Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'll say without any irony that Flynn has been one of the brightest spots in our rewatches of WCW - not that's he's actually any good at anything - and if WCW had made him World Champion I would have loved it completely.

We would have so many BLOCK matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

bobkatt013 posted:

We would have so many BLOCK matches

I mean, could you imagine it - a main event scene revolving around fights in The BLOCK between champion Jerry Flynn and top contenders Tank Abbott and Meng?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Flynn, Abbott, Meng
Many Nitros, one battle
BLOCK SUPREMACY

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I mean, could you imagine it - a main event scene revolving around fights in The BLOCK between champion Jerry Flynn and top contenders Tank Abbott and Meng?

Or better, the smark rage that comes from knowing how Flynn and his buddies in the bWo (BLOCK World Order) are holding down up-and-comers like Roadblock and Al Green.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't remember it being in German, but yeah that's it. Look at Hogan wrestle like a wrestler. :aaa:

Hogan could go when he wanted to even in the 90s. He actually takes some decent bumps in his (terrible) cage match with Flair in 1994. He was able to coast along without trying for a long time. The fans ate it up anyway, and he knew it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

Or better, the smark rage that comes from knowing how Flynn and his buddies in the bWo (BLOCK World Order) are holding down up-and-comers like Roadblock and Al Green.

How is RoadBLOCK not in the blockWo?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

Who the hell is Roadblock anyway? That's a name that does not register.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

That's the whole point. Goddamn Flynn and his backroom politics.

He was some fat job guy who wore a road construction-themed singlet. I remember seeing him lose on Thunder and WCW Saturday Night a few times.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

It's okay, you don't lose any cred for not knowing who he is. THOUGH YOU BETTER OWN A BEST OF MIKE ENOS OR YOU'RE OUT OF THE KLIQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxIGXvQksjs

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

It's okay, you don't lose any cred for not knowing who he is. THOUGH YOU BETTER OWN A BEST OF MIKE ENOS OR YOU'RE OUT OF THE KLIQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxIGXvQksjs

I think you mean he's out of the BLOQ if he's not down with Enos.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

I think you mean he's out of the BLOQ if he's not down with Enos.

We need to add a French Canadian to the group if it's going to be called the BLOQ.

:quebec:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
That man literally carried a traffic barricade to the ring with him. That was his gimmick apparently - a maintenance of traffic enthusiast. Wrestling needs more of that sort of indefensibly silly gimmickry, and I'm being completely serious.

We also need another Meng. I wonder if Camacho is half the badass his father is.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wrestling needs more of that sort of indefensibly silly gimmickry, and I'm being completely serious.

Agreed. How many of us would've gotten into wrestling as kids (assuming that's when you did) without characters like Hacksaw, Koko, Junkyard Dog, George Steele, etc.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

That man literally carried a traffic barricade to the ring with him. That was his gimmick apparently - a maintenance of traffic enthusiast. Wrestling needs more of that sort of indefensibly silly gimmickry, and I'm being completely serious.

Yeah, it's one thing to believe that Duke Drosse is a part time wrestler, part time garbage man, but a guy who just really loving loves traffic iconography? That's both believable and acceptable.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

We also need another Meng. I wonder if Camacho is half the badass his father is.

I dream of one day debuting as a crazy cat lady in the WWE. My name will be Kitty, and I'll carry a different cat with me every show. Complete with a different story of how I acquired said cat 10 minutes ago.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
I'm just glad Road Block finally found new work as the live in maid on Two and a Half Men.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Little Miss RKO posted:

I dream of one day debuting as a crazy cat lady in the WWE. My name will be Kitty, and I'll carry a different cat with me every show. Complete with a different story of how I acquired said cat 10 minutes ago.

This should've been Jillian Hall's gimmick, but nooooooo facial parasite.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Little Miss RKO posted:

Your name should be Crono's Mom and all of your cats should be FCW developmental guys with their colours based on popular WWE superstars.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbiXtLrXaas

How did Roadblock of all people have such an awesome entrance theme? They couldn't have given the "not quite puro" entrance music to someone better? :psyduck:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

How did Roadblock of all people have such an awesome entrance theme? They couldn't have given the "not quite puro" entrance music to someone better? :psyduck:

Jean Paul Levesque had awesome music that did not fit his French Canadian rear end in a top hat gimmick at all. I think the wrestlers got to choose their music through a list.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Suben posted:

Because resident puro legend Dr. Death Steve Williams was paired with Oklahoma. :(

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Jean Paul Levesque had awesome music that did not fit his French Canadian rear end in a top hat gimmick at all. I think the wrestlers got to choose their music through a list.

