Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

unterdude posted:

I'm looking for a 3rd person PC action RPG/hack n slash. I know Kingdoms of Amalur is coming out. I've played The Witcher, but the camera movement turned me off. Computer can't run TW2. Should I give Fable another go? The last time I tried playing it, I thought it was slow and shallow.

I'll personally be waiting for Kingdom to hit a decent sale. It seems like a really cool game, but gently caress 50 or 60 bucks.

Divinity 2 though. It goes on sale fairly frequently. It's also a fantastic game, with great writing. Honestly, I think I've recommend this game personally more then any other game has been recommended in this thread. It's everything Fable wishes it could be. And so so much more. Just get the Dragon Knight Saga and not ego draconis.

My other over recommended game is Risen. It takes place on an island. The combat is awesome. A combo of hard as gently caress and fair enough to make you hate yourself. It also has some great writing. It's 6 bucks on amazon right now. DRM free.

And Fable is a fun enough game. Nothing amazing, but it's a nice little 6 hour romp. Really though, I only found it fun in trying to break it and find overpowered skills. Like life leech. Life leech is so overpowered against everything but the last boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Dragon's Dogma is looking good for that.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

TheGame posted:

I'm after a good casual puzzle game (words or numbers) for the PC, preferably available through Steam. I loved SquareLogic and played it for 50 hours, but I want to try something new. I'm looking for a game that presents fairly similar puzzles repeatedly-- I'm not interested in a game like Puzzle Agent that presents different types of puzzles throughout a narrative.

Word puzzles are a bonus (Quarrel looks perfect but it's XBL only), and a game that gets really challenging would be awesome.

Have you tried Clickr? It's on Steam. Also Bookworm Adventures isn't too bad

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

TehKeen posted:

Could anyone recommend a good automotive racing game for the PC? I'm really jonesing to play something like Gran Turismo 5 or Forza, but my most modern console is my PS2.

Preferably something more sim-ish like GT rather than arcade-y like Need for Speed.

Don't play a lot of racing games myself, but I've got a friend who plays em, and he loves DiRT 2. Maybe you could give that a look.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Darval posted:

Don't play a lot of racing games myself, but I've got a friend who plays em, and he loves DiRT 2. Maybe you could give that a look.
Yeah, I second this recommendation. I've found Dirt 2, 3 and Grid (all developed by Codemasters) to be pretty enjoyable racing games on PC.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

kissekatt posted:

Is LBP or LBP2 to prefer? Assume stock maps only, downloading stuff to the PS3 is a bit of a hassle.

I haven't played 2 but it's supposed to introduce other game styles so it may have less platforming content. I guess that would make LBP1 the best choice if you're just looking for platforming, the Game of the Year version in particular as it comes with extra levels on the disc.

polystyrus posted:

Just popping in to say I'm really enjoying Suikoden, thanks Badguy. Haven't played an RPG in something like 10 years.

Happy to help, it's easily my favourite RPG series. Such a shame Suiko II's so hard to get, cause it completely blows the original out of the water. If you have access to a PS2 you could try Suikoden V, it has a similar one handed control scheme to the first two titles. Also each Suikoden is its own self contained story, so you'd only be missing out on some character/region backstory by skipping ahead.

Billy Bob FORTRAN posted:

I'm rather sick right now, and nothing makes me feel better about my infirmities than a super obsessive game.

I'm perversely interested in number crunching games, or just games that allow you to climb a pretty steep upgrade ladder by way of brutal efficiency. The more items and numbers and poo poo to acquire, the better. My usual go-to in this case would be Harvest Moon, but those games don't seem to get released outside of portable consoles anymore.

For those who might get the reference, think Way of the Samurai 2's sword upgrade system. Tons of weapons with variable names and stats and histories.

TLDR: I'd prefer something that can be played natively on the PC or emulated, and I just want to forge and upgrade poo poo for hours and hours and hours.
Disgaea would be an ideal recommendation here, but it's not on PC. I don't think there's any direct item upgrading in it yet, but in Terraria you're constantly collecting/mining material to craft into weapons/tools so you can collect/mine better material to craft into better weapons/tools and so on. Not exactly what you're looking for, but might scratch that itch a little.

zenintrude posted:

Here's my deal: I like games with strong artistic designs/interesting settings, stories being told in non-traditional ways, digestible gaming episodes, and mid-ranged difficulties.
Killer7 and the Siren series. Killer7's got a bit of a learning curve, but that's mostly down to getting used to how it plays. Game's split into several self contained acts and also has a number of overarching plot threads. The Siren games jump between several different characters at different points in time. After finishing one section you could next be shown events that happened several hours previously, or something that happened at the same time but from someone else's perspective in a different location. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus should go here as well for drawing you into their world though the environments you pass through and your interactions with your companion characters instead of trying to hammer points home via cutscenes.

