Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oatgan posted:

Medusa and Evan were a couple until Medusa caught Evan hitting on Spice backstage. Medusa was scheduled to be in a match that night to determine who gets a shot at the cruiserweight title against Mona. Evan, who is on commentary, enters the ring for some reason and Medusa distracts him with her enormous breasts then hits a german suplex on Evan and pins him for the win (:psyduck:)

At the PPV they wrestle an actual match, but Spice (who came to the ring with Evan as a manager) distracts the ref and Medusa hits Evan with a low-blow then rolls him up for the pin. Then Spice becomes Medusa's manager, and her actions during this whole thing are never explained.

Didn't the Medusa/Evan relationship start up following Medusa complaining that she wasn't treated as a serious competitor due to her gender, after which she would be booked in huge mismatches against monsters where she would still put in a real effort while the commentary team mocked her for daring to want to be considered more than just tits and rear end? Then she fell in love with a male wrestler and basically became his arm-candy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't the Medusa/Evan relationship start up following Medusa complaining that she wasn't treated as a serious competitor due to her gender, after which she would be booked in huge mismatches against monsters where she would still put in a real effort while the commentary team mocked her for daring to want to be considered more than just tits and rear end? Then she fell in love with a male wrestler and basically became his arm-candy?

Yes she was in the heavyweight tournament against Ming.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes she was in the heavyweight tournament against Ming.

In literally one week she went from demanding serious competition and being forced to wrestle Chris Benoit to wearing hot pants, a tube top, and platform heels, laying across the commentary desk and talking about how sexy Evan Karagias is, and hypnotizing the ref with her breasts.

Vince Russo hates women.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

I have seen that match once and only once, and it disgusted me enough that it was one of the major reasons I started actively avoiding WCW, but tell me if I remember this right:

1. Oklahoma declares that any man - ANY man - can beat any woman, because men are naturally better then women.
2. The Women's Champ takes exception to this and challenges him to a match.
3. Oklahoma BEATS the woman, clean. In the middle of the ring.
4. The now former Champ and a couple of other women "humiliate" Oklahoma by pouring jello down his pants or something.
5. Oklahoma is STILL the Champion, and still beat the Champ clean in the middle of the ring, suggesting that his asinine and chauvinistic claim was right on the money and even a fat useless sack of poo poo could beat the very best woman wrestler on the roster.
6. My Dad dives across the room and pulls the gun out of my mouth before I can pull the trigger.
7. A shitload of therapy follows.

Really adds credence to Meltzer's constant claims that Russo hates women.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jerusalem posted:

We just watched Souled Out 1997 - the PPV that was sponsored completely by the nWo and my God it was loving terrible. This COULD have been amazing, the concept of a stable completely taking over and running their own PPV and making the WCW wrestlers the "outsiders" could have been brilliant - if it had ended with the WCW guys doing the standard nWo run-in and beating down a top nWo guy could have, I think, made for incredibly compelling television.

Instead, it was just a dull and dreary affair peppered with hugely embarrassing and boring "beauty contest" segments, a standard main event, standard nWo finish etc. Another example of the missed opportunities as WCW turned potential gold into poo poo-covered straw.

The Giant proves, much like Sting did at War Games '96 that he can take out the nWo by himself. WCW likely has a guy who knows the New World Order better than anyone being a former member and can take out several guys at once, and do the WCW wrestlers get out of their chairs to saved him? Meh.

What bugs me most about Hogan matches back in '97 is he wasn't immobile. Hogan was moving better in the ring than in years. He could go... if he wanted to. But he never did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

The Giant proves, much like Sting did at War Games '96 that he can take out the nWo by himself. WCW likely has a guy who knows the New World Order better than anyone being a former member and can take out several guys at once, and do the WCW wrestlers get out of their chairs to saved him? Meh.

What bugs me most about Hogan matches back in '97 is he wasn't immobile. Hogan was moving better in the ring than in years. He could go... if he wanted to. But he never did.

What would Hogan get out of it?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Oatgan posted:

Vince Russo hates women.

but what did Russo have against JR? The whole thing seemed very mean spirited and spiteful.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

What would Hogan get out of it?

Exactly. It's just frustrating to watch any wrestler do that.

coconono posted:

but what did Russo have against JR? The whole thing seemed very mean spirited and spiteful.

Ed Ferarra hated him.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I saw one random YouTube match of DDP wrestling Hollywood Hogan on Nitro and Hogan was transitioning holds and mat wrestling and poo poo. It was the craziest thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Oatgan posted:

Medusa and Evan were a couple until Medusa caught Evan hitting on Spice backstage. Medusa was scheduled to be in a match that night to determine who gets a shot at the cruiserweight title against Mona. Evan, who is on commentary, enters the ring for some reason and Medusa distracts him with her enormous breasts then hits a german suplex on Evan and pins him for the win (:psyduck:)

At the PPV they wrestle an actual match, but Spice (who came to the ring with Evan as a manager) distracts the ref and Medusa hits Evan with a low-blow then rolls him up for the pin. Then Spice becomes Medusa's manager, and her actions during this whole thing are never explained.

