Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Once again Delven mud makes everything look better

Wait..... *looks at barrel* FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

*SMASHES STUFF ON WALL* ARRRRGGGHHHH

Same firefly as before:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Flipswitch posted:

Quick little WIP shot of my trusty little ORC Trooper, with another three of these to paint, the armour is a light Fortress Grey which I'm still applying across the miniature. I need to reapply some of the shadows, especially along the back and get sorted on some highlights, the secondary parts (such as power cables) are going to be in a base coat of Shadow Grey.

Bit unsure what to do for the weapon, I know it's a bit much to ask at this stage, but for the weapon itself, I'm thinking of doing a pale grey, inking the shadows in and highlighting with metallics to make it look chipped.

Any suggestions there?

Catchan Green that bad boy.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bhyo posted:

Dark naval grey.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

malal posted:

@ UnsubRedun: Looking great for a first sculpt! Cloth is really hard and you did a great job on it. My only suggestion would be a deeper crease at the neckline.

Thanks! I'll see if I can fake it with some more shadowing, if not I'll look into applying some more greenstuff or shaving some off.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Man, I wish I could paint. I really need to start blending.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Camera has done me justice there, I just washed it with badab like the bastard that I am, I'm relaying over it to get the tones/shades that I want. I'll end up re-shadowing parts of it no doubt as I make mistakes. Plus, painting is a skill like any other, I'm a firm believer of that.

Bhyo posted:

Pierzak posted:

Dark naval grey.
Sorry guys, for the rifle itself do you mean here? For reference I am leaning towards making it blue to follow the eyes and the scopes detail, which will be for the body of the weapon. The magazine, sight and barrel will be metallic. I plan to add the chip effects onto the other parts possibly.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 24, 2012

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I painteded a bike. Also, gently caress bikes.

Also this guy. I think I already posted him, but gently caress you.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Sons of Anorky up in here. Looking good so far!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
It started out innocently enough. A server at a 24 hour diner that my friends and I visit every week, asking if we had heard of a game called Warhammer 40K. Sure, we said. Used to play all the time, had huge armies collecting dust for the past couple years though. He had just started the hobby and hadn't yet even played his first game. His enthusiasm was... infectious. One game couldn't hurt.

Over two years on the wagon, only 20 minutes to fall off.

:gonk:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Decided to paint some thing more organic.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

BlackIronHeart posted:

It started out innocently enough. A server at a 24 hour diner that my friends and I visit every week, asking if we had heard of a game called Warhammer 40K. Sure, we said. Used to play all the time, had huge armies collecting dust for the past couple years though. He had just started the hobby and hadn't yet even played his first game. His enthusiasm was... infectious. One game couldn't hurt.

Over two years on the wagon, only 20 minutes to fall off.

:gonk:

I got pulled into the hobby when I worked at a comic/collectable store. The drat owner actually did the "your first taste is free." He said all I needed to play was a box set of marines, a commander, and a Dreadnought. He then bought them for me. I still remember cutting my hands trying to free my thirty marines, glueing the chainsaw attachments to my fingers instead of the gun barrels, and painting them with "Poly S" paints.

He explained I would not have to buy any of the books, he ahd everything we needed to play. (Rouge Trader, Lost and the Damned, Slaves to Darkness, 'Ere We Go, the compendium, and the compilation.) When I first played him, I noticed he had blades attached to the arm of his dreadnought. I inquired about them, and he explained that "They don't do anything in game, they just look cool. its called a conversion."

He opened the different books, and showed me how others had modified their miniatures. I swear, something snapped free in my brain and ran around in it that day, and has never come back home to roost. I remember staring at the artwork for hours, seeing the possibilities opened up by John Blanche, Adrian Smith, Jess Goodwin. I became obsessed with an art book called"Ratspike," and the illustrations in "ere we Go" and the chaos books. I swear, all I've ever wanted to do is bring one of the insane Adrian Smith pencil drawings to life. If I don't work on models (or other artwork) that thing in my brain starts to gnaw and chew through all my happy thoughts.

I've left the game many, many times. I've never lasted more then two years, even once after selling EVERYTHING. I've painted and sold countless armies, in both 40k and Fantasy. (not to mention Warmachine, Hordes, Chronopia, VOR, Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Battlefleet Gothic, Gorka-Morka, Inquisitor, and every other game to strike my fancy.)

Even with me selling everything but Orks for 40k and Skaven for fantasy, the urge to keep building and painting never goes away. I have 10,000 points of PAINTED skaven, over eight hundred models for that army alone. And God help me, if I want a unit or two of EVERY NEW MODEL they recently came out with in the newest edition and I don't even PLAY Fantasy right now.

There is no escape, no respite, only war, and the hundreds of hours that go into making it look cool.

Also, I feed and water my son from time, date, work occasionally, and eat right. but mostly war.

To that end,I started working on a Dragster Battlewagon for my evil sunz!

