Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Naramyth posted:

I started painting on December 23ed. I think I have a problem. :ohdear:

Looks great! Wish I had that motivation, oh and do your drat bases :P It will make them look 10 times better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

So I put like 4 hours into a croak hunter yesterday, had him looking mighty fine. I always wait overnight to let the paint set up before I brush on Model Masters Flat Clear Acryl. Started brushing and the poo poo just grabs the enchanted blue highlights on the model and spreads it over the entire goddamn fig. Yes I should have been paying attention rather then watching trailer park boys on netflix but goddamn it. The feeling of defeat is all encompassing.

Anyway, is it bad paint? I don't think it was the brush. I was using a soft bristled windsor. Could it have been the layer underneath? It was regal blue which always dries pretty shiny and smooth. Ugh. Into the simple green you go hombre.

It's the Acryl. I have a bottle too and it did the same thing to me a few years ago. I haven't touched it since.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

LumberingTroll posted:

Looks great! Wish I had that motivation, oh and do your drat bases :P It will make them look 10 times better!

Daww. :3:

I have some green and OD green flecking but I don't really like it. I think I am going to have to get some sand and see how it goes.

Also as this was initially inspired by X-Com I'd like to paint up some psychic power armor dudes to go along with them(Grey Knights) Think they would look good in this color scheme?

Also more fotos

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I started painting on December 23ed.
What.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
It certainly looks like a one month paintjob. Still a nice job though on volume alone.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Naramyth posted:

Daww. :3:

I have some green and OD green flecking but I don't really like it. I think I am going to have to get some sand and see how it goes.

Also as this was initially inspired by X-Com I'd like to paint up some psychic power armor dudes to go along with them(Grey Knights) Think they would look good in this color scheme?

Also more fotos

Give them desert basing with random buts if bushes and grass, they will look sweet as hell.

This vid is about 15mm but he bases his stuff with desert theme, watch the last but to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYPkK7B70ew&feature=player_detailpage

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Dominion posted:

If it was overnight it definitely wasn't the paint. Was it the same brush you had used for the highlights? If so you probably got some paint and varnish mixed in the brush and so brushed blue paint plus varnish all over the model.

Nah it's a brush I just use for varnish.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

LumberingTroll posted:

Give them desert basing with random buts if bushes and grass, they will look sweet as hell.

This vid is about 15mm but he bases his stuff with desert theme, watch the last but to see what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYPkK7B70ew&feature=player_detailpage

Awesome. Gonna get my base on.

Chet AwesomeLaser
Sep 11, 2004

9 out 10 dentists agree...
More work on my Battlewagon, I still have some panels on the front and the bed in back to finish and a whole buttload of rivets to paint.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Yes you have. Drill your barrels.

Wish I had your patience, I prefer quality over quantity and any larger force stays unpainted.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Yes you have. Drill your barrels.

Wish I had your patience, I prefer quality over quantity and any larger force stays unpainted.

Table quality minis for my weekly games is good enough for me when I am talking over 100 models. I'd rather have 100 ok painted models with an easy color scheme then 20 or 30 awesome/complicated models and 70 dudes just primed. :shobon:

Maybe I'll take more care with some Grey Knights. But then maybe gently caress that I have warhams to play. :dota101:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I like your color choice, very simple but desert Cadians look good.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Torabi posted:

Devlan mud's scent bothers me. It is so immensely strong. There is a scent of Devlan mud in my bathroom now since I was smart enough to pour out the water I used for my brushes down the sink.

Oops?

It smells like someone blowtorched vomit.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Here's a couple of simple questions. I'm making some custom bases to fit multiple Night Goblins, and some simple terrain pieces (sometimes together). As a material for the base itself, would plasticard be best, or could I use balsa wood?

Also, what's a good way to build up the ground on them...How can I explain this...

I need to build up the dirt and rocks, as some of what I'm envisioning will be quite high. Like building smaller hills for terrain. Given that I haven't even made hills, I'm not sure what method to use.

