Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Miching Mallecho posted:

You're not kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvE4NCcTNM

:stare: God drat.
What a puny little runt.
And this is the guy who made death threats to Benoit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I posted:

What a puny little runt.
And this is the guy who made death threats to Benoit?

I think Benoit proved you really don't need to be a huge guy to be dangerous

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Oatgan posted:

What time is Souled Out 2000 tonight? :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What time is Souled Out 2000 tonight? :)

We are not watching it, but we are watching a Thunder tomorrow.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

bobkatt013 posted:

We are not watching it, but we are watching a Thunder tomorrow.

Either way, we lose.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

Austin was right not to do that with no build on a throwaway raw.

Exactly. He wanted to do a long term program with Brock and only got to do it right before Lesnar had left and he was out of active competition.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oatgan posted:

Benoit had muscles!
Mikey's got a permed mullet!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

I posted:

Mikey's got a permed mullet!

He looks like Joey Silvera.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Jarrett/Austin thing was talked about on THE BOARD about a month ago. Figured I'd post Dave's response in the thread here:

dave posted:

Amazing how the Jarrett story has been twisted.

Austin had told Vince months earlier he didn't want to work with Jarrett. Said he wasn't main event talent and Vince agreed. Russo then booked Austin to stun Jeff on a few TV shows for no reason.

Then Russo booked a program and came to Austin, Austin said that you know full well I'm not working with him. Russo said that you stunned him twice, he deserves something. It went to Vince and JR who both told Russo that you knew going in there wasn't going to be an Austin vs. Jarrett program.

Yeah Austin refused. But Vince and JR, who were both above Russo, had not only agreed with him, but agreed with him before Russo ever wrote the program in the first place. Russo tried to sneak something in for his buddy.

That's very different from Hogan vs. Bret Hart.

When those things were happening I was in the loop on all of it and it wasn't really the slightest bit controversial at the top level. Russo and Jarrett made it by complaining about it but this wasn't some big I refuse to do a job deal. Not that such things didn't exist.

Plus, the idea of Austin vs. Jarrett as a program then would have taken the edge of Austin because Jarrett wasn't a main event money player at the time. And I like Jarrett, but he just wasn't then. Austin's grudge against him from Memphis may have played a part in it but when it comes to business at the time, some grudge from Memphis never played a factor in the decision. It was that Austin felt Jarrett wasn't at that level, Vince & Jr agreed, Russo tried to backdoor it by saying Austin owed him for the stunners he wrote in, and everyone saw through Russo and told him no dice.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 23, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Since this thread is sort of a generic 90s/Monday night wars type of thing.....I've long heard that Austin became very "hoganesque" later in his career. I know the jj thing was just talked about, but are there any other famous Austin stories like that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Since this thread is sort of a generic 90s/Monday night wars type of thing.....I've long heard that Austin became very "hoganesque" later in his career. I know the jj thing was just talked about, but are there any other famous Austin stories like that?

No the only other people he refused to fued with was Owen Hard for obvious reasons and Brock as he wanted to have a feud not just one match on free tv.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bobkatt013 posted:

No the only other people he refused to fued with was Owen Hard for obvious reasons

Well, wrestling a dead body would be in bad taste.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Red posted:

Well, wrestling a dead body would be in bad taste.

I mean in his entire career. He refused to feud with him due to the Summerslam accident.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean in his entire career. He refused to feud with him due to the Summerslam accident.

And even then, it wasn't really because of the injury, but how Owen handled it. He never apologized, or even called to check on Austin when he was on the shelf. Right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Q_res posted:

And even then, it wasn't really because of the injury, but how Owen handled it. He never apologized, or even called to check on Austin when he was on the shelf. Right?

I believe that was the case

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

bobkatt013 posted:

That seems really out of character for Owen. I wonder what his issue was.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

CombineThresher posted:

That seems really out of character for Owen. I wonder what his issue was.

Maybe some part of him was convinced Austin was the one who botched it? I really can't think of a good reason. I know Austin really didn't want to take the move because he wasn't confident with it, so maybe Owen thought his hesitation to trust him was the problem?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is strange because everyone said Owen was one of the few upstanding people in the business. Unless that talk is all post death fluff. Was it a misunderstanding or is there something else they had heat over?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Maybe it's post-match courtesy to check on the guy you were working with, and Owen was probably upset/scared/stressed out, and didn't go to look in on him, and Austin held a grudge.