EDIT: drat Kommando, that looks stunning! so natural.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Is that the old plastic battlewagon, or the old Armorcast resin one?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
My first ever painted models. Metal looks like poo poo and close up it makes me want to vomit because the camera makes it look like I used finger paints

edit: holy poo poo those are large

I'll fix them later

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 24, 2012

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Just started painting up some Tau dudes because A) They look really cool, and B) I guess I want to lose games...?

They're really rough, I'm finding it hard to transition straight from doing Space Wolves forever to doing these little fellas. Been trying to stay away from the bright and shiny look, and make 'em all dirty and lovely. What are some things I could try to make them look better?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I love how my Long Riders are turning out. I just hit the Long Riders, Horthol, and my three light warbeasts with a brown oil wash.

When I was done, I mixed in some burnt sienna pigment and tried a rusty brown wash on the T-1000 Slag Troll.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Silhouette posted:

Is that the old plastic battlewagon, or the old Armorcast resin one?

It's an old plastic one, the Armorcast model has a different engine. I'm missing a lot of pieces to this one hence the conversion.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Devlan mud's scent bothers me. It is so immensely strong. There is a scent of Devlan mud in my bathroom now since I was smart enough to pour out the water I used for my brushes down the sink.

Oops?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Has anyone assembled a Mortis Engine/Coven Throne yet? I'm wondering if it is possible to assemble it in a way that you can switch between the two.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Game's over kids. PV just won at the Internet.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seriously look at that fukken brandy alligator back there lolllll

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Fyrbrand posted:

Seriously look at that fukken brandy alligator back there lolllll

God, those are the best.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Theyre painted by mod_Faultie from the PP forums, the thread is amazing.

e: lol the boneswarm has derby hats

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I mean seriously - that is just ridiculous good.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

I wonder if he made that top hat outta greenstuff or if he got it from something else.

My Terminus needs a tophat...

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pretty sure he sculpted everything himself. The project log is here

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow, I've seen the sculpts before but not the painted models. They came out really well.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Here's my wrastler.

I wish he had a hat.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bavius posted:

Here's my wrastler.

I wish he had a hat.

He has a luchadore mask, that's arguably better.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Those are some drat dapper alligators

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
The manager at my flgs sold me on gators by pointing out the mask. I've got another one to paint up now.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I started painting on December 23ed. I think I have a problem. :ohdear:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I see pictures every now and then of guys getting pieces ready for priming or spray painting by putting them on sticks. What's the best way to do this? Just use sticky tack on one end of the stick and hope it holds the part in place?

I want to prime and spray paint some storm shield arms before attaching them to the body and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I just use regular CA glue with spray accelerant so they're easier to snap off later.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Naramyth posted:

Looks more to me like you've got a solution.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Prefect Six posted:

I see pictures every now and then of guys getting pieces ready for priming or spray painting by putting them on sticks. What's the best way to do this? Just use sticky tack on one end of the stick and hope it holds the part in place?

I want to prime and spray paint some storm shield arms before attaching them to the body and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Im never sure how people get them on the sticks but frequently I will use empty pill bottles, and I use hot glue to glue the base down on it. Peels off pretty easily later.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
So I put like 4 hours into a croak hunter yesterday, had him looking mighty fine. I always wait overnight to let the paint set up before I brush on Model Masters Flat Clear Acryl. Started brushing and the poo poo just grabs the enchanted blue highlights on the model and spreads it over the entire goddamn fig. Yes I should have been paying attention rather then watching trailer park boys on netflix but goddamn it. The feeling of defeat is all encompassing.

Anyway, is it bad paint? I don't think it was the brush. I was using a soft bristled windsor. Could it have been the layer underneath? It was regal blue which always dries pretty shiny and smooth. Ugh. Into the simple green you go hombre.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Naramyth posted:

Someone buy this man a bag of sand so he can finish his awesome army.

Prefect Six posted:

Drill into the arm and put the toothpick in like a pin.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

So I put like 4 hours into a croak hunter yesterday, had him looking mighty fine. I always wait overnight to let the paint set up before I brush on Model Masters Flat Clear Acryl. Started brushing and the poo poo just grabs the enchanted blue highlights on the model and spreads it over the entire goddamn fig. Yes I should have been paying attention rather then watching trailer park boys on netflix but goddamn it. The feeling of defeat is all encompassing.

Anyway, is it bad paint? I don't think it was the brush. I was using a soft bristled windsor. Could it have been the layer underneath? It was regal blue which always dries pretty shiny and smooth. Ugh. Into the simple green you go hombre.

If it was overnight it definitely wasn't the paint. Was it the same brush you had used for the highlights? If so you probably got some paint and varnish mixed in the brush and so brushed blue paint plus varnish all over the model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Someone buy this man a bag of sand so he can finish his awesome army.

Drill into the arm and put the toothpick in like a pin.

Alternatively, attach some masking tape to a piece of cardboard sticky-side-up. Put your fiddly bits down on that, spray prime and spray paint them. Get a new peice of masking tape, and do the other side of the fiddly bits (after the first side has dried).

• Locked thread