Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Hammer Floyd posted:

The problem is that Lars is required for Metallica. He's an absolute oval office, but his cuntishness is the reason why they got so successful. His willingness to step on somebody else in order to get that little bit further ahead is probably why we know about Metallica more than we do any other Bay Area thrash band.

Sure, their music went commercial with Load\Reload, but I actually argue that Black is pretty loving metal. Holier Than Thou? Through The Never? Struggle Within? The God That Failed is basically an off-cut from AJFA and Wherever I May Roam is just a loving awesome song it doesn't matter what the gently caress it is. Sad But True (while painfully overplayed) is heavy as hell and so is My Friend Of Misery.

Besides, they were expected to win a Grammy for One. I mean...if you're winning grammys, you're probably reasonably commercial aren't you? All of their marketability comes from Lars' direction, but the awesome music comes from James.

I love Black, too - Don't Tread on Me is one of my favorite Metallica songs.

I just think that when you're talking about 80s thrash, RtL, MoP and AJFA are albums that will always be listed near the top. Isn't MoP consistently in top-20 metal album lists to this day?

And yeah, credit where credit's due for the cutthroat way that Lars handled the band. They wouldn't be the Metallica that we love (and hate) without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IRQ posted:

Yeah that's a really strange thing to say. The drumming on Marrow of the Spirit sounds very different from all their previous albums (in a kinda bad way) and I guess you've just explained why.
I don't know that I would agree with you there. I like the new drumming, but it makes for a very different feel to the music. Haughm is not a good drummer, I don't think he would claim to be. The drumming on most of Agalloch's stuff is very basic, not at all fluid. It helps to give a sort of cold, dead, wintermusic feeling to what they do. Aesop's drumming is much more competent, but he plays very fluidly and organically. That makes the music feel more alive. If you all will forgive the use of imagery instead of actual musical terminology, the old stuff feels like a snow-covered stone, the new stuff feels like a tree in autumn.

At first I was kind of put off by the drumming on Marrow, but it isn't bad. It's just different. Sometimes I would rather have more of the same old style, but oh well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Black Sabbath just released the following:

quote:

With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan – the “IRON MAN” of Rock & Roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery.

drat :( But, if Nergal can beat lymphoma, so can Tony Iommi!

Cesaro
Oct 5, 2004

Durendal posted:

Has any one heard of Subsignal? I just found out about them and I was surprised to say the least. This is some great stuff even if it isn't that heavy. Their new album is definitely in my top 5 for 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Izjn9XJ4Y

The lead singer and guitarist are from a now defunct band called Sieges Even if that helps any one, so I guess I need to check them out next.

Thanks for this! I had no idea their album came out.

Siege's Even's The Art of Navigating by the Stars and Paramount are both in my top 10 for the past decade, so definitely check them out.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

QPZIL posted:

But Iommi's gotta be twice his age and partied WAAAY harder for way longer

I wanna see them one more time :(

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

QPZIL posted:

Hopefully he can beat this. If it's non-Hodgkins, isn't it likely he can beat it? :D

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

QPZIL posted:

:suicide:

Poor guy. Really hope he makes it.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

thepitgoddess posted:

Hopefully he can beat this. If it's non-Hodgkins, isn't it likely he can beat it? :D

A family friend about his age, who had not partied anywhere near as hard, just died from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I hope this goes different :smith:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sabbath just cannot catch a break with cancer, can they?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know that I would agree with you there. I like the new drumming, but it makes for a very different feel to the music. Haughm is not a good drummer, I don't think he would claim to be. The drumming on most of Agalloch's stuff is very basic, not at all fluid. It helps to give a sort of cold, dead, wintermusic feeling to what they do. Aesop's drumming is much more competent, but he plays very fluidly and organically. That makes the music feel more alive. If you all will forgive the use of imagery instead of actual musical terminology, the old stuff feels like a snow-covered stone, the new stuff feels like a tree in autumn.

At first I was kind of put off by the drumming on Marrow, but it isn't bad. It's just different. Sometimes I would rather have more of the same old style, but oh well.

I would venture to say that they couldn't have pulled off the direction they took Marrow without Aesop, and his addition to the band has tightened up their live set considerably. While Haughm's drumming isn't bad, it doesn't ever compete with any other aspect of their music for the listener's attention like Aesop's work on the drumkit IMO, and hearing him hammer out songs from Pale Folklore and The Mantle is beyond loving awesome :)

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I'm slated to do an interview with Fleshgod Apocalypse in the next few weeks before their tour to South Africa in March.

Does anybody have any questions they'd like to ask?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I love when you can find a band you had never heard of and just instantly love them.