For something newer try Alice Madness Returns (though I guess its overly long levels could hardly be called "digestible"). To the Moon or Half-Life-mod-turned-standalone-game Dear Esther might interest you, but I haven't played either yet. There's also The Path, but even though I didn't have an altogether bad time with the game it really isn't something I can feel comfortable recommending to another person.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 1, 2012

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

unterdude posted:

I'm looking for a 3rd person PC action RPG/hack n slash. I know Kingdoms of Amalur is coming out. I've played The Witcher, but the camera movement turned me off. Computer can't run TW2. Should I give Fable another go? The last time I tried playing it, I thought it was slow and shallow.

Have you tried Torchlight? It's basically a modern take on Diablo 1. It's pretty light on story but has a lot of loot and replayability. And it'll run on pretty much anything.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

unterdude posted:

How about Sacred 2? I had a lot of fun with it on PS3/360.

Manos del Sino posted:

It doesn't quite fit in with the other games you listed, but Bastion has all of the qualities you seem to be seeking, in aRPG format. The levels are relatively short and digestible in several-minute chunks, the difficulty is completely manageable within the game itself as you can choose to handicap your character in return for greater rewards (and undo your choices if you find yourself overwhelmed), the environments are gorgeous, and the narrative is the game's greatest draw.

Badguy posted:

Killer7 and the Siren series. Killer7's got a bit of a learning curve, but that's mostly down to getting used to how it plays. Game's split into several self contained acts and also has a number of overarching plot threads. The Siren games jump between several different characters at different points in time. After finishing one section you could next be shown events that happened several hours previously, or something that happened at the same time but from someone else's perspective in a different location. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus should go here as well for drawing you into their world though the environments you pass through and your interactions with your companion characters instead of trying to hammer points home via cutscenes.

The funny thing is that I actually own all of these, but none of them gripped me when I started playing them initially. I don't think I'll ever be able to get into Killer7 (which is a shame, because it's so goddamned cool) but I am thinking of revisiting Siren: Blood Curse tonight... hopefully what turned me off the first time (not really being able to fight back, seemingly always running away) is less stressful for me this time around. If that doesn't work, I'll be booting up Bastion again.

And Ico/SotC rank among my favorites of all time, so you're right on the mark there.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 1, 2012

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Ico was made by the same team as Shadow of the Colossus. You don't kill giants but it has a similar feel, and the non-North American versions and PS3 rerelease have optional coop, but I think it has to be unlocked by beating the game single player (not sure). Sorry, I can't think of anything for the 360, but if you've got a Nintendo console you could play Zelda and take turns.

Yeah I didn't think there was anything for the 360 out there that I can play with MY GIRLFRIEND, I was just hoping this thread could think of something

The Grinch
Apr 29, 2006

I'm a chav and I'll fucking kick the shit out of all of you! I'm a real tough guy!
Thought it'd be better posting in here than starting a new thread.

I'm looking for a few new games. I like epic RPGs (think Fallout 3, Skyrim) and first person shooters (Half-Life 2), and I also enjoy RTS games (Sins of a Solar Empire).

I'd like a couple new ones, ideally in either high fantasy settings or space-based. I'm not too fussed on the setting of any FPS games, though. They don't have to be really new, but I'd prefer newer to old.

Any suggestions?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
STALKER series is a sweet FPS with some RPG elements (quests, lots and lots and lots of different weapons/items, mysterious powerup artifacts, etc.). Vampire Bloodlines is a little old, but probably the best atmosphere in an action RPG.

Just play STALKER because everyone should play STALKER.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

The Grinch posted:

Thought it'd be better posting in here than starting a new thread.

I'm looking for a few new games. I like epic RPGs (think Fallout 3, Skyrim) and first person shooters (Half-Life 2), and I also enjoy RTS games (Sins of a Solar Empire).