I thought the explanation was: lesbians.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Speaking of Souled Out, the rumor going around the internet back then was that the people answering the phone at Ticketmaster were playing a variation of Who's on First?

Caller: I wanted to buy tickets for Souled Out.
Operator: If this show is sold out, I can't sell you tickets.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

coconono posted:

It was mostly Ferrara and I guess they did not get along back stage. Since one respected the wrestling business and good taste and the other is :russo:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bocc Kob posted:

I saw one random YouTube match of DDP wrestling Hollywood Hogan on Nitro and Hogan was transitioning holds and mat wrestling and poo poo. It was the craziest thing.

Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCwcll5gwDQ

I kind of skimmed it and did not see much, but just randomly stopping in the middle and seeing Hogan do a flipping armbar made me stop and think "if he was able and willing to do things like this in a random match with DDP on Nitro, why did he not normally do any of this?"

Then again, given how incredibly hot the crowd is (pro-Hogan, which means it is some point in WCW history I have forgotten about), maybe this was a huge match at the time. But it still would hardly explain why Hogan did not put this much effort into his pay-per-view matches in the same era, seemingly.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
That era? Canada.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Quarex posted:

Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCwcll5gwDQ

I kind of skimmed it and did not see much, but just randomly stopping in the middle and seeing Hogan do a flipping armbar made me stop and think "if he was able and willing to do things like this in a random match with DDP on Nitro, why did he not normally do any of this?"

Then again, given how incredibly hot the crowd is (pro-Hogan, which means it is some point in WCW history I have forgotten about), maybe this was a huge match at the time. But it still would hardly explain why Hogan did not put this much effort into his pay-per-view matches in the same era, seemingly.

I don't remember it being in German, but yeah that's it. Look at Hogan wrestle like a wrestler. :aaa:

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Russo was on the way out of the WWF as Chyna was starting to get pushed as a credible competitor. Given we've established he hates women, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Medusa thing and making it stupid was kind of his smug revenge for having to push Chyna.

Exhibit B on this theory: Asya. See? It's bigger than Chyna. :downsrim:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Russo was on the way out of the WWF as Chyna was starting to get pushed as a credible competitor. Given we've established he hates women, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Medusa thing and making it stupid was kind of his smug revenge for having to push Chyna.

That is not true I am pretty sure he booked a bunch of the Jarret Chyna stuff. That showed his opinion of women. Good house keeping match

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah that angle had Russo's fingerprints all over it. Chiefly, Jeff Jarrett's involvement.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Starrcade 97 is such a terrible card. So many major stars are not on it. Scott Hall is in a manager role for Eric Bischoff, Nash doesn't have a match, Giant doesn't have a match, Savage was only added because KONNAN was injured. No Flair and no Horsemen aside from Benoit and McMichael (Benoit plays face, Mongo plays heel?) Only three belts defended. It's just poorly booked for the biggest show in your company's history.

Also, it was pretty clear in late 97 they had no idea really what they were booking from week to week. It made little sense for Savage to turn heel after everything Hogan and the nWo did to him. Ted Dibiase leaving was okay but I think that was because he was unhappy as a heel. Adding Big Bubba was one of the dumbest things they did because he was an early example of the nWo saying no to hanger-on's. Guess they lost that narrative quick (I'd say the moment they brought in Vincent they lost it).

It's so amazingly easy to assemble a better card. I always thought it would have been great to set up a Savage/Hall/Nash vs. Steiners/Mystery Partner at Starrcade, a reverse Bash 96 and have Bret Hart come out then. nWo was already building up from while Bret was still in the WWF that he was coming to the nWo so having him debut as the mystery man for WCW would have been a cool twist. It would have put him on the right foot for WCW as well.

Oh well, I'm back into fantasy booking territory again :P

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Starrcade '97 was a horrible PPV in hindsight, my 6th gade self marked the gently caress out when Sting finally won though no matter how cheap it was.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Joey Styles made that Asia is bigger than Chyna joke about Nicole Bass all the time so WCW stole that too.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's a joke thief :ninja:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Starrcade 97 is such a terrible card. So many major stars are not on it. Scott Hall is in a manager role for Eric Bischoff, Nash doesn't have a match, Giant doesn't have a match, Savage was only added because KONNAN was injured. No Flair and no Horsemen aside from Benoit and McMichael (Benoit plays face, Mongo plays heel?) Only three belts defended. It's just poorly booked for the biggest show in your company's history.

