Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hmm, correction, he says it's 144k (my bad), and also that the trans felt great on the test drive. Are they all time bombs or do some survive if it was caught early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

Also, I feel bad saying it but the C30 is based on the Ford Focus hatchback. A lot of the parts actually say Ford on them, we dismantled one at work a few months ago. Don't care who made the fuel tank though, still want one.

Same as my Mazda3, they're all inbred platform mates. It's the good Euro Focus, though, not the lovely old US one. My MS3's brakes are actually the same as the S40 I believe, save for the Mazda lug pattern instead of the Volvo lug pattern.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh dang, I forgot about Ford Europe and how they're significantly less unpleasant. Nice catch, thanks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Splizwarf posted:

Hmm, correction, he says it's 144k (my bad), and also that the trans felt great on the test drive. Are they all time bombs or do some survive if it was caught early?

The biggest problem is that volvo recommended never touching the trans fluid, which basically doomed them all. It may have been replaced already though, which would be good. If you change the fluid every 30k-50k they can last forever.

Also check for the ETM, white label on the side (below the intake manifold) means it's original, yellow label means it's been replaced at least once, they usually die between 80k and 120k. Guaranteed $500 repair if you do it yourself.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same as my Mazda3, they're all inbred platform mates. It's the good Euro Focus, though, not the lovely old US one. My MS3's brakes are actually the same as the S40 I believe, save for the Mazda lug pattern instead of the Volvo lug pattern.

I don't think it's a big deal. I've driven all three (S40, Mazda 3 and the euro Focus) and they all feel like completely different cars.

Also it may make for some cheaper repairs if you need to have certain parts replaced?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Definitely the drivers side drop link that's clunking, the top ball joint is shot. I've ordered a new pair, as well as 9 glowplugs (going to do the wifes car as well).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

I don't think it's a big deal. I've driven all three (S40, Mazda 3 and the euro Focus) and they all feel like completely different cars.

Also it may make for some cheaper repairs if you need to have certain parts replaced?

Yeah, they must've done some serious reworking of the various parts to make three similar cars feel that different.

If it does make for cheaper parts, though, I haven't seen it. Brake consumables for my MS3 are a bit spendy since S40 drivers don't usually care for high performance compounds, and the rotors (by virtue of that Mazda bolt pattern) are unique to the MS3 (and MAYBE the MS6).

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I replaced the struts and balljoints in my '89 240 tonight. I like the car a whole lot more now-prior to the repair, the front end felt spongy and vague, and thanks to the dying struts, it was getting pretty bouncy. Add in the litany of squeaks and clunks it was producing, and it wasn't very confidence-inspiring to drive. Now, it's rock solid and much quieter. It doesn't feel at all like a 23-year-old car, at least in terms of handling.

As a side benefit, I also got the brakes bled properly. The last time I did brake work, I didn't realize that there were three bleeders on each front caliper, and only bled from one of them on each side. After reading Dr. 14IDMD's posts about the number of bleeders on the front calipers of his 142, I figured I'd double-check this time, and lo and behold, I missed the two on the inside edge of the caliper. :downs:

It didn't improve the pedal feel much, but I'm glad to have the peace of mind that comes with doing it right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I might be joining you guys soon...

What should I do with this? (provided I purchase it)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I might be joining you guys soon...

What should I do with this? (provided I purchase it)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460007

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Change all fluids & belts, drive it like you stole it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Cakefool posted:

This, and put a little time and money into the suspension if it needs it.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I finally got my 240 running and I am LOVING IT. Driving this car is so much goddamn fun I finally get why all you nuts keep fixing these rust buckets.

Question, I have a 93' and the front speakers look like they should be easy to replace... Do I just pull off the plastic cover and go to work (I am afraid of breaking it) or do I have to take the whole door apart?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I finally got my 240 running and I am LOVING IT. Driving this car is so much goddamn fun I finally get why all you nuts keep fixing these rust buckets.

Question, I have a 93' and the front speakers look like they should be easy to replace... Do I just pull off the plastic cover and go to work (I am afraid of breaking it) or do I have to take the whole door apart?

Yup. Pull the grill off and you'll see the 4" speaker and 4 screws. If you go aftermarket, the original grill won't work but whatever comes with the new should unless they're exceptionally large. Unless you're going for something high powered and the magnets huge, you shouldn't have a problem with mounting depth.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Changed the first link arm, piece of cake.

Second arm, nuts were already rounded off, no flats on the back to grip, only cutting implement i had was a junior hacksaw.

Which broke.

:negative:

Done now but damnit that wasn't fun. Next job rear brakes then the important one: 1500rpm squeal from the glovebox latch :argh:

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

empty baggie posted:

Yup. Pull the grill off and you'll see the 4" speaker and 4 screws. If you go aftermarket, the original grill won't work but whatever comes with the new should unless they're exceptionally large. Unless you're going for something high powered and the magnets huge, you shouldn't have a problem with mounting depth.

