Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
and the fountain wasn't bad. not aronofsky's best, but i think it was still underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

the fountain owns your goddamn face

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

sorry that was a bit over the top...

you'll have to excuse me... just got back from the gym and im amped up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

was that the one in the big space terrarium?

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

ya

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

rotor posted:

was that the one in the big space terrarium?

1/3 of it was in a space snow globe

there was also a spanish conquistador 1/3 and modern day 1/3

all with the same characters. and the stories are interlaced. its super ambitious and barely coherent

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
but visually amazing

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Ridgely_Fan posted:

barely coherent

mlmp

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
aw shucks guess i signed ma post

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I didn't really think much of it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LP97S posted:

If it's done remotely well it could be good.

Also, why the hell does Starfleet surgical staff wear red outfits during surgery? I just checked and it looks like DS9 actually had them wear scrubs.

would, would, and would.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I thought the fountain was neat. Also it was the only Aronofsky film i've seen.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

coaxmetal posted:

I thought the fountain was neat. Also it was the only Aronofsky film i've seen.

pi is great sci-fi. requiem for a dream is good too.

the fountain kinda sucks compared to those two tbh

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
cool. I have the requiem soundtrack and it owns but also I know it's hella depressing and about heroin or something so I don't really want to see it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

coaxmetal posted:

cool. I have the requiem soundtrack and it owns but also I know it's hella depressing and about heroin or something so I don't really want to see it.

its about a lot more than that and its really amazing and you should check it out

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

sorry that was a bit over the top...

you'll have to excuse me... just got back from the gym and im amped up

pic 4 proof

eat poo poo nerdl0rds

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

coaxmetal posted:

it is hella depressing but you should defs check it out. speaking of ownage clint mansell soundtracks and the fountain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FDAkpQSJVA

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

yeah the fountain soundtracks owns the poo poo out of the requiem soundtrack

p much all mansell soundtracks own

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

p much all mansell soundtracks own

truth

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

apparently clint mansell did the soundtrack to the Doom movie

gently caress it, i cant be awake after learning that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

so is anyone gonna talk about how sisko got busted for DUI

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

that's why i said p much

which doesn't mean all inclusive

Pussy Gaz0re
Nov 18, 2011

rotor posted:

so is anyone gonna talk about how Cisco got busted for DHCP

now i am

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

pic 4 proof

eat poo poo nerdl0rds

haha i always laugh at pictures of wildly misshapen dudes like that

look out everyone here comes The Shrugger

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

toby posted:

haha i always laugh at pictures of wildly misshapen dudes like that

look out everyone here comes The Shrugger

he look like he growin out a shell like Donatello

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

i just finished bsg :smith:

you were all so right

i realized it halfway through the season but i couldnt stop watching

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mind Spew posted:

i just finished bsg :smith:

you were all so right

i realized it halfway through the season but i couldnt stop watching

Would the ending have been better for you if you stopped after the final jump or before the "angels" made their last appearance?

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

pic 4 proof

eat poo poo nerdl0rds

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

LP97S posted:

Would the ending have been better for you if you stopped after the final jump or before the "angels" made their last appearance?

after the final jump probably

it all just felt like some big rushed ending with lots of random poo poo happening that didnt make sense to say "technology is bad" and to send crazed religious messages out when the whole series has been pretty ambiguous about it till then

like the religious overtones were always there but the explanation for the ending is just dumb

literally raging irl at how bad it was

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Ridgely_Fan posted:

did anyone else like soderberg's solaris?

i think it was also a good movie

"Solaris" is fantastic. I'm not sure if leaving out the core explanation (the planet is a single living organism that is trying to understand these tiny sentients that are watching it) makes the film better (for being deliberately ambiguous) or worse (for being less coherent).

I knew that one of my previous relationships was doomed when I showed my girlfriend "Solaris" and she complained about the ending. She didn't like having to interpret it, she wanted to be told specifically what happened and felt cheated because they didn't.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Mind Spew posted:

after the final jump probably

it all just felt like some big rushed ending with lots of random poo poo happening that didnt make sense to say "technology is bad" and to send crazed religious messages out when the whole series has been pretty ambiguous about it till then

like the religious overtones were always there but the explanation for the ending is just dumb

literally raging irl at how bad it was

I thought that the part with the technology abandoning was dumb but not terrible. But then when it's a 150,000 years later and the last minute implies that Japan will destroy us all with their crappy robots and sexbots were literally the dumbest loving thing ever. Especially Moore's cameo, it was like "Yeah, I know this is poo poo, just let me read my NatGeo".

It reminded me of DS9's ending with the Pah-Wraiths, so much so that I was shocked when I found out that Moore didn't write the DS9 finale.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ds9 is "what if god was real and did send prophets to guide us"

bsg is "jesus did everything gently caress all yall"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

ds9 is "what if god was real and did send prophets to guide us"

bsg is "jesus did everything gently caress all yall"

Maybe the DS9 bit bothers me more because I could see Q just loving around. Now imagine the DS9 ending was all just a prank by Q.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Heresiarch posted:

"Solaris" is fantastic. I'm not sure if leaving out the core explanation (the planet is a single living organism that is trying to understand these tiny sentients that are watching it) makes the film better (for being deliberately ambiguous) or worse (for being less coherent).

I saw the Soderberg Solaris when it first came out. It's alright, but why remake Solaris when Tarkovsky's film exists and can't really be improved.

Could be the first movie to have a spaceship that's a cluttered dump full of drunk people.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

axolotl farmer posted:

a cluttered dump full of drunk people.
yospos, bithc

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

axolotl farmer posted:

I saw the Soderberg Solaris when it first came out. It's alright, but why remake Solaris when Tarkovsky's film exists and can't really be improved.

I don't really think that the Soderbergh version was meant to be an "improvement". It's a substantially different take on the same core concept and the two films are better looked at independently.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Children of Men is fantastic for no reason that I can quite put my finger on.

i liked all the actors/characters and the way they made everything so believable because neo-fascism is a great response to "a bad thing happens" in TYOOL 20XX

and Julliane Moore getting capped out of nowhere :ohdear:

i can't think of a movie that does tension in the "action" scenes as well as children of men (definately my top 5 all time favs)

the scene where they're trying to get the car started and the first scene when the are running in the refugee city are amazingly well shot and terrifyingly tense to watch for the first time. the combination of great choreography and first person camera angles achieves this imo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Ridgely_Fan posted:

did anyone else like soderberg's solaris?

i think it was also a good movie

the wife and i loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Pussy Gaz0re posted:

i thought it was visually awesome but just kinda okay as a story

• Locked thread