alright I got it working right (or close to right I don't really care anymore) and I played the statue level.
My only advice for a new player is that pepper spray is actually ridiculously useful and it only takes a single puff (of which you actually get 200 per 100 ammo cartridge) to incapacitate anyone susceptible to gas. Huge ammo saver. Don't try to shoot someone you are literally pushing on though or the puff will spawn behind them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hogburto posted:

My only advice for a new player is that pepper spray is actually ridiculously useful and it only takes a single puff (of which you actually get 200 per 100 ammo cartridge) to incapacitate anyone susceptible to gas. Huge ammo saver. Don't try to shoot someone you are literally pushing on though or the puff will spawn behind them.

Occupy Area 51. Pepper spray everyone. :patriot:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I kill everyone after I run out of non lethal ammo and now I'm some big war criminal.

I don't have an eye for early 2000 pc games, can someone tell me if this is running in 1920x1080? The large ui and sort of small fov tell me it isn't but I've set it to 1920x1080 in the deus exe, ini file and in game settings.

http://i.imgur.com/3xJ0g.jpg

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
moved to DX:HR thread.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 5, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

midnightclimax posted:

Didn't find a DX:HR thread

Right here buddy http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3425907

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

I kill everyone after I run out of non lethal ammo and now I'm some big war criminal.

I don't have an eye for early 2000 pc games, can someone tell me if this is running in 1920x1080? The large ui and sort of small fov tell me it isn't but I've set it to 1920x1080 in the deus exe, ini file and in game settings.

It is. The UI scales with the resolution unless you turn that off in the deus exe options.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Right Click -> Image Properties posted:

Dimensions: 1920x1080

Sure looks like it to me.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Thanks, I wasnt sure if it was actually 16:9 or stretched and blown up. Now all I have to do is get the ui high resolution mod working.

I'm at the airport now, and I'm really racking up the body count. I guess I should really try stealth more because just trying to eliminate people with non lethal ammo leads to me running out of non lethal ammo leads to me killing people.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I wasnt sure if it was actually 16:9 or stretched and blown up. Now all I have to do is get the ui high resolution mod working.

I'm at the airport now, and I'm really racking up the body count. I guess I should really try stealth more because just trying to eliminate people with non lethal ammo leads to me running out of non lethal ammo leads to me killing people.
A non-lethal run in Deus Ex is really tough because of the limited non-lethal options, and generally not worth it. Plus the game's just way more fun when you can actually use the weapons. Try it on your second play-through. Knowing where enemies are (and thus being able to avoid them) helps a lot. Also if you get good with the Baton, you can sneak up on people and bring them down in melee really fast. It's like a harder-to-do version of HR's takedowns.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm not trying to do a full non-lethal, just maybe leave like half the people I encounter alive afterwards so the armory guy wont treat me like war criminal when I ask for weapons. If he doesn't like my methods then poo poo, he should throw some darts my way!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I'm not trying to do a full non-lethal, just maybe leave like half the people I encounter alive afterwards so the armory guy wont treat me like war criminal when I ask for weapons. If he doesn't like my methods then poo poo, he should throw some darts my way!

This always did annoy me. I always play non-lethal and instead of helping me out with non-lethal stuff Carter keeps giving me useless bullets! If you are lethal I assume he gives you nothing? Where's the logic in that, General?!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
As a slightly unrelated note, one of the books quoted and referenced frequently in Deus Ex, G.K. Chesterton's "The Man Who Was Thursday" is the January Book of the Month Club book in The Book Barn. You should consider joining in! It's metaphysical thriller about anarchist plots in turn-of-the-last-century Europe, with approaches and references that you should pick up in reverse if you know your Deus Ex.

The book is even free via Project Gutenberg since Chesterton is dead as hell. You can buy it though too.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Alright so (and I'm not spoiling this cause the game is nearly twelve years old but if someone requests me to I'll edit) I just killed Anna (and funny enough the terrorist guy died in the crossfire) and I'm on the roof on a UNATCO building. I just uploaded a message to a radio dish and now I'm found out for a big 'ol traitor and now I don't know what to do. I fought off the initial assault from the suits but now there is no objective.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Alright so (and I'm not spoiling this cause the game is nearly twelve years old but if someone requests me to I'll edit) I just killed Anna (and funny enough the terrorist guy died in the crossfire) and I'm on the roof on a UNATCO building. I just uploaded a message to a radio dish and now I'm found out for a big 'ol traitor and now I don't know what to do. I fought off the initial assault from the suits but now there is no objective.
Head back to Paul. Just go to the Ton Hotel and he'll still be in the chair in the apartment.

Also i envy you because i wish i could play this bit for the first time again. :allears:

Also try and save Lebedev (the terrorist guy) next time if you're going to kill Anna then. He has some interesting things to say.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Alright, I did as you said and after some careful dropping of boxes and uncareful jumps from roofs I snuck past most the guards and made my way to the Ton. After jumping down the stairs I got hit a couple times in a gunfight and had to crawl all the way to the station, gunning people down with my sniper rifle. I made it up to central park when...that fucker came up to me and arrested me. It was a pretty cool moment, inching past some steps desperately hoping to avoid the guards and then seeing Gunther sprinting towards me.

I gotta say some of the voice acting is...flat? It's better than I would have expected for the time but the actor for JC Denton has one tone for just about everything. It's especially weird when they keep talking about how his brothers been killed and he can only muster up a "oh I guess that's interesting" tone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'll let you know that "JC finds a bomb" is on par with shakespeare.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I gotta say some of the voice acting is...flat? It's better than I would have expected for the time but the actor for JC Denton has one tone for just about everything. It's especially weird when they keep talking about how his brothers been killed and he can only muster up a "oh I guess that's interesting" tone.
JC was supposed to be monotone in order to allow players to project their own emotions on him. I don't know if it worked very well. Deus Ex is kind of a low-budget game in places, and the voice acting ranges from "passable" to "hilariously bizarre."