I'd like a couple new ones, ideally in either high fantasy settings or space-based. I'm not too fussed on the setting of any FPS games, though. They don't have to be really new, but I'd prefer newer to old.

Any suggestions?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, should tick all your boxes. Galactic Civilizations 2 with all the expansions is a must-play too, though turn-based rather than RTS.

I just ran into a game-ending bug in Stalker: CS so I could use a replacement. Something really atmospheric with lots of guns, upgrades, shopping etc. Any ideas?

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I was playing this little steam game called Space Pirates and Zombies which is a fast paced top down space shooter where you outfit and control multiple ships and proceed to destroy multiple ships. I want to play something like that, designing of my own ships is nice but not required and I should at least be able to change what weapons they have.

A British Nerd
Jan 18, 2012

Master of the Smurfs
Chuck Fan

Serious Michael posted:

I was playing this little steam game called Space Pirates and Zombies which is a fast paced top down space shooter where you outfit and control multiple ships and proceed to destroy multiple ships. I want to play something like that, designing of my own ships is nice but not required and I should at least be able to change what weapons they have.

A simplified version of that concept can be found in the Upgrade Complete flash games http://www.kongregate.com/search?q=upgrade+complete

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Serious Michael posted:

SPAZ is partially inspired by the Escape Velocity series. They're mostly Mac games but Nova has a Windows version and mods that bring the old games into the new engine.

Be aware that they are much more boring and passive games, mostly centered around trade and courier missions, especially at the beginning of each game.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any strategy RPGs like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics on the PC? I'm really longing for a good turn based strategy.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is there such a thing as a text-only RPG? Something like a single-player MUD with an actual story, or an IF game with actual gameplay.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Is there such a thing as a text-only RPG? Something like a single-player MUD with an actual story, or an IF game with actual gameplay.

If there is one, I'd like to know about it too. As far as I know, the closest you'll get to it are these (and of course The Big One.)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Danger Mahoney posted:

This right here is my dream...I've even tried to make one myself more than a few times after not finding any decent alternatives. (sadly I lack the attention span...and the programming skill :()

The Reliques of Tolti-Aph is the closest thing I can think of of what you're looking for, but even that's more a proof of concept than a full RPG.

If you're going to go the gamebook route Fabled Lands is pretty great, though the link at HOTU seems to be broken. I'm pretty sure it's hosted in several other places though.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Themage posted:

Are there any strategy RPGs like Disgaea or Final Fantasy Tactics on the PC? I'm really longing for a good turn based strategy.

Jagged Alliance 2 and X-Com are some of the best turn based strategy games around, but they don't feature leveling up and abilities in the same way that FFT or Disgaea do. There are pretty big megathreads on the forums for both JA2 and X-Com - give them a read and see if it's your thing.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Themage posted:

Grotesque Tactics sells itself as such, but it is not. FFT is one of my favorite games ever, and GT was one of the biggest wastes of time and money I've put into a game. Just not my cup of tea.

You could always play FFT-Advance and FFTA2 on the PC. I did and it was awesome.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

CerebralDonut posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 and X-Com are some of the best turn based strategy games around, but they don't feature leveling up and abilities in the same way that FFT or Disgaea do. There are pretty big megathreads on the forums for both JA2 and X-Com - give them a read and see if it's your thing.

This guy's right but also consider Fallout Tactics, which has turn based or real-time and is mostly unloved due to not being a third Fallout rpg when people wanted a straight rpg instead of a rpg-tactics type game.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Are there any procedurally generated adventure games out there apart from Minecraft and Terraria?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atlas Moth posted:

Are there any procedurally generated adventure games out there apart from Minecraft and Terraria?

What counts as an adventure game to you? I normally think of "adventure games" as stuff like Monkey Island or King's Quest, but you seem to have a broad definition that could cover many games. All roguelikes are procedurally generated, for instance.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What counts as an adventure game to you? I normally think of "adventure games" as stuff like Monkey Island or King's Quest, but you seem to have a broad definition that could cover many games. All roguelikes are procedurally generated, for instance.

I get my genres mixed up. I should've said RPG. Basically, I'm looking for a free-roaming game with a solid amount of replayability and decent customization options. Big plus if the game isn't story-driven. You're probably thinking Bethesda games but I'd prefer something that's not too intensive as my laptop's a piece of poo poo.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Have you tried roguelikes? There are some pretty open-ended ones.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Pretty sure "roguelike" is exactly the term he's looking for.