Jericho said something about how he got to pick Generic Title Track #9.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Jericho said something about how he got to pick Generic Title Track #9.

He found out his music was also used for basketball highlights when he caught a game one night

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Suben posted:

It was completely random who got awesome music and who didn't in WCW.

This theme sounds like it should be used on a 15+ year main eventer, but no it was used and wasted on jobber Brad Armstrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJz9DG8xuMt

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Why does this guy look exactly like Bill Goldberg http://i.imgur.com/h8bUW.jpg

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

triplexpac posted:

because that's a terrible photoshop?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

looks like Duane Gilberg.

e: HEY!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Moose Bigelow posted:

I hope that in one of these universes they had used Leapin' Lanny Poffo to manage Meng in his new gimmick of Haiku Haku.
This reminds me for the first time in years of an absurdist/surrealist WCW Monday Nitro someone wrote, I imagine on ScoopThis.com back in the day, that was basically the funniest wrestling-related thing I thought I would ever see (this was before SomethingAwful, naturally). Basically half of the matches had absurd things happen in the middle, and almost all of them ended after a single vertical suplex. I am laughing now just thinking about a show where every match ends after a single vertical suplex, and the crowd goes equally wild for the finish every time.

I wish I could find this by Googling "WCW Monday Nitro absurdist surrealist vertical suplex." :(

Lone Rogue posted:

Thank you for that; seeing Goldberg casually walk out to less crowd reaction than the fat guy carrying a construction barricade is now the highlight of my afternoon.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It was completely random who got awesome music and who didn't in WCW.

I was a fan of Jerry Flynn's Boston ripoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBI4u6PPkJU - Jerry Flynn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRrOEbY3pI - Boston "Peace of Mind"

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

So true. Wrestling is entertainment, and whenever you have uninteresting personalities you can expect your audience to get bored and stop caring (see: WCW's fall. Half of their roster was boring and uninspired). Some of the most memorable wrestlers were the most bizarre. I still remember Mick Foley as Mankind, and how people who didn't even watch wreslting knew who he was- "you know, that crazy guy with the mask."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 17, 2012

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Grant DaNasty posted:

I was a fan of Jerry Flynn's Boston ripoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBI4u6PPkJU - Jerry Flynn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGRrOEbY3pI - Boston "Peace of Mind"

Ah the good ole Jimmy Hart treatment.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DAS Super! posted:

Anyone with a mullet like Flynn's was probably a Boston fan anyway. And Jimmy Hart's classic rock rip-offs are way better than the crap Jim Johnston's been putting out over the past 7 years or so. Even the TNA music guy is better than Johnston at this point.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Counterpoint: TNA Guy and Jimmy Hart didn't make Smoke & Mirrors.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

404GoonNotFound posted:

Counterpoint: TNA Guy and Jimmy Hart didn't make Smoke & Mirrors.

Counter-counterpoint: Jimmy Hart made Raven's AWESOME theme music when he was in WCW, and Dusty Rhodes' WWF music, and "Girls In Cars."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I work in video post-production, so i do a lot of music searches... nothing better than when you accidentally play someones entrance music on a site. Makes me think a lot of those themes were picked based on the price alone.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

I work in video post-production, so i do a lot of music searches... nothing better than when you accidentally play someones entrance music on a site. Makes me think a lot of those themes were picked based on the price alone.

It's just like how any company that cannot afford a good graphic designer or photographer rapes Imagestock.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DAS Super! posted:

Jimmy Hart as in that Jimmy Hart, right? The loud mouth of the south?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, he did a lot of music back during the '80s in the WWF and in WCW in the '90s (the stuff that wasn't production/stock music anyway) and especially in WCW his themes are pretty notorious for basically just being reworked versions of actual songs i.e. DDP's theme being "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

crankdatbatman posted:

yeah. Dude has a ton of writing credits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hart#Music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Suben posted:

Yeah, he did a lot of music back during the '80s in the WWF and in WCW in the '90s (the stuff that wasn't production/stock music anyway) and especially in WCW his themes are pretty notorious for basically just being reworked versions of actual songs i.e. DDP's theme being "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Ravens is a rip off of Come out and play