Foley had a thing with Rock for a while for the same reason, although who knows why Rock didn't check on him after the Royal Rumble 1999 'I Quit' match.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

maniacripper posted:

Which is strange because everyone said Owen was one of the few upstanding people in the business. Unless that talk is all post death fluff. Was it a misunderstanding or is there something else they had heat over?

Bret spoke about it on a recent WWE DVD saying that he was disappointed with how Owen handled the whole situation. So I'm assuming if Bret of all people felt that way then most of the blame for it has to be placed on Owen.

I heard that Martha Hart wrote in her book that Owen thought Austin might be faking or playing the injury up to be worse than it was. But I don't believe that for a second.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Red posted:

Maybe it's post-match courtesy to check on the guy you were working with, and Owen was probably upset/scared/stressed out, and didn't go to look in on him, and Austin held a grudge.

Foley had a thing with Rock for a while for the same reason, although who knows why Rock didn't check on him after the Royal Rumble 1999 'I Quit' match.

I thought Rock did check on Foley but for a long time Foley thought otherwise because his brain was so scrambled after the match he couldn't remember it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Austin's thing wasn't that he was Hoganesque, trying to protect a spot. Austin's thing was he was loving smarter than the people involved with taking care of his career. If Austin had any inclination to be a booker he'd be pretty loving amazing.

The only guys known for Austin to reject in a feud are Jarrett, Owen, Billy Bitchcakes and rejected losing to Brock Lesnar in a KOTR qualifier. He had a very good reason for all of them.

Guys reject other guys for programs all of the time, and while most of the reasons are self absorbed, sometimes there are pretty good reasons. The best reason for me is, "When I was nobody that guy was a piece of poo poo to me, and now I can make a guy money by just feuding with me, I don't want to work with him." That's what HBK was to Rock and what Jarrett was to Austin.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Lone Rogue posted:

"When I was nobody that guy was a piece of poo poo to me, and now I can make a guy money by just feuding with me, I don't want to work with him." That's what HBK was to Rock

What's this now?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Red posted:

What's this now?

HBK was a dick to Rocky before he was big. So once he did blow up he refused to work with Shawn.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Deadpool posted:

HBK was a dick to Rocky before he was big. So once he did blow up he refused to work with Shawn.

Huh. Interesting. A quick Google reveals:

Wrestling Observer Newsletter posted:

It's worth noting that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Shawn Michaels, who long harbored animosity towards each other, crossed paths during WrestleMania weekend. WWE.com published a photo (link) of Johnson and Michaels sharing a laugh shortly after HBK had appeared on stage at WrestleMania XXVII to commemorate his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. According to a source, their past animosity was actually settled in 2008 when Johnson inducted his father, Rocky Johnson, and grandfather, High Chief Peter Maivia, into the WWE Hall of Fame.
Johnson's issues with Michaels dated back to when he was a teenager. He long harbored animosity towards Michaels because he felt he was disrespectful to his maternal grandmother (Lia Maivia) at a wrestling show she was coordinating for Polynesian Pacific Pro Wrestling. His disrespect towards her incensed Johnson, and nearly led to an altercation.

Their issues persisted several years later when Johnson was a rookie starting out in WWE. Bret Hart wrote in his 2007 autobiography, Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling, that Michaels and Triple H disliked Johnson "intensely." Both resented him because he was talented and Hart, a political foe, had taken a shine to him. Many believe they were out to sabotage Johnson so that Hunter would ascend to the top before him, since they were both viewed as the future of the company at the time.

Michaels and Hunter conspired to obstruct Johnson's push in March 1997, who was the Intercontinental Champion at the time. Michaels suggested to Vince McMahon that Johnson lose the title to Hart on an episode of RAW. Meanwhile, Hunter insisted to Hart that he beat Johnson. Their suggestion would serve two purposes — sabotage Johnson's push and take Hart out of the world title scene. Hart, however, refused to beat Johnson. Hart felt it wouldn't build heat for his newly launched heel turn, not to mention that it would undermine Johnson. Instead, Hart insisted on a DQ finish, which infuriated Michaels and Hunter.

By 1999, Johnson had ascended to the top of WWE, going beyond nearly wrestler, including Hunter. Meanwhile, a back injury had forced Michaels to retire and he was relegated to sporadic appearances. Nonetheless, Michaels attempted to politically undermine Johnson by lobbying to McMahon that he be replaced by Hunter in the main event at WrestleMania XV. His suggestion fell on deaf ears.