Some version of Angband might probably be the easiest to get into.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
I tried getting into Dwarf Fortress, its adventure mode and other roguelikes of that nature but masochist gaming is not my thing.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Uhh Dwarf fortress is horrible. There are many others which are far more sensible and easier to get into. Try Zangband and such for fun classic style, or some of the newer graphical ones. Dungeons of Dredmor or something?

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Are there Mario Party style games for the 360? I loved getting drunk with my buds and battling it out.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

pigdog posted:

Uhh Dwarf fortress is horrible. There are many others which are far more sensible and easier to get into. Try Zangband and such for fun classic style, or some of the newer graphical ones. Dungeons of Dredmor or something?

I peeked around a little and what I'm looking for is basically a single-player version of Tibia.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Atlas Moth posted:

I tried getting into Dwarf Fortress, its adventure mode and other roguelikes of that nature but masochist gaming is not my thing.

Like pigdog said, Dungeons of Dredmor should fit pretty well. It's not very expensive on steam, and is very undemanding of hardware.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Atlas Moth posted:

I get my genres mixed up. I should've said RPG. Basically, I'm looking for a free-roaming game with a solid amount of replayability and decent customization options. Big plus if the game isn't story-driven. You're probably thinking Bethesda games but I'd prefer something that's not too intensive as my laptop's a piece of poo poo.

Exile 3/Avernum 3 might be up your alley.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Is there anything Advance War-ish on the PC/Mac?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Atlas Moth posted:

I peeked around a little and what I'm looking for is basically a single-player version of Tibia.

Get thee to the Tome4 thread

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I'm looking for a racing game to play with some buddies. Ideally, I'd like free-roaming racing, with no invisible walls: if I hit a ramp with enough speed, I wanna be able to clear buildings, or even land on the roof. Multiple fun game modes (tag, capture the flag, etc), destructible terrrain, and a damage system for the cars would all be huge pluses. Insane 2 is sort of like what we're looking for, but the relatively boring stages kind of hurt that game.

If it helps, our favorite racing game to play together, by far, was Carmageddon, because of the utterly hilarious and ridiculous (non-scripted) poo poo you could do. We'd gladly just keep playing Carmageddon with updated graphics and workable netcode, but alas.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Cowcatcher posted:

Is there anything Advance War-ish on the PC/Mac?

Haven't played either of them, but Future Wars and Battle Isle look similar.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ashenai posted:

I'm looking for a racing game to play with some buddies. Ideally, I'd like free-roaming racing, with no invisible walls: if I hit a ramp with enough speed, I wanna be able to clear buildings, or even land on the roof. Multiple fun game modes (tag, capture the flag, etc), destructible terrrain, and a damage system for the cars would all be huge pluses. Insane 2 is sort of like what we're looking for, but the relatively boring stages kind of hurt that game.

If it helps, our favorite racing game to play together, by far, was Carmageddon, because of the utterly hilarious and ridiculous (non-scripted) poo poo you could do. We'd gladly just keep playing Carmageddon with updated graphics and workable netcode, but alas.

Burnout Paradise sounds like what you're looking for.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I know this is a goofy question with the obvious answer being "get both" but I'm broke and value goon opinions.

Played out on bf3 and skyrim so I'm trying to decide between Batman Arkham city and saints row the third.
I know that Batman is game of the year material but something is drawing me towards sr3...I haven't played a sand box game in ages! Is it different enough from the gta series to be interesting?

Keep in mind I haven't played any previous games in either series. Story lines aren't a huge factor for me either.

Edit: xbox 360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I know this is a goofy question with the obvious answer being "get both" but I'm broke and value goon opinions.

Played out on bf3 and skyrim so I'm trying to decide between Batman Arkham city and saints row the third.
I know that Batman is game of the year material but something is drawing me towards sr3...I haven't played a sand box game in ages! Is it different enough from the gta series to be interesting?

Keep in mind I haven't played any previous games in either series. Story lines aren't a huge factor for me either.

Edit: xbox 360

Saints' Row: the Saints take over Stillwater.
Saints' Row 2: the Saints re-conquer Stillwater.
Saints' Row the Third: the Saints set their sights on a new city, armed with a dedicated dick-punching button.