This happened to me yesterday when I discovered this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7escb2kUw

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MrBling posted:

I love when you can find a band you had never heard of and just instantly love them.

This loving rules. Thanks for that.

I got a chance to listen to the new Aborted album, and it is really good. It is leaps and bounds better than "Strychnine.213" and "Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture". It's much more melodic than their previous albums, but the formula works incredibly well.

Also, it looks like fellow goon and owner of Metal Blast is going to get the chance to interview Mark "Barney" Greenway of Napalm Death on Saturday! This is a huge get for us, and I was wondering if anybody had any questions for him.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 12, 2012

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
If anyone is a fan of crazyass fretless bass technical death metal work, check out Beyond Creation. I came across them checking out where Augury's bassist Forest went. Definitely worth a listen if you're into weird technical music.

Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA0zEIJ0jq0&feature=related

MrBling posted:

I did not know this genre of music existed, nor could I have ever predicted this band to be from Italy :stare:

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 12, 2012

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm slated to do an interview with Fleshgod Apocalypse in the next few weeks before their tour to South Africa in March.

Does anybody have any questions they'd like to ask?

I got one - can they please visit us in the Middle East (Dubai is perfect but I guess anywhere close will also do) on the way back from SA? They've got at least 2 fans here!

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Turk February posted:

This loving rules. Thanks for that.

I got a chance to listen to the new Aborted album, and it is really good. It is leaps and bounds better than "Strychnine.213" and "Slaughter & Apparatus: A Methodical Overture". It's much more melodic than their previous albums, but the formula works incredibly well.

Also, it looks like fellow goon and owner of Metal Blast is going to get the chance to interview Mark "Barney" Greenway of Napalm Death on Saturday! This is a huge get for us, and I was wondering if anybody had any questions for him.

Ask Barney what he thinks of the current UK government.

I saw Napalm Death before Christmas, and god drat they were good. Barney bounces around like someone with a direct jack into the mains electricity. I don't even like grindcore, but I'll always go and see ND.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
Submitted for your approval: Virgin Steele - Perfect Mansions.

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TheForgotton posted:

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

Virgin Steele's new song, off the album Age of Consent.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXC98py0Nok By the Hammer of Zeus (and the Wrecking Ball of Thor) (wtf?) a photo video with epic poses with swords and flames and archery in forests, but what in the gently caress is the picture at 1:40. Everything is wrong.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 12, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

TheForgotton posted:

Good god this is magnificent.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TheForgotton posted:

I wonder how long it took them to find a guitarist that was a body-double for Al Bundy.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

TheForgotton posted:

Haha this is great. You can see cars whizzing along behind them (7:16 is a good example).

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

The Capitulator posted:

I got one - can they please visit us in the Middle East (Dubai is perfect but I guess anywhere close will also do) on the way back from SA? They've got at least 2 fans here!

Believe me, I know the feeling. We've got FGA and In Flames coming here first quarter, but that's about it. Announced so far anyway, but my hopes are not high.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

TheForgotton posted:

I think we might be witnessing the grim birth of a new genre of heavy metal: Dad Metal. Metal for dads by dads.

See also: Alternate Reality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhq1uWY9wHg (though Virgin Steele is way better).

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

TheForgotton posted:

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXC98py0Nok By the Hammer of Zeus (and the Wrecking Ball of Thor) (wtf?) a photo video with epic poses with swords and flames and archery in forests, but what in the gently caress is the picture at 1:40. Everything is wrong.

I love how in both of these videos that the guy has absolutely no power to his voice. You can tell he just spoke really softly and they just turned it all the way up in the mix.

Eat your heart out, Manowar!

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Turk February posted:

I love how in both of these videos that the guy has absolutely no power to his voice. You can tell he just spoke really softly and they just turned it all the way up in the mix.

Eat your heart out, Manowar!

He used to be a pretty decent vocalist in the 80s and 90s, probably the finest aspect of this decidedly mediocre band. I'm guessing bad technique and/or poor choices in lifestyle eventually caught up to him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaggins posted:

Haha this is great. You can see cars whizzing along behind them (7:16 is a good example).

I love it, it's like they didn't want to walk more than 10 yards from their minivans so they just said gently caress it we'll film along the highway median.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

TheForgotton posted:

That ruled, but did we really need 9 minutes of that song?

Hog Fell on Me
Apr 11, 2006

The art of war is simple enough.

m-o-o-n posted:

He used to be a pretty decent vocalist in the 80s and 90s, probably the finest aspect of this decidedly mediocre band. I'm guessing bad technique and/or poor choices in lifestyle eventually caught up to him.