I'm thinking that I can make the basic shape I'm going for with the foam, just a bit smaller, and then build onto that with turf, rocks/ballast, and flock? I'm not sure how this will work on such a smaller size. This will be a base with a modal cound of about a 6x6 or 8x8 20mm.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Recursive Expanse posted:

Here's a couple of simple questions. I'm making some custom bases to fit multiple Night Goblins, and some simple terrain pieces (sometimes together). As a material for the base itself, would plasticard be best, or could I use balsa wood?

Also, what's a good way to build up the ground on them...How can I explain this...

I need to build up the dirt and rocks, as some of what I'm envisioning will be quite high. Like building smaller hills for terrain. Given that I haven't even made hills, I'm not sure what method to use.

I'm thinking that I can make the basic shape I'm going for with the foam, just a bit smaller, and then build onto that with turf, rocks/ballast, and flock? I'm not sure how this will work on such a smaller size. This will be a base with a modal cound of about a 6x6 or 8x8 20mm.

MDF or hardboard would be the best thing to use for the base itself. Balsa wood warps and splinters. You can use cork as rocks/rubble, as well.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Awesome. Gonna get my base on.

I really like the sand camo scheme, a bit of modelling sand, brown ink and Bronzed flesh drybrush would look great for them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kommando posted:

Bronzed flesh drybrush would look great for them.

I use Bronzed Flesh all the time but realized the other day I would never use it for flesh.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey dudes post up some cool pics of Empire armies painted up. It is for a secret project of mine. :pwn:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's not really a secret that you posted about bying an Empire army in the Fantasy thread :ssh:.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jcam posted:

Just started painting up some Tau dudes because A) They look really cool, and B) I guess I want to lose games...?

They're really rough, I'm finding it hard to transition straight from doing Space Wolves forever to doing these little fellas. Been trying to stay away from the bright and shiny look, and make 'em all dirty and lovely. What are some things I could try to make them look better?

Nice scheme you got going there. I agree that the battleworn look is more awesome than the bright, pristine colour schemes, but most hams don't go that way for whatever reason.

The FWs look good, there's nothing major I'd change there, (maybe lose the yellow stripes on the rifles?) some more light on the pics might help.

As for the battlesuit, I'd say you need to add some of whatever colour it is you're using for the FW armour to some of the panels to break up the browness.

Also, more pictures please.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 24, 2012

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Naramyth posted:

You're a dick (I have painted 10 models in this time)

Also, that army looks cool.

PaintVagrant posted:

These might just be perfect.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
First figures ever I painted and I can already see a million things wrong with this bad barney pair. Going to redo the horns black, redo the metal collars, and paint the belts black. I am also going to consider going over the non-Sagat-scarred one with a different skin color. Maybe Hulk like LCB in the last image in this post.

The grey splotches on the bottom is the rocks they are perched on.

I did the eye glow wrong. Also you can see the weirdest nipples ever I didn't realize the guy had until he was done.

Going back to redo that tail area, the buckles (which I just drybrushed with a metal paint), and wash the collar more.

I am starting to paint this silly ol' bear and wanted his fur to be baby blue but turned out ultramarine with tons of white is still ultramarine.

I think I am still going with the color but would like to know anyone who has some advice on how to paint "fake" fur. Teddy is something that was stitched up and not alive.

I was thinking dry brush with a turquiose+off white to highlight the fur a bit, put some ultramarine+black wash into the deep recesses (doing this bear took about 6 drop of paint to get into all those nooks and crannies for the base) and then highlight again with the same turqoise+off white with some semigloss added.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
A couple of things for all you interesting people in this thread:

As some of you may remember, I did the three-color prime on these Grey Knights, but being painted with silver, the worry would be that the highlights of the primer wouldn't show through. Thankfully, airbrushed on they show through wonderfully. Gun is a little dark on them, but I like that rich silver, and it will help to contrast to the actual paint I'll be putting down. A couple of zenith passes of Steel over Gun finished the job--I'll post pictures once I get them glossed for the next step.

Additionally, I picked up a wet palette from a Blick Art Supply. It's reusable, and at $10 bucks it seemed like a good deal. I'll keep you all posted on how well it works.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sole.Sushi posted:

As some of you may remember, I did the three-color prime on these Grey Knights, but being painted with silver, the worry would be that the highlights of the primer wouldn't show through. Thankfully, airbrushed on they show through wonderfully. Gun is a little dark on them, but I like that rich silver, and it will help to contrast to the actual paint I'll be putting down. A couple of zenith passes of Steel over Gun finished the job--I'll post pictures once I get them glossed for the next step.