Thanks buddy, that was the easiest install ever. I just like to err on the side of caution when it comes to plastic.

Seriously, this car is way too much fun. Especially in the snow with snow tires on it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cakefool posted:

whelp I bought it.

New belts. probably could use a timing belt though.
also needs new suspension bushings, speedo gear, rear tires and brakes.

other than that and some body damage it's awesome. It's been really well maintained.
I am loving stoked.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What should I do with this?

From what I've learned from these here forums, *you* shouldn't take it apart in any way or capacity. Get someone else to do it, fine. Just don't do it yourself, 'cause things you take apart seem to stay apart. ;)

Welcome to Jonestown.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nidhg00670000 posted:

From what I've learned from these here forums, *you* shouldn't take it apart in any way or capacity. Get someone else to do it, fine. Just don't do it yourself, 'cause things you take apart seem to stay apart. ;)

Welcome to Jonestown.

Yeah, at the moment I have a strict "no more projects" rule.
I have 12 motorcycles in my garage/shed in various stages of completeness. none of them 100%.
http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com

I think for the time being I'm just going to get it roadworthy and drive the poo poo out of it. I'm sure that it will eventually become a project, but I've got a few other things I need clear out first.

idgaf.jpg

thought about it but those are a bit too hard to come by.
I wonder if i can fit a whole Explorer 5.0 and 4wd drivetrain under there though...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 23, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cakefool posted:

then the important one: 1500rpm squeal from the glovebox latch :argh:

Brace the poo poo out of it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

remove it entirely.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Changed the first link arm, piece of cake.

Second arm, nuts were already rounded off, no flats on the back to grip, only cutting implement i had was a junior hacksaw.

Which broke.

:negative:

Done now but damnit that wasn't fun. Next job rear brakes then the important one: 1500rpm squeal from the glovebox latch :argh:

Some careful bending of the wire hoop that it latches on will tighten that right up. Although if it's just a squeak, put some oil on it! I don't know why people don't go for that as the first solution anymore.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

remove it entirely.

That's actually what I did. When people ask why I don't have a glove box, I tell them that it was stolen, which makes for some pretty satisfying :psyduck: moments.

-=-

Hey who wants to listen to a sad story?

I got an impacted wisdom tooth cut out on Thursday. Got the day off work Friday, made it through the weekend on serious painkillers. They ran out at the end of the weekend, but the dentist was only open weekdays so I couldn't get more when I had the free time; I had to contact them today and go pick the meds up on my lunch break. Well, that sucks, but it beats no meds, right?

On the way there my alternator gave up the ghost. :suicide: Someone brought me a battery from work, but that was only enough to get back to work (barely) and wasn't going to get me to the druggist and back.

So now I have a gaping door into the Pain Dimension in my face and I'm waiting for a slot in the back garage so I can put an alternator in my car so I can go get my meds and I am having a bad day. gently caress everything. :shobon:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

The internet told me to dear...

Anyway, turns out you can't buy a strut brace for a diesel so

LloydDobler posted:

Some careful bending of the wire hoop that it latches on will tighten that right up. Although if it's just a squeak, put some oil on it! I don't know why people don't go for that as the first solution anymore.

Greased the living crap out of the hoop, locking mechanism & hinges, no change. I hadn't thought of bending the loop but that is a good plan.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Don't say I never gave you guys anything:

"My name is Max Rossi and I am the VP of Customer Service at FCP. I wanted to personally reach out and thank you for your support of our company. As a token of my gratitude please feel free to use my coupon code “maxrossi20” for 20% off any of our websites through the next 30 days. Please just keep us in mind for future orders and feel free to pass along this code to any of your friends and family."

I like FCPGroton for some things and IPD for others. Both have been pretty reliable. It is usually pretty easy to get 10% off and free shipping, so this is just an extra 10% but everything helps.

MODS, if this is verbotten, mea culpa please feel free to remove.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

They tend to hand out coupons like candy, but that's a good one. I got it too, and already used it to buy the fairly expensive OEM cabin fan for my V70. That car is killing me with incidental expenses, but it should go to 200k once I get through them all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I think I know what I want to do with my recent purchase:

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

whelp I bought it.

New belts. probably could use a timing belt though.
also needs new suspension bushings, speedo gear, rear tires and brakes.

other than that and some body damage it's awesome. It's been really well maintained.
I am loving stoked.

What's up dark blue 240 buddy - the blemishes on my NA 240 are uncannily similar.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ch1mp posted:

What's up dark blue 240 buddy - the blemishes on my NA 240 are uncannily similar.

mine's NA also. I think it's black though... it doesn't really matter either way.
I'm eventually going to paint it cream / olive

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Why do some people need to be massive assholes?