Also, it was pretty clear in late 97 they had no idea really what they were booking from week to week. It made little sense for Savage to turn heel after everything Hogan and the nWo did to him. Ted Dibiase leaving was okay but I think that was because he was unhappy as a heel. Adding Big Bubba was one of the dumbest things they did because he was an early example of the nWo saying no to hanger-on's. Guess they lost that narrative quick (I'd say the moment they brought in Vincent they lost it).

It's so amazingly easy to assemble a better card. I always thought it would have been great to set up a Savage/Hall/Nash vs. Steiners/Mystery Partner at Starrcade, a reverse Bash 96 and have Bret Hart come out then. nWo was already building up from while Bret was still in the WWF that he was coming to the nWo so having him debut as the mystery man for WCW would have been a cool twist. It would have put him on the right foot for WCW as well.

Oh well, I'm back into fantasy booking territory again :P

There is no Flair since that was the time that he decided he would rather see his junkie son then go to a WCW event.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

There is no Flair since that was the time that he decided he would rather see his junkie son then go to a WCW event.

Ah yes, I thought that was prior to this PPV.

This makes his feud with Bret at Superbrawl even worse. So much momentum coming back and ripping Bischoff apart and you have him feud with Bret Hart? The guy who is just coming in to prove he's for WCW? Good god what a mixed up feud. Always bothered me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

Ah yes, I thought that was prior to this PPV.

This makes his feud with Bret at Superbrawl even worse. So much momentum coming back and ripping Bischoff apart and you have him feud with Bret Hart? The guy who is just coming in to prove he's for WCW? Good god what a mixed up feud. Always bothered me.

Wait I was wrong that was in 1998. Ric Flair was suppose to face Curt but either an actual injury of back stage shenanigans DDP replaced him

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
From the years I watched WCW Starrcade never really had much of a special aura about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

From the years I watched WCW Starrcade never really had much of a special aura about it.

94 had a Hogan v Beefcake match! When WCW was NWA it had some amazing matches like Flair v Harvey Race, The I quit match with TA Magnum, along with being the end feuds. However, it quickly become just another PPV

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 16, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
A beefcase to go with his meat shoes.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn't that WCW's version of how it went down?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Rusty Shackelford posted:

WCW's version is he gave them no notice and because they had planned on him being at a Thunder taping they had to rewrite everything at the last minute.

Flair's version is he gave them advanced warning and was given the time off by Bischoff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Sort of. He told WCW he was going to see his junkie son wrestle, but being WCW they still had him on Thunder. He did not show up so Bishoff sued him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

Sort of. He told WCW he was going to see his junkie son wrestle, but being WCW they still had him on Thunder. He did not show up so Bishoff sued him.

To compound that, if I'm remembering correctly, they decided at the very last minute that they needed Flair on Thunder for literally no reason and no advance promotion, and chartered him a private flight.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

To compound that, if I'm remembering correctly, they decided at the very last minute that they needed Flair on Thunder for literally no reason and no advance promotion, and chartered him a private flight.

I could go read the Death of WCW but I'd have to get out of my chair to do it...I thought they wanted him to pay for the flight to Thunder out of his own pocket because I remember him saying "Would they make Hogan or Nash pay for their ticket?"

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

I could go read the Death of WCW but I'd have to get out of my chair to do it...I thought they wanted him to pay for the flight to Thunder out of his own pocket because I remember him saying "Would they make Hogan or Nash pay for their ticket?"

I wouldn't put it past them, but then again I wouldn't put it past WCW to charter a private flight to get someone like Lodi to a WCW Saturday Night. All dumb realities are equally probable when it comes to WCW.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

All dumb realities are equally probable when it comes to WCW.

The Manflurry Postulate.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

The Manflurry Postulate.

We haven't even delved into the sheer depths of my WCW Multiverse hypothesis, and we needn't go down that rabbit hole just yet. The condensed version is WCW in all universes perpetrate equally moronic missteps and all go out of business at the same moment.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

We haven't even delved into the sheer depths of my WCW Multiverse hypothesis, and we needn't go down that rabbit hole just yet. The condensed version is WCW in all universes perpetrate equally moronic missteps and all go out of business at the same moment.

I hope that in one of these universes they had used Leapin' Lanny Poffo to manage Meng in his new gimmick of Haiku Haku.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

As much as it may interfere with causality, I'd love to see the Multiverse where they put the heavyweight strap on Jerry Flynn.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

Haiku Haku.

I... can't... stop... laughing...

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

CombineThresher posted:

As much as it may interfere with causality, I'd love to see the Multiverse where they put the heavyweight strap on Jerry Flynn.

I'll say without any irony that Flynn has been one of the brightest spots in our rewatches of WCW - not that's he's actually any good at anything - and if WCW had made him World Champion I would have loved it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

I hope that in one of these universes they had used Leapin' Lanny Poffo to manage Meng in his new gimmick of Haiku Haku.

I was once a King
And was once an Islander
Now my Face breeds Fear