Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dumbledore 64 posted:

is there an actual reason why so many terrible shows get to air? like i don't mean two and a half men or big bang theory type of bad shows. but shows where they try to actually pull in loyal viewers and absolutely fail completely. in the last couple years we had v, terra nova, falling skies, probably more i am forgetting, ugh. all terrible

because despite the fact it was terrible, terra nova was like the top performing drama that season. a lot of terrible shows get to air and stay on the air because people actually like them.

for all the bitching that happens in this thread, this poo poo sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
the problem with most serious business tv shows that end up being terrible is that most of the characters in them are not people you would want to know or interact with IRL. they have no depth or development. generally they are miserable characters with no joy in anything whose sole purpose is to fill a narrow role. shows like 'the event' or 'flashforward' that tried to use the lost formula failed because every character on those shows were wretched and selfish individuals.

like, data was an android who had a cat named like a dog and had more humanity than most characters in other tv shows. that's why star trek rules and everything else drools.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Dumbledore 64 posted:

is there an actual reason why so many terrible shows get to air? like i don't mean two and a half men or big bang theory type of bad shows. but shows where they try to actually pull in loyal viewers and absolutely fail completely. in the last couple years we had v, terra nova, falling skies, probably more i am forgetting, ugh. all terrible

v, terra nova, and falling skies were all family dramas with a scifi background. people who like family dramas get confused by scifi and people who like scifi get confused by family dramas.

its the worst possible genres to mix

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Boner Buffet posted:

shows like 'the event' or 'flashforward'

yeah i forgot about these terrible shows too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the target market for a huge chunk of shows is dumb as poo poo flyover state moms because they're the target market for advertisements

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NINbuntu 64 posted:

eli was rad because he was a total creepy goon and instead of things going great for him he just cried a bunch and never got laid

for a second i thought you meant eli hodapp

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Endless Mike posted:

he already saw the razer fiona

also why does razer spell their name wrong

Because they can trademark "Razer" but not "Razor".

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Also, what the gently caress is Sid Meier doing that's more important than making an Alpha Centauri 2.

I don't care about 3D models, I just want turns resolved in seconds, and the ability to design custom units if I'm so inclined.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

raruler posted:

and the ability to design custom units if I'm so inclined.

please be inclined to search for "galactic civilizations 2"

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Bedshaped posted:

please be inclined to search for "galactic civilizations 2"

I've played it, it's not up to the standards of SMAC.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

raruler posted:

I've played it, it's not up to the standards of SMAC.

you sir, are a ginormous human being

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i never played AC though so idgaf

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dumbledore 64 posted:

because of you.

it's u

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Bedshaped posted:

you sir, are a ginormous human being

galciv is boring poo poo.

The tech tree is so unbelievably dull. +2% armor effectiveness, yay!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
mooovin' on tip

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

raruler posted:

Also, what the gently caress is Sid Meier doing that's more important than making an Alpha Centauri 2.

I don't care about 3D models, I just want turns resolved in seconds, and the ability to design custom units if I'm so inclined.

Firaxis is currently remaking the original x-com

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sci-Fi postin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42tuVkn7KU4

quote:

A little known cyber punk musical with a love story twist set in a distant future made by Denis & Denis, featuring the most famous songs from their albums "Čuvaj Se" (1984) and "Ja Sam Lažljiva" (1985). This special was broadcast on TV Belgrade in 1985. Songs "Ti i Ja" and "Program Tvog Kompjutera" feature in this part.

Olds should watch this :cool:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

finally caught up with this thread

i hate to have to be the one to break it to you guys, but the only star treks that don't suck balls are wrath of khan and docevil flags

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

golgo13sf posted:

oh, I thought there was more to it. drat that episode kicked rear end.

re:worf's throwaway line, the writers said they had to say something like that because any excuse they came up with would've just sounded dumb

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

honkwins posted:

re:worf's throwaway line, the writers said they had to say something like that because any excuse they came up with would've just sounded dumb

much like ur posting

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

that awful man posted:

i hate to have to be the one to break it to you guys, but the only star treks that don't suck balls are wrath of khan and docevil flags

i'm so mad about this post

toby
Dec 4, 2002

that awful man posted:

docevil flags really are works of art though, i want a zip file with all of them

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

12396 fyad flags.rar

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

honkwins posted:

it was a perfect way to address and dismiss the question, because it's one that matters even less than most trek questions.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
lmao i watched the gambit the other day

how dare the romulons not want to hang around with vulcans!! meanwhile the vulcans literally developed a weapon that kills you using your own feelings

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
"yeah man we totally destroyed this weapon that murders you with your own sense of fear, yep its gone forever"

"ooooh wait"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
some quote from another thread

Ddraig posted:

Star Trek also had the first scripted inter-racial kiss on television, which was a big thing.

e: Reading up on it, "Plato's Stepchildren", apparantly the producers were concerned that if they aired the kiss they would get complaints, so they opted to record two versions, one with the kiss and one without. Shatner and Nichols apparantly flubbed every take of the non kiss version so they would be forced to air the kiss.
:golfclap:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toby posted:

docevil flags really are works of art though, i want a zip file with all of them

not sure this is all of them http://imgur.com/a/UsqWB/all

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

some quote from another thread

:golfclap:

that's rad as hell

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

Kirk posted:

lmao i watched the gambit the other day

how dare the romulons not want to hang around with vulcans!! meanwhile the vulcans literally developed a weapon that kills you using your own feelings

the internet is like the same thing

that ship was the 87 monte carlo of star ships. it was always breaking down and everyone onboard was a jerk.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Boner Buffet posted:

that ship was the 87 monte carlo of star ships. it was always breaking down and everyone onboard was a jerk.

aka the enterprise

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
Nurse Ogawa probably would have been nice :) :) :)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

i laugh at barclay.gif every single time, like at the first frame even

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Shaggar posted:

caprica had a horrible, horrible, horrible story with some absolutely terrible characters, the worst of which was central to the worst plot with the worst actress.

also the technobabble sucked because it made no sense and as much as RDM wants to believe tecnobabble doesnt matter, hes wrong as hell. a robot that cant shoot straight unless it can think and feel is the stupidest loving plot ever.

well, maybe not as stupid as everything about the one dude's daughter.

there were some perfectly fine ideas, but they were all sunk in a sea of poo poo.

if they had tossed the entire religion plot (which only existed because they wanted backstory for why the bsg cyclons belived in god) and stuck to whats his name trying to bring his dead kid back to life while bankrupting himself and his company and getting involved with the mob, then you might have had something worth watching.

or dont do caprica at all and do young adama vs the cylons in the first war.

i liked caprica aside from the hamfisted religious subplot and the v-world part

also that one scene where the cylon takes out the room full of thugs was the best

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

i laugh at barclay.gif every single time, like at the first frame even

i laugh when i curl http://i.imgur.com/Z5iLX.gif | mpg123 -:ovr:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I think I found the best ad for TNG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9eGjZoYoc

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

LP97S posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9eGjZoYoc

holy moly i remember this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LP97S posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9eGjZoYoc

yes. yes you did.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

sci fi postin

BonzoESC posted:

sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Watching Sarek now, it's a good episode because everyone hates Wesley in it and are vocal about it.

• Locked thread