Johnson stated years later in a 2005 interview with WWE.com that he never had interest in working with Michaels — when asked if he would have liked to.

I'm not sure what "going beyond nearly wrestler, including Hunter" means, but neat.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Red posted:

I'm not sure what "going beyond nearly wrestler, including Hunter" means, but neat.

It means Rock was pretty much a bigger star than anyone else in the business, including the guy HBK was lobbying for.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Red posted:

Imagine if those two conniving sacks of poo poo would have succeed. It makes Rocky look all the more awesome ascending to the top of the world in spite of these two dip shits efforts to bury him. While everything Triple H has ever accomplished will always be tarnished because before he started politicking and marrying the bosses daughter he was just a random rear end in a top hat named Terra Ryzing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

I thought Rock did check on Foley but for a long time Foley thought otherwise because his brain was so scrambled after the match he couldn't remember it?
There's footage of him coming to Foley and thanking him for the match in Beyond The Mat, so I have always figured that Foley forgot.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red posted:

"Going beyond nearly every wrestler." Typo from a hand-made c/p or just Dave with bad grammar.

Anyway, the only part of this that doesn't add up to me is that Rock worked with Triple H extensively.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"Going beyond nearly every wrestler." Typo from a hand-made c/p or just Dave with bad grammar.

Anyway, the only part of this that doesn't add up to me is that Rock worked with Triple H extensively.
The Rock probably didn't have the influence back then to refuse to work with a guy who was more or less on his level.

His last PPV match with HHH was December 2000 in the 6 man cell so maybe he did basically refuse to work with him once he got huge.
His last TV match with HHH was in early 2002 so he never worked with either once Shawn returned.

e: Typed 1999 instead of 2000, sorry.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 23, 2012

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Rock probably didn't have the influence back then to refuse to work with a guy who was more or less on his level.

His last PPV match with HHH was December 1999 in the 6 man cell so maybe he did basically refuse to work with him once he got huge.
His last TV match with HHH was in early 2002 so he never worked with either once Shawn returned.

What about Judgment Day 2000?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The 6 man cell was in 2000. So it would be after Judgement day

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Keep in mind that Foley wrote was telling people at that same time that the Rock didn't have it and they should just cut their losses and get rid of him, according to his book.

At the time it didn't look like the Rock had it. And he was in a feud with HHH and won it beating him for his IC title. Can't really blame HHH and HBK for thinking Rocky's push should be stopped. Remember, that push bombed.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lone Rogue posted:

The only guys known for Austin to reject in a feud are Jarrett, Owen, Billy Bitchcakes and rejected losing to Brock Lesnar in a KOTR qualifier. He had a very good reason for all of them.

Didn't they also ask him to job to Coachman at one of those fan voting PPVs? The one where they went with Batista instead when Austin pulled out...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Saul Goode posted:

Didn't they also ask him to job to Coachman at one of those fan voting PPVs? The one where they went with Batista instead when Austin pulled out...

Yeah. I voted so hard for a verbal debate....

Souled Out 1997 was a bad PPV. Watching Superbrawl now. Much better show.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Saul Goode posted:

Taboo Tuesday 2005, yeah. They were gonna have Austin lose to Coachman, apparently after Mark Henry ran in.

But Austin balked at the idea, and they switched to Batista against Coachman, with Coach's backup - Goldust, and a very fat Vader. It led to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoF6nZpyhq8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Taboo Tuesday 2005, yeah. They were gonna have Austin lose to Coachman, apparently after Mark Henry ran in.

But Austin balked at the idea, and they switched to Batista against Coachman, with Coach's backup - Goldust, and a very fat Vader. It led to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoF6nZpyhq8

It also led to them cancelling a Vader DVD

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Saul Goode posted:

Austin also refused to work with Scott Hall at Wrestlemania, if I remember right.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Psychlone posted:

Austin also refused to work with Scott Hall at Wrestlemania, if I remember right.

At that point who would work with Scott Hall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Psychlone posted:

I believe he refused to lose to him. I think the original plan was for Nash to interfere and cost Austin the match but Austin said that Hall was in no condition for a long term feud and they might as well end it there.

You know, Austin once again being smarter than the people employing him.

That's the difference between Austin and Hogan. Hogan refused jobs to keep his spot. Austin refused jobs because it would have been stupid.