From that thing I posted a few weeks ago about selling the 240 wagon for parts, the buyers have been reaming me over crap on TB's about it. AKA The car I sold for $500, which I wanted to sell parts only, and the guys ended up buying it to drive it 1000 miles back home.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250027

Its like trying to disclose everything I can remember on a car that I haven't used in years... driven maybe 10 miles in 5 years, and getting people bitching on exhaust leaks, ball joints, and whatnot on a car pushing 21 years that has been modified to hell and back when I just wanted to sell parts off of it.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 2, 2012

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Wiper problems on an 1988 Volvo 240
  • Old problem: My right headlight wiper keeps shooting up in the vertical position and gets stuck between the grill and the headlight. I put it back, and it pouts--not functioning for a while, until it goes back to normal after a few days.
  • My wind shield wipers just recently stopped doing anything. They're on the no. 2 fuse, along with the headlight wipers and the horn, which mostly work (see above). I replaced the fuse anyway because it was ugly.
    No positions of the right lever will get them moving. Does this sound like a relay problem, or does the same relay control the headlight wipers?

I am in Sweden, so the wipers are the most important part of the car not actually driving the wheels. Help!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bad news: little bro sold his 245 & replaced it with a passat.

Good news: the bloke he sold it to is planning on getting 450bhp out of the redblock with a twin turbo setup & will keep him informed.

I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it didn't get scrapped.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Volvo doin what Volvo do:

Vosozoku? Or Snosozoku? 19 inch wing yo.

The nicest part about colorado, the snow just melts off the next day, at least where it's been shoved aside. Friday was the first snow day I've had in 4 years.

Since taking this pic half an hour ago, my car is not only completely snow free, but dry.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

dietcokefiend posted:

Why do some people need to be massive assholes?

From that thing I posted a few weeks ago about selling the 240 wagon for parts, the buyers have been reaming me over crap on TB's about it. AKA The car I sold for $500, which I wanted to sell parts only, and the guys ended up buying it to drive it 1000 miles back home.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250027

Its like trying to disclose everything I can remember on a car that I haven't used in years... driven maybe 10 miles in 5 years, and getting people bitching on exhaust leaks, ball joints, and whatnot on a car pushing 21 years that has been modified to hell and back when I just wanted to sell parts off of it.

I chimed in in support. Shoulda just sold me the go fast bits and junked the rest.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Lord Gaga posted:

I chimed in in support. Shoulda just sold me the go fast bits and junked the rest.

I know :(

Basically started off with good intentions, they were the first buyer to put down money on getting the car as a whole (easiest for me). Then the entire thing turned into an odd clusterfuck when the guys ran into troubles with another car their friends bought on the same trip, pushed their pickup time back a day, and forced me to deal with the transaction at midnight. Complaints of rust, wheel bearing, wheels being not balanced and then seeing them bitch and moan later is just astounding.

The guy I worked with joked I should have just driven the car into the river, I think next time its either trade my car in at a dealer or launch it into the Ohio river to not deal with this sort of crap.

The entire reason I priced it so low was to find a buyer interested in the parts the car had, not the car as a whole, and come to relieve me of the car sitting in my driveway.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh im so loving tempted to ditch my 850 for a V70 II. Its expensive but i think i could afford it. Its a Diesel so i would save a ton on fuel and insurance is much cheaper too.
But i just spend so much money to fix up the 850 and im never gonna get that back if i sell it because the paint and the interior is in pretty bad condition. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and sell it so i can enjoy the pristine condition the V70 is in...

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I woulda been like yay, hooray, I love these parts. And if the swap made them unusable just sold them to another goon. Plus since its a 91 Redblock you coulda gotten a pretty good amount for the motor. Arent those the awesome ones?

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
The B230s (F and FT) from '90 on have somewhat sturdier rods than the earlier ones, but otherwise there's nothing special about them. The B230FT got piston oil squirters in '93, and those blocks are generally considered to be the most desirable among enthusiasts.

In terms of rotating assembly, the most durable OHC redblocks (stock for stock) are the B21/23 series, but they're getting less and less common.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

Ugh im so loving tempted to ditch my 850 for a V70 II. Its expensive but i think i could afford it. Its a Diesel so i would save a ton on fuel and insurance is much cheaper too.
But i just spend so much money to fix up the 850 and im never gonna get that back if i sell it because the paint and the interior is in pretty bad condition. Maybe i should just bite the bullet and sell it so i can enjoy the pristine condition the V70 is in...

How many miles do you do? What's the difference in insurance?

Also, where are you & what colour is the 850?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

How many miles do you do? What's the difference in insurance?

Also, where are you & what colour is the 850?

I did a lot of math today and its just not worth it for the money. I save on fuel and insurance (or i could get better insurance, which i probably would, for the same money) but taxes here are way higher for diesel cars so it pretty much cancels out. It would be a much nicer car but it also costs a lot of money.
Theres another V70 around which costs exactly the same, has just under 100k km on the clock (thats 50k less than the other one) and is even a loving bi-fuel which would save even more on fuel. Even the taxes are alright because its not a diesel. But the wive says she will never drive a silver car...goddamnit woman!

Oh yeah the 850 is dark blue but it won't do you any good cause im in germany and that might be a bit far for a road trip ;)