Human singing voice tends to degrade starting around age 30, dude's 51. Anyway, people who like cheesy Manowar stuff with a dramatic/concept bent should check out their album The House of Atreus.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Haha! I think I clicked that one first since it was a song from their new album but I dismissed it as being another lame slideshow. I had no idea how deep the rabbit hole of suck went. I think at least a quarter of the pictures are the singer in a swimming pool with a flaming sword.

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I think we might be witnessing the grim birth of a new genre of heavy metal: Dad Metal. Metal for dads by dads.

See also: Alternate Reality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhq1uWY9wHg (though Virgin Steele is way better).
Oh, for the sake of gently caress! I was expecting this big grandiose symphonic Hollywood power metal Rhapsody-alike once the the narration started. I can't say I was disappointed, as what followed was hilarious in it's own way, but talk about production values put to waste!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Alternate Reality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhq1uWY9wHg (though Virgin Steele is way better).

This is amazing. It's like the Dadmetal equivalent of Call of the Wintermoon.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

Hog Fell on Me posted:

Human singing voice tends to degrade starting around age 30, dude's 51. Anyway, people who like cheesy Manowar stuff with a dramatic/concept bent should check out their album The House of Atreus.

As incredibly cheesy as Virgin Steele is, The House of Atreus has really great songs (and a lot of really bad piano interludes). The first song I ever heard of their's was Agony and Shame and it blew me away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ljQS6Pej4

Edit: Also I can never get enough YOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWs in my music :D

Madox fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 13, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can't really get into the new Iced Earth. The new singer seems like he can do everything from sounding exactly like Barlow, Ripper, and 80s era Hetfield at will. Seriously, the guy can do everything. But the songs all come across as a showcase of him doing exactly this, and the riffing doesn't go beyond basic chugs, and then they throw in slower acoustic stuff that never goes anywhere.

I want another Something Wicked This Way Comes. Bad.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
Speaking of Virgin Steele The Marriage of Heaven and Hell parts I and II as well as Invictus are also some of the best power metal albums out there. They have had some duds though.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
I know that almost all of you don't care about Woods of Ypres, but I found a Youtube comment that makes Mr. Gold's passing suck 1,000 times more.

I found lyrics for Woods six and seven.....David was planning ahead...
Esther Gold, David's Mom

e: VVV I thought it was great, but then I've been feeling low for months. Struck many a chord with me.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 13, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hellwuzzat posted:

I know that almost all of you don't care about Woods of Ypres, but I found a Youtube comment that makes Mr. Gold's passing suck 1,000 times more.

I found lyrics for Woods six and seven.....David was planning ahead...
Esther Gold, David's Mom

:smith:

Woods 5 isn't as good as Woods 4, but I still really like them. It's such a shame.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Funny story from last night at work.

Some of the guys were on youtube looking up some manson and rob zombie music videos. "These dudes are evil as hell" on of them said. "Yeah, dude check out this band, GWAR. loving crazy." Then the other guy turned to me and was like "Hey man you listen to heavy metal, what's one of the sickest bands you know?" So I replied "type in Carving a Giant." It was awesome.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

Believe me, I know the feeling. We've got FGA and In Flames coming here first quarter, but that's about it. Announced so far anyway, but my hopes are not high.

Welp that's still like 200% better than what is coming up this year for us (exactly nothing, unless you like Kasabian). Any decent SA bands one should be aware of? I go down there once a year or so, will probably be in Joburg in December. I saw a bunch of emo-ish bands on Long Street in Cape Town last November, but nothing proper.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I haven't posted any interviews in a while...so here's one from Marissa Martinez, the coolest woman in metal.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/cretins-marissa-martinez-renaissance.html

A new cretin? Yes please. :)

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

thepitgoddess posted:

I haven't posted any interviews in a while...so here's one from Marissa Martinez, the coolest woman in metal.

http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/cretins-marissa-martinez-renaissance.html

A new cretin? Yes please. :)

Oh poo poo, awesome. I thought Cretin was over for some reason. Good to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

The Capitulator posted:

Any decent SA bands one should be aware of? I go down there once a year or so, will probably be in Joburg in December. I saw a bunch of emo-ish bands on Long Street in Cape Town last November, but nothing proper.

I was planning a big effortpost about SA metal for when a friends' band in Durban released their album, but it's apparently fallen through so I should probably go ahead and do it now. Well, on Monday when I'm back at work.

That said, the majority of the local scene is filled with metalcore poo poo, but there are some real diamonds hiding out here. Anybody interested?