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The voice acting never bothered me within the game, but when listening to it in clips outside the game a lot of it is shockingly bad.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I have a slight problem with Deus Ex and Ubuntu 10.04 (Leeenux Linux 4.01). Apparently even though window manager reports the OS running full-colour (24 bits apparently) and I choose 32 bits in Deus Exe as well, display depth drops to 16 bits anyway, even in windowed mode.

Do I have some wrong settings in Wine or is this something I'll have to live with? As I've played the game on the default Xandros OS it seemed to work on 32 bits.

Machine is Asus EEE 701 (Celeron M 900, Intel 900 GMA).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

FactsAreUseless posted:

A non-lethal run in Deus Ex is really tough

It really isn't. Just have to be methodical.

(Well, unless you're counting bugging Anna to let you out without dying in that)

and I'm on the roof on a UNATCO building

That's an NSF building, UNATCO only captured it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

There's a later hub that you're just going to love then.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Alright so (and I'm not spoiling this cause the game is nearly twelve years old but if someone requests me to I'll edit)

I wish people wouldn't have this kind of attitude with spoilers. There are always going to be people who haven't experienced something, either because they're younger or they just missed it the first time. Even that Star Wars one people always talk about. I'd just say it since everyone already knows but then I'd be a hypocrite.

FactsAreUseless posted:

JC was supposed to be monotone in order to allow players to project their own emotions on him.

Where does this information come from? The Deus Ex Bible? I always hear it but never hear it sourced. I should probably read that thing since I'm obsessed with Deus Ex, but reading is hard.
It does bother me when J.C. smiles in fanart since he CANNOT SMILE. :mad:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Alright, I did as you said and after some careful dropping of boxes and uncareful jumps from roofs I snuck past most the guards and made my way to the Ton. After jumping down the stairs I got hit a couple times in a gunfight and had to crawl all the way to the station, gunning people down with my sniper rifle. I made it up to central park when...that fucker came up to me and arrested me. It was a pretty cool moment, inching past some steps desperately hoping to avoid the guards and then seeing Gunther sprinting towards me.

Try saving Paul next time. It took me a decade to realize you could do that.

Also, someone beat me to it, but if you loved the voice acting already then you just wait until you get out of the prison!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Poppleganger posted:

I wish people wouldn't have this kind of attitude with spoilers. There are always going to be people who haven't experienced something, either because they're younger or they just missed it the first time. Even that Star Wars one people always talk about. I'd just say it since everyone already knows but then I'd be a hypocrite.

Trying to avoid spoiling anyone, ever, is a great idea but spoiler tagging everything makes threads harder to read and more annoying to contribute to. It's perfectly reasonable to expect spoilers when entering a thread for any game older than a few months. That said, if someone posts in the thread explicitly stating that they're playing through for the first time, spoiler tags are the polite thing to do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Poppleganger posted:

Where does this information come from? The Deus Ex Bible? I always hear it but never hear it sourced. I should probably read that thing since I'm obsessed with Deus Ex, but reading is hard.
It does bother me when J.C. smiles in fanart since he CANNOT SMILE. :mad:

Flat readings in RPGs are fairly common (eg Alpha Protocol, where the VA got told to put less emotion into it to stop Thorton sounding schizophrenic if you switched styles in the middle of a conversation)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Nicely done getting to Gunther. I don't think I did my first couple times. Mind keeping us updated? I really love hearing peoples thoughts as they play this game for the first time.

Also, everyone else: I don't think it's nice to point out all the diverging paths and choices he could have made. Part of the fun is finding things out or at least noting them for the future play-through. I just hate playing a game and feeling like I "messed up" because I missed something that someone else says I should have done. I realise I did it myself by telling him to save Lebedev next time, but I don't think it's the same as "you should have saved Paul".

I'm not sure I'm getting across what I'm trying to say here, v :) v, sorry running on very little sleep.

God, I love talking about this game.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Alright so I escaped the UNATCO building leaving about 30 widows and an unemployed secretary. Partly because this game doesn't have a radar system (I'd trade half my augs for one) and partly because Denton comes across as a sort of psychopath I've nearly given up not killing guards. If I leave 1 in 3 alive I feel alright about it. I like the albino explanation for the shades and coat (although my Denton is Hispanic so I guess future tan?) and building a little team from the inside of UNATCO. I guess it's REALLY important not to miss augs since the canisters are tied to a body slot.

e- poo poo I could have fought the guards at Pauls apartment! That's pretty cool!

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 7, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's actually more important, in my opinion, not to miss aug upgrades; there are multiple versions of each aug canisters, although they are in many cases much later in the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The first time I encountered Gunther's ambush, it was through an obscure entrance and everyone stood there for a minute before shooting me, unprovoked.
Can you beat Gunther?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The first time I encountered Gunther's ambush, it was through an obscure entrance and everyone stood there for a minute before shooting me, unprovoked.
Can you beat Gunther?
Nope. I once even got to Jock and the fucker just sat there doing nothing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you beat Gunther?

Like the above poster said, you can pretty much get to exactly where you could potentially escape the ambush, but Jock doesn't do anything. It's one of the game's few "fake choices", in that it doesn't really matter what you do, Gunther and his hatred for lemon-lime soda will hunt you down.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Okay I hate the air control level. All the air ducks fold in on themselves and I don't know where to go. I tried killing everyone but no luck.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
One air duct leads to the control room, search harder. Or get a nanokey from one of the lockers and open the control room that way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

All the air ducks fold in on themselves

What a surreal image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What a surreal image
Truly a game of Escherian proportions.