Additionally, I picked up a wet palette from a Blick Art Supply. It's reusable, and at $10 bucks it seemed like a good deal. I'll keep you all posted on how well it works.

I have the P3 wet pallette and honestly I think I prefer my homemade tupperware and paper towels one.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dishwasherlove posted:

It's not really a secret that you posted about bying an Empire army in the Fantasy thread :ssh:.

Hoisted by my own petard. :negative:

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Sole.Sushi posted:

Nice to hear it. Im still waiting on my paint to come in. My airbrush got here a few days ago. what colors did you prime with?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Drumstick posted:

Nice to hear it. Im still waiting on my paint to come in. My airbrush got here a few days ago. what colors did you prime with?

Duplicolor Sandable Auto-Body Primer.
Starting with black base coat all over, then a 45 degree spray of gray (which is hard to see on the black sadly, but the effect is readily apparent), followed by a strict, directly-above zenith spray of white. I went heavy with this to compensate for the lack of gray showing up on the black (which is fortunate as it made the gray stand out more).

After that, basecoat in several thin passes of Vallejo Gun, then a strict zenith highlight of Steel in thin passes, making sure to not go too heavy.
EDIT: PSI was set to just below 20 PSI to ensure control with the basecoat.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 25, 2012

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I've been airbrush priming with a mix of 2ccs windex, 2ccs water, 4 ccs gesso, and enough drops of black to make it grey. At about 5psi, it comes out fine, but any higher and it gets spotty. Should I switch to a "real" airbrushable primer?

Edit: VVV Oh, then I guess the question is- is there such a thing as a "real" airbrushable primer, or should I stick with what I'm doing?

Dagon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 25, 2012

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I'm still using Rattlecans. :v: The PSI I mentioned was for the paint itself rather than the primer.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
Vallejo makes a grey airbrush primer.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dominion posted:

I have the P3 wet pallette and honestly I think I prefer my homemade tupperware and paper towels one.

I use a cheap thanksgiving plastic plate, 2 layers of paper towel, and some parchment paper.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I've been using Vallejo's surface primer. I bought all three colors to see which one I preferred. The white is glorious. I tried priming with white rattle cans and those never turned out very well. If you have an airbrush, try to find this stuff. If anyone is interested I'll post where I bought mine.

I'm actually trying to get a handle on preshading. So far my efforts don't produce very good results, but I am playing around with PSI, thinning and such. I'll nail it eventually, probably on the last vehicle I turn out.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey dudes post up some cool pics of Empire armies painted up. It is for a secret project of mine. :pwn:

You asked for it.

And another 10 spearmen coming soon to fill out the existing regiment.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Well gently caress, and here I didn't like Fantasy.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That's a beautiful army and you should be proud. Also you need a Steam Tank.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
welp i just finished washing some 40 odd clanrats ive had sitting around half painted for god knows how long, and won a $26 tactical squad on ebay :woop: (gently caress you aus gw $60 my power armoured rear end). i should finish the last 3 or so clanrats and start painting bases i suppose once these dry, not painted to any great standard but that's the only way i'm ever going to get a relatively finished skaven army, in it's second decade it really does need to be finished i think.

got my eyes on more ebay things, i'm gonna paint me a bunch of salamanders real quick with an airbrush but i promise ill keep painting piles of slaves.. yes :(

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Backno posted:

I use a cheap thanksgiving plastic plate, 2 layers of paper towel, and some parchment paper.

How do you keep it from getting moldy? Do you toss it every few days and start over? I am a lazy gently caress and I cant do that.

It was suggested that I add a touch of vinegar but it made my paint act weird. Made it turn chunky and gloppy.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Kommando posted:

It smells like someone blowtorched vomit.

I had my wife smell the devlan mud wash I was using. She said it smelled like toes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This is the best I can do until I build a bigger lightbox and replace my stepped on camera. This model has 149 gemstones on it. I'd just like everyone to understand that.

Had so much fun painting it. Now, on to its big brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Anyone know where I could requisition a silver primer spray? As in, what company.

• Locked thread